Tuesday, December 5, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

For the second day in a row Kyle was able to wager and win more than the amount he had on hand for a DD. Yesterday he had $1800 and bet $2000. Today he was in the red and bet $1000. I wonder what the longest streak is for that peculiar feat.

Kyle got negged for saying Uranus when the clue wanted uranium. I guess they didn't have the heart to neg him again when he made the opposite error. But the clue for which he said curium was really asking for the Curies.

Less than 2 months ago "Mediterranean" got a BMS when they wanted Aegean. ($200 clue in SEAS.) Is this just inconsistent or is there a reason this should happen for Aegean but not for Adriatic? I got Adriatic right away, largely because of the Albania song from Cheers.

I took the gila monster negbait (or derpbait if you prefer). I should've known better since the clue specified an Australian animal. I know from Treasure of the Sierra Madre that gila monsters are North American.

No chance on FJ. Might have gotten it on a multiple choice test if the other possibilities were a) The Council of Nicaea, b) The College of Cardinals, and c) The coronation of Emperor Francis I of Austria. But I was not coming up with "Congress of Vienna" on my own. So I have nothing but sympathy for the flailing attempts to write SOMETHING down.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:20 pm Judges: Is "Operation Desert Storm" acceptable for "The Gulf War" in WAR IS OVER $400?
Yes on Desert Storm, no on chromium. Iridium is named after Iris, Greek for rainbow. There is no other element that matches the clue.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Got Dunedin mainly because I have a friend who lives there (and another friend who lives here who used to live there). Also figured it'd be a stand-and-stare as it's not well-known.

Was close on Final, thought it either had something to do with the end of the War of 1812 or the defeat of Napoleon. Couldn't rack my brain as to the name though (WAGged "Treaty of Paris" because there's so gosh-darn many of them figured I had a shot (is "The Treaty of Paris" the legal equivalent of a Lucky Johnson?) - interestingly when looking at the list to get the previous link, it turns out the Treaty of Paris in fact was instrumental in Napoleon's defeat, so I was even closer than I thought!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 pm
dhkendall wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:20 pm Judges: Is "Operation Desert Storm" acceptable for "The Gulf War" in WAR IS OVER $400?
Yes on Desert Storm, no on chromium. Iridium is named after Iris, Greek for rainbow. There is no other element that matches the clue.
I suspect Desert Storm would get a BMS.
I don't recall ever hearing of the Congress of Vienna, so I had no shot at this one.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 pm No chance on FJ. Might have gotten it on a multiple choice test if the other possibilities were a) The Council of Nicaea, b) The College of Cardinals, and c) The coronation of Emperor Francis I of Austria. But I was not coming up with "Congress of Vienna" on my own. So I have nothing but sympathy for the flailing attempts to write SOMETHING down.
+ 1 to what the flightless bird said.

Am I the only hillbilly who took the detour through the Battle of New Orleans because of the Johnny Horton song? "In 1814 we took a little trip...". Once ruling that out as worthy of European world leaders or Beethoven's attention, I couldn't produce anything on the continent. I finally chose "Vatican 1", just thinking Vatican 2 was in the 1960's and came long after Vatican 1. Whatever a "Vatican" is.

I've always abhorred the trans-uranic elements (sorry, seaborgium), but now want to discover one and name it "saturnium". I did NOT get "Uridium" (same closed captioning), and thought it was one of the pointless new trans-uranics. Thanks to DHK for explainifying the correct answer Iridium, which is an awesome element as poor man's platinum. Plus it is the densest element according to the popular vote, but loses the electoral college to osmium.
Spoiler
smell checked my comment and adding link for extra credit https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-the-h ... ent-606627
I really don't know how the contestant got this one, as it is new etymology to me and it would be hard to run the names until something clicked.

