TD 361 - Squares and Primes (FINAL STANDINGS AVAILABLE)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

TD 361 - Squares and Primes (FINAL STANDINGS AVAILABLE)

Post by SenseiCAY »

Hello, and welcome to TD 361! This is my first time hosting, so thanks in advance for bearing with me. Let the game begin!

This is TD 361. Since 361 is a square number, this quiz is on squares of all varieties. Since 361 is specifically equal to 19 squared, and 19 is prime, this quiz is also on primes of all varieties.

Rules/Notes:

1) Lowest point total wins; your score for each question is equal to the total number of players submitting that same answer.
2) Pay attention to the first sentence in each question - it tells you what is required in your answer.
3) You may use one DROP and take zero points for that question.
4) You may use one SHEEP answer to take the sheep answer for that question.
5) There will be a BONUS of (-4) for anyone who gives correct answers to all 10 questions, utilizing neither their drop nor their sheep options.
6) There are three additional opportunities for bonuses (-3 each). Use questions 11-13 for those.
7) Wrong responses (on Q1-Q10) are the higher of either +10 points or the "sheep" answer +3
8) All answers are due by 10 AM ET on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
9) Only the first submission per person is accepted; submit entries by PM or with this google form

Questions:

1) Letter and answer required. Name one of the city squares pictured below (common name may or may not contain the word “square”).

2) Country name required. Name a country crossed by the Prime Meridian in either Africa or Europe (Note: Antarctica and countries controlling areas of Antarctica will not be counted here, unless the PM also crosses those countries in Africa or Europe. Also note that for this question, I will define a country as any full member of the United Nations).

3) Letter and actor/actress name required. Peter Cullen played the voice of Optimus Prime in the 2007 movie “Transformers.” Name the actor/actress (or voice actor/actress) who played any of these other roles in at least one of the installments of the series (for the purposes of this game, we are considering five installments, released in 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014, and 2017):
  1. Sam Witwicky
  2. Mikaela Banes
  3. Joshua Joyce
  4. Cade Yeager
  5. Bumblebee
  6. Jazz
  7. Ratchet
  8. Megatron
  9. Robert Epps
  10. Sir Edmund Burton
4) Letter and artist required. One of the better-known songs by Huey Lewis and the News was “Hip to be Square.” The author of this game first heard the song as a parody on Sesame Street. In the interest of continuing the streak of TD games with Sesame Street-related questions (now at a whopping 2 in a row), choose a letter and name the ORIGINAL ARTIST(S) (OR BAND) of one of these parody songs performed on Sesame Street (hint: the parody song titles generally vaguely sound like the original song title).
  1. My Triangle
  2. Share it Maybe
  3. Big Bird Doesn’t Fly
  4. C Drives Me Crazy
  5. Furry Happy Monsters
  6. What Makes U Useful
  7. Elmo and the Lavender Moon
  8. A Cookie is a Sometimes Food
  9. El Patito
  10. Hey Food
5) Number and name required. Name a PRIME NUMBER, and the U.S. PRESIDENT associated with that number in the chronological order of U.S. Presidents as of the time of this game (wrong answers in the expected format might include “1, Washington,” since 1 is not a prime number, or “16, Obama,” because Obama was not the 16th U.S. President, nor is 16 a prime number). Non-consecutive terms by the same President are considered as two different entries in the list. Consecutive terms by the same President are considered as a single entry. Enough information to distinguish between people is required when multiple Presidents share the same name; last name alone (or a correct full name) will be accepted when this is not the case.

6) Letter and answer required. The USDA grades beef based on two main criteria – marbling and age of the animal at slaughter. There are eight grades as of 2017, of which the highest quality, as you probably know, is U.S. Prime, mostly marketed to hotels and restaurants. In the picture, twelve cuts of beef are labeled. Pick a letter and name the cut of beef labeled by that letter. An answer bank is provided.

Answer bank for Q6:
  • Bottom Sirloin
  • Brisket
  • Chuck
  • Flank
  • Plate
  • Rib
  • Round
  • Shank
  • Short Loin
  • Sirloin
  • Tenderloin
  • Top Sirloin
For a bonus of -3 points (use question 11) - name any USDA grade of beef other than prime, choice, or select.

