Monday, December 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, December 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by chmmr »

Volante wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 pm
chmmr wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:48 pm Nice of them to go with the five canonical Disney princesses. Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Aurora, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, and Belle in a fan drawing.

I'll bet Cinderella is the J6.
"The" five? There's always been more than five. Don't forget Ariel and Snow White.

Okay, okay, the *eight* canonical Disney princesses.

There's some more recent ones [Tiana, Rapunzel, Merida, and Moana] but I don't think they have been canonized yet.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

chmmr wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:39 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 pm
chmmr wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:48 pm Nice of them to go with the five canonical Disney princesses. Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Aurora, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, and Belle in a fan drawing.

I'll bet Cinderella is the J6.
"The" five? There's always been more than five. Don't forget Ariel and Snow White.

Okay, okay, the *eight* canonical Disney princesses.

There's some more recent ones [Tiana, Rapunzel, Merida, and Moana] but I don't think they have been canonized yet.
I'm not familiar with whatever process by which Disney canonizes their princesses but in yesterday's J6,
Spoiler
Moana
apparently made the cut.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

squarekara wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:09 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:33 pm
Insta-final. This helped, though I thought it was more recent than two+ years ago. https://gizmodo.com/childhood-stripped- ... 1684449216
The satiric take-away from this link is "Remember kids, it's not the taking part that counts--it's soullessly crushing the opposition." I'm gonna cross-stitch that onto a pillow right this minute. :lol:
I believe a famous Chinese philosopher once said, "It is not enough that I should win - all others must lose."
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Coryat: 23600

36 R, 3W

FJ: :D
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:32 am
John Boy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 pm NHO "Lorenzo the Magnificent". Can we poll?
1. No poll. You'd be the only one.
Actually, I must have missed class the day they covered the de Medici family so I had no idea either.

Three likable contestants, although there were some curious stand and stares. I was grateful for the fact that they didn't get to the rest of the NFL clues because that was just painful. And although it ended up not costing him, it's another case where classic movies would have helped Kyle with the Chuck Yeager clue - The Right Stuff.

Edited to add that I definitely heard "soyuz." I don't know if the judges were asleep or felt charitable or what but in no way was it anything close enough to "sue-ez." Other than it began with an "s" and ended with a "z."
Exactly. It began with an "s" and ended with a "z." It made the 2 middle vowels into a diphthong that admittedly doesn't exist in English, but might in another language. She didn't add or subtract any letters. So they gave it to her.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

DBear wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:39 pm easy FJ, but didn't expect a triget. TS on TWA when spotted "across the globe"? Woof.
You called? :lol: I got it, too, BTW, so good call.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Great contestants and fun categories, except for NFL and Disney (barf) Princesses

But how many times did we hear "please" tonight when the categories were called? Might be a new record

And what's up with the glut of promotional video categories? Do these all bring in extra ad revenue for the show?

I also heard Soy-ez. It's always jarring when a player mispronounces something and then Alex follows up with Yes - and then offers a corrected pronunciation.

I wasn't getting Lorenzo the Magnificent (thought maybe Cosimo?), but still SMH at the Catherine TS
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 pm NHO "Lorenzo the Magnificent". Can we poll?
Actually, I must have missed class the day they covered the de Medici family so I had no idea either.

Three likable contestants, although there were some curious stand and stares. I was grateful for the fact that they didn't get to the rest of the NFL clues because that was just painful. And although it ended up not costing him, it's another case where classic movies would have helped Kyle with the Chuck Yeager clue - The Right Stuff.

Edited to add that I definitely heard "soyuz." I don't know if the judges were asleep or felt charitable or what but in no way was it anything close enough to "sue-ez." Other than it began with an "s" and ended with a "z."
Exactly. It began with an "s" and ended with a "z." It made the 2 middle vowels into a diphthong that admittedly doesn't exist in English, but might in another language. She didn't add or subtract any letters. So they gave it to her.
So if the response is supposed to be "bread" but someone says "brood," it's ok?

