Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by teapot37 »

Kander & Ebb is one of those writing teams like Rodgers & Hammerstein, Lerner & Leowe, or Kauffman & Hart that pops up from time to time. I couldn't have told you either one's first name, but if you ask for Kander's partner, I for sure know his last name.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

trainman wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:51 pm I mentioned this over on the LL forums already, but there was no such thing as a "1928 Porter" -- the car used in "My Mother the Car" was a highly modified version of an actual 1920s car, but it wasn't an Oldsmobile (and it didn't fit the "wildly unsafe" part of the question).
That probably explains why I've never seen a 1928 Porter at the annual Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Three of my cousins were in a high school production of Curtains recently, but the only credit from the show I could remember was Rupert Holmes. I thought of Barack Obama, but decided that a book published so close to the anniversary of the election would probably have pictures of Hillary Clinton. And I considered both Bulgaria and the Ottoman Empire when considering Austria-Hungary and Germany's WWI allies, but gave the lame answer of Czechoslovakia (which was part of Austria-Hungary until after the war). These factors contributed to a pathetic 1(1) (I only got Mona Lisa), the only 1fer in my rundle. Obama and Ottoman would have gotten me a tie.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I was a bit upset with myself not remembering Turkey wasn't a country until after WWI, but was glad to get credit. I knew from a recent read of a Lawrence of Arabia bio that he was fighting Turks and also connected Gallipoli/Turkey/WWI. Was pretty sure Bulgaria was correct based on books about Russian invasions of Bulgaria in WW1 and WW2.
The book category date lead me to election day. I did think Obama immediately, then pivoted to Hillary remembering that a book about her just came out.
Still, managed to win 2(3)-1(1), and climb up to 20th in DMag2.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I can thank reading Birds Without Wings for coming up with the Ottoman Empire. I probably wouldn't have come up with it otherwise.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:04 pm I can thank reading Birds Without Wings for coming up with the Ottoman Empire. I probably wouldn't have come up with it otherwise.
Hmm... I thought that it was pretty common knowledge that WW I spelled the end of two aging empires: Hapsburg/HRE and Ottoman. As usual, I'll have to rethink my assumptions.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Woof wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:42 pm I actually moneyed this MSC nearly optimally. I could have picked up 4 more points had I moneyed McNamara rather than Rolex, but it still wouldn't been enough to get me into the Top 5 for A Cont. Congrats to ElendilPickle who did make it in.
Thank you! I'm happy to have done so well.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:04 pm I can thank reading Birds Without Wings for coming up with the Ottoman Empire. I probably wouldn't have come up with it otherwise.
Hmm... I thought that it was pretty common knowledge that WW I spelled the end of two aging empires: Hapsburg/HRE and Ottoman. As usual, I'll have to rethink my assumptions.
I'm sure it is for people well-versed in European history. I'm much better at American History than world history. I might have gotten that question right before reading that book, but it would have been a guess I think.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Why I decided to change a guess of "church" to "record label" just before submitting, I'll never know. Also, now I get why it's called the "West Indies".

Getting really tired of all the Kosman coins I'm hitting this go-round. On the plus side, I've broken my season record for ties now. Beats losing, that's for sure.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 am Also, now I get why it's called the "West Indies".
I got credit for "Dutch West Indies Company." There is definitely no "scullery/sculling"-esque questioning on my part for that one.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:01 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 am Also, now I get why it's called the "West Indies".
I got credit for "Dutch West Indies Company." There is definitely no "scullery/sculling"-esque questioning on my part for that one.
Another Dutch West Indies Company for me on my way to the easiest 9(6) I've ever had. I took a gamble giving my opponent with a .832 on TV the 3 points for the church guessing that might be out of the range of normal TV knowledge. I was right and the 4(4) victory has me a notch above relegation back to C.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

So, as to how someone from the Bronx missed that baseball question, well.... I haven't really been following baseball closely for a while. If Judge had won, I'd have known it. I knew he lost, and to someone who didn't hit such a lot of homers. I did notice the headlines yesterday about Stanton, and how he had hit even more home runs. Wait, wasn't this supposed to be an explanation?

Despite missing it, I did feel clever on the movie question. I figured it's something where the plot is secondary, so maybe a musical, or maybe...a cartoon, like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? The only thing slightly damping my clever feeling is the fact that I actually read the Fletch novel the movie was based on.

