Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by StevenH »

My thought process on Miller: "I know only 2 WNBA players: Sheryl Swoopes and...Leslie something? Leslie Miller? I don't think that's it, but now that I think about it I think that Reggie Miller has a sister who played. Let's try that." I didn't even realize that Lisa Leslie was the name I was thinking of and Leslie Miller was a former J! contestant until this morning!

I lucked out with a 6(4)-5(2) win yesterday. Thank goodness I knew Amy Grant in what is usually a weak category for me. I also thought I was so clever for teasing out Avignon for Moscow; I wasn't expecting the former to be the MCWA!
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I managed a lucky 8(4)-7(5) win since my opponent gave me 0 for Moscow and 1 for the basketball siblings.

I knew that I'd seen a picture of the basketball siblings before and went through a ton of guys I knew to be hall of famers hoping that one would lead me to the eureka moment but I just never got to Reggie Miller. I was pretty surprised that 'Bird' wasn't the MCWA since Sue Bird is one of the few women's players that I can name off the top of my head and, well, I think everyone knows Larry Bird.

If anybody here got Moscow, I'd love to know what led you to it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

mcsheffrey wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:08 am
In retrospect, the key was Basil III --> St. Basil's Cathedral, Red Square. I had no clue so I put Avignon

Got just 1 right yesterday and tumbled to 3rd place

3 MCWA in 1 day! That must be a personal best!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

dnbguy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:14 am So it had to happen eventually: after a terrific start to the season, I only got Isuzu right yesterday. I got Grant Hill and Reggie Miller mixed up, and I'm mad I couldn't think of Sikhism.
(MD9) Same here. I must be contagious, though, because my opponent also got only one question right (Q1).
  • :x I seized on the "Guru" part and wrote in "Hinduism", then erased it and put in Sikhism, then erased it and put "Hinduism" back. Two days in a row I've done that to myself on a question.
  • :( No clue. I kept trying to come up with a name — any name — from one of the dominant Lady Vols or UConn teams, and failed. Never got to Miller, WAGged "Naismith".
  • :mrgreen: Insta-got Isuzu from the Rodeo, confirmed with Amigo and Trooper, all of which were wildly popular small SUVs from back before the category became dominated by three-ton civilian school buses. Good thing I love cars, because I whiffed on every other question. This one was also easy to dredge out of my brain because of:
    • Tangent Question: Name the actor who portrayed Isuzu's most famous satirical sleazy spokesman, Joe Isuzu.
    • Spoiler
  • :( Yet another 50/50/90 that went the wrong way in my head. "Russian orthodox? So, Moscow? Nah, I think it was that weird alt-Catholic thing. Where was that again? Started with A. Aachen? Let's go with that." It turns out that I was about four centuries early with that one.
  • :( I recognize the name Amy Grant, but never followed her music, nor had any idea she had a "Christian album" before her pop career took off. Oh well.
  • :oops: TIL that there are some surprisingly common computer science acronyms that I've never examined before, and all those "*EG" acronyms stand for Experts Group. Womp womp.
This match came down to a combination of bad luck on questions vs. good luck on defense. I gave up only one point on Q1 and claimed a two-pointer in Q3 to score an astounding 2(1)-1(1) win. I'm not proud of it, but I'll take it. The rundle as a whole either aced or flunked MD9, with one six-pack, one 8(4), five scores of (*)1, and seven 0(0) scores, including two 0(0)-0(0) ties.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wpwells »

mcsheffrey wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:08 am I managed a lucky 8(4)-7(5) win since my opponent gave me 0 for Moscow and 1 for the basketball siblings.

I knew that I'd seen a picture of the basketball siblings before and went through a ton of guys I knew to be hall of famers hoping that one would lead me to the eureka moment but I just never got to Reggie Miller. I was pretty surprised that 'Bird' wasn't the MCWA since Sue Bird is one of the few women's players that I can name off the top of my head and, well, I think everyone knows Larry Bird.

Basil = Russia (St. Basil's) = Moscow
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

9(6)-9(6) tie for me yesterday and I dropped a spot in the rankings. Rundle A problems!

