Tuesday, December 5, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7647, 2017-12-05

CONTESTANTS
Kimberly Kist, a retired teacher from Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Matthias Clark, a financial software consultant from River Forest, Illinois
Kyle Becker, a research scientist from Nashville, Tennessee (whose 1-day cash winnings total $18,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. I'll begin by telling you folks that I get just as excited, I'm sure, as you do when I get to host a game that is as competitive as yesterday's was. A great way to start the week. Kyle, congratulations. Matthias and Kimberly, you're the challengers today. You know what's involved. Good luck. Here we go. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HALLS OF FAME (3/5) (Alex: We'll give you some members. You identify the Halls of Fame for us.)
COOKBOOKS (0/3)
WAR IS OVER (3/5)
9-LETTER WORDS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"U" LOVE MUSIC (4/5)
A TRIP TO ITALY (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matthias: 10 R, 4 W
Kimberly: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Kyle: 4 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 11
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kyle found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Kyle was in the hole with -$400, Matthias had $3,000, and Kimberly was at $600. Kyle wagered $1,000.

9-LETTER WORDS $600: It's the branch of astronomy that studies the origin & structure of the universe

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matthias: $2,200
Kimberly: $1,400
Kyle: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kimberly Kist is a retired teacher from Pennsylvania. One of the things I've discovered hosting this program is that we are never too old to learn. You refer to yourself as a late bloomer because you got a special degree.

Kimberly: I did. I earned my master's degree after the age of 50 when I went back and decided to become a teacher.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Matthias Clark is from River Forest, Illinois. Now we're talking about college, going back to school. After graduation, you and some friends took a road trip from Seattle to Chicago?

Matthias: Yeah.

Alex: What kind of trip are we talking about here?

Matthias: So--

Alex: Acquiring knowledge or fun?

Matthias: Well, we saw multiple national parks. So we went to Yellowstone, saw the Grand Tetons, and two of my friends on the trip have family in the Tri-Cities, Washington and Bozeman, Montana area.

Alex: Terrific.

Alex: Kyle Becker is our champion. He's a research scientist, and--wait a minute. Let's go back to high school.

Kyle: Okay.

Alex: You were voted as...

Kyle: Most Likely to be on Jeopardy!

Alex: Why? 'Cause you were really bright?

Kyle: At that point, yes.

Alex: Did you take part in quizzes and trivia games and all that?

Kyle: Yeah, I did Science Olympiad and math team and all of those. However, I wasn't the first person from my high school class to be on Jeopardy!

Alex: Oh really?

Kyle: Liz Hutchens beat me to it by a couple years.

Alex: Wow.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WAR IS OVER $600: To some historians--Gen. E. Kirby Smith surrenders the Trans-Mississippi Department

WAR IS OVER $1000: A treaty is signed March 30, 1856
(Kyle: What is the French and Indian War?)

"U" LOVE MUSIC $600: Made for the category, this R&B singer gave us "U Remind Me", "U Got It Bad" & "U Don't Have To Call"

9-LETTER WORDS $1000: According to Genesis, on the second day God created this, which he called heaven

A TRIP TO ITALY $200: Italy's longest river, the Po flows 405 miles east to this sea
(Matthias: What is the Mediterranean?)
(Kimberly: What is the Tyrrhenian?)
(Kyle: What is the Aegean?)

HALLS OF FAME $800: Jacks,
stick
(Matthias: What are games?)

HALLS OF FAME $1000: Abigail Adams,
Dorothea Dix

COOKBOOKS $200: 4-time Olympian Shalane Flanagan provides nourishing recipes for athletes in "Run Fast. Eat" this way

COOKBOOKS $400: Part cookbook, part travel guide, "Rice, Noodle, Fish" is Matt Goulding's experience of the food culture of this country
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

A TRIP TO ITALY $800: Lists of the great builders of history leave out Giovanni di Simone, chief engineer of this structure in the 1270s
(Matthias: What is the Colosseum?)
(Kyle: What is St. Peter's Basilica?)

COOKBOOKS $600: For her fans, this actress wrote "My Prairie Cookbook: Memories and Frontier Food From My Little House to Yours"
(Kyle: Who is Wilder?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kimberly: $2,200
Matthias: $2,200
Kyle: -$600
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HALLS OF FAME (4/5)
FEELING YOUR OATHS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE ELEMENT NAMED FOR... (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
UNESCO CITIES OF LITERATURE (3/5)
POP CULTURE 2000 (2/4)
"G" STRING (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kyle: 11 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Matthias: 7 R, 3 W
Kimberly: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kyle snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Kyle had $1,000, Matthias had $1,800, and Kimberly was at $2,200. Kyle wagered $2,000.

THE ELEMENT NAMED FOR... $1600: An Italian-American physicist

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kyle who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Kyle had $9,400, Matthias had $4,600, and Kimberly was at $5,400. Kyle wagered $2,000.

