Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo »

SBurrus wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:13 am I made it 8 losses in my last 9 matches on MD15, losing 2(3)-7(5), and sinking to 18th in the rundle. Will take an extended losing streak to drop any lower, as I have a 3-point lead on 19th place and a 7-point lead over the last place person in our division...but I'll need to turn things around to avoid relegation now. Sadly, I have the highest correct answer percentage I've ever recorded in LL but it is not enough in this D grouping. Appears I am headed back to E for LL76.
Well, at least you’re having fun, right? ;)

Oddly, I was assigned 3 points for canola oil, but hey, I'll take it!

And Brisbane didn't even make it on my scratch pad of Australian state capitals, so I don't feel too bad about missing that one
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I owe jkbrat a beer if I ever meet her because her board avatar helped contribute to mine yesterday.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

When I saw yesterday’s answers, I realized I had done a bad job of assigning points. I said to myself, man, I kinda hope PrussC just got them all right, so I can keep my high DE.

Lucky(?) for me, she obliged. Congrats!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 am And Brisbane didn't even make it on my scratch pad of Australian state capitals, so I don't feel too bad about missing that one
Thankfully, my brother has run the Gold Coast Marathon, so that made it much easier for me.

This time in B Pac looks almost the same as my last time in B. I'm on track to have my second best TCA (95 vs 97, my last time in B), by FAR my best DE (.837 vs .770, my last time in B), and sadly, my record CAA of 108. So far, only in 3 matches have I had 3 or fewer correct against me and one of those was a forfeit.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Vermonter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 am When I saw yesterday’s answers, I realized I had done a bad job of assigning points. I said to myself, man, I kinda hope PrussC just got them all right, so I can keep my high DE.

Don't worry - I grabbed a screen capture of Cyndi in first place in AMag. Yay!

I don't want to jinx anything, but do we call 4 6-packs in a row a case, or a two-four?
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

boson wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 am
Vermonter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 am When I saw yesterday’s answers, I realized I had done a bad job of assigning points. I said to myself, man, I kinda hope PrussC just got them all right, so I can keep my high DE.

I don't want to jinx anything, but do we call 4 6-packs in a row a case, or a two-four?
"tailgate party" :wink:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

boson wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 am I don't want to jinx anything, but do we call 4 6-packs in a row a case, or a two-four?
Depends on which side of the 49th you reside on.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:45 am
boson wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 am

"tailgate party" :wink:
Dilly dilly!
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 am
SBurrus wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:13 am I made it 8 losses in my last 9 matches on MD15, losing 2(3)-7(5), and sinking to 18th in the rundle. Will take an extended losing streak to drop any lower, as I have a 3-point lead on 19th place and a 7-point lead over the last place person in our division...but I'll need to turn things around to avoid relegation now. Sadly, I have the highest correct answer percentage I've ever recorded in LL but it is not enough in this D grouping. Appears I am headed back to E for LL76.
Well, at least you’re having fun, right? ;)

Oddly, I was assigned 3 points for canola oil, but hey, I'll take it!

And Brisbane didn't even make it on my scratch pad of Australian state capitals, so I don't feel too bad about missing that one
Yeah, well, that's because I thought canola oil came from corn, and the actual answer was much more obscure. Congrats on the victory, and on your first place position.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

Had a complete brain fart and forgot to submit. A forfeit in A put me solidly in last place in the Rundle. I'm almost...happy?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

AleBelly wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 am Oddly, I was assigned 3 points for canola oil, but hey, I'll take it!
Yeah, well, that's because I thought canola oil came from corn, and the actual answer was much more obscure. Congrats on the victory, and on your first place position.
hey! Nice playing you! I've been pretty lucky this season, but first place doesn't mean anything at MD15
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Trying to bring myself some good luck early this morning before looking at the results I put on my Perry the Platypus shirt. It did not work. One person in my group had a 9(6) and of course it had to be my opponent.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I can now say I've beaten someone who has beaten the all-time leader in game show winnings.
Usually this time of the season is the hardest for me, but not this season. I'm one point out of the promotion zone! Maybe Thorsten is saving the obscure, toughest questions for last.
Hoping for a third lap
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

Thank you, I was pleasantly surprised to see that three guesses were actually right (and you were spot on with your points assignment, too). I don't think I will be sitting atop A Magnolia for very long. :-)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Gotta be Lesotho, right? that's the furthest South entire country in Africa. Nah, not far enough south. Better choose a Pacific island country. Puts down Nauru.

**Submit.**

Head, meet counter, thump thump thump.

Later, I remember:

LANDLOCKED COUNTRIES: South of the Tropic of Capricorn, this kingdom is the world's southernmost landlocked country

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5826

It was 2 darn weeks ago! Thump thump thump thump...

---

Also,
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:37 pm Not exactly current events, but worth knowing IMO. Let's play it like Final Jeopardy:

In anticipation of an exhibit of this artist at the Museum of Modern Art, ballet dancer Misty Copeland recreated a number of his works for Harper's Bazaar magazine

30 seconds players, good luck.

Correct response here.
Make sure to never review the current event threads, especially your own posts in them.

One last, thump.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Myron, you also participate in the Only Connect Questions group on Facebook. Three or four weeks ago, I did an R1 with the four countries that were entirely south of the Tropic of Capricorn.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've just discovered I lead my rundle in defensive efficiency, with an average of .884. I've given up five unforced points total (and three of those were in the first match). This can't last long now that I've noticed it.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I finally stepped back into the winner's circle on MD16, with a 3(3)-1(1) victory, only my second win in the last 10 matches.

I was shocked that only 39% of players knew the beans question from The Jeffersons; in my rundle, only 5 of us got it. Maybe it was just one of those questions where age was an advantage; we never missed watching the show in my home growing up, despite its many, many time slot changes during its network run...and it had one of the best known theme songs in TV history. I guess younger players don't know much about The Jeffersons or classic television.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

(MD16) :( :( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 2(2)-6(4) L :arrow: 8-7-1 (11th/22)

Picked up three MCWAs on this day.

I must have belted out the chorus and "FISH don't FRY in the kitCHENNNN" in my basement about fifty times, trying to kickstart my brain into remembering the next word. Never got to "beans", WAGed "steaks" along with another 14% of the league.

"Isn't New Zealand south of the Tropic? No, I think the north island stretches too far north. Oh, duh, South Africa. Surely that's right." :evil: Joined the sheep on that one.

Screwtape (from, duh, The Screwtape Letters) was a head-smacker; I remembered the name as soon as it came up. Instead I fixated on finding a well-known demon with a silly name, partly because I was also derpy enough to read "C. S. Lewis" as "Lewis Carroll". Sigh.

On Q5 anyone like me who had never heard the term "stannic" and always wondered why tin's chemical symbol is Sn learned something yesterday.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest