Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by zerobandwidth »

OSXpert wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:53 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:13 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:07 am Not recalling your nom de Llam', I can't check if "scull" was accepted or not, but I'm guessing that it was, and that the commissioner didn't want to penalize people who figured out "scull," thought the question compelled a suffix, and chose the wrong one.
Why do you say that? If it's the counterpart to "sweep" it seems like "scull" should have been the actual written answer rather than "sculling."

I LOLed at the MCWA for the 1921 Oldsmobile: "The Dukes of Hazzard." I guess people that put that down were really banking on the "highly modified" part of the question. That would be highly modified all right!
For my guess at the "highly modified" part, I put down Inspector Gadget. I figured it was wrong, but couldn't think of what else was highly modified and dangerously so.
I said Batman (1960's version) hoping the batmobile was highly modified.
It was, but it was a highly-modified 1955 Lincoln Futura.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:07 am
Lefty wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 am I wrote "scull" and I don't know if it was accepted or not. I don't like to look at Friday's result when I sense it's bad until it's Monday and I have bigger problems.

I considered Beverly Hillbillies but switched to the Flintstones, which really did feel like an inspiration. Also hadn't realized what a young pup Queen Latifah is.
Not recalling your nom de Llam', I can't check if "scull" was accepted or not, but I'm guessing that it was, and that the commissioner didn't want to penalize people who figured out "scull," thought the question compelled a suffix, and chose the wrong one.
YoungR, though I guess I never announced it here. I have spent most of my LL life in B rundles, though this season I'm in A for the second season in a row for the first time. Maybe expansion has diluted the talent pool. Anyway, scull was good, though unimportant for me result-wise. I wonder if scullduggery would have sailed?
I'm smart and I want respect.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 pm I LOLed at the MCWA for the 1921 Oldsmobile: "The Dukes of Hazzard." I guess people that put that down were really banking on the "highly modified" part of the question. That would be highly modified all right!
For my guess at the "highly modified" part, I put down Inspector Gadget. I figured it was wrong, but couldn't think of what else was highly modified and dangerously so.
That was one of the more baffling MCWAs I've seen.

Playing along, my guess was The Munsters. Turns out that was a Model T. Well, three Model Ts. Models T? A Model TTT?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I would have thought Dukes of Hazard was a BWA attempt. Even if you don’t know anything about cars or the show, surely you know the Duke boys weren’t running from Roscoe in a 1921 car.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Not that I thought that it was correct, but I guessed Sanford and Son for the Oldsmobile question.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Don't forget to submit for the Midseason Classic one day! Entries are due today by noon Eastern time.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

OSXpert wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:53 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:07 am Not recalling your nom de Llam', I can't check if "scull" was accepted or not, but I'm guessing that it was, and that the commissioner didn't want to penalize people who figured out "scull," thought the question compelled a suffix, and chose the wrong one.
Why do you say that? If it's the counterpart to "sweep" it seems like "scull" should have been the actual written answer rather than "sculling."

I LOLed at the MCWA for the 1921 Oldsmobile: "The Dukes of Hazzard." I guess people that put that down were really banking on the "highly modified" part of the question. That would be highly modified all right!
I said Batman (1960's version) hoping the batmobile was highly modified.
I said "My Mother the Car". I really thought that I had a chance on that one.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, that was a crappy showing in the Mid-Season Classic.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

georgespelvin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:13 pm I said "My Mother the Car". I really thought that I had a chance on that one.
She was a 1928 Porter. That I remember from the show's theme song.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:31 pm Well, that was a crappy showing in the Mid-Season Classic.
Olaf played MUCH harder than I would've guessed...and it cost me 45 points.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Volante wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:31 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:31 pm Well, that was a crappy showing in the Mid-Season Classic.
Olaf played MUCH harder than I would've guessed...and it cost me 45 points.
Knew who it was, but couldn't pull his name.

I guessed "Spanish Teacher" for Q6, because the two I recognized (Will Shuester and Ben Chang) were both Spanish teachers. I guess the others weren't. I was debating between that and just teacher, but the fact that two taught Spanish seemed too strong a coincidence.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Well, I only got 5 questions right for the Mid-Season Classic, but they were all my money questions and some of them were on the harder side. I didn't think that they cottage pie question would be hard to get to, but then a few weeks ago I saw a Youtube video of a chef joking around saying that the dish with lamb was called shepards pie, so of course the one made with beef should be called cowboy's pie.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I actually moneyed this MSC nearly optimally. I could have picked up 4 more points had I moneyed McNamara rather than Rolex, but it still wouldn't been enough to get me into the Top 5 for A Cont. Congrats to ElendilPickle who did make it in.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Blue Lion wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:55 pm
georgespelvin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:13 pm I said "My Mother the Car". I really thought that I had a chance on that one.
She was a 1928 Porter. That I remember from the show's theme song.
I mentioned this over on the LL forums already, but there was no such thing as a "1928 Porter" -- the car used in "My Mother the Car" was a highly modified version of an actual 1920s car, but it wasn't an Oldsmobile (and it didn't fit the "wildly unsafe" part of the question).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I only knew 3 of them so I didn't even bother submitting.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

(LL75 MSC) 6/12, 311pts (63%, T-1492nd/4138)

Took a wild swing on Q2 with GULAG and cackled like a hyena when it came up correct. Cottage pie was an insta-get for Q4 as it is one of my favorite dishes, both to prepare and to consume. Golgi for Q5 took over 24 hours to drag out of my brain, and was only triggered on a re-read where I caught the "apparatus" tease-out. We haven't taken the kiddos out to see Coco yet so I missed a golden parent-of-small-children opportunity to grab Q11.

(MD18) :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( 5(3)-1(2) W 10-7-1 (9th/22)

Pulled two points for Q3 out of thin air by remembering a big feature about Obama's photographer sharing all his pictures on Imgur. My opponent gave me a 0 on Q5… not sure whether it was from a guess as to my Turkish connections or because I'm inexplicably 5/6 on World History questions this season. I now hold the distinction of being the only player with 10+ wins in the D transfer zone in the rundle. :roll:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 am Pulled two points for Q3 out of thin air by remembering a big feature about Obama's photographer sharing all his pictures on Imgur.
And guess who was the Daily Show guest last night... :roll:

I first thought, "Nov 7. Election Day. Obama." Then I started overthinking it... "But that's only 10 months or 9 years. Odd for an anniversary thing. Hmm...2017...Princess Di died 20 years ago, that's a nice round number. Let's try that." :evil:

My strategy of sabotaging myself continues.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:41 am I first thought, "Nov 7. Election Day. Obama." Then I started overthinking it... "But that's only 10 months or 9 years. Odd for an anniversary thing. Hmm...2017...Princess Di died 20 years ago, that's a nice round number. Let's try that." :evil:
I went with Princess Di too. There's some new series on Netflix about her and I thought the two projects might be connected.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Well, my defensive lucky streak continues. A 7(4)-6(5) victory was mine after my opponent gave me a zero for the Obama photo question. Granted, I probably should have known that one, but I did correctly guess that they might not know about the Kander and Ebb pairing.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I thought I was going to get a rare Broadway question correct by saying Fosse.... I knew he was a choreographer, but it is his name that comes to mind for both Cabaret and Chicago. Sigh, learned something new.
I'm surprised it wasn't the most common wrong answer.

Lucky 5(3)-4(4) win for me. A Mag is really tight with only 2 points separating the top 10. Unfortunately, I'm in 11th.
Last edited by boson on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.