Wednesday, December 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hscer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hscer »

badgerfellow wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 pm
Took me a while to dredge up FJ. Long enough that light pen issues would have arisen. I managed to get it all down in time with pencil and paper, so I'm counting it. Wonder if "Roberts Rules" would suffice?
I think that would be allowed. Colloquially, the phrase is often amended to "Robert's Rules" as "Order" is implied.
It's true. Bob's Guidelines for Disorder (or Whatever) wouldn't have quite the same gravitas.
acthomas wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:21 pm
Category 13 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:10 pm It seems he cheated himself out of quite a bit of cash by betting the measly dollar. If he was willing to take that chance, he may as well write down $6599.
With due respect to the contestants tonight, there have been enough past contestants who haven't bet to cover that I might play it safe just in case as well.
But both of them?
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

I'm on TPH's bandwagon with this final. Never heard of Robert's Rules of Order.

I ran one of the categories but now it's been an hour and I forgot what it was. Rightmost column. Sigh... Age, brain injury, alcohol, and dealing with young children. A perplexing combination.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

Denise511 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:27 pm Can two people tie and get their money and move onto next show?
The rule that tied winners are co-champions was recently changed. Now, there is a tiebreaker question to determine the sole champion (who will keep the winnings). See https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/features ... -scenarios. This tiebreaker has yet to be used in regular play.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Denise511 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:16 pm Will someone please tell me why the leader going into final jeopardy bet $1 tonight??? It seems to me that he was risking $13200(minus of course what he would have won for 2nd or 3rd place) just to win $1. If he would have wagered $0 he would have guaranteed himself a tie for 1st thus keeping the $13200 and moving onto the next game? Am I missing something? Thanks
Yes, you missed where J! changed the rules and now in event of a tie, there will be a tie-breaker question. No more co-champions.

Instaget FJ. Saw "church gathering" and didn't focus on military at all, unlike the contestants. Much better performance from the champion as opposed to the previous night.

(edit: ninjaed!)
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:56 pm
Took me a while to dredge up FJ. Long enough that light pen issues would have arisen. I managed to get it all down in time with pencil and paper, so I'm counting it. Wonder if "Roberts Rules" would suffice?
I think that would be allowed. Colloquially, the phrase is often amended to "Robert's Rules" as "Order" is implied.
Do we have a second? Discussion?
I move the previous question.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:02 pmI ran one of the categories but now it's been an hour and I forgot what it was. Rightmost column. Sigh... Age, brain injury, alcohol, and dealing with young children. A perplexing combination.
Are you a walking thesaurus opened to the entry for "fall", or do you hear female power ballads as your favorite earworms?

I only know this because I use pencil and paper while watching the games. That's how I deal with my age, brain injury, and past dealings with my child. (Teetotaler here, so can't blame the alcohol. :( )
--Peter
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 pm
zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:02 pmI ran one of the categories but now it's been an hour and I forgot what it was. Rightmost column. Sigh... Age, brain injury, alcohol, and dealing with young children. A perplexing combination.
Are you a walking thesaurus opened to the entry for "fall", or do you hear female power ballads as your favorite earworms?

I only know this because I use pencil and paper while watching the games. That's how I deal with my age, brain injury, and past dealings with my child. (Teetotaler here, so can't blame the alcohol. :( )
Yep, the falling words category. Thanks. :oops:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

acthomas wrote:
Category 13 wrote: It seems he cheated himself out of quite a bit of cash by betting the measly dollar. If he was willing to take that chance, he may as well write down $6599.
With due respect to the contestants tonight, there have been enough past contestants who haven't bet to cover that I might play it safe just in case as well.
In the interest of playing it safe, I'm quite sure betting anything from $5 to $95 would do no harm. But if you really, really despise the category, go ahead and bet $1. But it's probably a good idea to wager zero anyway, if that's the case.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Shouldn't "Mad Hatter Day" be June 10th, since he's a British character and the British write dates as Day/Month?

Lach Trash: Ink (WECIB for HP). Ran "Victim of Gravity."

For FJ, I opted for "The Gun-Handler's Manual," not knowing if that was a real thing but taking a wild guess that unruly + military + 1860s America was cluing that in. At least the right answer wasn't something I knew.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:56 pm
Do we have a second? Discussion?
Wikipedia says "commonly referred to as... Robert's Rules" That's a pretty solid argument in favor.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alchos wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:35 pm She answered the French and Indian War which is what Americans call the 7 years war.
The French and Indian War went from 1754 to 1763. Those were not the dates mentioned in the clue.

I've certainly heard of Robert's Rules, but would never have come up with it. I said the Book of Common Prayer just to say something.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

FJ was an instaget.

