Wednesday, December 27, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7663, 2017-12-27

CONTESTANTS
Sarah Walsh, a children’s librarian from Rockville, Maryland
Kevin Foley, a police captain from Mount Sinai, New York
Ami Li, a freelance writer from Lyme, Connecticut (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. As you heard, if you were watching our program yesterday, Ami has a bit of a challenge on her hands because she wants to match her fellow Wellesleyan, Julia Collins, who won a lot of money on our show, right?

Ami: I did not say "match." I am just so honored to be in the same cohort as Julia Collins.

Alex: Okay, well, today you defend for the first time. So say hello to Sarah and Kevin, and now let's go to work in the Jeopardy! Round. Here are the categories for you, folks...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
KILLING GARY OLDMAN (5/5)
RHYME TIME FASHION (4/5)
HISTORIC DATES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
I GOT 3 I'S ON YOU (5/5)
HODGEPODGE (5/5)
IF THE BEES WENT AWAY... (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ami: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Kevin: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Sarah: 9 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ami found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Ami had $3,000, Kevin had $1,800, and Sarah was at $1,400. Ami wagered $1,000.

HISTORIC DATES $600: American patriots dressed as Mohawks for this festive event on December 16, 1773

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ami: $4,000
Kevin: $1,800
Sarah: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sarah Walsh is a children's librarian from Maryland. I have mentioned this on the program many times in the past, that our contestants, a lot of them, are collectors. You are a collector.

Sarah: Of many things. I have a collection of bathing suits from the '50s and '60s, some of which might still fit me. It's been a while since I bought some of them. But I also have an ad from a magazine from the era with the bathing suit in it that's also in my collection.

Alex: Wow. Good for you.

Alex: Kevin Foley, police captain from Mount Sinai, New York, who almost caused a riot in the Bahamas? What's going on here?

Kevin: In my svelter days, I was wearing a T-shirt from the Law Enforcement Torch Run from the Special Olympics, and the logo is very similar to a political party that was not in favor, and there was a rally going on for the other side. Policemen there stopped me, and I got a free T-shirt out of it.

Alex: That's the way to work it. Free T-shirts.

Alex: Ami Li. Freelance writer from Connecticut who lived in Beijing for how many years?

Ami: I lived there for a little bit over six years.

Alex: And you had two things going for you. You were a restaurant critic and a music festival promoter?

Ami: Yeah, they're really cool first jobs to have. So I did college radio when I was at Wellesley, and I found a job almost immediately doing the exact same thing I did, but for money, in China. So I am very grateful for that.

Alex: Nothing wrong with earning money in China.

Ami: We like that now.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
RHYME TIME FASHION $400: A fancy coffee-colored full-length dress
(Sarah: What is a maxi...)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ami: $7,600
Sarah: $5,000
Kevin: $4,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HIP-HOP & R&B 2017 (2/2)
SHAKESPEARE IN THE PARK (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AROUND THE PACIFIC (2/5)
TRANSLATE THE LANGUAGE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TIME FOR SECONDS (3/5)
THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING ERNEST (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kevin: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Sarah: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Ami: 3 R, 5 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Ami had $6,800, Kevin had $8,400, and Sarah was at $5,000. Sarah made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,000.

SHAKESPEARE IN THE PARK $1200: This pastoral place is the setting for most of "As You Like It"
(Sarah: What is the...)
(Alex: Come on.)
(Sarah: Not coming.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kevin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Ami had $3,600, Kevin had $11,200, and Sarah was at $2,800. Kevin wagered $4,000.

TRANSLATE THE LANGUAGE $1600: Islenska

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TIME FOR SECONDS $400: "On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep", begins the second verse of this patriotic song
(Sarah: What is "God Bless America"?)
(Ami: What is "Battle Hymn Of The Republic"?)

TIME FOR SECONDS $800: This element with a nucleus containing 2 protons is the second-most abundant in the universe & the second-lightest
(Ami: What is oxygen?)
(Sarah: What is nitrogen?)
(Kevin: What is hydrogen?)

