Wednesday, December 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7648, 2017-12-06

CONTESTANTS
Eric Dravland, a pediatrician from Lenoir, North Carolina
Lindsay Norsworthy, a small business owner from Linthicum Heights, Maryland
Kyle Becker, a research scientist from Nashville, Tennessee (whose 2-day cash winnings total $30,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you. Thank you very much. Welcome. Yesterday's show as a perfect example of Chief Dan George's line in the movie Little Big Man. "Some days the magic works. Some days it doesn't." But I'm hoping for the sake of Lindsay, Eric and Kyle that today is a lot different in a positive way. So good luck. Here we go. All right, let's put the categories up on the board, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THEY MADE THE CABINET (5/5)
NATIONAL DAYS (4/5)
PUT A "LID" ON IT (5/5)
THE EYE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OF THE TIGER (5/5)
YOU'RE GONNA HEAR ME ROAR (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kyle: 14 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Eric: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Lindsay: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kyle found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Kyle had $3,000, Lindsay had $400, and Eric was at $1,000. Kyle wagered $1,000.

THE EYE $1000: Sometimes when we get older, this part of the retina "degenerates" & causes blurriness in our field of vision

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kyle: $5,400
Eric: $1,000
Lindsay: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Eric Dravland is from Lenoir, North Carolina. And let's go back in time. 1972. You were at the Olympics, and you had kind of an unpleasant encounter with His Royal Highness Prince Philip.

Eric: My uncle and I had snuck into the good seats.

Alex: Oh.

Eric: At the track and field finals. And my uncle knew what was going on more than I did. All of a sudden, he's busy taking pictures. I was oblivious, and all of a sudden, I looked up, and there was Prince Philip's face right there, and his elbow right there.

Alex: "Get out of the way, you're in the wrong seat."

Eric: "Get out of the way," and by the time I had my camera up, he was gone.

Alex: Ah. Okay.

Alex: Lindsay Norsworthy is from Linthicum Heights, Maryland. What's this about you once failing a lie detector test?

Lindsay: I was trying to get an internship at a government agency when I was in high school, and I'd passed all the tests, and basically met all the qualifications, and all I had to do was pass that polygraph. And one of the questions said I was lying.

Alex: Which question?

Lindsay: Whether I'd ever committed a major crime.

[Laughter]

Alex: And what was this major crime?

Lindsay: I'm still trying to figure that out.

Alex: You just got nervous and scared.

Lindsay: Yes.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Kyle Becker--he's our champion. He's from Tennessee. High school, went to France and Italy with the Latin club?

Kyle: Yes. My high school Latin club, we would take a trip almost every year, and that year it was start in Paris, end in Rome and hit several things along the way.

Alex: That sounds like a great, great trip. Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NATIONAL DAYS $1000: Because of the label tucked into the character's hat band, National Mad Hatter Day is on this date

YOU'RE GONNA HEAR ME ROAR $800: At the Grammys in 2014, Sara Bareilles sang this song of hers with Carole King; the pair also sang King's "Beautiful"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kyle: $6,400
Eric: $4,800
Lindsay: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALFRED HITCHCOCK RESENTS (0/4)
IT'S HYPHENATED (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FOR IT IS A FACT (4/5)
AUTHORS AT WAR (2/5)
"L" ON THE MAP (3/5)
VICTIM OF GRAVITY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kyle: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Lindsay: 6 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Eric: 4 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 12
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $18,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lindsay snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Kyle had $6,400, Lindsay had $3,400, and Eric was at $4,800. Lindsay wagered $2,000.

IT'S HYPHENATED $800: The Venerable Bede said they were descendants of 3 different Germanic peoples--the Jutes & the 2 in their name

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Eric who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Kyle had $10,400, Lindsay had $4,200, and Eric was at $4,400. Eric wagered $3,000.