The only one I wasn't very confident of was Moscow and I figured that was the best guess due to Basil. I did consider Avignon, but thought that was considerably earlier (and it was).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Reddpen will probably never speak to me after yesterday's outcome. When he wished me luck, I doubt that he was thinking of a 5(3)-4(4) loss. Luck? Yeah, I had a bit. Q6 was cribbed from my notes for my upcoming 1DS on the Internet (gratuitous plug) -- scratch that question! My Kosman Koin came up with Debbie Gibson for Amy Grant and I totally biffed the Sikhism (Baha'i) and Rome questions (missed the Basil hint).
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:11 am In retrospect, the key was Basil III --> St. Basil's Cathedral, Red Square. I had no clue so I put Avignon
Oh man, I completely missed that connection. In my mind "Basil III" was simplified to "the Pope" and I paid no attention to the name. I also didn't consider anything that far east because it was so long after the Great Schism.

I will always remember the Isuzu Trooper thanks to this Letterman interview with Rosie Perez
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I thought it was common trivia knowledge Moscow considered itself the Third Rome.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

mcsheffrey wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 am In my mind "Basil III" was simplified to "the Pope" and I paid no attention to the name.
And after further reading I realize that my assumption of Basil being a pope was way off base. Grand Duke of Moscow makes way more sense.
dhkendall wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:17 am I thought it was common trivia knowledge Moscow considered itself the Third Rome.
It just became a little commoner!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:17 am
I thought it was common trivia knowledge Moscow considered itself the Third Rome.
Umm...no. :oops: I went with Jerusalem.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

I was one of the many players who answered Q1 "Hinduism". Somewhat inexcusable, considering that my hometown has a substantial Sikh community; our public library recently sponsored a "Get to Know Your Sikh Neighbor" event; and I've passed the Sikh temple, Gurdwara Sahib Singh Sabha of Michigan, countless times on my way out of town.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I always think of Germany considering itself the Third Something.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

All the good luck that I was having this season came to a tragic end yesterday. I could have maybe had 5 questions right, but I only got the TV show and lost.

-I tried to think of Amy Tan's name and would have known the work right away if I did, but I couldn't pull it.
-The Erie Canal seemed way too obvious, so I went with the St. Lawrence Seaway instead.
-I'm pretty sure that there was a time when I could have named the author of Our American Cousin, but I have apparently forgotten. But this is one where I still should have been able to connect the dots.
-I thought of Gothic on the art question. I also thought of the Visigoths and Ostrogoths. It never dawned on me that the term "Gothic art" came from their name. I didn't make the connection and guessed Carolingian.

On the bright side I think that 9 straight MDs without a preventable loss is a record for me.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

Ugh, I was one word away from a perfect score and what might have been my best and only chance to sit atop A Valley (albeit in a tie). I was so excited when I figured out what made the play significant but then could only get as close as "My American Cousin" for the play's name.

Oh well, I was pretty pleased when I stopped thinking of religious groups for the art period and realized the link between 'gothic' and 'goths' for the first time ever. Seriously, how did I never notice that connection before?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The surprising one for me yesterday was "Studio 60..." No way I'd ever remember that and I'm impressed 40% did, and based on the LL message board looks like quite a few more got dinged by not answering with the full title.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:05 am The surprising one for me yesterday was "Studio 60..." No way I'd ever remember that and I'm impressed 40% did, and based on the LL message board looks like quite a few more got dinged by not answering with the full title.
When i saw the answer, it rang a tiny bell.

Considering some of the things he gave credit for that never, ever should have flown, I'm surprised that this wasn't counted correct.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

ElendilPickle wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:19 pm
Umm...no. :oops: I went with Jerusalem.
So did I. Now I feel better as I am in good company.

I won yesterday with five correct to move out of the relegation zone for the moment, but I still haven't gotten a feel for this season yet, particularly on defense. I'll never get within promotion range to B (which is undoubtedly a good thing) and I suspect a struggle to keep from being demoted back to D.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:07 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:05 am The surprising one for me yesterday was "Studio 60..." No way I'd ever remember that and I'm impressed 40% did, and based on the LL message board looks like quite a few more got dinged by not answering with the full title.
When i saw the answer, it rang a tiny bell.

Considering some of the things he gave credit for that never, ever should have flown, I'm surprised that this wasn't counted correct.
I remembered "Sunset Strip" but couldn't dredge up the rest of the name, after banishing "77" from my brain. I'm actually glad they didn't accept Studio 60, since I felt I got halfway there with the last half of the name, but was sure he would never give it to me with that much.

I beat my silly-suffixed nemesis, giving him his first loss, and allowing patkav to take over first place in AMag. You're welcome!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:52 am
I beat my silly-suffixed nemesis, giving him his first loss, and allowing patkav to take over first place in AMag. You're welcome!
Thank you. He poured beer all over my head the previous day. Pissed me off.