TRANSLATE THE LANGUAGE $2000: Diné Bizaad

AROUND THE PACIFIC $400: Mount Wilhelm, named for the son of Otto von Bismarck, is the highest peak in this country on New Guinea

AROUND THE PACIFIC $1200: If Lennon played the second-largest Japanese city, it'd be the ballad of John & this
(Sarah: What is Tokyo?)
(Ami: What is Kyoto?

AROUND THE PACIFIC $2000: Almost all of this country's imports flow through the Gulf of Guayaquil to its largest port
(Sarah: What is Guam?)

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING ERNEST $1200: Ernest Shackleton led the expedition in which this ship drifted for 10 months before being crushed in pack ice

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING ERNEST $1600: This country singer of "Sixteen Tons" & "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett" was indeed born in the 16th state
(Kevin: Who is Ernest Tubbs?)

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING ERNEST $2000: This New Zealand-born physicist is seen here around the time he established the nuclear model of the atom
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kevin: $15,200 (lock game)
Ami: $4,400
Sarah: $800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL HOMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Kevin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Ami: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Sarah: You've no hope of catching up... unless Ami does something stupid. So risk $799.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Originally called Rural Retreat, this 19th century presidential home has a name that's a synonym for "retreat"

FINAL SCORES
Sarah: $800 - $800 = $0 (What is Peacefield?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Ami: $4,400 + $4,399 = $8,799 (What is Hermitage) (2nd place: $2,000)
Kevin: $15,200 + $800 = $16,000 (What is the Hermitage) (New champion: $16,000)
(Alex: He retired to this home, then came out of retirement to become president of the United States, and then retired back there again.)
(Alex: [To Ami] The home of Andrew Jackson.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kevin: $12,800, 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Sarah: $5,800, 15 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Ami: $4,000, 14 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Combined Coryat: $22,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Kevin: 18/59 = .305
Ami: 15/59 = .254
Sarah: 15/59 = .254
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HODGEPODGE $400: There's a word for a Central European monarch in the name of this type of roll

HODGEPODGE $600: It was the "conservative" starting position played by the NHL's Brett Hull & Gordie Howe
(Ami: What is defenseman?)

IF THE BEES WENT AWAY... $400: Bees increase the quality of the fibers taken from this "Fabric of Our Lives" plant
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

IF THE BEES WENT AWAY... $800: No bees means no more natural honey, and perhaps no more this Middle Eastern pastry

TIME FOR SECONDS $1600: Larger than Alaska, the second-largest rainforest is this one, named for the river that runs through it

SHAKESPEARE IN THE PARK $2000: In this revenge play, Marcus says he found Lavinia "straying in the park, seeking to hide herself, as doth the deer"
(Ami: What is Coriolanus?)

TRANSLATE THE LANGUAGE $1200: Erse, AKA Gaeilge
(Ami: What is Scottish?)

AROUND THE PACIFIC $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) The belt stretching 25,000 miles from New Zealand through Japan and the Aleutian islands to South America is actually horseshoe-shaped, but best-known by this three-word description

HIP-HOP & R&B 2017 $800: "To The Max" was a hit for DJ Khaled & this "Degrassi"-starring Canadian
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Boston Tea Party
a brown gown
the Forest of Arden
Icelandic
"The Star-Spangled Banner"
helium
Navajo
Papua New Guinea
"Ballad Of John And Yokohama"
Ecuador
the Endurance
Tennessee Ernie Ford
Sir Ernest Rutherford
Hermitage
kaiser
right wing
cotton
baklava
the Congo
Titus Andronicus
Gaelic (or Irish)
the Ring of Fire
Drake
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL HOMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Originally called Rural Retreat, this 19th century presidential home has a name that’s a synonym for “retreat”

Ami Li: 4400+4399=8799
Kevin Foley: 15200+800=16000 (New Champ)
Sarah Walsh: 800-800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Hermitage (Sarah – Peacefield)

Daily Doubles
Ami: 3000+1000
Sarah: 5000-5000
Kevin: 11200+4000

Coryats
Ami: 4000
Kevin: 12800
Sarah: 5800

Combined: 22,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Ami: 7600
Kevin: 4400
Sarah: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The combined scores for the players at the end of the J! round was $17,000 while going into the FJ! round it was $20,400 with the DJ! round in between no so good.

Alex & the judges twice had to accept an alternate response.