On a personal note- heading to LaLa land in the morning and will be off the J! grid until catching up next week. I'll look for that new J! souvenir about crushing your opponent, lol..
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:17 pm It bugged me the whole game trying to figure out why Matthias looked familiar. I finally got it: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2925&p=173826
For some reason, his smiling when he was revealed as the new champ reminded me of George Takei.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 pm Kyle shouldn't have played today. See my post on page 3 of Monday's game, December 4.
Wrong.
Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown. To misquote Jim Croce: you don't venture on the J! FB group, you don't hope TPH will learn anything, you don't expect floridagator to go back and acknowledge clear evidence such as HD reproductions of photos heretofore provided by a camera shot of an old tube TV display, and you don't mess around with Jim.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 pm Kyle got negged for saying Uranus when the clue wanted uranium. I guess they didn't have the heart to neg him again when he made the opposite error. But the clue for which he said curium was really asking for the Curies.
The category was "The element named for" which is why Uranus was wrong in the first place.

I think we found the missing TOC FJs...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:33 pm I think we found the missing TOC FJs...
This episode was taped three weeks before the ToC, so these definitely wouldn't be the missing ToC FJs.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:54 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:33 pm I think we found the missing TOC FJs...
This episode was taped three weeks before the ToC, so these definitely wouldn't be the missing ToC FJs.
They could've had the clues written a month early then shuffled them into the regular stack on accident. Still possible!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:56 pm
They could've had the clues written a month early then shuffled them into the regular stack on accident. Still possible!
I could break Ken Jennings' record. Still possible!
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:29 pm...and you don't mess around with Jim.
Aw, you can mess around with me a little bit.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Fame (4), Cookbook (2), War (5), 9-Letter Words (1), "U" Music (5), Italy (2)
Halls (2), Oaths (2), Element (4), Literature (2), 2000 (2), "G" String (2)

Lach Trash: U.S. Civil War, Crimean War, Usher, Women's Hall of Fame, Japan, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Melissa Gilbert, uranium

Instaget FJ because of the years; also one of my correct answers during the mock game at my Chicago audition back in March 2014. I don't think the clue for it was the same though.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

This was one of my best boards since i've started tracking my scores, $30,000 even Coryat. Unfortunately I had no answer for FJ; knew it had to do with Napoleon because of 1815 but NHO the Council Congress of Vienna.
Last edited by nklotz on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 Game Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

dhkendall wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: It bugged me the whole game trying to figure out why Matthias looked familiar. I finally got it: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2925&p=173826
For some reason, his smiling when he was revealed as the new champ reminded me of George Takei.
Are you talking about Mathias or Kyle?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:54 pm Got Dunedin mainly because I have a friend who lives there (and another friend who lives here who used to live there). Also figured it'd be a stand-and-stare as it's not well-known.
I'm a huge fan of '80s indie rock from New Zealand (Flying Nun records), so Dunedin was easy for me (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunedin_Sound). An interesting bit of trivia is that the name "Dunedin" comes from the Scottish name for Edinburgh: Dùn Èideann.

No chance on FJ. I figured it had to due with the end of the Napoleonic era, but didn't know about the Congress of Vienna.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 Game Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:40 pm
dhkendall wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: It bugged me the whole game trying to figure out why Matthias looked familiar. I finally got it: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2925&p=173826
Are you talking about Mathias or Kyle?
Ooops, that'd be Kyle. I had in mind to mention the resemblance (at least that I saw) but seeing Marks' post sidetracked me to think "oooh, a vaguely-similar-if-you-squint topic, it must be talking about the same one!' I have a very stupid, easily distractible brain. My Coryats and LL record will attest to this.

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

33 R
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Civil War, Crimean War, Usher, Adriatic, Toy, Women's, Slow, Japan, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Uranium, Gaucho, New Zealand, Reflexes
Douglas Squasoni
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I don't remember the game's name anymore but we had a board game that featured a world map & Dunedin was one of the places to take over. I pronounced it as Dune-din but I know better now. Anyway, easy FJ for me. The contestants were off on quite a few clues today.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 pm For the second day in a row Kyle was able to wager and win more than the amount he had on hand for a DD. Yesterday he had $1800 and bet $2000. Today he was in the red and bet $1000. I wonder what the longest streak is for that peculiar feat.
I found zero contestants on the Archive who have done that three games in a row (and only four other players who have ever done it three or more times total). The longest streak I could find where any of the players made more on a Daily Double than they currently had is five straight games, most recently during the week of February 2, 2009.