Monday, December 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7646, 2017-12-04

CONTESTANTS
Kyle Becker, a research scientist from Nashville, Tennessee
Alice Pelletier, a technical services associate from Brooklyn, New York
Lisa Kristina, a freelance musician from Chicago Heights, Illinois (whose 2-day cash winnings total $36,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you all. Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. We're into the season to be jolly, and our champion, Lisa, has many reasons to be jolly. 36,100 of them. Alice and Kyle, welcome aboard, and good luck to all three of you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And today we feature these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERATURE ACROSS AMERICA (4/5) (Alex: All of the clues will be given by on-air talent at our affiliates across the country.)
ETIQUETTE (5/5)
THE NFLer's MAIN POSITION (1/3)
DISNEY PRINCESS NAMES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WEATHER IDIOMS (4/5)
HEALTH & MEDICI (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lisa: 11 R, 2 W
Alice: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Kyle: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lisa: $4,400
Alice: $800
Kyle: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kyle Becker is doing research in something that's going to be a big help to all of us, but it's something I know nothing about. Smart nanoparticles. What are we talking about here?

Kyle: Yes, our lab is an engineering lab, and so we design these nanoparticles that we--itty bitty, yes.

Alex: Tiny, tiny, tiny.

Kyle: That we can use to try and trick the immune system into attacking things like cancer or to make a better vaccine.

Alex: All right. Good for you.

Alex: Alice Pelletier--Pelletier [Pell-tee-ay] in French Canada--from Brooklyn, New York. You are a talented Jenga player? Is that right?

Alice: Yes, I'm very good at Jenga. I don't remember the last time I lost, actually.

Alex: You're good at this.

Alice: I'm excellent at it.

Alex: And you're also good at Jeopardy!

Alice: Yes.

Alex: All right. Nice to have you here.

Alex: Lisa Kristina is a musician from Illinois, who in the '90s lived in Europe. Doing what? Where did you live, first of all?

Lisa: Mostly in Hamburg and Stuttgart, but also a bit in Basel, and a bit in Graz, Austria. I was most--I was studying classical music, but I ended up doing most of my work in musical theater.

Alex: Favorite classical composer.

Lisa: Well, I have to say Mozart.

Alex: You don't have to say Mozart.

Lisa: Well, if I don't have to say Mozart, then I'll say Brahms.

Alex: [In a German accent] Two good composers, very good.

Lisa: [In a German accent] Thank you, Mr. Trebek.

Alex: [In a German accent] You have command of the board. You will make the next selection. Do it now!

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alice found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Lisa had $4,400, Alice had $2,600, and Kyle was at $200. Alice wagered $2,000.

DISNEY PRINCESS NAMES $1000: From the Latin for "dawn", just like a Roman goddess

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HEALTH & MEDICI $800: When this Medici queen of France was infertile at first, a treatment was to apply manure mixed with ground antlers
(Lisa: Who is Marie?)

WEATHER IDIOMS $400: Standing in the relative peace of the beach, you'd experience this idiom of impending turmoil
(Alice: What is eye of the storm?)
(Lisa: What is the coming storm?)

LITERATURE ACROSS AMERICA $1000: (Hi, I'm Ellen Leyva with ABC7 Eyewitness News.) This southern California author has been especially successful with his Los Angeles-based quartet that includes "L.A. Confidential" & "The Black Dahlia"

THE NFLer's MAIN POSITION $600: Carson Palmer & Warren Moon

THE NFLer's MAIN POSITION $800: Thurman Thomas & Curtis Martin
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alice: $5,200
Lisa: $5,000
Kyle: $1,400
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COUNTRIES BY FIRST LETTER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OTHERWISE FAMOUS PAINTERS (3/5)
AVIATION (1/3, including 1 missed Daily Double)
POP CULTURE DOUBLE TALK (4/5)
QE II's PMs (5/5)
DROP THE MIC (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kyle: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Alice: 5 R, 1 W
Lisa: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kyle snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Lisa had $4,600, Alice had $5,200, and Kyle was at $1,800. Kyle wagered $2,000.

