Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by mennoknight »

Thrilled to be back in B Pacific. A gives me hives.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:07 am I initially thought of the Olympics, but by modern scheduling, April is really early to start the Summer games (now they usually start in July or August). So I ended up going with "fog".
"Lethal smog" was my first guess, but wouldn't that have happened sooner after Vesuvius erupted? So I went with "International Geophysical Year" (don't even ask). That 1908 was an Olympic year didn't occur to me, though it should have.

I closed out the season with a tie, and finished 19th in A Horizon with an 8-12-5 record. That includes 3 forfeit wins, which helped me stave off relegation. That said, I improved on my last-place showing in LL74 and live to fight another day in LL76.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

Congratulations to PatKav for her victory in A Magnolia, Peachbox for her promotion, Alietr for holding on and moving comfortably up the leader board, and my husband Boson for making a late season surge. I am looking forward to playing all of you, as well as Jfrumkin and Vermonter next season.

Congrats to DHKendall for keeping above the relegation zone too!

I managed to talk myself out of Olympics because I am used to the modern short version, and went with "world's fair." I was awarded yet another win, thanks to my opponent's points assignment. This has truely been a strangely lucky season for me. Have a great break everyone!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Back to the questions: for MD25 Q4 it started:
"The salient in the German front lines..."

I had never heard of the term "salient" as a noun. It apparently means:
noun
a piece of land or section of fortification that juts out to form an angle.
I guess that was meant to be a clue to "battle of the bulge". Did anyone know that definition?
Last edited by boson on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

I'm proud to have finished second in A Laguna, and especially proud to wrap up the season with an entire case of beer in the last four match days!

Each day had something tricky--dredging up the names Piers Morgan and Van Eyck; making a wild guess on Eminem because maybe the photo resembled what I pictured was the cover of 8 Mile; and especially realizing that Emily Dickinson would never have written a line as clunky as "Hope" is a thing with wings. The London Olympics was a tricky one too, but the two year gap since the eruption suggested it was some long-planned international event, and putting together "1908 London International Event" switched on the light bulb.

I'm glad the season didn't start this way, or I'd probably be disappointed now!
Last edited by plasticene on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

boson wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:18 pm Back to the questions: for MD25 Q4 it started:
"The salient in the German front lines..."

I had never heard of the term "salient" as a noun. It apparently means:
noun
a piece of land or section of fortification that juts out to form an angle.
I guess that was meant to be a clue to "battle of the bulge". Did anyone know that definition?
Yes. It's a common military expression. If you don't read much military history you're probably unlikely to come across that usage much.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Ended the season with a 4(2)-4(3) tie in which my opponent, 4-18 previously in math, got focus which I did not get, even though my math % is fairly high and I've taken a lot of math. Hadn't thought about parabolas in a while. For the Olympic question, I figured the WW2 question World HIstory and there wouldn't be another world history question so went through the categories thinking "What would need to be temporarily relocated from ROme to London"....then saw sports and thought 1908 was an Olympic year and was confident the 1908 games were in London. Also note they were just the Olympics then, winter games didn't start until 1924. And yes, I've heard of salient as a military angle but I also read a ton of military history books.

Got demoted from D Magnolia 2 to E. My TCA was about rundle average, DE was in the top 6 but I was defended so well this year (0.248 OE) and my TCA was 3rd most in the rundle. So many days where I got 3 or 4 right, played someone who got 4 or 5 right and looked at the days results where 16 or 17 people in the rundle got less than 3 right...so frustrating. But I look forward to LL76!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:18 pm I guess that was meant to be a clue to "battle of the bulge". Did anyone know that definition?
Absolutely. I've read enough books on war to be familiar with it.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I go into the off-season on a great note. I tied my opponent with a 6(3)-6(5) score. I don't know if I've ever tied with 2 fewer questions correct than my opponent, and usually I'm on the wrong end when it comes to defensive scoring.