VICTIM OF GRAVITY $1600: A 2017 Vogue story said Susan Sarandon's dress had this type of "neckline"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IT'S HYPHENATED $1600: This Scottish soup has 2 hyphens & an onion relative in its name

IT'S HYPHENATED $2000: This instrument has a name that is hyphenated and rhyming

"L" ON THE MAP $1600: This gulf was the site of a naval action also called the Second Battle of the Philippine Sea
(Eric: What is Luzon?)

"L" ON THE MAP $2000: It's Italy's most populous region & a center of both agriculture and industry
(Lindsay: What is Liguria?)

FOR IT IS A FACT $1200: An HP engineer devised the modern delivery system for this, today said to be the world's costliest liquid
(Alex: $70 an ounce in some cases.)

AUTHORS AT WAR $800: The Marquis de Sade served as an officer during this 1756-1763 war
(Lindsay: What is the French and Indian War?)
(Eric: What is the Napoleonic Wars?)

AUTHORS AT WAR $1600: He fought & was wounded in the Spanish Civil War & wrote about it in "Homage to Catalonia"
(Eric: What is Hemingway?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

AUTHORS AT WAR $2000: Having served in Britain's RAF may have helped Arthur Hailey write this bestselling 1968 thriller

ALFRED HITCHCOCK RESENTS $2000: Michael Caine angered Hitch by refusing a killer role in "Frenzy" but slashed away in this director's "Dressed to Kill"

ALFRED HITCHCOCK RESENTS $1600: Hitch planned every detail in advance; asked what work there was for this professional, he said, "None"

ALFRED HITCHCOCK RESENTS $1200: After Vera Miles' pregnancy, Hitch lost interest in her; Kim Novak got the lead in this film instead
(Alex: You guys are obviously not big Alfred Hitchcock fans.)

ALFRED HITCHCOCK RESENTS $800: Hitchcock hated eggs & said this liquid was "jolly" compared with runny yolk
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kyle: $13,200 (lock-tie game)
Lindsay: $6,600
Eric: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
REFERENCE BOOKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock-tie for first place; prisoner's dilemma for second place.
Kyle: Wager $0 to guarantee your return for the next game, or, if you'd rather lose today than face Lindsay and Eric tomorrow, wager $13,200 to maximize your winnings.
Lindsay: Bet $6,600.
Eric: Likewise, wager $6,600. The possibility of a three-way tie exists today!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This manual resulted from a military engineer's attendance at an unruly 1860s church meeting

FINAL SCORES
Eric: $6,600 - $6,600 = $0 (What is the army field manual) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lindsay: $6,600 - $6,600 = $0 (What is the Military Code of Conduct) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kyle: $13,200 + $1 = $13,201 (What is Robert's Rules of order?) (3-day champion: $43,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $20,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kyle: $13,200, 21 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Lindsay: $5,400, 13 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Eric: $5,200, 11 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $23,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Kyle: 22/59 = .373
Lindsay: 13/59 = .220
Eric: 11/59 = .186
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE EYE $600: In surgery for this condition, an artificial lens replaces your own clouded one
(Kyle: What is glaucoma?)
(Lindsay: Oh, I just drew a blank.)

THE EYE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a scan of an eye part on the monitor.) Unlike retinal scans, biometrics using this eye part take 2 seconds and show more than 200 unique characteristics, about 6 times more than fingerprints

OF THE TIGER $800: "Tyger tyger, burning bright, in the forests of the night", begins a poem in his 1794 collection "Songs of Experience"
(Kyle: Who is Burns?)

