Friday, April 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Friday, April 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Magna »

dhkendall wrote: (I'll even make it easy for him and include kings and queens, who are world leaders as well.)
It's extra easy if "The king/queen of ____" is acceptable.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Really, two world leaders hanging out together, one of them female, is pretty much a giveaway. But I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing of the Kennedys again. :evil:
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

I think they've featured about ten questions on the boring ass Kennedy clan this week. Dull episode of the show with a good FJ. Pretty easy for me.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Everyone be sure to check out the third post in this thread. I have to say that it is some of my finest work.

Shouldn't the correct FJ response have been "What are Sarkozy and Merkel?", because the clue asked for the names of the pair, it didn't say "Name these people". Am I crazy, or is there a distinction there? I know the contestants are given the first word of the intended FJ response, so in this case they must have been told to write "who", rather than "what", but you wouldn't say "Who are their names?", you would say "What are their names?". Their names are Sarkozy and Merkel. Now my head hurts. Feel free to ignore this if it sounds like total nonsense.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: FJ? Doesn't matter since I've never heard of either person anyway.
I am really tempted to say this is ignorant. How can you not know who runs Germany and France, they are two of our "allies".
Hell, 75% of Americans probably can't name one of their own congressmen.

If you aspire to be in J!, then yeah, you need to know some world leaders, but for the average Joe it's meaningless info.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

econgator wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: FJ? Doesn't matter since I've never heard of either person anyway.
I am really tempted to say this is ignorant. How can you not know who runs Germany and France, they are two of our "allies".
Hell, 75% of Americans probably can't name one of their own congressmen.

If you aspire to be in J!, then yeah, you need to know some world leaders, but for the average Joe it's meaningless info.
Of course I know most of mine, gotta vote every 2 years for their asses.

But, I mean personally a short list of the obvious: Obama, Harper, Merkel, Netanyahu, Sarkozy, Calderon, Brown, Mededev kind of are expected to knows in my book in general, not just for J! Just me though.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

When I was ten I could name every state's Senators. Still can. Still agree with those who say it's unnecessary info. He'll, I even know Ireland's PM & Prez.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:But, I mean personally a short list of the obvious: Obama, Harper, Merkel, Netanyahu, Sarkozy, Calderon, Brown, Mededev kind of are expected to knows in my book in general, not just for J! Just me though.
Do you mean Cameron? Or is there another Brown I'm not recalling?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:Hell, 75% of Americans probably can't name one of their own congressmen.
Dan Benishek. :D
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

marpocky wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:But, I mean personally a short list of the obvious: Obama, Harper, Merkel, Netanyahu, Sarkozy, Calderon, Brown, Mededev kind of are expected to knows in my book in general, not just for J! Just me though.
Do you mean Cameron? Or is there another Brown I'm not recalling?
You know what, my bad, I'm apparently still in 2009 somewhere with that one. Forgot Cameron had taken over for Gordon Brown.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
They've never heard of him, either. And besides...along with TPH, they have never been in Cliff Clavin's kitchen! :mrgreen:
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
I don't pay attention to world politics. And as I said, it wouldn't matter since I don't see how anyone could pick their faces out of a crowd.
Well, by not having prognosp-whatzit...by paying attention to world politics..and by basically not being you..it can happen.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

Today's Heraldry/Haroldry categories was a bit of deja-vu for me:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2196

The clues were different, but three of the same Harolds appeared in both games.

I think Heraldry appeared fairly often in the 90s and when I took the test in Atlantic City, sure enough, there was a Heraldry clue. And then when I got on the show...there it was again! I like Haroldry better.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

I, personally, have heard of them both, but I didn't know they were spending particular time together. Perhaps it's because I was working from the photo on this site only, having missed the episode (as I do every Friday for my board game night).
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

jeff6286 wrote:World Leaders
Names of the pair seen here, who've been spending a lot of time together.

Click spoiler box to see the photo
Spoiler
Click this spoiler box to see a slightly more helpful photo
Spoiler
Click this spoiler box to see an even more helpful photo
Spoiler
Click this spoiler box to see a somewhat amusing photo of the duo
Spoiler
Click this spoiler box to see them perhaps getting a little too close
Spoiler
Click this spoiler box to see them as life-size puppets
Spoiler
Click this spoiler box to see them as knitted dolls
Spoiler
Click this spoiler box to see a carnival float depicting the duo, that some people might find just slightly inappropriate
Spoiler
Click this spoiler box to see the correct reponse
Spoiler
Who are Nicholas Sarkozy and Angela Merkel? (The President of France and Chancellor of Germany, respectively.)
Bing Huo: $12,600+$3,201=$15,801...now a 1-day champion with $15,801
Lisa Lyons: $7,900+$5,188=$13,088
Joey Falco: $7,600+$7,600=$15,200
This isn't good work, it's great work!
Sage on the Hudson

If you'd like a transcript of today's "Meet the Press"...

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

...send ten cents to Merkel Press, Post Office Box...

TenPoundHammer wrote:I don't pay attention to world politics. And as I said, it wouldn't matter since I don't see how anyone could pick their faces out of a crowd.
To people everywhere else, American politics are world politics, and what excuse do they have for not being familiar with what goes on in the U.S.?

jeff6286 wrote:Shouldn't the correct FJ response have been "What are Sarkozy and Merkel?", because the clue asked for the names of the pair, it didn't say "Name these people". Am I crazy, or is there a distinction there? I know the contestants are given the first word of the intended FJ response, so in this case they must have been told to write "who", rather than "what", but you wouldn't say "Who are their names?", you would say "What are their names?". Their names are Sarkozy and Merkel. Now my head hurts. Feel free to ignore this if it sounds like total nonsense.
You could phrase it "Whither went Sarkozy and Merkel," for all the judges care. Just as long it's put in some form of question.

econgator wrote:Hell, 75% of Americans probably can't name one of their own congressmen.
No one has, or can have (be the constituent of), more than one Congressman or woman at a time.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: If you'd like a transcript of today's "Meet the Press"...

Post by seaborgium »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
No one has, or can have (be the constituent of), more than one Congressman or woman at a time.
I count two senators and a district representative in Congress.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

xxaaaxx wrote: When Bing hit that DD, I didn't even realize he was that close to the lead. I thought Lisa was going to run away with it, and was practically chanting "August! August!" on her DD.
Dream clue for me, since August 1914 is my favorite novel, although I'm sure Light in August is more well known.

And since Alex prides himself on his French pronunciation, I'm surprised he mispronounced Sarkozy (3 times!), even though it is of Hungarian origin.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Obviously they've switched some teen weeks FJS with the actual ones. Some poor kids are going to have to answer FJ questions on John Wesley Hardin and Escoffier next sweeps month.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Waiting for TPH to complain about how he had no chance in FJ given his prosopagnosia in 3, 2 ...
I predict he will also complain about how slow Lisa was to select, and how she read the whole category name. (Not that he'd be wrong this time!) I'm bitter because I was 3/3 in an unlikely category when they ran out of time.
Insta final.
It's odd that some clues got missed, because that was a shorter than usual game. I've even taken to adding a bit more commercial buffer and it STILL came in under 19 minutes. So I dunno...

I was fearing a BMS on "Harrison"...in retrospect I should have remembered Harrison #23 was named after his great grandfather (the signer) but didn't come in time.

Final was an instant. Merkel is just easy to spot, and the talks between France and Germany over the Euro / Greece fiasco should have narrowed down the other guy...if you didn't recognize him.

Also, I don't know NZ, but I know Gillard! (As she's not in the news, I wouldn't expect people to have confused her for Merkel
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)