7) Letter and number required. A chessboard has lots of squares (64 individual ones, to be exact). Choose a letter (first name) and number (last name) from the lists below to create the name of a World Chess Champion.
  1. Anatoly
  2. Bobby
  3. Boris
  4. Garry
  5. Magnus
  6. Mikhail
  7. Vasily
  8. Veselin
  9. Viswanthan
  10. Vladimir
  1. Anand
  2. Botvinnik
  3. Carlsen
  4. Fischer
  5. Karpov
  6. Kasparov
  7. Kramnik
  8. Smyslov
  9. Spassky
  10. Topalov
8) Number and name required. A lot of you might know that Deion Sanders had the nickname “Prime Time” as a cornerback for the Dallas Cowboys. Of course, he also missed an opportunity by wearing #21, which is decidedly not a prime number. As a result of this missed opportunity, we will make this question about squares instead of primes (cue the crying Michael Jordan meme). Pictured here are ten athletes wearing jersey numbers that are perfect squares. Indicate the name and number of one of them.

As a bonus (-3 points, no penalty for wrong answers on this bonus), abiding by the NFL's current numbering rules for defensive backs, name 3 prime jersey numbers that Deion "Prime Time" Sanders could have worn to better live up to his nickname. Use question 12 for this bonus. You must submit exactly 3 numbers on this one to have a chance at this bonus.

9) Letter and answer required. Speaking of Prime Time, the 69th (nice) Primetime Emmy Award ceremony was held on September 17, 2017. Name the show (a-g) or person (h-k) that won the Emmy in any of these categories. The network airing the show is given as a hint (note that if you select any of h-k, I still want the name of the person, even though the hint is still the network airing the winner's show):
  1. Outstanding Comedy Series (HBO)
  2. Outstanding Drama Series (Hulu)
  3. Outstanding Variety Talk Series (HBO)
  4. Outstanding Variety Sketch Series (NBC)
  5. Outstanding Limited Series (HBO)
  6. Outstanding Television Movie (Netflix)
  7. Outstanding Reality-Competition Program (NBC)
  8. Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series (FX)
  9. Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (HBO)
  10. Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series (NBC)
  11. Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series (Hulu)
For a bonus (up to -3 points), name up to two of this year’s losing nominees for the award that you selected (programs for a-g or people for h-k; network not required). Use question 13 for this. If you correctly name two, you get -3 points. If you attempt to name two, and either is incorrect, then no bonus. If you correctly name one, you get -1 point.

10) Polygon and number required. We had to have one actual math question on this. A square is a regular polygon – a polygon whose sides have equal length, and whose interior angles have equal measure. Give the name of another polygon (other than a square) with up to 12 sides, and the measure, in degrees, of one of its interior angles, if that polygon were a regular polygon. If the measure of the angle is not a whole number of degrees, round it to the nearest tenth of a degree. For this question, polygons are distinguished only by their number of sides (i.e. different names for the same polygon will be considered as the same answer).

11. Bonus (-3 points) - name a USDA grade of beef other than prime, choice, or select.

12. Bonus (-3 points) - 3 prime jersey numbers that Deion "Prime Time" Sanders could have worn in the NFL at his position.

13. Bonus (up to -3 points) - up to 2 losing nominees in the category you picked on #9.
Last edited by SenseiCAY on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 361 - Squares and Primes

Post by SenseiCAY »

Players so far:
Spoiler
Gamawire
wpwells
AFRET CMS
MarkBarrett
nklotz

Peter the Accountant
MattKnowles
ElendilPickle
oduguy22
acthomas

classicroadster
casketromance
floridagator
Tybalteon
clt013

Peachbo
zerobandwidth
merica
psgola
Ironhorse

jbeltz
threearruda
maelinya
ChexMix
joenguyen90

Vintsanity
econgator
AleBelly
Troydozzy
1stlvlthinker

sillymonkey
Woof
9021amyers
twelvefootboy
jsm378
Last edited by SenseiCAY on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:20 am, edited 7 times in total.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

We're up to 15 players, and still a ton of unused answers!

Jump on in!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

This one's a tough one, but still a lot of unused answers. Keep 'em comin' in!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

This one is hard, and I'm sure I'm going to do terribly, but it was a lot of fun!
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:20 pm This one is hard, and I'm sure I'm going to do terribly, but it was a lot of fun!
Indeed - admittedly, some of the questions are playing harder than I expected - rookie TD host pains, I suppose, but hopefully, each question has at least one or two pieces of low-hanging fruit.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

Quick clarification--- Is there a penalty for incorrect guesses for question 11?

