Thursday, November 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mikebdoss »

Pro-MLB, nearly 40.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Wheatley wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:30 pm I had no idea that "favoring" referred to the bad leg. I said "favor" because it was a free guess, but had to pause and look it up because it had thrown me off.
Likewise. In my mind, if you're favoring one limb over its counterpart, the counterpart is the one you're avoiding using.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:24 pm
Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:06 pm A final thought before this game fades into the memory:

An argument could be made that "MLB" is a technically correct answer. "National League" seems to me to be the more intuitive answer - and yet I must be the one who is confused, because the show wanted the intuitive answer and the great majority of posters favor the technically correct answer! (And quite passionately so. I wonder if there is a generational difference here. Are most of the passionate pro-MLB posters in their twenties?)
I'm not favoring it, I'm just saying MLB should have been accepted without a BMS. If Matt gave NL first, that's fine too.

Also, no, not in 20s.
Same for me. Clearly the National League is also a league, but both NL and MLB should have been accepted.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I lean toward MLB being acceptable. I'm 52 but not a huge sports fan. The NL and AL have not had separate presidents since 1999. And even prior to that, it was the office of commissioner that really mattered. They do not have separate halls of fame. A player's lifetime statistics are not divided, even when the player spent time in both the NL and AL.

I think the closest analogy is a clue asking for Dylan Thomas' country of origin and insisting on the response "What is Wales?"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am 50. I used to be a big baseball fan but haven’t followed it in several years. I was fine with the BMS but wouldn’t have been upset if they hadn’t.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was at Midwest FurFest.

How does MLB require a "be more specific"?

Somehow I knew crudite but not casaba.

That "Choice Words" category was very poorly pinned. You can "Favor" a bad leg?

"Glengarry Glen Ross" rings no bells in the top box, either. Nor did anything else in that category.

"blah blah blah country blah blah blah kangaroo" = not even close to Australia. Totally unfair.

Lach Trash: Gone with the Wind, Naragansett, New Hampshire

Not a single word of this FJ! pointed me in any direction.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:30 pm Somehow I knew crudite but not casaba.
I got crudites from a Futurama episode. They don't say the word, and I had no recollection of hearing it, assumed for the longest time it was a sight gag about those veggie plates being 'crud' and since they were tiny, they were 'crud-ites' (crud bites, maybe?). Still applies.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)