Wednesday, April 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Agggron »

jeff6286 wrote: Joey Falco: $13,200+$6,800=$20,000...now a 1-day champion with $23,999
Michael Tvaruzka: $7,600+$7,600=$15,200
Jesse Tow: $9,200+$6,001=$15,201
Nitpick, but Joey is a 2-day champion now. :P

Knew the clue referred to Star Wars, but no idea which of the six movies it was talking about. Serves me right for not having watched any of the Star Wars movies. xD Guess I'll be watching those over the summer, along with the LOTR movies and Star Trek.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Miss Mellie wrote:"Bow Ties Are Cool" :shock: I can't believe how much love the writers are giving Doctor Who this season!
I know, right?! I was so hoping to see the $2k clue to see if it was Matt Smith. :)
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote:
Miss Mellie wrote:"Bow Ties Are Cool" :shock: I can't believe how much love the writers are giving Doctor Who this season!
I know, right?! I was so hoping to see the $2k clue to see if it was Matt Smith. :)
So was I, but if I see Doctor Who in the 2k box one more time, I might snap. Then again, given all the trouble they had with the Star Wars clue, if they had asked for Matt Smith's name, it might've been a TS.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Has there ever been three true Daily Doubles in one game before?
I'd make it a True Daily Double that at least one of Roger's games had that. That was one of his trademarks, prudent and effective uses of TDDs.
bpmod wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:... I can just about guarantee that there would have been at least one poster at the official Sony board complaining ...
Speaking of that - ahem - other board, the posts there just keep getting more and more clever.

Brian
If by "clever" you mean "bat-guano insane" (today's post) or "aggravating" (the rest of them, save the posts from JBoardies on the Sony board), then, yes, you are correct.

While I was watching my tape of J!, my wife was watching one of my DVDs of "You Bet Your Life" and was laughing harder than I've heard her laugh in quite some time (which is a bit disturbing, her being married to a standup comic and all ... ). Went upstairs and found her busting a gut over one of the contestants' interviews - not Groucho, he was doing his best to make the contestant get the laughs (as he was a master of doing in his role as host), but the contestant himself (this particular one apparently lived in a tree for the first 20 years of his life and now sells fruits and nuts on the sidewalk). Made me think about how boardies often complain that the interview segments are bland and they barely watch any more - almost all the contestants on that show made the interview segment the best part! Perhaps they should get some of those guys on J! (if they weren't all really old or dead by now - too bad "Tarzan" was as dumb as a post - when prompted to spell "gnome" by Groucho (he was given a definition as well), he replied "n-u-m-b!"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

It's a shame that I wouldn't be J! material even if I did plug all the holes in my knowledge base, because I certainly have a fair share of interesting things for interview.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

[quote="Magna]Next time you're buying Killian's, ask the person selling it to you whether they've ever heard of Carlsberg, and whether it's a famous brand. Then take note of the expression on their face.[/quote]
Their actual face, not a photo of it. :lol:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:It's a shame that I wouldn't be J! material even if I did plug all the holes in my knowledge base, because I certainly have a fair share of interesting things for interview.
I don't see why, your - putting it bluntly - refusal to learn - seems to be the only thing holding you back contestant-wise. I mean, those who score a high enough score on the online test are the ones who get called to audition, and those that have any kind of personality for TV (seeing some contestants, the threshold is lower than I thought it would be) get The Call. If you plugged the holes in your knowledge you'd have the first, and if you have the interesting stories, you'd have the second.

I'm sure most of us do have much more interesting stories than what is often offered. My problem is editing down my sizeable list to just 5 for Alex's card ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:I don't see why, your - putting it bluntly - refusal to learn - seems to be the only thing holding you back contestant-wise.
Let's see, how about:

* I can't sit still. That kinda thing isn't so noticeable when you're constantly leaning down to spin a big wheel, but it is when you remain behind a podium and hold a buzzer.

* I have zero confidence in what I do know (on average, I clam maybe 8-10 right answers per show). I'm just way too afraid of giving a wrong answer.

* My handwriting is so bad that you'd swear I'm not actually left handed.