I did win yesterday's match, thanks I assume to my opponent's natural assumption that a New Yorker couldn't possibly miss the New Amsterdam question. I keep forgetting that east is east and west is west. I need some sort of mnemonic.
I'm smart and I want respect.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I eeked out a 5(3)-4(3) win on MD19, to improve to 7-11-1 on the season, and climbing 2 spots to 16th in the rundle, the top of the positions in the relegation zone. My stats are going to hurt as we head down the home stretch and I fight to avoid relegation; I am tied for third fewest total correct answers, and tied for fewest match points (50); I also have only had one 3-pointer this season...while everyone else in the rundle has had at least 3.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I think I outsmarted myself yesterday.

The question was about which previous World Cup winner (men's) didn't make this year's finals. My opponent is BAD at games/sports, like 15% correct total. HOWEVER, his location: Rome, Italy.

I put 0 for it, figuring even someone who hates sports would have heard that news in the country. He missed it, and I lost. Urgh. If he lived in any other country, I put down 3 easily.

What would you have done?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Question 6's MCWA is a textbook example what happens when you don't RTQ.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

(MD19) :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: 3(3)-3(3) T 10-7-2 (9th/22)

I need to learn to submit later in the day. Q3 asked to identify this person. I had no clue in the world. She's Meghan Markle, apparently. An hour after submitting, I stumbled across this tweet from Jennifer Morrow. Sigh.

A tie against the 3rd-place player in R Summit 2 feels like an upset-victory and keeps me close to the C-D boundary, still with the only 10+-win record in the D transfer zone. Double-sigh. I would love to nudge up and over that line by the end of the season. My remaining schedule looks favorable on paper, but already this season I have both won matches I was "supposed to lose" and lost matches (sometimes badly) that I was "supposed to win", so anything's possible.

To anyone who's going to be in B Summit for LL76, get ready to say hello to BurmilaE, MillerD2, and probably MartinM4. BurmilaE has nearly clinched a top-three spot already, with 16 wins and a MPD of +80. The three of them have formed a peloton of awesomeness that has pulled out a 16-point MPD gap over 4th place.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:32 am Question 6's MCWA is a textbook example what happens when you don't RTQ.
Yeah, I was shocked at how many had that MCWA.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:24 pm I was a bit upset with myself not remembering Turkey wasn't a country until after WWI, but was glad to get credit. I knew from a recent read of a Lawrence of Arabia bio that he was fighting Turks and also connected Gallipoli/Turkey/WWI. Was pretty sure Bulgaria was correct based on books about Russian invasions of Bulgaria in WW1 and WW2.
I said Turkey as well. I remembered a quote from the World War I era about Turkey being the "sick man of Europe". Just checking before I typed this, it appears that the quote has been attributed to the Ottoman Empire as a whole, but I remember hearing in a few different places that Turkey was described in that way by name. Also, Tsar Nicholas apparently referred to the Ottoman Empire as Turkey. I don't see how Turkey could not have been accepted given the question.

I had my first tie of the season and just third tie in my last four (including a mini-league). Today I play someone with SEVEN ties so far this season. :shock:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 am I need to learn to submit later in the day. Q3 asked to identify this person. I had no clue in the world. She's Meghan Markle, apparently. An hour after submitting, I stumbled across this tweet from Jennifer Morrow. Sigh.
Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'd be cheating if you saw this tweet subsequent to reading yesterday's questions and changing your answer as a result. Of course if you saw the tweet before looking at the LL question then it's fair game.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:54 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 am I need to learn to submit later in the day. Q3 asked to identify this person. I had no clue in the world. She's Meghan Markle, apparently. An hour after submitting, I stumbled across this tweet from Jennifer Morrow. Sigh.
Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you'd be cheating if you saw this tweet subsequent to reading yesterday's questions and changing your answer as a result. Of course if you saw the tweet before looking at the LL question then it's fair game.
I have to agree. It would be inadvertent, but it's against the letter of the rules -- the big, red-boxed letter of Rule 17.1.

I'm trying to think of a case where an answer got spoiled for me and what I did in that event, but even after 16 seasons I don't think it's happened before I submitted. Many, many times after I did, though.