Friday, December 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, December 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:17 am I don't think you've got anything to apologize for. There were some similarities for sure.
Yes, there were similarities. Yes, part of the post was unnecessary. I for one appreciated the apology and believe no harm was meant. Everybody makes mistakes, let's all move on.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

hscer wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:07 pm Went with Johnny's Kingston WAG in FJ, so no perfect week for me; just another 4/5.

I liked Donna even before her first DD wager. Even ignoring the strategic element, huge DD wagers are really good for the game.
Beat me to it with both your comments. Donna was huge fun to watch, and she was certainly wagering with gusto. She was either supremely confident with the categories (rightfully so, as it turned out), or went into the game with the mindset that if she didn't succeed, she was at least going to "fail while daring greatly."

Very much looking forward to Monday.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:16 pm
I tried to come up with one starting with K....The only one I came up with was K-Pop, which sounds like it could be a label, but it's been taken... :oops:
I remember a company named "K-Tel" back in the day; they did compilation albums that were advertised a lot on TV. Don't know if that would count as a "record label" though.

-------------------------

... and then did some research after typing the above. They're still in business; record albums were only a piece of their telemarketing. They marketed the original "Veg-a-matic". May have been the originators of "But wait, there's more!" Hadn't heard about them in decades, but they're still around, mostly with online marketing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-tel
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:19 am
Lefty wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:46 am I don't think you said anything wrong, either, except that if Austin has died and been reincarnated, he couldn't be already as old as Donna. Perhaps he can't even have been born yet, depending on when ensoulment takes place.
Some time after middle school at the earliest.
I don't know about the timing. My dad was and is an arch-conservative, but after raising three boys, once said he could be in favor of allowing abortion until the fetus graduates from high school.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Golf wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:49 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:17 am I don't think you've got anything to apologize for. There were some similarities for sure.
Yes, there were similarities. Yes, part of the post was unnecessary. I for one appreciated the apology and believe no harm was meant. Everybody makes mistakes, let's all move on.
Yes, and you're compounding yours.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:10 pm
Golf wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:49 pm
Yes, and you're compounding yours.
Golf wasn't the offender.
JErickson2021
Contributor

Post by JErickson2021 »

I still can't believe how much she got that day. :D
I'm really glad she won with that much!
Her winnings:
Spoiler
$45,600
Wagers:
First DD:
Spoiler
TDD ($9,800)
Second DD:
Spoiler
$14,400
FJ:
Spoiler
$13,000
Total Wagers:
Spoiler
$37,200
Coryat Score:
Spoiler
$8,400
Link to Video: https://youtu.be/DT8vbvq1TuI
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

After Donna's gutsy TDD, the other players should have done everything in their power to keep her from finding the next one. That, alas, did not happen

Curious to see how Donna fares in her next game(s). She's fun to watch, but I was kinda expecting her to fly off the rails with all that nervous energy. Instead she walked away with $45K!

Did her 2nd DD wager make sense? She got it right but couldn't pick up enough clues after that to lock up the game. Had she got it wrong, she would've been trailing Johnny but not out of contention. FEARLESS GIRL for $1600? Not sure how much I would have wagered there

Missed Island Records on LL, saw FJ and thought oh god is this gonna come to me in 30 seconds? No dice! I think I put Kingston both times :(
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I only have one word for Donna's two daily doubles.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

floridagator wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:48 pm I only have one word for Donna's two daily doubles.
Paydirt.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:48 pm I only have one word for Donna's two daily doubles.
Strategy
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got 37R which is a good game for me. I got Island Records no problem. I think I missed with "Kingston" when it came up in Learned League. I didn't know what compote was but I guess it's fruit cooked in syrup. I never thought food would be a weakness for me but it's quickly becoming one of my worst categories. There is a lot of fancy food out there that I'm not familiar with.

I got 2/3 daily doubles. I missed Isabel Allende even though I had definitely heard of her. If they had spotted me Magic Realism I might have gotten it. I also learned that I've been pronouncing Allende wrong. There's no "L" sound. I guessed "Paradise Lost" but would have picked up "Inferno" on the rebound. I think the word Canto hinted at Inferno. I missed the sculptor Henry Moore and the Bernini sculpture "Apollo and Daphne." Bernini is a really good sculptor I can't imagine the talent it takes to make something like "Pluto and Persephone." That's the one that impresses me the most but I don't know anything about sculpting.
morbeedo wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:55 pm Did her 2nd DD wager make sense? She got it right but couldn't pick up enough clues after that to lock up the game. Had she got it wrong, she would've been trailing Johnny but not out of contention. FEARLESS GIRL for $1600? Not sure how much I would have wagered there
Donna had 22800 against the scores 17400/3800 with 9200 of clues left on the board. She bet 11400 which was half of her money.

It probably would have made more sense to bet 12000 or more to put herself in a lock position or to bet 11200 or less which puts her within 2/3 of Justin's score on a miss. She actually hit the sweet spot in between 11200 and 12000 where she doesn't get a lock game but puts herself on the wrong side of a crush game.

With 9200 of clues left on the board it's impossible to know exactly what bet to make and she seemed comfortable with the Fearless Girl category.