(I'm going to get sheep slaughtered on this one, but thanks for putting it together.)
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

This one definitely exercised all of my brain muscles so good job! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Troydozzy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:46 pm Quick clarification--- Is there a penalty for incorrect guesses for question 11?

(I'm going to get sheep slaughtered on this one, but thanks for putting it together.)
No penalties for incorrect answers on bonuses.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Weekend bump- still lots of unused and Singleton answers there.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Just to point out it says it's due Tuesday December 11th but December 11th is today, Monday.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

One more day to get in! Thanks to floridagator - I fixed the OP to say that we're accepting answers until tomorrow morning.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Last call! Thanks to all for playing!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Answers are closed. Thanks to all for playing. I'll post results as I sift through the responses. Final player list (35 total):
  • 1stlvlthinker
  • 9021amyers
  • acthomas
  • AFRET CMS
  • AleBelly
  • casketromance
  • ChexMix
  • classicroadster
  • clt013
  • econgator
  • ElendilPickle
  • floridagator
  • Gamawire
  • Ironhorse
  • jbeltz
  • joenguyen90
  • jsm378
  • maelinya
  • MarkBarrett
  • MattKnowles
  • merica
  • nklotz
  • oduguy22
  • Peachbo
  • Peter the Accountant
  • psgola
  • sillymonkey
  • threearruda
  • Troydozzy
  • twelvefootboy
  • Tybalteon
  • Vintsanity
  • Woof
  • wpwells
  • zerobandwidth
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

The nice thing about having an alphabetically-last user name is that my position can only improve from here! ;)
Good luck everyone!
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 361 - Squares and Primes (Q1-Q2 Results)

Post by SenseiCAY »

Here we go with results from TD 361. Thanks to all who played. Please direct all complaints to /dev/null (but seriously, this was my first one - post a reply or shoot me a PM if you have feedback - I enjoyed this and wouldn't mind doing a few more)

1) Letter and answer required. Name one of the city squares pictured below (common name may or may not contain the word “square”).

SHEEP
(None)

A - Tiananmen Square (SHEEP) - 9
threearruda
Peter the Accountant
AFRET CMS
merica
Ironhorse
MattKnowles
econgator
ChexMix
sillymonkey

B - St. Peter's Square - 6
Vintsanity
ElendilPickle
floridagator
nklotz
acthomas
psgola

E - Tahrir Square - 5
wpwells
Tybalteon
zerobandwidth
Peachbo
9021amyers

D - Red Square - 5
joenguyen90
casketromance
gamawire
oduguy22
MarkBarrett

C - Piccadilly Circus - 4
Woof
Troydozzy
maelinya
jbeltz

H - Times Square - 4
1stlvlthinker
AleBelly
jsm378
twelvefootboy

SINGLETONS:
G - Piazza San Marco (Venice, Italy; Also accepted: St. Mark's Square)
classicroadster

I - Trafalgar Square (London, UK)
clt013

Not used:
F - Place de la Concorde (Paris, France)

DROP
(None)

WRONG
(None)

Notes: I figured either A or H would be the sheep answer, and alas, 9 of you came up with Tiananmen Square from that iconic photo. I almost counted a few of these wrong, but after checking my wording, I suppose I could have been more clear - I wanted the name of the square (e.g. Red Square) rather than the name of the city (e.g. Moscow). I thought I was pretty clear on the rest of these questions, but for some reason, I didn't clearly specify here, so I allowed both Moscow and Vatican City for Red Square and St. Peter's Square, respectively :oops:

-----------------

2) Country name required. Name a country crossed by the Prime Meridian in either Africa or Europe (Note: Antarctica and countries controlling areas of Antarctica will not be counted here, unless the PM also crosses those countries in Africa or Europe. Also note that for this question, I will define a country as any full member of the United Nations).