OF THE TIGER $1000: The largest carnivorous marsupial of modern times was the now-extinct thylacine, also known as this alliterative tiger

YOU'RE GONNA HEAR ME ROAR $200: In a No. 1 hit, she sings, "I got the eye of the tiger... 'cause I am a champion & you're gonna hear me roar"
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

IT'S HYPHENATED $1200: If you need to beat metal, use this tool seen here

FOR IT IS A FACT $800: The year 3031 won't have this Jewish holiday; it'll start Jan. 1, 3032
(Lindsay: What is Yom Kippur?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the macula
October 6th
"Brave"
the Anglo-Saxons
plunging
cock-a-leekie
a hurdy-gurdy
Leyte Gulf
Lombardy
printer ink
the Seven Years' War
George Orwell
Airport
Brian De Palma
the editor
Vertigo
blood
Robert's Rules of Order
cataracts
the iris
(William) Blake
Tasmanian
Katy Perry
a ball-peen hammer
Hanukkah
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
REFERENCE BOOKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This manual resulted from a military engineer’s attendance at an unruly 1860s church meeting

Kyle Becker: 13200+1=13201 (3x = $43,601)
Lindsay Norsworthy: 6600-6600=0
Eric Dravland: 6600-6600=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Robert’s Rules of Order (Lindsay – Military Code of Conduct) (Eric – army field manual)

Daily Doubles
Kyle: 3000+1000
Lindsay: 3400+2000
Eric: 4400+3000

Coryats
Kyle: 13200
Lindsay: 5400
Eric: 5200

Combined: 23,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Kyle: 6400
Lindsay: 3000
Eric: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kyle made it easy to root for him since he knew the show that had the owners of the TV dog, Tiger.

The players were 0/4 in HITCHCOCK RESENTS and time’s up kept them from the possibility of a complete skunk.

The DD wagers went up the ladder 1K, 2K, 3K and in player order starting from the left.

As someone on the board of directors of the church I attend I better have solved that FJ! clue. I’ve attended some meetings with heated discussion while it would never get to the level of unruly.

The challengers interpreted the clue from the military aspect of the wording. Before the night is out I wonder if someone on the J! Board will guess According to Hoyle in picturing an unruly church game night?

The fireworks were lit for an explosive finish and it turned out to be a dud. Both Eric & Lindsay did bet the farm each, but then could not solve the FJ! clue. It did not matter because Kyle not only solved the clue, he also bet the buck.

The dream of a 13200 all tiebreaker? Dashed. The result is Kyle is knocking on a Bronze door.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

As a fan, was sorry to see the Hitchcock category fall so, so flat. :(

After the mention of high school Latin Club in Kyle's interview, we assumed he'd be likely to have had something else like Debate Club, Toastmasters, or Junior Statesmen in his not-too-distant past that would lead him easily to FJ. Whatever the means, he didn't let us down, but we did not anticipate that his would be the sole FJ get.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

With apologies to Eric and Lindsay, those are two of the most unintentionally funny FJ responses in a while. An unruly church meeting would lead to an army field guide or the military code of conduct?? :lol:

It just goes to show that when one's mind starts down the wrong track [and obviously: lights + camera + audience = pressure!], it can end up in some strange places.
alchos
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by alchos »

Lindsay's response to Marquis de Sade question was correct, but they counted her wrong.

She answered the French and Indian War which is what Americans call the 7 years war.

I was surprised that they never credited her with a correct response before showing the final jeopardy clue. They are lucky she got the final jeopardy clue wrong, otherwise, they would probably be bringing her back for another episode.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Annelid" I remembered from the Earthworm Jim cartoon, Tiger = Blake I remember from Calvin & Hobbes, and "I Am Woman" from a previous FJ!

"Brave" was my only miss in the rightmost J! category, the bottom in Gravity and Fact, and the DD in hyphenated.

That Hitchcock category was garbage. I can see why they bombed it.

Lach Trash: cock-a-leekie, hurdy-gurdy, printer ink

NHO the correct FJ! response.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

In spite of knowing better, I allowed myself to get really excited when I noticed the scores going into that Hitchcock category. I was begging them out loud not to ring in, screaming at the TV every time a clue finished w/o the end-of-round sounding. And then it happened! Two challengers with exactly half the leader's score!!!

...and then they both missed FJ. And the champ got it right and bet the dollar anyway. Sonuva bitch. The ti....just look at my signature, I give up.

