Tuesday, December 5, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 pm Kyle got negged for saying Uranus when the clue wanted uranium. I guess they didn't have the heart to neg him again when he made the opposite error. But the clue for which he said curium was really asking for the Curies.
That clue asked for the Curies just as much as the previous one asked for Uranus (which is to say only the category name indicated an element was wanted, and the clue text could be transplanted word for word into a different category and have the elements' respective eponyms as responses).
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

Instaget FJ for me just off the dates, and surprised it was a TS and appears to be polling so low for the board.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:40 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 pm Kyle got negged for saying Uranus when the clue wanted uranium. I guess they didn't have the heart to neg him again when he made the opposite error. But the clue for which he said curium was really asking for the Curies.
That clue asked for the Curies just as much as the previous one asked for Uranus (which is to say only the category name indicated an element was wanted, and the clue text could be transplanted word for word into a different category and have the elements' respective eponyms as responses).
On reviewing the tape, I concede the point. The category was THE ELEMENT NAMED FOR.... On its own, this could either refer to the element name itself or be asking you to fill in the blank indicated by the ellipsis. However, the structure of the clues makes it clear that they are filling in the blank so the contestant should provide the element name. Oddly, I got uranium right and then failed to learn from Kyle's mistake.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Leander wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 am Instaget FJ for me just off the dates, and surprised it was a TS and appears to be polling so low for the board.
I had never heard of FJ and went with the Treaty of Ghent just because it was the only thing that fit for me in the timeline. Always glad to learn something new when it only costs me a little embarrassment.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

History apparently wasn't a long suit for this group - Kyle and Matthias in particular, and resulted in some pretty wild responses. Council of Nicea - ok, it is better to put anything down, but that was off by 1500 years. And Kyle had the French and Indian War still raging more than 100 years after it concluded - and the French would apparently have been roaming around the United States? The Coliseum being built in the 13th century??

Still, another very likable group that were fun to watch.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Yes, a likeable group, but not a particularly stellar performance, including some pretty bad misses.

Lach Trash: Civil War, Crimean War, firmament, Adriatic, (run fast, eat...) slow, Melissa Gilbert, leaning tower of Pisa...all in the first round?! woof.

Plus gaucho and uranium in the second round, gave me $6400 from the 4th podium, better than Matthias or Kimberly.

I don't know if it's just me, but I thought FJ was a huge negbait for Treaty of Ghent (1814, same starting year as the FJ clue). (grumble, grumble) I mean, they were both large international conventions in Europe at the same time.

And if it was stupid to guess Ghent, at least it was a tiny bit better than Nicea. :roll:
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

There sure have been a lot of unanswered clues on J lately. I had 10 LT's Tuesday. Got the final after first saying Conference but changing to Congress in plenty of time.
Le Flaneur
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ, but was far from certain. I had no idea when it took place or why they were holding it.
davey

Post by davey »

Hooray for AP European History! For me, this FJ was 10 times more obvious than Monday's...(And I was just reminiscing about that class with a friend the very evening this aired.)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:40 pm (Apologies for the separate post, but I decided it's best to get my questions out when I watch them so I don't have to wait and remember, to prevent seeing a spoiler, and, perhaps, get an answer before I"m done watching if responses are fast enough)

For THE ELEMENT NAMED FOR $200, when asked for the one named for the rainbow, the correct answer was "Iridium" (or "Uridium" per my close captioning. WTF??). Could "chromium" work? (From ten seconds of Googling, it seems "chromium" is named for "colour", which is close enough for me, but I"ll defer to the hive mind here.
You're not the only one who guessed chromium.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

John Boy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:03 pmPlus gaucho and uranium in the second round, gave me $6400 from the 4th podium, better than Matthias or Kimberly.
I blanked on "Pampas cowboy" because I thought they were going for a proper name

I struggled with these boards, but still picked up lots of trash including Erykah Badu and Kenneth Lonergan

$1600 DD in OATHS - anyone else pre-call Hippocratic? I would've gone TDD there

Stood and stared at "The element named for the sun" - doh! 7th planet sent me into a panic, but for sure would've got it on the rebound. My brain doesn't work that way. Tell me to name Star Wars Episode 5 under the lights and I would just freeze