She had a lot of strategies available. She could have bet for the crush game without giving up the lead. She could have bet for the crush game while staying within 2/3 of Justin's total. She could have and did bet for the crush game but a miss would drop her below 2/3 of Justin's total. Or she could have bet for a lock game while still staying in contention.

That's way too much to process in the few seconds you have to place a bet. Her wager of half her total was fine. It guaranteed she was still in the game if she missed and gave her a big advantage if she got it right. I would actually recommend wagering even higher than what she did and go for the lock game. It's impossible to know what the best bet is without knowing how the other 9200 dollars of clues get awarded. Betting big while staying in contention is usually the best strategy.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:11 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:33 pm When I saw RECORD LABELS for the FJ! category I was not optimistic. No such luck for the clue to have been the LA building for Capitol Records or Beatles to Granny Smith. I wrote “Kin” and switched to Reggae to have something on the paper. Somewhere I must have heard of the label for Marley & U2, but not my kind of clue.
Should have been paying closer attention to LearnedLeague ;) . I missed it then (much to my ex-disk jockey mortification), but I sure wasn't going to miss it now.

https://learnedleague.com/question.php?73&6&5
I got it on LL according to the site and looking at the question I haven’t the foggiest idea how I did that - not blaming it on Thorsten but rather pretty much the exact same crucial TOM was in this show and it sailed over my head.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:46 pm
Monongahela was yet another clue that argues for getting the contestants a larger/closer monitor for video clues. I doubt the contestants could see that the other two of the "three rivers" were labeled.
I saw the labelled ones but waffles between Susquehanna and Schulkill for the rivers. I think I was in the right area, but those aren’t any of the “three rivers”.
AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:12 pm
davey wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:16 pm
I tried to come up with one starting with K....The only one I came up with was K-Pop, which sounds like it could be a label, but it's been taken... :oops:
I remember a company named "K-Tel" back in the day; they did compilation albums that were advertised a lot on TV. Don't know if that would count as a "record label" though.

-------------------------

... and then did some research after typing the above. They're still in business; record albums were only a piece of their telemarketing. They marketed the original "Veg-a-matic". May have been the originators of "But wait, there's more!" Hadn't heard about them in decades, but they're still around, mostly with online marketing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-tel
Yup, Winnipeg’s own K-Tel! Was part of our unique culture for years, their ads were as ubiquitous here as they were there, and at the same time.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:55 pm FEARLESS GIRL for $1600? Not sure how much I would have wagered there.
I think Donna saw the category name, thought "Yes, I am," and pressed on.
summerbabe

Post by summerbabe »

Hi guys! This is Donna. Thank you for your compliments; they are much appreciated.
Honestly, the whole thing was a complete blur; no strategery was involved. I had no wagering strategy for FJ, despite staying up with my husband all night before my flight going over the finer points. I saw Record Labels, thought “I’ve been a music nerd ALL MY LIFE”, and went for it. Supreme luck all around.
one-day Jeopardy! champ- went down in flames Christmas Day 2017. Some call me Lady Austin Rogers. My husband calls me Mrs. H. Twitter has called me many things.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

summerbabe wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:36 pm Hi guys! This is Donna. Thank you for your compliments; they are much appreciated.
Honestly, the whole thing was a complete blur; no strategery was involved. I had no wagering strategy for FJ, despite staying up with my husband all night before my flight going over the finer points. I saw Record Labels, thought “I’ve been a music nerd ALL MY LIFE”, and went for it. Supreme luck all around.
By sheer luck, I get to be the first one to welcome you aboard! It is customary to wish you retro-luck since you are having to keep on the down low, so max retro luck! You've sure got the buzz going here and it wasn't just a lucky draw - you got game, girl :!:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

MattKnowles wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:21 am I guessed "Paradise Lost" but would have picked up "Inferno" on the rebound. I think the word Canto hinted at Inferno.
Canto is definitely a Dante tip-off but better to answer with Divine Comedy and wait for a BMS before answering Inferno.
I would prefer not to.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

summerbabe wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:36 pm I had no wagering strategy for FJ, despite staying up with my husband all night before my flight going over the finer points.
Sometimes betting big and getting the questions right is all the strategy that's needed. That was one of the best performances I've ever seen on the show and certainly the best this season alongside some of Austin's games.
Retro good luck for tomorrow! My whole family will be tuning in to root for you.
I would prefer not to.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

another missed on LL, got this FJ
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I just stumbled on this article from August about a J! audition that mentions Donna. http://www.telegraphherald.com/ap/enter ... 40ce5.html

The relevant portion:
Donna Brown, of Seattle, told Speak that her mother had appeared on “Sale of the Century” when she was pregnant with her (she still uses the luggage she won on the show) and that her brother, Eric was a “Jeopardy!” winner who took her on a trip to Mexico.

“I have to fulfill this destiny,” Brown said about why she auditioned.
The former part was mentioned in one of her Alex chats; the writer must have misunderstood Donna's explanation of the latter part: Eric Brown got that trip to Mexico by coming in second in 1999. (Either that, or there's an unarchived champ named Eric Brown who just happened to take a trip to the country where a later Eric Brown would get a trip to as a consolation prize. MarkBarrett, maybe you can dig up a tape to see if 1999's Eric bears a resemblance to Donna...?)

Edit: the second picture in the article has Donna in it, and the caption also mentions the $otC tidbit and the fake news about her brother.