Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:02 am I figured that the city had to be in upstate New York on the Lake Ontario question, but I never even thought of Rochester and guessed Albany.
I whiffed on this one, too, with Buffalo. I thought Buffalo was on Lake Erie rather than Lake Ontario, but for whatever reason I always thought of Rochester as being inland and didn't really consider it.

Pretty difficult match day yesterday. I see lots of red on my player tracker. I only got three right and lost my match.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 am
StevenH wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:02 am I figured that the city had to be in upstate New York on the Lake Ontario question, but I never even thought of Rochester and guessed Albany.
I whiffed on this one, too, with Buffalo. I thought Buffalo was on Lake Erie rather than Lake Ontario, but for whatever reason I always thought of Rochester as being inland and didn't really consider it.

Pretty difficult match day yesterday. I see lots of red on my player tracker. I only got three right and lost my match.
I grew up in NYC and went to college in Albany. I always thought that Rochester was inland too, but not by that much. Figured that had to be the answer, though, thinking the city boundaries were extended to the Lake at some point. Even if the Buffalo city boundaries had been extended as well, its population was not just over 210,000, even though it has been on the decline for decades.
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

I got Rochester as I've been to Buffalo several times, and realize that Lake Ontario approaches I90 just to the east of Buffalo and Rochester is the biggest city in that area. Was so mad at myself when I submitted and saw that my initial thoughts of grog and proton were both right. I couldn't think of anything related to grog which was waterproof or coat related (ended up thinking someone in the 1700s would consider wool and then sheepskin waterproof and went with sheepshead) and honestly thought proton was way way too obvious and went with positron. It didn't cost me as I won anyway 3(3)-2(1).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:28 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:34 am It's very freeing when you know you only have 2 right. Like, no need to fret about this. Probably not gonna win.

And I didn't.
I did. Against a former ToCer, no less. 3(2)-2(2), both only getting Cheese and grog.
Not quite as convivial as sharing a six-pack to be sure, but it makes for a nice light snack :mrgreen:
Woof

Post by Woof »

StevenH wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:02 am My regression to the mean continues, but I somehow tied, 1(1)-1(1).

My opponent only knew grog and gave me a 0 for it, but it rings no bells at all to me.

I figured that the city had to be in upstate New York on the Lake Ontario question, but I never even thought of Rochester and guessed Albany.

My thought process on the proton question: "Wouldn't that have to be either a proton or a neutron? It says positive charge, so it has to be a proton. But that seems way too obvious! Maybe that's actually a neutrino. I'll say that instead." D'oh!
For me, it was a 50/50 of Syracuse and Rochester (knew that Albany was on the Hudson) that -- mirabile dictu! -- I got right. For the baryon question, I suspect that the small numbers meant little to most, so the 3 quarks hint was an important one. If one recalls that the name arose from Murray Gell-Mann's use of the line "Three quarks for Muster Mark" in Finnegan's wake because protons and neutrons are composed of three quarks, then that number steers you to the correct answer.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Lucky me! 3 right for a tie- 5(3)-5(4)

Turns out Hariri isn’t resigning after all

Went with dark and stormy for the rum drink- no other guess there

Also went with Buffalo but figured the population was gonna be much higher. Flirted with Niagra but that didn’t seem right at all

Heathrow... Doh! Really don’t know anything about London- all the areas I could possibly name still exist today
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 am
Living in one of the 12 cities on Lake Ontario over 100k, this was easy to me (and only got me a point). More difficult was naming all 12 of the cities - I got to 10 or 11. Most of us just lump about 8 of these into the GTA (greater Toronto area) since there isn't really a break in the urban area for a few hundred km around Toronto.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Woof wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:01 am For the baryon question, I suspect that the small numbers meant little to most, so the 3 quarks hint was an important one. If one recalls that the name arose from Murray Gell-Mann's use of the line "Three quarks for Muster Mark" in Finnegan's wake because protons and neutrons are composed of three quarks, then that number steers you to the correct answer.
Or everything in that question made zero sense, so I latched onto the positive electric charge and guessed proton because my head hurt just looking at the question otherwise.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jfrumkin wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:30 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:01 am For the baryon question, I suspect that the small numbers meant little to most, so the 3 quarks hint was an important one. If one recalls that the name arose from Murray Gell-Mann's use of the line "Three quarks for Muster Mark" in Finnegan's wake because protons and neutrons are composed of three quarks, then that number steers you to the correct answer.
Or everything in that question made zero sense, so I latched onto the positive electric charge and guessed proton because my head hurt just looking at the question otherwise.
I wish I'd made it that simple. I guessed muon for no good reason other than it sounded good.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Can't believe my opponent scored buckshot yesterday. I thought those were easier than usual.
5(4)-0(0) :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: missed Hariri and Rochester.
For Q1, I gave up on coming up with a guess, and shot for (and missed) BWA, with Abdul "The Zoot Suit from Beirut" Muhamad.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:53 pm Can't believe my opponent scored buckshot yesterday. I thought those were easier than usual.
Actually it was tied for the second hardest day overall for the season thus far. See:
https://learnedleague.com/allrundles.php?75
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

