Wednesday, December 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, December 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alan tiger »

i ran the "tiger" category. surprise, surprise.

having practiced law for nearly four decades, and having acted as parliamentarian too many times in too many different instances to mention, final jeopardy was an instaget, even if i didn't know that henry robert was a general and head of the engineering corps.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've heard of Robert's Rules of Order before, but I think I even heard its origin story in a podcast this year (I think it was an episode of "Every Little Thing" about the Senate parliamentarian).

I'd have been strongly tempted to go $13,199 from Kyle's position.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:50 pm As someone on the board of directors of the church I attend I better have solved that FJ! clue. I’ve attended some meetings with heated discussion while it would never get to the level of unruly.
As a Toastmaster, I got it instantly as well. (We use Roberts Rules of order when the executive (which I usually serve on) meets or needs to bring items to the club for approval. Yes, we even use Roberts Rules in clubs in Canada and other countries whose national legislatures use something other than Roberts, possibly because Toastmasters started in Southern California (the first Toastmasters club isn't far from Culver City and is something I plan on visiting when I get The Call), possibly because of the superiority of Roberts to other system (as I also know of several other non-Toastmaster Canadians who use Roberts as well.)) The fact that the clue appeared on a Wednesday (my Toastmasters meeting night) didn't hurt things either.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:30 pm NHO the correct FJ! response.
Normally I'd do my usual scoffing, but today, for once, it seems you're on to something. It looks like about 50% of boardies so far said they missed it, and I predict that will roughly be the get rate in Marks' poll, if not lower. And be the toughest of the 3 FJs so far.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget for me and a little surprised it is playing so hard here and that several people have never heard of it. But I've been on the other end of the stick plenty of times.

I'm betting $1 from the lead every single time in this situation. I see the strategy in betting more, but you run the risk of one of the others betting less than everything.

Usually I hate it when Alex rambles after the time warning, but I loved his clock burning jibber-jabber in the last category. It gave us a chance for a crazy ending, even though it didn't happen.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I got hurdy-gurdy thanks to Arcade Fire (I'd heard of the thing before then, but I didn't know what it looked like until that song) and cock-a-leekie thanks to Jeeves and Wooster.

FJ was less a WECIB than an IINTISINHO (If It's Not That, It's Something I've Never Heard Of). I vacillated between adding "of Order" or not, worried I might have misremembered the full title, but in the end, I gave the whole thing. Glad to know the shortened version probably would have been accepted.

I had to explain the loss of co-champions IRL to a couple people who thought Kyle's wager was bad.
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I got the 4 Hitchcock questions correct...big fan of his films and I own several on DVD. Also got Final Jeopardy, but I had to think about it for a few seconds.

I got really excited during the Hitchcock category with the scores at 13200-6600-6600...wondering what would happen if the scores stayed that way heading into FJ...and I got my wish.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 pm Shouldn't "Mad Hatter Day" be June 10th, since he's a British character and the British write dates as Day/Month?
Ah, but he's mad, you see.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This plaque sits in front of a house around the corner from my office. A very Washington thing (there are loads of these little plaques around here commemorating one historical event or another). Combined with having led meetings before, this was an instaget.

Roberts.jpg
Roberts.jpg (339.89 KiB) Viewed 4399 times
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

For FJ I knew immediately what the clue was going for, but could only get as far as "Rules of Order." I couldn't remember Robert. I'm pretty confident that wouldn't have passed muster.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 am For FJ I knew immediately what the clue was going for, but could only get as far as "Rules of Order." I couldn't remember Robert. I'm pretty confident that wouldn't have passed muster.
Same. Kept rolling “rules of order, rules of order, rules of order” around, but couldn’t pull the blighter’s blasted name in under thirty.
I would prefer not to.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:09 pm With apologies to Eric and Lindsay, those are two of the most unintentionally funny FJ responses in a while. An unruly church meeting would lead to an army field guide or the military code of conduct?? :lol:

It just goes to show that when one's mind starts down the wrong track [and obviously: lights + camera + audience = pressure!], it can end up in some strange places.
Same thought I had: if you bite on the "military" part of the clue, you'll go down the wrong road and perhaps never come back in time. I never heard this particular factoid before but "Unruly meeting" quickly led to Roberts.

I was also anticipating a 3-way tie. I wonder how many folks in the champ's position would bet the buck instead of standing pat. I'd hate to make that bet, neg, and lose by $1. Perhaps it would depend on how you like the FJ category, and how you felt about the prospects of a tiebreaker in some unknown category.

In the "lid" cat. I actually precalled annelid and was both pleased to see it come up and impressed to see Dr. Eric get it.

