Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by cmp146 »

I had a rare 4(4) to 2(2) victory in A Magnolia yesterday. I thought I was getting a 9(6), and then saw my errors: missing the last part of Studio 60 (I even forgot that there were more words until seeing the answer) and "Our American Friend" instead of Cousin. Oops.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

Odd goings-on in A Horizon. I'm 5-3-2, but three of the five wins were by forfeit. I'd like to stay out of the relegation zone, but I prefer to do it on the merits rather than have forfeit wins handed to me.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Patting myself on the back for getting Our American Cousin- one of the few new things I've learned that have actually stuck in my brain. I was a little nervous that I might misfire on the possessive or the relative, but nope - nailed it cold :P

Got lucky with a 5(4)-4(4) win and a return to 1st place (surely this won't last)

Thought long and hard about Studio 60... and nimby, but got nowhere fast. NHO nimby, TBH. Gumby, sure, but nimby? I put scab just to have something. This one was YEKIOYD
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The word 'suspended' totally threw me off and I kept thinking of the Spider-Man musical or things with marionettes or Pippin, you know, stuff like that.

Perhaps if it had said 'interrupted' them I might have had a chance.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:13 pm The word 'suspended' totally threw me off and I kept thinking of the Spider-Man musical or things with marionettes or Pippin, you know, stuff like that.

Perhaps if it had said 'interrupted' them I might have had a chance.
I had trouble parsing that question. It made sense in retrospect, but I just wasn't understanding what he was getting at with his wording (but I wasn't thinking of your 'suspending').
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:13 pm The word 'suspended' totally threw me off and I kept thinking of the Spider-Man musical or things with marionettes or Pippin, you know, stuff like that.
I was about to give the Spider-Man musical as my joke answer as well, but when I re-read it and honed in on "singular performance" I made the switch. I think if this had said "specific" instead, this would have been easier yet.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I ended a 4-match losing streak with a Dolly Parton, winning 9(5)-2(2). Ironically, the only question I missed was the TV question, as TV is my best category. This was only the third time in my LL career that I was able to get five correct on the same day. Prior to MD11, I was the only person in the rundle who had not scored a three-pointer, but I finally got one Thursday.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow, I'm drowning in beer. Once more, I lead my Rundle in CAA with 56. So, despite being in the running for a Maso and with a good (for me) DE of .792, I'm flirting with relegation. #ARundleProblems.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:37 am Wow, I'm drowning in beer. Once more, I lead my Rundle in CAA with 56. So, despite being in the running for a Maso and with a good (for me) DE of .792, I'm flirting with relegation. #ARundleProblems.
Very similar to me. DE of .833, 56 CAA, and I'm on the verge of being relegated. Seems like every day is a 9(6) or a 6(5) against me.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:37 am Wow, I'm drowning in beer. Once more, I lead my Rundle in CAA with 56. So, despite being in the running for a Maso and with a good (for me) DE of .792, I'm flirting with relegation. #ARundleProblems.
That was an Extra Special Bitter I drank against you. I don't even like those.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

bomtr wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:35 am
Now THAT is an A rundle problem.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Isn't that sacrilegious in your part of the world? :mrgreen: I do feel a modicum of guilt re my matches against you and Reddpen this season, but it goes away easily.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 pm
Isn't that sacrilegious in your part of the world? :mrgreen: I do feel a modicum of guilt re my matches against you and Reddpen this season, but it goes away easily.
I'll hope you wash that guilt down with a good barleywine or maybe an imperial stout.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I went 9(6) both yesterday and Wednesday. If only I could get twelve in a row on that HQ app...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

OK, I knew right away that the novel /film about the English jockey was National Velvet, but had no idea the kid's name was Velvet! I debated between Mary, Sue, Jean and Elizabeth - duh! Velvet!

Still, happy to salvage the match with a 6(3)-6(5) tie - my opponent probably less pleased
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I'm really only posting in hopes of reverse jinxing myself. I have prided myself on my DE, which, including this season, is .710--including a high of .758 one season. This season, though, I've lost my touch, checking in at .559. Ouch. I'm more than .100 lower than my rookie season, which is the hardest year to defend. Hopefully I get this straightened out the second half of this season.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

My 10-game winning streak to start the season ended with a tie with the person in last place in my rundle. Oh, well, that's the way it goes.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

bomtr wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:59 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 pm
I'll hope you wash that guilt down with a good barleywine or maybe an imperial stout.
Woof, with your win today (against the person to whom I gave up an 8(4) yesterday), you're now seven points clear of the relegation line. Shake off the guilt and the self-doubt, perhaps with a Dead Guy from Rogue Brewing.

Besides, it is I who lead A Cont in CAA... with just 46. Isn't CAA like golf: lower is better?

And I had to chug to beat bomtr--it's about the only way I can beat the damn guy.
In and out of the pool four times
Woof

Post by Woof »

Gratz on topping bomtr, the Everest of A Cont. My career record against him is among my worst (BahnamanS and BlishS are perfect 0 fers). I finally managed to get a female artist question thanks to having seen the object in question on multiple occasions. After agonizing over the first question for 5 minutes or so, I reluctantly hit submit only to have a WTF moment. A true YKIOYD question. I then wondered if it was some familiar trivia chestnut from the quizbowl circuit and would get a 50% get rate, but that also proved false. Best of luck to you, Bill.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I never would have had a chance at it regardless of how it was phrased, but I had a really hard time parsing the "card game" question and trying to figure out what kind of item the correct answer was going to be. I ultimately guessed "spell book." The Pink Panther (I loved the cartoon when I was a kid) and MSG were two that I should have been able to tease out, but I just didn't get there.

I'm 5/18 on the questions over the last three days, currently have 3 straight losses, and have gone from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 8th in my rundle. Things are back to normal now.