SHEEP
(None)

Spain (SHEEP) - 7
Vintsanity
MarkBarrett
acthomas
jsm378
AleBelly
clt013
maelinya

Mali - 6
Tybalteon
Peachbo
casketromance
jbeltz
classicroadster
9021amyers

United Kingdom - 6
1stlvlthinker
ElendilPickle
Peter the Accountant
wpwells
MattKnowles
merica

France - 3
AFRET CMS
nklotz
twelvefootboy

Algeria - 2
threearruda
oduguy22

Ghana - 2
sillymonkey
gamawire

SINGLETON - Togo
floridagator

Not used:
Burkina Faso

DROP
(None)

WRONG - 8 (+10):
Woof (Niger)
Troydozzy (Portugal)
econgator (England - not accepted for UK)
joenguyen90 (England)
ChexMix (South Africa)
Ironhorse (Niger)
psgola (England)
zerobandwidth (Morocco)

Notes: the Wikipedia page listing full members of the UN gives "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" as the name of the country that some of you were thinking of for this one. On the Wikipedia page for this country, it says that it is commonly known as the United Kingdom (or UK), and colloquially as Great Britain, so those are all accepted. Regrettably, I did not accept England, as that is one of four countries making up the UK, and is not, on its own, a full member of the UN.

The above decision is subject to amendment if people think that I'm wrong in any particular direction (or just being too much of a hardass).

-----------------

Scores after Q2:
  1. classicroadster - 7
  2. floridagator - 7
  3. gamawire - 7
  4. oduguy22 - 7
  5. twelvefootboy - 7
  6. clt013 - 8
  7. nklotz - 9
  8. 1stlvlthinker - 10
  9. jbeltz - 10
  10. 9021amyers - 11
  11. AleBelly - 11
  12. Peachbo - 11
  13. Tybalteon - 11
  14. casketromance - 11
  15. jsm378 - 11
  16. maelinya - 11
  17. sillymonkey - 11
  18. threearruda - 11
  19. wpwells - 11
  20. AFRET CMS - 12
  21. ElendilPickle - 12
  22. MarkBarrett - 12
  23. Vintsanity - 13
  24. acthomas - 13
  25. Troydozzy - 14
  26. Woof - 14
  27. MattKnowles - 15
  28. Peter the Accountant - 15
  29. joenguyen90 - 15
  30. merica - 15
  31. zerobandwidth - 15
  32. psgola - 16
  33. ChexMix - 19
  34. Ironhorse - 19
  35. econgator - 19
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: TD 361 - Squares and Primes (Q1-Q2 RESULTS)

Post by Woof »

Bah! 11 miles off. I wasn't sure which side of the Burkina Faso/Niger border it fell, but as usual my Kosman Koin came up wrong.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 361 - Squares and Primes (Q3-Q4 RESULTS)

Post by SenseiCAY »

3) Letter and actor/actress name required. Peter Cullen played the voice of Optimus Prime in the 2007 movie “Transformers.” Name the actor/actress (or voice actor/actress) who played any of these other roles in at least one of the installments of the series (for the purposes of this game, we are considering five installments, released in 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014, and 2017):
  1. Sam Witwicky
  2. Mikaela Banes
  3. Joshua Joyce
  4. Cade Yeager
  5. Bumblebee
  6. Jazz
  7. Ratchet
  8. Megatron
  9. Robert Epps
  10. Sir Edmund Burton
SHEEP - 10 (+7)
Peachbo
twelvefootboy
AleBelly
Ironhorse
psgola
merica
Troydozzy
Peter the Accountant
sillymonkey
clt013

A - Shia LeBeouf (SHEEP) - 7
ElendilPickle
MattKnowles
wpwells
joenguyen90
oduguy22
classicroadster
zerobandwidth

B - Megan Fox - 4
Woof
Tybalteon
nklotz
gamawire

H - Hugo Weaving - 2
1stlvlthinker
ChexMix

I - Tyrese Gibson - 2
floridagator
jsm378

UNUSED
c. Joshua Joyce - Stanley Tucci
d. Cade Yeager - Mark Wahlberg
e. Bumblebee - Mark Ryan
f. Jazz - Darius McCrary
g. Ratchet - Robert Foxworth
j. Sir Edmund Burton - Anthony Hopkins

DROP - 9
econgator
Vintsanity
casketromance
maelinya
AFRET CMS
threearruda
MarkBarrett
acthomas
9021amyers

WRONG - 1 (+10)
jbeltz (G. Hugo Weaving...doh!)