I just recently learned what a hurdy gurdy looked like and it came in handy tonight.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 pm Kyle's DD find in the J! round could have saved him a bunch of worry at the end of the game. He was doing very well at that point and could have easily risked another $1000. I was telling him to go all in.
You either wager it all or $5 here. And considering it was a bottom row clue, you should probably feel very comfortable with the category to go TDD.
FJ! wagering strategy? Lindsay's and Eric's is pretty simple. Gotta wager it all. That's the only way to have a shot at coming back for the next game. Kyle has the hard choice. Wager zero and take your chances with a tie breaker. Or wager a buck and guarantee an outright win if he's right, but risking a loss if he's wrong. It's probably easier to wager the buck when you've already won two games. Of course, if you're going to wager a buck, why not wager half of your score (less a buck in case one of the other players wagers zero)? To bet anything is to bet on getting the response right, so why hold back?
You either wager $0 or $1, as I've already stated, you do not base your wager on other contestants making a rational wager. No second level thinking without multiple precedents. Somebody checked the archive not long ago and found that contestants with exactly half the leaders score don't wager it all an astounding percentage of the time.

Whether you wager $0 or $1 has absolutely nothing to do with how many games you've won.

Numbers were crunched here some time back and there is very little difference in equity between wagering $0 and $1 category dependent of course.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I not only instagot final, I could have come up with the name Henry Martyn Robert if that's what they wanted.

Tiger?! What kind of name is that for a dog?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Golf wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:27 pmWhether you wager $0 or $1 has absolutely nothing to do with how many games you've won.
Of course not. At least not statistically. And as you point out, the difference between wagering zero and 1 is a statistical toss up. So it comes down to other factors, such as the player's feelings at that point in time. The psychology of the game.
--Peter
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:54 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:27 pmWhether you wager $0 or $1 has absolutely nothing to do with how many games you've won.
Of course not. At least not statistically. And as you point out, the difference between wagering zero and 1 is a statistical toss up. So it comes down to other factors, such as the player's feelings at that point in time. The psychology of the game.
It's usually better to wager $1. Clues that are a triple get or a triple stumper are relatively more common than clues with a split solve. If you bet the $1 you only lose if you miss and they hit which actually has less than 25% probability. If you wager $0 then there is about a 50% chance that your opponent hits and it goes to a tiebreaker which gives you another 50% chance and your overall chance of losing is about 25%. If you don't like the category then bet $0 otherwise go ahead and bet $1.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:50 pm Kyle made it easy to root for him since he knew the show that had the owners of the TV dog, Tiger.
There was a nice tease-out for that clue. I never watched the show and didn't know they owned a dog but got the clue from the "Here's a story..." opening of the clue.
econgator wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:17 pm
alchos wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:35 pm She answered the French and Indian War which is what Americans call the 7 years war.
The French and Indian War went from 1754 to 1763. Those were not the dates mentioned in the clue.
The clue was also talking about the Marquis De Sade fighting in the war. The Seven Years War applies to the global conflict and the French and Indian War only applies to the North American theater. I don't think the Marquis was ever in North America.

I got George Orwell from "Homage to Catalonia." That's a good book I'll recommend it.

I missed Final Jeopardy and I'm not sure if I've ever heard of that. The military engineer part of the clue seems like a red herring, how did that help anybody solve it? I got 38 right which is a really good game for me.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

40 R
FJ: :(
LT: October 6, Brave, Leyte Gulf, Lombardy, Seven Years War, George Orwell
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:15 pm I missed Final Jeopardy and I'm not sure if I've ever heard of that. The military engineer part of the clue seems like a red herring, how did that help anybody solve it? I got 38 right which is a really good game for me.
Engineer was a red herring, but not military. And meeting was the other important half. How would a military man fix a chaotic meeting? Military life is strictly ordered. They'd introduce strict order. Ergo, Rules of Order. Then YEKODK 'Robert's' but half the battle is knowing the thing in the first place.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BKavett
Contributor

Post by BKavett »

At the risk of taking cues from TPH, I’ve never heard of that Final. I still have no idea what it is or how you’re supposed to know that.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BKavett wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:29 am At the risk of taking cues from TPH, I’ve never heard of that Final. I still have no idea what it is or how you’re supposed to know that.
I know I picked it up in tandem with news articles regarding Congressional procedure. Probably relating to how the filibuster was used, but don't hold me to that.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 pm Shouldn't "Mad Hatter Day" be June 10th, since he's a British character and the British write dates as Day/Month?
Beat me to it. :)

Must be an American holiday based on a British character and work, I guess. Wouldn't have known it, anyway.