COUNTRIES BY FIRST LETTER $800: Crossing Iberia, you see P, S, A, for Portugal & these 2 nations

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kyle who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Lisa had $7,800, Alice had $9,200, and Kyle was at $15,400. Kyle wagered $3,000.

AVIATION $1200: The day before flying at Mach 1 in 1947, he broke 2 ribs when he fell off a horse
(Kyle: Who is Glenn?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POP CULTURE DOUBLE TALK $2000: Theodore Bikel played the Soviet captain who runs his submarine aground off New England in this 1960s comedy film

DROP THE MIC $1600: From the start of a doctored drink to get this opener
(Alex: For mickey.)

OTHERWISE FAMOUS PAINTERS $1600: The art of this former talk show host who did 2 stints on "The View" often benefits desmoid tumor research

OTHERWISE FAMOUS PAINTERS $2000: Favorite subjects of this Royal Highness include Beinn a' Bhuird, a mountain near Balmoral
(Alice: Who is Queen Elizabeth II?)

AVIATION $1600: In 1961 this "Across the Globe" airline initiated in-flight movie service with "By Love Possessed" with Lana Turner
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kyle: $12,400
Alice: $9,200
Lisa: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN'S BOOKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Kyle: Wager $6,001 to cover Alice.
Alice: You ought to wager to cover Lisa, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $9,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $6,400 (to shut out Lisa) or less than $2,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Lisa). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Kyle.
Lisa: Consider risking $1,400, thereby beating Kyle on the Triple Stumper (should Kyle wager to cover Alice's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For this series of picture books that started in 1987, each crowd scene takes about 8 weeks to illustrate

FINAL SCORES
Lisa: $7,800 + $7,800 = $15,600 (What is Where's Waldo?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Alice: $9,200 + $8,500 = $17,700 (What is Where's Waldo) (2nd place: $2,000)
Kyle: $12,400 + $6,001 = $18,401 (What is Where's Waldo?) (New champion: $18,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kyle: $14,200, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Alice: $8,200, 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Lisa: $7,800, 15 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $30,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Kyle: 17/60 = .283
Lisa: 16/58 = .276
Alice: 14/59 = .237
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LITERATURE ACROSS AMERICA $200: (Hi, I'm Rob Fowler of News 2.) This literary character from Charleston tells Scarlett he may go back to his hometown because he misses "the calm dignity life can have when it's lived by gentle folks"

LITERATURE ACROSS AMERICA $400: (Hi, this is Ryan Kristafer from News 8.) Harriet Beecher Stowe lived next door to this other great American author at the time he wrote "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court"

LITERATURE ACROSS AMERICA $600: (Hi, I'm Mike Davis from 10TV.) I'm at the Columbus, Ohio house of James Thurber, who went on to write "The Secret Life of" this daydreamer

LITERATURE ACROSS AMERICA $800: (Hi, I'm Mark Allan from WDTN.) In his poem "Sympathy", Paul Laurence Dunbar wrote "I know why the caged bird sings"... giving this other African-American poet the title of her 1969 memoir
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

COUNTRIES BY FIRST LETTER $400: Heading southwest across South America, it's B, B, C--Brazil & these 2
(Lisa: What are Bolivia and Colombia?)

COUNTRIES BY FIRST LETTER $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map of north Africa.) From west to east across the top of north Africa, the first letters of the four highlighted countries spell out this word
(Alex: Starting with Morocco, Algeria...)

POP CULTURE DOUBLE TALK $1600: Now all grown up, the pair here came to fame in the 1990s starring on this sitcom

QE II's PMs $2000: So far, nine Conservative Party prime ministers have served Her Majesty; he was the last of the four Labour prime ministers

DROP THE MIC $400: Drop the "mic" from the start of a teeny organism to get this long garment
(Alex: Microbe.)

DROP THE MIC $1200: From the end of an adjective for pottery to get this last name of actor Michael
(Lisa: Oh. What is... no.)
(Alex: For ceramic.)

DROP THE MIC $2000: From the end of a strong verbal or written attack to get this long stick
(Alex: For polemic.)