FEELING YOUR OATHS $1600: This oath involves swearing to "Asclepius, Hygieia, Panacea & all the gods & goddesses"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE ELEMENT NAMED FOR... $400: The seventh planet from the sun
(Matthias: What is saturnium?)
(Kyle: What is Uranus?)

"G" STRING $2000: There are about 20 different varieties of this large, Australian monitor
(Kimberly: What is a Gila monster?)

UNESCO CITIES OF LITERATURE $1600: Literature about this Pampas cowboy helped get Montevideo recognized
(Matthias: Who is Pancho?)

UNESCO CITIES OF LITERATURE $2000: Thomas Bracken & Janet Frame are 2 authors from Dunedin in this country who bring that city to the forefront

HALLS OF FAME $800: It's automatic--19th c. physiologist Marshall Hall explained these responses to stimuli

POP CULTURE 2000 $2000: Her acclaimed album "Mama's Gun" featured the protest song "A.D. 2000"

POP CULTURE 2000 $1600: Long before he took us to "Manchester by the Sea", he made his feature directing debut with "You Can Count on Me"
(Matthias: Who is Casey Affleck?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kyle: $12,200
Matthias: $6,200
Kimberly: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY EUROPE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Kyle: Wager $201 to cover Matthias, but no more than $1,399 so as not to fall behind Kimberly's doubled score.
Matthias: You have the hope of surpassing Kyle if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,001 to force Kyle to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Kimberly.
Kimberly: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 1814-1815 gathering of leaders prompted Beethoven to compose the cantata "The Glorious Moment"

FINAL SCORES
Kimberly: $5,400 - $5,000 = $400 (What is the coronation) (3rd place: $1,000)
Matthias: $6,200 - $5,800 = $400 (What is the Council of N) (2nd place: $2,000)
Kyle: $12,200 - $201 = $11,999 (What is the College of Cardinals?) (2-day champion: $30,400)
(Alex: [To Matthias] Going for the council of what?)
(Matthias: Nicaea.)
(Alex: [To Kyle] Remember, 1814, 1815, just after the defeat of Napoleon. Napoleon's off to Elba. This was [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kyle: $11,000, 15 R (including 3 DDs), 5 W
Matthias: $6,200, 17 R, 7 W
Kimberly: $5,400, 7 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $22,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Matthias: 17/58 = .293
Kyle: 15/61 = .246
Kimberly: 7/58 = .121
Team: 39/63 = .619

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WAR IS OVER $200: Syria agrees to a cease-fire, June 1967
(Kimberly: What is the Seven Days War?)

9-LETTER WORDS $200: It's the old-timey mustache seen here

9-LETTER WORDS $800: A crime similar to kidnapping, or, medically, the movement of a limb away from the midline of the body
(Matthias: What is separation?)

A TRIP TO ITALY $600: 2.8 million Romans make Rome Italy's most populous city; this northern city is second with about 1.4 million

A TRIP TO ITALY $1000: You'll do lots of climbing just walking the streets of Positano on this coast on the Gulf of Salerno

HALLS OF FAME $1200: Electronic music and animal rights are among the passions of Richard Melville Hall, better known as this

HALLS OF FAME $2000: James Norman Hall from the Midwest moved to Tahiti & co-wrote the book about this British ship that sailed to Tahiti
(Alex: All about Mutiny on the [*].)

FEELING YOUR OATHS $2000: Financial advisors may take this type of oath that also starts with "fi" stating they will act in good faith
(Alex: With less than a minute to deal with the last category.)

POP CULTURE 2000 $800: (I'm Neil deGrasse Tyson.) I was flattered to be named "Sexiest Astrophysicist Alive" by this magazine back in 2000, but I'm inclined to wonder, who was I up against?
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
cosmology
the U.S. Civil War
the Crimean War
Usher
the firmament
the Adriatic
the Toy Hall of Fame
the Women's Hall of Fame
Run Fast. Eat Slow.
Japan
the Leaning Tower of Pisa
Melissa Gilbert
fermium
the Hippocratic Oath
uranium
goanna
the gaucho
New Zealand
reflexes
Erykah Badu
Kenneth Lonergan
the Congress of Vienna
the Six Days War
a handlebar
abduction
Milan
Amalfi
Moby
the Bounty
fiduciary
People
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY EUROPE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 1814-1815 gathering of leaders prompted Beethoven to compose the cantata “The Glorious Moment”

Kyle Becker: 12200-201=11999 (2x = $30,400)
Matthias Clark: 6200-5800=400
Kimberly Kist: 5400-5000=400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Congress of Vienna (Kyle – College of Cardinals) (Matthias – Council of N) (Kimberly – coronation)

Daily Doubles
Kyle: minus 400+1000
Kyle: 1000+2000
Kyle: 9400+2000

Coryats
Kyle: 11000
Matthias: 6200
Kimberly: 5400

Combined: 22,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Kyle: minus 600
Matthias: 2200
Kimberly: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It bugged me the whole game trying to figure out why Matthias looked familiar. I finally got it: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2925&p=173826

A TRIP TO ITALY $200: Italy’s longest river, the Po flows 405 miles east to this sea
No, not the Mediterranean, Tyrrhenian, or Aegean Sea. I like the amused expression on Alex’s face when he gave the correct response.

