Thursday, November 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peter the accountant »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:00 pm Any significance to Lily’s pin? Image
Here's a connection I know of.

Probably not why she's wearing the pin, though.
--Peter
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:17 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:13 pm
Isn't this the third time in recent days we've had a DD in the next to last clue of the game?
DD3 this week has been:
30th
28th
29th
29th

which is probably a 4-day record to start a week.
In the episodes of June 13-16, 2005, the third Daily Double was found at the 30th, 29th, 30th, & 29th clue of the round, respectively.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

goforthetie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 pm Precalled FJ; in fact, I would have laid heavy, heavy odds that Lebanon would be involved in the clue, and would have been sorely tempted to go all in even from a lock.
darn, I thought I would be the only one. Elijah Baley, you should know that Lebanon has a cedar tree on the flag and that cedars are mentioned in the Bible. Easy precall.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:45 pm
goforthetie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 pm Precalled FJ; in fact, I would have laid heavy, heavy odds that Lebanon would be involved in the clue, and would have been sorely tempted to go all in even from a lock.
darn, I thought I would be the only one. Elijah Baley, you should know that Lebanon has a cedar tree on the flag and that cedars are mentioned in the Bible. Easy precall.
Me three. Lebanon has one of the most distinctive flags; Israel was going to be an unlikely precall as the Star of David isn't mentioned in the Bible.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:23 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:00 pm Any significance to Lily’s pin? Image
Here's a connection I know of.

Probably not why she's wearing the pin, though.
The show taped a couple days after the solar eclipse. Could be a shout-out to the sun.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Matt faced a double BMS by Alex with MLB & Major League Baseball to get the right league for the baseball team on his way to running the opening category.
Why did that one require such specificity? In most of the others, just the sport was fine.
I am guessing it is because MLB is subdivided into leagues, which were once much more independent than they are now.
Maybe, but they are in baseball's Major League as opposed to the Minor League. That should have been more than enough.
That clue had me yelling at Alex & the judges/writers. Total inconsistancy to go from the NFL to a specific league in MLB, just for the sake of being cutesy with the two Cardinal teams. They could have at least picked an American League team. Since there isn't an AL team that shares a name with an NFL team, (Giants doesn't work either), they might have asked for the New York Rangers and followed it up with the Texas Rangers, but I don't think the curveball change up from major orginization to sub-major organization should have made it past the rough draft.

Also, including an NCAA conference made it look like there weren't enough 'leagues' to fill five clues. I can't believe they omitted the NHL, with Alex being a hockey fan.
Last edited by Category 13 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:00 pm DHKendall: Scoreboard + wallet + home + kids college fund + wife’s wedding ring +…
LOL! Although, if I start with my Coryat score of $17,000 (far too low for me as I took way too many guesses that I wasn't confident on - thought I broke myself of that habit!) before adding the other things, I don't think a wager of $17,075 might've been enough to win with. ;)

(Had to chuckle at just how many times my handle came up in this thread. But, hey, you combine 2 of my 5 strongest categories in one FJ? Yes. Please. (And also yet another *aaaargh* that this wasn't the FJ in *my* game!!!)

For some reason I thought that someone might guess Israel, but was glad no one did, although the other two guesses weren't that much better. (I seldom precall, even in categories like this, btw)
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:24 pm
you're not dhkendall, though
I'm not 100% sure that dhkendall would have either. As I said before I'm trying to train myself to not ring in if I am not pretty confident of the answer (usually I don't have a problem, but today I fell off the wagon), I'm also trying to train myself not to Clavin *no matter what*. (Although, given the positions of each of the players, I would have made the same wager as Lisa, and went all-in in Matt and Lilly's' positions, so the latter two bets might be considered quite reckless by some on here.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

dhkendall wrote:I'm also trying to train myself not to Clavin *no matter what*. (Although, given the positions of each of the players, I would have made the same wager as Matt, and went all-in in the ladies' positions, so the latter two bets might be considered quite reckless by some on here.)
Granted Matt could only hope for Lisa to make a serious wagering error to win, there was no reason he should cut off his bet to 2201.
2799 would have worked just as well.

Besides the DD lay up of 'favoring', I was surprised New Hampshire and 'There Will Be Blood' were stand & stares.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 pm
dhkendall wrote:I'm also trying to train myself not to Clavin *no matter what*. (Although, given the positions of each of the players, I would have made the same wager as Matt, and went all-in in the ladies' positions, so the latter two bets might be considered quite reckless by some on here.)
Granted Matt could only hope for Lisa to make a serious wagering error to win, there was no reason he should cut off his bet to 2201.
2799 would have worked just as well.