OTHERWISE FAMOUS PAINTERS $800: This singer signs his paintings Benedetto; that's Anthony Benedetto

AVIATION $400: In 1938 this future billionaire flew around the world in the then-record time of 3 days & 19 hours
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Aurora
Catherine de Medici
the calm before the storm
James Ellroy
quarterbacks
running backs
Spain and Andorra
Chuck Yeager
The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming
key
Rosie O'Donnell
Prince Charles
TWA
Where's Waldo?
Rhett Butler
(Mark) Twain
Walter Mitty
(Maya) Angelou
Bolivia and Chile
male
Sister, Sister
(Gordon) Brown
a robe
Cera
a pole
Tony Bennett
(Howard) Hughes
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN’S BOOKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For this series of picture books that started in 1987, each crowd scene takes about 8 weeks to illustrate

Lisa Kristina: 7800+7800=15600
Alice Pelletier: 9200+8500=17700
Kyle Becker: 12400+6001=18401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Where’s Waldo?

Daily Doubles
Alice: 2600+2000
Kyle: 1800+2000
Kyle: 15400-3000

Coryats
Lisa: 7800
Alice: 8200
Kyle: 14200

Combined: 30,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Lisa: 5000
Alice: 5200
Kyle: 1400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Too bad Alice lost as I was curious about what else was on the chat card after being talented at Jenga was day one. When the J! round began I pegged Alice as the only hope in the NFL category as I stereotyped Kyle as a sweater-wearing scientist to not have a strength there.

Kyle showed more promise in running the COUNTRIES BY FIRST LETTER including the DD, but no applause at the end since the first get was a rebound.

There went another chance for the tiebreaker since Kyle could not solve DD3 for the Mach 1 1947 pilot. In the potential 18400 to 9200 scenario the question is of course does Alice bet it all and does Kyle bet nothing? It’s a shame we can’t find out.

Gee, where have I seen this before? One category to go and one DD remaining. The clue selection? Of course. $400, please.

CHILDREN’S BOOKS is a much better start to the FJ! week than GERMAN GEOGRAPHY from last week. Keep it up writers. I Spy could be a guess to take away 100% from the board tally? After that I have no other guesses for what will be incorrectly guessed.

Players are instructed ahead of time for the first word to write, so "What" was already written before the FJ! clue was revealed. Anyone hopeful for a response with the book title alone alone meeting the phrasing requirement were out of luck.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Three good players today, and Alice gets bonus points for her vibrant, off-the-shoulder, orange blouse. However, I'm surprised that she wasn't asked to repronounce "Suez Canal." (I thought I heard "Soyuz.")
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Instant get FJ. It reminded me of the episode of The Simpsons where Otto gets fired from driving the school bus and moves in with the family.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Did anyone else go with "a cloud on the horizon" instead of "the calm before the storm"?

Anyone have an opinion on a ruling?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

GET TO THE NFL CATEGORY, DAMNIT!!!
"Carson Palmer, Warren Moon" *crickets*
....nevermind :(

Instaget FJ.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

acthomas wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:12 pm Did anyone else go with "a cloud on the horizon" instead of "the calm before the storm"?

Anyone have an opinion on a ruling?
Yes, I did. I don't think I'm being overly generous when I say that our response should also be accepted.
Leander

Post by Leander »

squarekara wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:56 pm Three good players today, and Alice gets bonus points for her vibrant, off-the-shoulder, orange blouse. However, I'm surprised that she wasn't asked to repronounce "Suez Canal." (I thought I heard "Soyuz.")
I heard Soyuz too.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Back to my early watching.

R: 23, W: 3, costing 2400.
FJ: :mrgreen:
Coryat: 12,400
LT: quarterback, calm before the storm, (Chuck Yeager)

Alice was a speed demon on the Disney princesses. I might have got a couple more of those if I had the extra second to think. But I prefer to play a bit more brutally on myself.