Kyle’s chat mentioned that he was not the first from his high school class to make it on J! as she: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=11026 got on before him.

If Kyle is going to have a bad round and a good round he’s doing them in the right order doing better in the DJ! round for the second day in a row.

The FJ! clue had me working for the solve as I read the clue and thought, “Oh yeah, that thing. What’s it called?” I had to get Nicaea and Ghent out of my head. After clearing my head and taking a breath I took the path of Austria capital city to get on track. That went on the paper and I needed another pause to recall what went with it for an unusual 2nd part then 1st part solve.

The Archive has many hits though none in the FJ! round. This game had a category devoted to it: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4711

It’s easy for me to pinpoint 12th grade World History class in 1980-81 when I first learned about the gathering.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I wonder if the reference to Beethoven threw them all for a loop? Because otherwise, it's pretty surprising that none of them seemed aware of the significance of the years given.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

I had League of Nations for FJ (And just when did that occur?)

PS: Was this taped before Monty Hall Died? Otherwise, surprised (and negatively) that he wasn't mentioned in the second HALLS OF FAME category.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:52 pm I had League of Nations for FJ (And just when did that occur?)
1920. So you were only off by 105 years. ;)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

The suspense that preceded "Fermium" was almost unbearable, and I think I've got an irregular heartbeat now as a result. However, we had complete faith in Kyle to turn things around in DJ just as he had done the previous day. For my husband, FJ was an instaget--not the case for me.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

For Kyle's interview: Alex said something like 'let us go back to your high school...' - was I the only one who thought 'it probably wasn't that long ago'.

Surprised no BMS on Med. sea for Adriatic...vaguely remember J powers doing that before.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I'd like to simply ignore my performance on today's game. I think I managed a solid 5th place from the 4th podium. :(

The safest category for me was 9-letter words. I only needed a working knowledge of English to keep from embarrassing myself, even picking up the LT for firmament. Everything else, well, with only 16 right answers (including the 4 in 9-letters), it just wasn't my day. Given all the LT left lying around, picking up only 4 (slow, firmament, Pisa, Uranium) isn't that good.

I didn't have a clue on FJ! today. It's only Tuesday, and I'm predicting this will claim low overall board "get" of the week in the weekly poll.

I guess I'll fess up to a 5,800 coryat. Just above Kimberly, but I got to answer every question that I wanted to and she didn't.

Let's move on, shall we?
--Peter
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The year on FJ led me right away to the correct event but I could not remember the proper name and could only think of Austria and Metternich. The correct answer came to me at about 20 seconds. I may have messed up if I had been under the lights!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:52 pm PS: Was this taped before Monty Hall Died?
About a month before.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

I said Council of Vienna for FJ. Sigh.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Add me to the crowd of got to the right topic, but couldn't come up with the name of the group. Ah well. The elusive 5/5 will have to wait another week!

Tough break to see our Sports J! alum unable to pull through at the majors.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Felt like there were a lot of stand and stares today.

Conversely, I thought "Six Days War" was very obscure for $200. Usually war + 1960s at $200 = Vietnam.

Adriatic also seemed tough for the top box, given the triple neg.

Jacks + stick = not games = confused TPH. I can understand the TS there.

"Run Fast" + "Eat [this way]" = ????? I could've taken 10,000 guesses and not gotten "slow".

Ran the "U" Music category.

For some reason, my brain just completely switched off in DJ! and I couldn't pull any answers at all. Uranium was obvious, but we all know how bad I am with the planets.

Lach Trash: Usher, firmament, Leaning Tower of Pisa, reflex

No idea what to guess on FJ!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Kyle shouldn't have played today. See my post on page 3 of Monday's game, December 4.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

floridagator wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 pm Kyle shouldn't have played today. See my post on page 3 of Monday's game, December 4.
Wrong.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I hope I get this board and these contestants when I go on the show. Triple Clanker on Adriatric? Picked up firmament, got Melissa Gilbert on the rebound, Run fast eat slow, Usher, uranium, reflex, and those are just the ones I can remember.

Not only did I get FJ, it was a precall. :ugeek:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Judges: Is "Operation Desert Storm" acceptable for "The Gulf War" in WAR IS OVER $400?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

(Apologies for the separate post, but I decided it's best to get my questions out when I watch them so I don't have to wait and remember, to prevent seeing a spoiler, and, perhaps, get an answer before I"m done watching if responses are fast enough)

For THE ELEMENT NAMED FOR $200, when asked for the one named for the rainbow, the correct answer was "Iridium" (or "Uridium" per my close captioning. WTF??). Could "chromium" work? (From ten seconds of Googling, it seems "chromium" is named for "colour", which is close enough for me, but I"ll defer to the hive mind here.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012