The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Anachronism »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:28 pm
So should I stop wasting mine too, since I'm clearly never gonna get this? I literally had to sit down and figure out 592+8 on paper.
I'm wondering how paper helps. I'm imagining this big Where's Waldo diorama with a whole host of people holding up their hands. But because of yesterday's show, we know that would take illustrators ages to fill in all those fingers, so how did you do it? Is there a shortcut for drawing fingers?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Anachronism wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:28 pm
So should I stop wasting mine too, since I'm clearly never gonna get this? I literally had to sit down and figure out 592+8 on paper.
I'm wondering how paper helps. I'm imagining this big Where's Waldo diorama with a whole host of people holding up their hands. But because of yesterday's show, we know that would take illustrators ages to fill in all those fingers, so how did you do it? Is there a shortcut for drawing fingers?
I assume it's just arranging the numbers in a column and working out 8 + 2 = 10 so bring down 0 to the units place, carry the 1, 1 + 9 = 10 so bring down 0 to the tens place, carry the 1, 1 + 5 = 6 so bring down 6 to the hundreds place --> 600. Viola! It's the same thing we might do with a more complicated problem like 3,785 + 276. Some people can manipulate that one in their head; others feel like their head's about to explode. TPH's dyscalculia is fairly severe but it's not in principle difficult to understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 am What kind of transportation would have a "cabin 10"? What did you wind up guessing? I can think of one wrong answer I would have given.
I wouldn't know what would have a "cabin 10" since my knowledge of cruise ships begins and ends with "cruise ships exist". Train seemed like a perfectly cromulent neg.
1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 amWhat are the monuments you know in DC? Obviously with the time, Lincoln Memorial is not the answer, so pick another one.
[citation needed]
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:28 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 amWhat are the monuments you know in DC? Obviously with the time, Lincoln Memorial is not the answer, so pick another one.
[citation needed]
Do you really need a citation to know that Lincoln wouldn't have been in attendance when the cornerstone was laid at the Lincoln Memorial?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:21 pm
[citation needed]
Do you really need a citation to know that Lincoln wouldn't have been in attendance when the cornerstone was laid at the Lincoln Memorial?
No, but I need to remember that Lincoln was in the freaking clue to begin with. That DOES narrow it down. :oops:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:38 pm I thought "Six Days War" was very obscure for $200. Usually war + 1960s at $200 = Vietnam.
Not when Syria is mentioned, mate. That's on the other end of the continent. (Even if you didn't know that, I'm 82% sure you at least recognize Syria as "not Vietnam")

Otherwise, yes, Vietnam is a cromulent guess, as it is the most well known war of the 1960s. That's why Syria was thrown in to narrow it down. (Well, also aside from the fact that the Vietnam war didn't *end* in the 1960s, and the category was about wars ending. Hopefully you remember that (I have a hard time thinking of the Vietnam War waging any earlier than 1967, even though it was at least 10 years old then. I blame being born in 1972 for that.))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:38 pm I thought "Six Days War" was very obscure for $200. Usually war + 1960s at $200 = Vietnam.
Not when Syria is mentioned, mate. That's on the other end of the continent. (Even if you didn't know that, I'm 82% sure you at least recognize Syria as "not Vietnam")

Otherwise, yes, Vietnam is a cromulent guess, as it is the most well known war of the 1960s. That's why Syria was thrown in to narrow it down. (Well, also aside from the fact that the Vietnam war didn't *end* in the 1960s, and the category was about wars ending. Hopefully you remember that (I have a hard time thinking of the Vietnam War waging any earlier than 1967, even though it was at least 10 years old then. I blame being born in 1972 for that.))
I honestly thought the Six Days War was waaaaaaaaaaaaay earlier than that. Like around the same time as the Hundred Years' War.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 pm I honestly thought the Six Days War was waaaaaaaaaaaaay earlier than that. Like around the same time as the Hundred Years' War.
Six-Day War. No 's' at the end of 'day'.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 pm
dhkendall wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 pm

I honestly thought the Six Days War was waaaaaaaaaaaaay earlier than that. Like around the same time as the Hundred Years' War.
I can see where that comes from, as that's the age of Let's Name A War After How Long It Is Because It's The Dark Ages And We're Uncreative And Hey At Least If We Name It We'll Know When To End The War In Advance Period. But, you may have noticed that the Hundred Years War was a very long time, a lot longer than the Six Day War. (*Please* tell me you know this.) Because wars back then took a Bloody Long Time due to warfare technology. The Thirty Years War was the Six Day War of the period. So anything with a short time frame has to be very recent. (Although the shortest war in history, the approximately 40 minute long Anglo-Zanzibar War was over 100 years ago, a lifetime ago in the war technology department.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 am What kind of transportation would have a "cabin 10"? What did you wind up guessing? I can think of one wrong answer I would have given.
I wouldn't know what would have a "cabin 10" since my knowledge of cruise ships begins and ends with "cruise ships exist". Train seemed like a perfectly cromulent neg.
Yes, I think train would have been a perfectly acceptable guess at it. That's probably what I would have done.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Who do you think fought in this war?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:35 pm
Who do you think fought in this war?
I don't know and honestly, war is one of the only subjects I haven't even tried to learn anything about, because it just holds that little interest to me. At least my endless barrage of WLTs shows some desire of wanting to at least TRY to learn... but war, just nope.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:06 pm I recognized The Blind Side as a Sandra Bullock movie, but I forgot to RTFC and had no idea what they wanted. Then in the second box, I recognized the quote, but gave the movie and not the actor. Did AT explain the category?

Also, what led everyone to Merkel?
Yes. Alex: You have to name the actor or actress from the film dialogue we will give you as a quote.

If the FJ! clue had been: Name a famous 2015 European woman

Who do you have? Not always, but sometimes you can dismiss Britain, UK, England when the clue says European. The clue narrowed it down to 2015. I subscribe to the magazine and remember the cover. Advantage me. Even without that edge I would have had no better name to guess.

The 2017 Person of the Year was announced this week and has been all over the news everywhere you look and hear. Do you know that one? It's not a good clue for you while it will play a little better for many others. I would not have risked more than $20 on it going 3/3 on the show, so good for them for all coming through with her.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 pm If the FJ! clue had been: Name a famous 2015 European woman

Who do you have?
I have "Uhhhhhhhhh.............."
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 pm If the FJ! clue had been: Name a famous 2015 European woman

Who do you have?
Surely you have heard of Angela Merkel
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

nklotz wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Who do you have?
I have, but she completely failed to surface in 30 seconds.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Who do you have?
Did you notice he was quoting your avatar?
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Who do you have?
I like to imagine that TPH spends the entire 30 seconds of FJ just making the Tina Belcher moan only to fail to come up with a response.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

nklotz wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:34 pm

Who do you have?
I like to imagine that TPH spends the entire 30 seconds of FJ just making the Tina Belcher moan only to fail to come up with a response.
But even Tina Belcher would come up with a response! (Said response is likely to be 'butts' but she's not worried about being incorrect either.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:00 pm
nklotz wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:24 pm
But even Tina Belcher would come up with a response! (Said response is likely to be 'butts' but she's not worried about being incorrect either.)
Of course she's worried about being incorrect. She's worried about everything! She just doesn't let that stop her. Tina is a true heroine to neurotics everywhere. "What are... butts? No. Wait. What are zombies? Ummmm..... What are zombie butts?"