Monday, December 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, December 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by chmmr »

Nice of them to go with the five canonical Disney princesses. Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Aurora, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, and Belle in a fan drawing.

I'll bet Cinderella is the J6.
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

chmmr wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:48 pm I'll bet Cinderella is the J6.
She isn't.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 pm So I'm supposed to know what color a gown is at a debutante ball? How does anyone know that?
Because debutantes traditionally wore white. Sacrificial virgins being launched on the marriage market, you know, to be sold to the highest bidder.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:54 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 pm So I'm supposed to know what color a gown is at a debutante ball? How does anyone know that?
Because debutantes traditionally wore white. Sacrificial virgins being launched on the marriage market, you know, to be sold to the highest bidder.
...the hell is a debutante?
davey

Post by davey »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:30 pm
Leander wrote:
squarekara wrote: I'm surprised that she wasn't asked to repronounce "Suez Canal." (I thought I heard "Soyuz.")
I heard Soyuz too.
X3

The strongest category for me in each round got ignored till last. :x
So my only lach trash was quarterback and running back.
Also had the easy peasy Chuck Yeager and TWA DDs

I wasn't aware Where's Waldo was a childrens book series, so I couldn't make any connection on FJ. I can see in hindsight where it should be a pretty easy clue for anyone who had kids during that period or was a kid that read the books.
The only people I ever saw looking at a Where's Waldo book were adults. I thought it was a novelty for grown-ups with too much time on their hands...you know, like coloring books?... :roll: Never came close to my mind tonight...
Alice did say something like Soyuz Canal. I can't think of a word where "ue" is pronounced that way but since she didn't change the consonants I'm not surprised they let her get away with a distorted diphthong...
Last edited by davey on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Volante wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:33 pm
Insta-final. This helped, though I thought it was more recent than two+ years ago. https://gizmodo.com/childhood-stripped- ... 1684449216
The satiric take-away from this link is "Remember kids, it's not the taking part that counts--it's soullessly crushing the opposition." I'm gonna cross-stitch that onto a pillow right this minute. :lol:
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:59 pm
...the hell is a debutante?
It falls into the category of cultural things from the past where we're expected to have a general competency. But you could take "debut" out of the word and come up with the color as well - beginnings are often ideally pure/white, like brides at weddings or kids learning the martial arts. (marital/martial... get it???)

Another really unnecessary promo category affecting both rounds. "Hi. I'm someone you don't care about from a city you'll probably never visit and call letters from a station that needs call letters only because FCC laws are as archaic as debutante balls, and here's a drab and relatively easy question that took far too long to read..."

Given that quarterbacks were the $600 question and one of them is a Hall of Famer, I'm wondering what $200 could have been? I'd pre-call Gronkowski, and given his behavior yesterday and suspension today, it would be right in line with the Lauer question.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:02 pm The only people I ever saw looking at a Where's Waldo book were adults. I thought it was a novelty for grown-ups with too much time on their hands...you know, like coloring books?... :roll:
...or watching TV game shows.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anachronism wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:11 pmBut you could take "debut" out of the word and come up with the color as well - beginnings are often ideally pure/white, like brides at weddings or kids learning the martial arts
Because that's totally not a stretch at all. You also wanna tell me how everything has a number 23 in it?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

chmmr wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:48 pm Nice of them to go with the five canonical Disney princesses. Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Aurora, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, and Belle in a fan drawing.

I'll bet Cinderella is the J6.
"The" five? There's always been more than five. Don't forget Ariel and Snow White.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:19 pm When the J! round began I pegged Alice as the only hope in the NFL category as I stereotyped Kyle as a sweater-wearing scientist to not have a strength there.
Hey! He didn't have a bow tie! The juxtaposition of Warren Moon and Carson Palmer was a multi-generational TOM without quite going to Joe Namath and Tom whathisname. I'm not sure the three of them could have handled even he who shall not be named from the Patriots.

I think I heard Alice say Soo-Wez, but haven't replayed it. It didn't seem to be debatable.

Instaget FJ and didn't sweat whether it was a children's book. 8 weeks seems about right. It would take this sweater wearing left brainer 8 weeks just to draw Waldo. I enjoyed all three of these chaps, we'll see how Kyle holds up.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

35 R
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Catherine de Medici, James Elroy, (Chuck Yeager)

Excited to see a Disney category in this episode. It's been a while since they had one.
Douglas Squasoni
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I was surprised that "Where's Waldo?" didn't come out until 1987. I was pretty sure that the books I had as a kid were a hand-me-down from either my brother (born in the mid-70's) or my parents (technically too old to be baby boomers because they were born less than nine months after V-J Day). By the time I was 3, the only books I'd read were the World Almanac and an atlas. Thanks mainly to Pat and Alex, I learned to read before I could walk or talk, and I thought I was done with picture books by 1987.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

squarekara wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:56 pm Three good players today, and Alice gets bonus points for her vibrant, off-the-shoulder, orange blouse. However, I'm surprised that she wasn't asked to repronounce "Suez Canal." (I thought I heard "Soyuz.")
It's possible that Alice was trying give the native pronunciation https://forvo.com/word/arz/قناة_السويس/
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Maybe it just me...but when Kyle was introduced, my first reaction was that he looked like he was 16 years old! But he played the game like a veteran.

I was sorry to see Lisa go. I liked her.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Leander wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:47 pm
squarekara wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:56 pm Three good players today, and Alice gets bonus points for her vibrant, off-the-shoulder, orange blouse. However, I'm surprised that she wasn't asked to repronounce "Suez Canal." (I thought I heard "Soyuz.")
I heard Soyuz too.
So did I. I was astonished the judges did not correct this.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 pm NHO "Lorenzo the Magnificent". Can we poll?

You mean TWA actually stands for something?!

1. No poll. You'd be the only one.

2. Uh, yeah, just like BMW, AOL, and about a million other corporate initials.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:24 am
Leander wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:47 pm
I heard Soyuz too.
So did I. I was astonished the judges did not correct this.
She certainly mispronounced it--at least based on how we'd normally pronounce the word in the U.S.--but I didn't hear soyuz. I think the way she said it should have been considered acceptable by Jeopardy! standards.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

John Boy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 pm NHO "Lorenzo the Magnificent". Can we poll?
Actually, I must have missed class the day they covered the de Medici family so I had no idea either.

Three likable contestants, although there were some curious stand and stares. I was grateful for the fact that they didn't get to the rest of the NFL clues because that was just painful. And although it ended up not costing him, it's another case where classic movies would have helped Kyle with the Chuck Yeager clue - The Right Stuff.

Edited to add that I definitely heard "soyuz." I don't know if the judges were asleep or felt charitable or what but in no way was it anything close enough to "sue-ez." Other than it began with an "s" and ended with a "z."
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

John Boy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 am
He's not the only one.

I've heard the name Medici, but until yesterday I couldn't tell you a thing about him. Today, thanks to J!, I have a guess that it's a ruling family, probably in Italy.
--Peter