Notes: Yeah, this one was rough - more than half of the group (19/35) used either their drop or their sheep on this one. My bad - growing pains, I guess, perhaps made worse by the fact that I, myself, have not seen the last three of the movies. By the time I realized how hard it was playing, it was too late to go back, but a few people did come up with people other than Shia LaBeouf or Megan Fox.

-----------------

4) Letter and artist required. One of the better-known songs by Huey Lewis and the News was “Hip to be Square.” The author of this game first heard the song as a parody on Sesame Street. In the interest of continuing the streak of TD games with Sesame Street-related questions (now at a whopping 2 in a row), choose a letter and name the ORIGINAL ARTIST(S) (OR BAND) of one of these parody songs performed on Sesame Street (hint: the parody song titles generally vaguely sound like the original song title).
  1. My Triangle
  2. Share it Maybe
  3. Big Bird Doesn’t Fly
  4. C Drives Me Crazy
  5. Furry Happy Monsters
  6. What Makes U Useful
  7. Elmo and the Lavender Moon
  8. A Cookie is a Sometimes Food
  9. El Patito
  10. Hey Food
SHEEP
(None)

J - The Beatles (Hey Jude) - 9
Peter the Accountant
AFRET CMS
casketromance
psgola
twelvefootboy
wpwells
MattKnowles
ChexMix
1stlvlthinker

B - Carly Rae Jepsen (Call Me Maybe) - 7
gamawire
nklotz
jsm378
threearruda
Ironhorse
Vintsanity
oduguy22

D - Fine Young Cannibals (She Drives Me Crazy) - 7
Woof
Peachbo
joenguyen90
MarkBarrett
classicroadster
acthomas
merica

E - REM (Shiny Happy People) - 5
ElendilPickle
clt013
AleBelly
zerobandwidth
9021amyers

G - Los Lobos (Kiko and the Lavender Moon) - 2
Troydozzy
floridagator

SINGLETONS
C - Fergie (Big Girls Don't Cry)
Tybalteon

I - Luis Fonsi (Despacito)
jbeltz

Not used:
A. James Blunt (You're Beautiful)
F. One Direction (What Makes You Beautiful)
H. George Gershwin (A Woman is a Sometime Thing)

DROP - 1
sillymonkey

WRONG - 2 (+12)
econgator (J. Hey Jude - looking for artist, not title)
maelinya (D. Britney Spears)

Notes: I was playtesting this after dinner with some of my friends, and we got to this one and ended up watching a good number of these on Youtube. Our favorite was El Patito, but also good was the fact that "C Drives Me Crazy" was sung by the "Fine Young Camels."

-----------------

Scores after Q4:
  1. floridagator - 11
  2. 9021amyers - 16
  3. Tybalteon - 16
  4. gamawire - 18
  5. sillymonkey - 18
  6. threearruda - 18
  7. MarkBarrett - 19
  8. Vintsanity - 20
  9. acthomas - 20
  10. casketromance - 20
  11. clt013 - 20
  12. jsm378 - 20
  13. nklotz - 20
  14. 1stlvlthinker - 21
  15. AFRET CMS - 21
  16. classicroadster - 21
  17. jbeltz - 21
  18. oduguy22 - 21
  19. AleBelly - 23
  20. Troydozzy - 23
  21. maelinya - 23
  22. twelvefootboy - 23
  23. ElendilPickle - 24
  24. Peachbo - 25
  25. Woof - 25
  26. wpwells - 27
  27. zerobandwidth - 27
  28. joenguyen90 - 29
  29. merica - 29
  30. ChexMix - 30
  31. MattKnowles - 31
  32. Peter the Accountant - 31
  33. econgator - 31
  34. psgola - 32
  35. Ironhorse - 33
Last edited by SenseiCAY on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: TD 361 - Squares and Primes (Q1-Q4 RESULTS AVAILABLE)

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bad news for those with Fine Young Cannibals as I had that too to make it worth 8 points instead of 7. Bad news for the host as well to adjust the standings.
acthomas

Re: TD 361 - Squares and Primes (Q1-Q4 RESULTS AVAILABLE)

Post by acthomas »

My response is missing from #4. I wish it were about me bragging but I'm pretty sure I had "C Drives Me Crazy" to get me 8 points.