FJs for the 11/27/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/27/17 week?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Of Germany's 16 states, these 2 at opposite ends of the country begin with the same letter & are the largest & smallest
23%
The desire in his childhood to catch every insect inspired Satoshi Tajiri to create this 1996 game
73%
In the 1870s this phrase meant a hairdo, using a British word for bangs; now it's an extreme group on the edge of a cause
16%
The central image on the flag of this nation is a symbol of strength in Psalm 92 & a prized building material in I Kings 5
67%
Rome’s Colosseum may have gotten its name because of a colossal circa 65 A.D. statue of this emperor erected nearby
66%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
No votes
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
KEEP IT DOWN $400: On "Seinfeld" Jerry is compelled to wear one of these after an encounter with a "low talker"
46%
LITERATURE $1600: This Allen Ginsberg poem begins, "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness"
76%
BUILDING, ROMAN $1600: Victor Emmanuel II & Raphael are at rest in this Roman structure; Paris has its own
31%
I did not solve the "Seinfeld" puffy shirt clue even though I have seen that episode more than once.
12%
I got Bavaria, but not Bremen for the Monday FJ! clue.
66%
I got Bremen, but not Bavaria for the Monday FJ! clue.
No votes
The map of Germany shown for the Monday FJ! clue aided me in correctly solving the clue.
16%
Whether video game, app, or cards etc. I have played some version of "Pokémon."
32%
The word "fringe" was part of my incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
73%

Total votes: 128

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Re: FJs for the 11/27/17 week

Post by Carpe Diem »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I said "radical fringe." Thanks for nothing, Hillary!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:47 pm I said "radical fringe." Thanks for nothing, Hillary!
Basket of deplorable fringes sounds like a 19th century hairdo to me.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dinghammer wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:59 pm I would have guessed the puffy shirt if it were a DD, but I clammed because I didn't know there was a (and still don't quite understand the) connection to the low talker.
My recollection is that the "low talker" was a fashion designer and asks Jerry to wear the shirt. Jerry doesn't understand her (because of the low talking), but agrees, then he's stuck wearing it.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

Went with fringe group.

Worst poll since I started reading here. Let's just forget this week and move on.
--Peter
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

I got very lucky with Monday. I convinced myself the big one was Bavaria because my choir went from Munich to Austria and I could see the region on the map bordered Austria; then the only B places I could think of were Bayern (which I knew is just German for Bavaria) and Bremen. I had to settle for Bremen when I couldn't get my mind to recall Bayreuth in time.

I could have gotten Thursday. Almost no chance on Wednesday, although I did have "fringe." (I have heard "lunatic" preceding it, though.)

I've seen the low talker episode of "Seinfeld" at least once, and assume it's been more. The low talker gag and the puffy shirt gag occupied separate spaces in my mind; I had forgotten the former led to the latter.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 pm
dinghammer wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:59 pm I would have guessed the puffy shirt if it were a DD, but I clammed because I didn't know there was a (and still don't quite understand the) connection to the low talker.
My recollection is that the "low talker" was a fashion designer and asks Jerry to wear the shirt. Jerry doesn't understand her (because of the low talking), but agrees, then he's stuck wearing it.
Thank you! I suppose I could have just looked up an episode synopsis, but... thank you.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Worst week for me in several months. In that "puffy shirt" episode Jerry wears the puffy shirt onto the Today show wherein the now-disgraced Matt Lauer needles him about the shirt.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Box O'Shame for me this week.
I had "fringe" but nothing else, so I negged it.
And I negged "Pokemon Go".
Teems with quiet fun.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Johnblue wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:47 am In that "puffy shirt" episode Jerry wears the puffy shirt onto the Today show wherein the now-disgraced Matt Lauer needles him about the shirt.
It’s actually Bryant Gumbel that interviews Jerry.
I would prefer not to.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bartleby wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:02 pm
Johnblue wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:47 am In that "puffy shirt" episode Jerry wears the puffy shirt onto the Today show wherein the now-disgraced Matt Lauer needles him about the shirt.
It’s actually Bryant Gumbel that interviews Jerry.
Better call him the not-yet-disgraced Bryant Gumbel, just to be safe.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I went with fringe element.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

The Seinfeld clue was difficult. I've seen quite a few episodes, but not enough to connect their water-cooler moments like that. My problem with the show was that it was about a group of people who were relentlessly mean. The writing was terrific and it was clearly a quality show, but I just didn't find it funny most of the time. I did like the finale, though. To literally put a decade's worth of your characters on trial for being bad people... seemed like genius to me.

Maybe "fringe talker?" I had gone with fringe group, since there's no rule that non key words from the clue can't be repeated in the question, and there are occasionally really easy FJs.

Ticked off at myself for not getting Lebanon. I get intimidated by Bible questions because I've never read it, so I ignored that part of the clue when it should have led me to focus tightly on the area of the world where Christianity was born.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

One of the main issues of Seinfeld (and generally why it's so fun to watch) is that there are two or three divergent storylines that don't come together until the end. Because of that, popular Seinfeld tropes may co-exist in an episode with each other, but it's not always obvious.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(

I had just "Fringe" but nothing more.
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
Didn't solve the puffy shirt despite having seen the episode more than once. I remember the low talker but forgot that she had anything to do with the puffy shirt.

Got Bavaria but not Bremen. I think I said Berlin for my other guess. (One problem with getting so far behind on the polls is that it's easier to forget what I said.)

Have never played Pokemon. Pretty sure "fringe" was, or was in, my incorrect response.

32335232[13ToC}31, 31-29