It was just a weird moment because Suez is not a particularly difficult word to pronounce and I would have expected them to at least ask her to say it again. Did she add a letter? I think if you add a "y," that's no different from an added consonant. Maybe they took a break and dealt with it then - but it was still an odd moment, even though they are routinely (and properly) lenient on foreign words/names.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:17 pm
davey wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 pm

So if the response is supposed to be "bread" but someone says "brood," it's ok?
Possibly, especially if it's a bread from Holland or Sweden...Or if the player is!... ;)
But a distinction is that "Suez" is not an English word.
If it could be proved that she was actually mixing up the canal with a Russian spacecraft, I might think she was adding a "y."
davey

Post by davey »

There was another odd pronunciation in this game. Alex's rendering of the category "Health and Med-EE-chee" kind of ruined the pun.
He and at least one of the players later gave it the more common reading of MED-i-chee...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:50 pm There was another odd pronunciation in this game. Alex's rendering of the category "Health and Med-EE-chee" kind of ruined the pun.
He and at least one of the players later gave it the more common reading of MED-i-chee...
One could argue that because the C changes from an S to a ch from "medicine" to "Medici," it is only meant to be a pun of orthography, unaffected in delivery by pronunciation preferences.
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:22 pm
davey wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:50 pm There was another odd pronunciation in this game. Alex's rendering of the category "Health and Med-EE-chee" kind of ruined the pun.
One could argue that because the C changes from an S to a ch from "medicine" to "Medici," it is only meant to be a pun of orthography, unaffected in delivery by pronunciation preferences.
One could, but would one...? ;)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Just distancing myself from my own argument because it's not a hill I'm interested in dying on!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Here's Alice's response for those who want to give it another listen:

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:07 pm
squarekara wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:09 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:33 pm
Insta-final. This helped, though I thought it was more recent than two+ years ago. https://gizmodo.com/childhood-stripped- ... 1684449216
The satiric take-away from this link is "Remember kids, it's not the taking part that counts--it's soullessly crushing the opposition." I'm gonna cross-stitch that onto a pillow right this minute. :lol:
I believe a famous Chinese philosopher once said, "It is not enough that I should win - all others must lose."
Holidays are coming up. Is it too late to slap these slogans on some official JBoard merch?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:46 pm Here's Alice's response for those who want to give it another listen:

My primary objective as a J! contestant was to not have any of my responses repronounced by Alex. (I failed.) This post is literally my worst nightmare. (Alice, we all know you played a great game!)
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Since we all get to have a meaningless opinion on Alice's diction, I'll toss in mine.

I heard "soy ehz". Not quite the typical American "sue ehz". But definitely not "soy ooze" - which, in addition to being a Russian/Soviet space craft, would make an interesting brand name for tofu you squeeze from a tube. :D

I have no problem accepting it as a good-enough answer.
--Peter
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:07 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:46 pm Here's Alice's response for those who want to give it another listen:
Spoiler
My primary objective as a J! contestant was to not have any of my responses repronounced by Alex. (I failed.) This post is literally my worst nightmare. (Alice, we all know you played a great game!)
She did indeed!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Why did no one notice that the so-called new champ really lost? He wrote Where's WELDO!!!
Waldo2.png
Waldo2.png (242.66 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
waldo.png
waldo.png (183.93 KiB) Viewed 5080 times
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

squarekara wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:07 pm
Alice did indeed. I was a bit surprised that the pronunciation was accepted, but if it's good enough for Alex and the judges, who am I to second guess?

I also was hoping to avoid pronunciation corrections by Alex. Not only did he correct at least a couple of my answers where I knew the words from reading but had never heard them pronounced, in one game we had as a category "LE RESTAURANT SPLENDIDE." I mispronounced the category name every time I called for a clue. Sigh.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.