Once again, the video category costs us a bunch of clues. I personally don't mind missing out on the 3 clues in the J! round. It's unlikely I would have gotten the two bottom row clues, and the top row clue wouldn't make a difference. But I really missed seeing the two Aviation clues. That's been a long-time interest of mine, although I did pick Pan Am over TWA in the last revealed clue (focused on "Pan" instead of "World" :oops: )

Kyle's FJ! wager was spot on. I'm not sure I get Alice's wager. The first cut at her wager says to wager less than 2800 to stay ahead of Kyle on a double neg. Staying ahead of a double by Lisa requires risking at least 6400. So she has to decide if she's going for the win on a triple stumper or going to stay ahead of Lisa if the ladies are right and Kyle negs. Perhaps that was her read on Kyle - not good on the category, and one with which she felt comfortable. As to Lisa, I might argue for a zero wager. A triple neg is her best shot at winning, and she has more than enough to stay ahead of any reasonable wagers by the other players. In the end, all that mattered was that Kyle wagered correctly and he got FJ right, so that's that.

I was glad to see a bit better wagering on the DDs today. Alice didn't go quite all in on her DD in the J! round, but she risked most of what she had. Kyle risked all he could on his first DD, and was cautiously aggressive on his late-round DD. After the neg on that clue, it would have been good to go up to the 800 clue to kill time on a clue that couldn't help my opponents that much.
--Peter
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I decided to answer "Where's Wally?" instead of "Where's Waldo?" to be cute. "Ou est Charlie?" seemed too risky.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The Where's Waldo series had a surprising amount of violence for children's books.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Leander wrote:
squarekara wrote: I'm surprised that she wasn't asked to repronounce "Suez Canal." (I thought I heard "Soyuz.")
I heard Soyuz too.
X3

The strongest category for me in each round got ignored till last. :x
So my only lach trash was quarterback and running back.
Also had the easy peasy Chuck Yeager and TWA DDs

I wasn't aware Where's Waldo was a childrens book series, so I couldn't make any connection on FJ. I can see in hindsight where it should be a pretty easy clue for anyone who had kids during that period or was a kid that read the books.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

easy FJ, but didn't expect a triget. TS on TWA when spotted "across the globe"? Woof.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:57 pm Kyle's FJ! wager was spot on. I'm not sure I get Alice's wager. The first cut at her wager says to wager less than 2800 to stay ahead of Kyle on a double neg. Staying ahead of a double by Lisa requires risking at least 6400. So she has to decide if she's going for the win on a triple stumper or going to stay ahead of Lisa if the ladies are right and Kyle negs. Perhaps that was her read on Kyle - not good on the category, and one with which she felt comfortable. As to Lisa, I might argue for a zero wager. A triple neg is her best shot at winning, and she has more than enough to stay ahead of any reasonable wagers by the other players. In the end, all that mattered was that Kyle wagered correctly and he got FJ right, so that's that.
Alice has to wager $6401 unless she just really hates the category in which case she could wager $1399. Lisa has to wager exactly $1400, this gets a tie with Alice on a 0 wager and in the case of a TS stays ahead of Kyle by $1.

Trying to go second level thinking in FJ is a huge waste of time unless a contestant has shown a propensity for something unusual more than once. Like Arthur Chu offering a tie or "just wager $4000".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO "Lorenzo the Magnificent". Can we poll?

That picture didn't look like a "calm before the storm" to me. That was my only miss.

So I'm supposed to know what color a gown is at a debutante ball? How does anyone know that?

Never knew she was called Aurora. That cost me the run.

You mean TWA actually stands for something?!

Bet you anything I spoil the 100% here. "Children's Books" had me stuck in actual literature (i.e., something with some semblance of a story) and getting nowhere with "crowd scenes". I finished without a guess.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Literature (4), Etiquette (2), NFL (3), Princess (4), Weather (5), Health (2)
Countries (5), Painters (1), Aviation (3), Culture (2), QE II (4), Mic (3)

Lach Trash: calm before the storm, quarterback, running back, key, TWA; Daily Double: Chuck Yeager

Not an instaget as I had the I Spy books on my mind as well, but I answered correctly.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:29 pm The Where's Waldo series had a surprising amount of violence for children's books.
But only a tiny amount of female toplessness.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TWO Howard Hughes clues in Aviation? Come on, writers! Give me a challenge!

Insta-final. This helped, though I thought it was more recent than two+ years ago. https://gizmodo.com/childhood-stripped- ... 1684449216
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)