Instaget FJ.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Unlike our challengers, I got stuck on the "church" part of the clue and didn't get near the correct response. Might have with more time to think about it, but a miss is a miss.

It's nice to know that watching old episodes multiple times obsessively does pay off! That's the only way I got hurdy-gurdy and cock-a-leekie.

'Grats to Kyle for occupying the first ToC tracker slot for the new cycle!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
hscer

Post by hscer »

What a wagering scenario for the leader in the post-co-champion era.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

All the wagerweenies here must have been drooling at the FJ setup. Looking forward to reading some analysis.

Near instaget on the final. My only concern was whether the Rules were part of a larger work.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

hscer wrote: What a wagering scenario for the leader in the post-co-champion era.
xxaaaxx wrote:And then it happened! Two challengers with exactly half the leader's score!!!

...and then they both missed FJ. And the champ got it right and bet the dollar anyway.
It seems he cheated himself out of quite a bit of cash by betting the measly dollar. If he was willing to take that chance, he may as well write down $6599.
Denise511

Post by Denise511 »

Will someone please tell me why the leader going into final jeopardy bet $1 tonight??? It seems to me that he was risking $13200(minus of course what he would have won for 2nd or 3rd place) just to win $1. If he would have wagered $0 he would have guaranteed himself a tie for 1st thus keeping the $13200 and moving onto the next game? Am I missing something? Thanks
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:10 pm
hscer wrote: What a wagering scenario for the leader in the post-co-champion era.
xxaaaxx wrote:And then it happened! Two challengers with exactly half the leader's score!!!

...and then they both missed FJ. And the champ got it right and bet the dollar anyway.
It seems he cheated himself out of quite a bit of cash by betting the measly dollar. If he was willing to take that chance, he may as well write down $6599.
With due respect to the contestants tonight, there have been enough past contestants who haven't bet to cover that I might play it safe just in case as well.
Denise511

Post by Denise511 »

Can two people tie and get their money and move onto next show?
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I did much better today (as did the players).

R: 25 W: 2, costing 2600
FJ! :mrgreen:
Coryat: 17,200

Just missed the LT on the Mad Hatter. I said Oct 4. That useless bit of trivia is probably now forever burned in my memory. My only other miss was joining Eric picking Luzon in the Philippines.

Took me a while to dredge up FJ. Long enough that light pen issues would have arisen. I managed to get it all down in time with pencil and paper, so I'm counting it. Wonder if "Roberts Rules" would suffice?

Kyle's DD find in the J! round could have saved him a bunch of worry at the end of the game. He was doing very well at that point and could have easily risked another $1000. I was telling him to go all in.

It appears we are destined never to find out if the tiebreaker actually exists.

FJ! wagering strategy? Lindsay's and Eric's is pretty simple. Gotta wager it all. That's the only way to have a shot at coming back for the next game. Kyle has the hard choice. Wager zero and take your chances with a tie breaker. Or wager a buck and guarantee an outright win if he's right, but risking a loss if he's wrong. It's probably easier to wager the buck when you've already won two games. Of course, if you're going to wager a buck, why not wager half of your score (less a buck in case one of the other players wagers zero)? To bet anything is to bet on getting the response right, so why hold back?
--Peter
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

As a Knight of Columbus who is a Council Advocate/Parliamentarian, I thoroughly enjoyed this Final. Now if only we could apply these rules a bit more in society.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 pm
Took me a while to dredge up FJ. Long enough that light pen issues would have arisen. I managed to get it all down in time with pencil and paper, so I'm counting it. Wonder if "Roberts Rules" would suffice?
I think that would be allowed. Colloquially, the phrase is often amended to "Robert's Rules" as "Order" is implied.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

badgerfellow wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 pm
I think that would be allowed. Colloquially, the phrase is often amended to "Robert's Rules" as "Order" is implied.
Do we have a second? Discussion?