* As mentioned before, I'm terrible at math, so that whole wagering thing would most likely bite me in the butt.
buffalocell
Contributor

Post by buffalocell »

gloriaclemente wrote:I was so sad they didn't reveal the final bow tie clue. Anyone want to venture a guess? I'm rooting for Pee Wee Herman!
I'm guessing it would have been Paul Simon (the former Illinois senator, not the singer), and the clue would have been something like, "The former presidential candidate seen here (and you can't call him Al)".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Simon_(politician)
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote:Speaking of A New Hope, if Joey had simply responded with "What is Star Wars?" after the two misses, would they have given that to him? It should be acceptable, because the movie was originally marketed under that name, and I believe "Episode IV: A New Hope" was only added later. Is there any Jeopardy! precedent for this? I think that if the first player buzzing in had just said Star Wars it definitely would have been accepted, but after the two negs with Episodes V and VI, I could see someone making the argument that Star Wars should be given a be more specific. If he had said just Star Wars and received credit, I can just about guarantee that there would have been at least one poster at the official Sony board complaining that he unfairly got credit for naming a series of 6 movies without specifying which one.
Unless the "prologue" was added for the reissue, how could they not accept "Star Wars"? "Star Wars" is "Star Wars." "Star Wars: A New Hope" is marketing.

I should have learned long ago - and the "Star Wars" clue should have reminded me - never to dismiss a response because it's too obvious. That's exactly what I did for tonight's FJ...Yikes!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

The contestant interviews were (gasp) really good, and all three were high caliber players deserving of a win against lesser competition.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

buffalocell wrote:
gloriaclemente wrote:I was so sad they didn't reveal the final bow tie clue. Anyone want to venture a guess? I'm rooting for Pee Wee Herman!
I'm guessing it would have been Paul Simon (the former Illinois senator, not the singer), and the clue would have been something like, "The former presidential candidate seen here (and you can't call him Al)".
Or maybe "anyway you look at it, you lose".
I'm smart and I want respect.
Sage on the Hudson

Is what the center of a sundial's called gnomonclature?

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

davey wrote:Unless the "prologue" was added for the reissue, how could they not accept "Star Wars"? "Star Wars" is "Star Wars." "Star Wars: A New Hope" is marketing.
It's really more a matter of what George Lucas is calling the movie this week.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Tucker Carlson was my precall.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think they would have taken just Star Wars as a response. It is what everyone calls the movie and most people probably aren't aware of the "New Hope" subtitle.

An easy FJ, but we deserve a break after yesterday.

speaking of yesterday, was anyone else annoyed about Alex spoiling the FJ from the day before? He makes comments from time to time about it being a tough one or a TS, but coming right out and giving us the question? I'm just glad I had already seen the show, but some people happen to see them out of order for various reasons.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

alamble wrote:
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Someone explain the Francis Ford Coppola DD to me from round 1.
Don't remember the clue verbatim, but the key pieces were "famous director who owns a vineyard." That should lead you directly to Coppola.
I happened to see one of his wines on a wine list at dinner just before watching the show, so that one was easy for me. Not sure I would have gotten it otherwise.

And for me, the title of the movie is "Star Wars." That's it.

And Han shot first. :evil:
alamble

Post by alamble »

Woppy T wrote:
alamble wrote:
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Someone explain the Francis Ford Coppola DD to me from round 1.
Don't remember the clue verbatim, but the key pieces were "famous director who owns a vineyard." That should lead you directly to Coppola.
I happened to see one of his wines on a wine list at dinner just before watching the show, so that one was easy for me. Not sure I would have gotten it otherwise.
I've actually been to his winery in Napa as part of my cousin's wedding weekend - it's utterly beautiful country, and the grounds themselves are gorgeous. Can't speak to the quality of the wine itself, as I'm not much of an aficionado.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Woppy T wrote:And Han shot first. :evil:
Yup, Han zimmermanned Greedo!
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Is what the center of a sundial's called gnomonclature?

Post by jkbrat »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
davey wrote:Unless the "prologue" was added for the reissue, how could they not accept "Star Wars"? "Star Wars" is "Star Wars." "Star Wars: A New Hope" is marketing.
It's really more a matter of what George Lucas is calling the movie this week.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

dhkendall wrote:I'd make it a True Daily Double that at least one of Roger's games had [3 TDDs]. That was one of his trademarks, prudent and effective uses of TDDs.
off the top of my head, i can tell you that game 1 of the ToC finals fits the bill. that was pretty famous. game 2 almost did, too, until buddy decided to go low on the 3rd one after missing a TDD a short while earlier. looking at the archive, it doesn't appear that any of roger's original run games had three TDDs.

fun game to watch because of the bold and successful wagering, despite a very large number of negs (4 apiece).