Besides the DD lay up of 'favoring', I was surprised New Hampshire and 'There Will Be Blood' were stand & stares.
I misread Lisa's Final score (thought she was in a distant third), so I (slightly) revised my original post before seeing your quote. Regardless, while I wouldn't have Clavined, I probably wouldn't have made the wisest move from second or third.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Wherever did they get the idea that Paul Revere's house is the only one on the Freedom Trail? It passes through a very densely populated area, the North End of Boston and is well over a mile long when it ends at the Bunker Hill monument in Charlestown, another densely populated area.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Missed the FJ thinking we needed TWO materials (re-read the clue, doofus), and finally just picked Jordan as a country frequently mentioned in the Bible (steel might have been my second choice :roll: ). I was conflicted about Arab countries having Bible symbols, but at least Israel was a no-brainer ignore. Cedars of Lebanon rings a bell, and this is a very nice FJ clue.

I had trouble finding any rhythm on the New England or the Historical fiction category and only got Paul Revere.

I also wondered why AT didn't announce the lock game but maybe he wanted to keep the suspense for the mathematically challenged viewers.

Ditto to the homage to DHK.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I don't feel like quoting all of you, but:

The American League and National League are different leagues -- and different from Major League Baseball -- in the main respect that they play by different rule sets.

Note that one league uses the designated hitter and one league decidedly does not.

The clue was fine and the National League was the only proper correct response to that clue.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:04 pm I don't feel like quoting all of you, but:

The American League and National League are different leagues -- and different from Major League Baseball -- in the main respect that they play by different rule sets.

Note that one league uses the designated hitter and one league decidedly does not.

The clue was fine and the National League was the only proper correct response to that clue.
But the Cardinals are a Major League Baseball team as well as a National League team, are they not? (If not, wouldn’t that mean there are no MLB teams?). I’m ok with a BMS on MLB since it’s technically correct but not quite what they’re looking for. (For the record, I surprisingly got that one (most of the rest were the majority of my ill-advised guesses), including saying guessing “What is the National League?” from the start.)

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:04 pm I don't feel like quoting all of you, but:

But the Cardinals are a Major League Baseball team as well as a National League team, are they not? (If not, wouldn’t that mean there are no MLB teams?). I’m ok with a BMS on MLB since it’s technically correct but not quite what they’re looking for. (For the record, I surprisingly got that one (most of the rest were the majority of my ill-advised guesses), including saying guessing “What is the National League?” from the start.)
A "be more specific" is absolutely the right call here by the judges, in that it was partly correct but not specific enough.

(For the record: if the NL and AL unified its ruleset, "Major League Baseball" on its own should be acceptable at that point.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:53 pm Also, including an NCAA conference made it look like there weren't enough 'leagues' to fill five clues. I can't believe they omitted the NHL, with Alex being a hockey fan.
Wonder if it was the J6?
floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:30 pm Wherever did they get the idea that Paul Revere's house is the only one on the Freedom Trail? It passes through a very densely populated area, the North End of Boston and is well over a mile long when it ends at the Bunker Hill monument in Charlestown, another densely populated area.
But none of those houses have those fancy bricks running up to the front gate. They're simply next to the Freedom Trail, not on it.

"Building material? Wood. Tree. Cedar. Lebanon."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:16 pm
dhkendall wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm

A "be more specific" is absolutely the right call here by the judges, in that it was partly correct but not specific enough.

(For the record: if the NL and AL unified its ruleset, "Major League Baseball" on its own should be acceptable at that point.)
I'm gonna have to disagree there. If they wanted NL, they should have ruled out MLB proper in the clue since the first clue (and the category) strongly suggest "MLB" is sufficient an answer for the team alone. E.g., "St Louis Cardinals, within the MLB"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Wasn't overly thrilled with the BMS on National League when compared to the other clues.

In DJ full categories were left more than once with at least one uncovered DD and they kept starting at the top.

It was possible that Lily could have gained an additional $1k in FJ, her wager however made that impossible.

Enjoyed some of the clues today referencing cult-like action movies like Scarface, Taken, and Kickboxer.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I got too hung up on trying to figure out which Psalm was Psalm 92 but Psalm's in the 90's are usually sung in Kabbalat Shabbat and the first Psalm-based Kabbalat Shabbat song that popped into my head was Tzadik Katamar, fortunately. How the heck I could figure this one out but not Pokemon or Oliver Twist is beyond me.
Last edited by Cat Hammarskjold on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:45 pm
"Building material? Wood. Tree. Cedar. Lebanon."
"Prized building material" - Not wood, unless you want the big bad wolf to huff and puff and blow your house down. I'll take bricks any day. I couldn't think of a way to have gold or stone as an icon, wondering if these were temple building materials. The clue was above my pay grade anyway, but I did attempt to use this iterative process. It works better when you go backward from the answer. Which is part of the TOM process, but I think the "prized building material" was unhelpful. (disclaimer - I haven't looked up the scripture and just now realized that might be the reason for the pin.)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:45 pm "Building material? Wood. Tree. Cedar. Lebanon."
Right. I really expected this to be a triple get. My wife and I both got it immediately and vexillology isn't exactly a strong suit for either of us.