I caught up with SriranganA[nupama] in PMs and it appears that her R rundle has two players who have dropped out — all forfeits after a certain date. How unfortunate for them, and how fortunate-yet-hollow for all the players yet to have their matches with them. How often does this happen? Also, are those players' referrers now in a bit of a pickle with the Commissioner?

How proud are you, Kelly, to have brought in someone who is now dominating her R rundle? 8-) She is kicking some serious butt.

Overall, of players from that J! taping session who have joined LL or were apparently already there, there's some decent success going around.
  • SriranganA 12-2-0, 1st/22 R Memorial Div2
  • DopplerT 8-3-3, 7th/26 R Valley, 1 beer
  • PatersonP 8-5-1, 8th/22 R Summit Div2
  • HugheyR 7-5-2, 10th/24 R Midland Div2
  • McCaffertyT 7-3-4, 4th/26 B Cascade, 1 Dolly
IIRC it's been clarified that RogersA is not the recent J! champ.

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm
zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:53 pm Can't believe my opponent scored buckshot yesterday. I thought those were easier than usual.
Actually it was tied for the second hardest day overall for the season thus far. See:
https://learnedleague.com/allrundles.php?75
Fascinating. Guess I'm even happier with my 5(4)! :mrgreen: Unfortunately "Questions in LL75 MD14" is a pretty narrow wheelhouse.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:17 pm
I wish I'd made it that simple. I guessed muon for no good reason other than it sounded good.
Overthought it here, went with positron. Forgot electrons (and therefore by extension, it's anti- counterpart) aren't made of quarks. Thought I caught the trick when they listed positive charge.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:35 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:17 pm
Overthought it here, went with positron. Forgot electrons (and therefore by extension, it's anti- counterpart) aren't made of quarks. Thought I caught the trick when they listed positive charge.
At the risk of belaboring the point, baryon is another hint as the etymology is bary- meaning heavy. So, a heavy particle would certainly exclude neutrinos and most likely electrons and their ilk too. I know, hindsight is 20/20.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got one question right yesterday and was sure I was going to lose but I pulled a 3(1)-2(3) for my first Buckner win.

I'm rank 25 out of 28 right now and 23 through 28 get relegated. I'm within 4 points of being in the top 10 and only 1 point away from moving outside relegation.

I get to play econgator tomorrow.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:32 pmAlso, are those players' referrers now in a bit of a pickle with the Commissioner?
In my first non-rookie season, the person I referred forfeited most of her matches -- she said she wasn't getting the emails at first, and then she said she turned out to be busier than she thought she would be.

I never heard anything from the commissioner, and my referral privilege remained intact (in the seasons since, I've referred people who are much more reliable). I think it's expected that this may happen with a certain percentage of rookies, no matter how thoroughly the referral was vetted and prepped.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 pm I got one question right yesterday and was sure I was going to lose but I pulled a 3(1)-2(3) for my first Buckner win.
Nice! I've been LLing for six years and have yet to be on either side of a Buckner (although I believe I've been on both sides of a tie where one player got two fewer right).
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

(MD15) :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 6(4)-9(6) L
Was so proud of getting four right, then my opponent (one of the rundle's trio of leaders) came out and claimed a six-pack. Sigh.
At least I scored my first 3PT of the season (on Q6, of all things).
I said "pops" for Q4 and just about kicked myself when I saw "philharmonic".
The top 3 in R Summit Div2 are now all tied at 25 league points with a 25-point advantage in MPD over the closest rival. So it's beginning to look like the B Rundle assignments from this group are pretty much clinched already, and the way they've been playing, I don't begrudge them a bit.

SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I made it 8 losses in my last 9 matches on MD15, losing 2(3)-7(5), and sinking to 18th in the rundle. Will take an extended losing streak to drop any lower, as I have a 3-point lead on 19th place and a 7-point lead over the last place person in our division...but I'll need to turn things around to avoid relegation now. Sadly, I have the highest correct answer percentage I've ever recorded in LL but it is not enough in this D grouping. Appears I am headed back to E for LL76.