I thought the French and Indian War WAS the Seven Years' War. Anyone else?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:15 pm
I got George Orwell from "Homage to Catalonia." That's a good book I'll recommend it.

I missed Final Jeopardy and I'm not sure if I've ever heard of that. The military engineer part of the clue seems like a red herring, how did that help anybody solve it? I got 38 right which is a really good game for me.
I got Eric Arthur Blair :mrgreen: from the photo alone, but Homage to Catalonia would have given it to me anyway. And I second the recommendation: a fascinating and underappreciated story of the short-lived Republic of Catalonia. I've long held the belief that Orwell's non-fiction is actually better writing than his fiction, though I enjoy both. Instaget FJ for me. It just seemed right.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

John Boy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:09 pm With apologies to Eric and Lindsay, those are two of the most unintentionally funny FJ responses in a while. An unruly church meeting would lead to an army field guide or the military code of conduct?? :lol:

It just goes to show that when one's mind starts down the wrong track [and obviously: lights + camera + audience = pressure!], it can end up in some strange places.
Same thought I had: if you bite on the "military" part of the clue, you'll go down the wrong road and perhaps never come back in time. I never heard this particular factoid before but "Unruly meeting" quickly led to Roberts.

I was also anticipating a 3-way tie. I wonder how many folks in the champ's position would bet the buck instead of standing pat. I'd hate to make that bet, neg, and lose by $1. Perhaps it would depend on how you like the FJ category, and how you felt about the prospects of a tiebreaker in some unknown category.

In the "lid" cat. I actually precalled annelid and was both pleased to see it come up and impressed to see Dr. Eric get it.

I'm really surprised by how many people haven't heard of Roberts Rules of Order. Then again, I was part of Model United Nations teams in high school and college and we basically had to memorize it. I guess I just thought it was more commonly used but on reflection, I don't think I've ever seen it come up since those Model UN days.

And after commenting yesterday about some players' lack of history knowledge, I have to admit that if I've ever heard of the Seven Years War, I don't remember a thing about it. :oops:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:13 am
John Boy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 am

I'm really surprised by how many people haven't heard of Roberts Rules of Order. Then again, I was part of Model United Nations teams in high school and college and we basically had to memorize it. I guess I just thought it was more commonly used but on reflection, I don't think I've ever seen it come up since those Model UN days.
Right, I think it's probably one of those things that if you've had occasion to be involved in an organization with formal meetings you're very likely to have heard of it. Just like journalists and writers are going to know about Strunk & White. Otherwise both of these fall into the pure trivia realm.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have never had occasion to use or read Robert’s. It is just something I have heard of. I will say I would have guessed it was written by someone from England rather than America. Coming up with formal rules for meetings just sounds like it would be.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 pm
FJ! wagering strategy? Lindsay's and Eric's is pretty simple. Gotta wager it all. That's the only way to have a shot at coming back for the next game. Kyle has the hard choice. Wager zero and take your chances with a tie breaker. Or wager a buck and guarantee an outright win if he's right, but risking a loss if he's wrong. It's probably easier to wager the buck when you've already won two games. Of course, if you're going to wager a buck, why not wager half of your score (less a buck in case one of the other players wagers zero)? To bet anything is to bet on getting the response right, so why hold back?
There's always a chance one of the trailing players might look at the category and say, "hopeless category, I'm going to wager zero and play for the extra thousand second-place dollars."

Personally, if I'm in Kyle's situation, 99.9% of the time I'm going to wager exactly as he did. I'd much rather take my chance at being right than hoping another player is going to be wrong. But I'm also not going to assume both other players will go all in. There's a non-zero chance one of them might have bet "everything but a dollar" and gotten the right answer.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This object sitting on my desk helps explain why this FJ was an instaget (from my long-ago HS days):

Sen Gefen.jpg
Sen Gefen.jpg (56.25 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Whenever I think of Robert's rules of order, I think if this scene from The Wire. Warning : foul language and casual discussion of murder! Do not watch if these disturb you!
Spoiler
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:52 pm Whenever I think of Robert's rules of order, I think if this scene from The Wire. Warning : foul language and casual discussion of murder! Do not watch if these disturb you!
Spoiler
Congress would be a lot more fun to watch if "The chair ain't recognize yo' ass" was actually in the book. :)
alchos
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by alchos »

econgator wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:17 pm
alchos wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:35 pm She answered the French and Indian War which is what Americans call the 7 years war.
The French and Indian War went from 1754 to 1763. Those were not the dates mentioned in the clue.
Yes, the French and Indian War started in 1754, but that is what Americans call the Seven Years War because the Seven Years War was apart of the French and Indian War. Also, I will point out in Canada they refer to the French and Indian War as the Seven Years War which is technically nine years.