I also got lucky because Sports is one of my wheelhouses but he didn't know that the London question was a sports question. Also World History isn't one of my strong suits but I got the Battle of the Bulge clue because I knew it was one of the last battles of WWII.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cmp146 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:06 pm I managed to talk myself out of Olympics because I am used to the modern short version, and went with "world's fair." I was awarded yet another win, thanks to my opponent's points assignment. This has truely been a strangely lucky season for me. Have a great break everyone!
I’m wondering, was this not the era when Olympics were a (smaller) part of the (bigger-drawing) World’s Fair? If so, was the Worlds Fair also scheduled for Rome and moved to London due to the eruption? I’d check on that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:29 am Yesterday was a defensive nightmare for most of myvRundle: lots of 8(5) and 4(3) scores. Lots of people undervalued the Blanchett/Hepburn question and others undervalued the math question.
No kidding: three Dollys, and all three of us missed the Blanchett/Hepburn question. Thought I had a shot with Chaplin, hoping maybe Robert Downey Jr. won for his portrayal, but that was way back in 1992, plus he didn't win. Hoo-wa!

"Focus" at least in my case was throwing out a math term I vaguely remembered referred to a single point, and rejoicing in my good luck.
Woof wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:29 amGratz to Reddpen, bomtr, ElendilPickle for their finishes and hats off to SterlacciJ, our Rundle champion.
Thanks! Gotta be the only time I've finished ahead of you, though I did manage to nose out bomtr back in LL73. My TCA of 115 is a new PR by two points--then again, this season played easier overall for everyone at .508, compared with .476 since I joined back in LL50.

Now commences the long dark winter of our (non-Thorsten)content. See you in February for LL76, and for today, rejoice that the days are about to get longer.
Last edited by reddpen on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
In and out of the pool four times
Mike Breen
Contributor

Post by Mike Breen »

Absolutely fluked my way into a Rundle B Peninsula 1st place finish (2nd lowest CAA in my rundle). Looking forward to going 0-25 in A next season. Ugh at least I get the award.
Last edited by Mike Breen on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Now commences the long dark winter of our (non-Thorsten)content. See you in February for LL76, and for today, rejoice that the days are about to get longer.
I'm looking forward to the two mini-leagues I plan to play and the one-day specials. Which reminds me, I need to start writing my 1DS.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

After 4 seasons in B Alpine, I finally got the promotion to A -- turns out it helps a lot to begin a season with 13 consecutive non-losses. I predict that will not happen in A.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:08 am Welp, after a 5-0-1 start I ended up at 13-9-3 which was good enough for third place!… … …among players transferring to D Summit. :lol:
I'd just like to point out that while they all eventually climbed into an A rundle, the last three ToC winners were initially assigned to C, D, and D rundles after their rookie seasons.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The off-season begins tomorrow with three One Day Specials.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 am Also, I've submitted day MD25 already, which means I've completed my 2nd Completist Cup, and 20 full seasons of LL without a forfeit, 3,600 Qs in total. I do love this game, and I already can't wait for next year. (Already signed up for the MLs, and you should too, unless you don't want to.)
For the Completist Cup, do you have to answer every single question, even if you are clueless, or just enter every quiz?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:25 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 am Also, I've submitted day MD25 already, which means I've completed my 2nd Completist Cup, and 20 full seasons of LL without a forfeit, 3,600 Qs in total. I do love this game, and I already can't wait for next year. (Already signed up for the MLs, and you should too, unless you don't want to.)
For the Completist Cup, do you have to answer every single question, even if you are clueless, or just enter every quiz?
Good question. I know it doesn't count at all if you do what I do on most all 1DSs, which is just click the top 5 money boxes and submit. But if you answer 11 and leave on blank? Hmm.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

econgator wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 pmI know it doesn't count at all if you do what I do on most all 1DSs, which is just click the top 5 money boxes and submit.
Why would you do this?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:25 pm
You have to enter every quiz and attempt to answer at least 1 question. Blank 1-Days are not counted.

I read every question with an eye toward answering them, but I leave plenty of them blank. I have gone 0-12 a few times, but I always make a guess at 3-5, even if those guesses aren't any good.