RHYME TIME FASHION $1000:
A detachable shirt front once worn with tuxedos that was perplexing & difficult to deal with

Alex was looking for tricky dickey while the judges gave a thumbs up to Sarah’s picky dickey.

IF THE BEES WENT AWAY $1000:
Beef & dairy shortages? Bees are crucial for plants like alfalfa, used as this 6-letter type of food for cattle

Kevin had fodder and Alex also named forage as acceptable.

PRESIDENTIAL HOMES as a category does not come up often as I only found these clues:
Spoiler
Jeopardy! Round, Double Jeopardy! Round, or Tiebreaker Round clues (9 results returned)
#7480, aired 2017-03-03 PRESIDENTIAL HOMES $200: In 1981 he hosted a barbecue for Seabees who helped renovate his Rancho del Cielo into the Western White House
#7480, aired 2017-03-03 PRESIDENTIAL HOMES $400: This home was named by the president's half-brother for his commanding officer in the British navy
#7480, aired 2017-03-03 PRESIDENTIAL HOMES $1000: In Marion in this state you can stand on the front porch for which Warren Harding's laid-back 1920 campaign is named
#7480, aired 2017-03-03 PRESIDENTIAL HOMES $1,200 (Daily Double): Considering himself to be a political outlaw, John Tyler named his plantation this for a wooded area in Nottinghamshire
#969, aired 1988-11-17 PRESIDENTIAL HOMES $200: Rancho del Cielo
#969, aired 1988-11-17 PRESIDENTIAL HOMES $400: La Casa Pacifica
#969, aired 1988-11-17 PRESIDENTIAL HOMES $600: The Hermitage
#969, aired 1988-11-17 PRESIDENTIAL HOMES $800: The Elms
#969, aired 1988-11-17 PRESIDENTIAL HOMES $1000: Hickory Hill, which he later sold to his brother
A search term using the president’s last name and the home turns up a lot more results.

For the FJ! round it’s not as if 45 different homes are in play. Mount Vernon? No. That’s 18th century. Monticello? No, but it’s a better guess than no guess. Lincoln’s home? There’s no famous name that I know of for him. I rejected Madison’s Montpelier and trying the sequential route from there I was shortly done.

I felt confident I was right although Alex’s remarks after the music and before going to Sarah were not as assuring as I would have liked.

For Kevin, “You load sixteen tons, what do you get? Not a correct response for the singer, but he does get $16,000 in winnings.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:57 am
Beef & dairy shortages? Bees are crucial for plants like alfalfa, used as this 6-letter type of food for cattle

I would have gone with "silage" which looks like it also works.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nothing for me on FJ, put down Monticello just to have something. One I should have gotten, given the limited number of 19th century presidential homes whose names are generally known.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bastille was a prison? Never would've guessed that.

Don't recognize Gary Oldman's name at all, so I had that down as an 0/5 before any clues came up.

I didn't realize "prohibition" applied to all forms of stopping alcohol.

No recognition on Around the Pacific at all except Ring of Fire.

Clammed on Bruno Mars because I didn't think he was considered R&B.

Andrew Jackson did come to mind, but I honestly didn't know his house was called Hermitage.

Lach Trash: Star-Spangled Banner, Tennessee Ernie Ford
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Would "best vest" have been acceptable instead of "better sweater"?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:36 pm Would "best vest" have been acceptable instead of "better sweater"?
I bet they'd accept it. The clue was A SUPERIOR KNITTED PULLOVER. "Pullover" generally refers to a sweater, but I think it can refer to a vest. "Superior" points more to a comparative (better) than a superlative (best). But "best" isn't outright wrong.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Fox 31, if you're going to preempt J! for a College Football bowl game, at least have the decency to air it some other time :x
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

Gary Oldman (4), Rhyme Time (0), Historic Dates (5), 3 I's (1), Hodgepodge (3), Bees (1)
Hip Hop/R&B (2), Shakespeare (0), Pacific (5), Translate (3), Seconds (5), Ernest (3)

Lach Trash: "Star-Spangled Banner", helium, Papua New Guinea, Yokohama, Ecuador, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Ernest Rutherford

Before the clue was revealed, I was thinking of Mount Vernon, Monticello, and the Hermitage; aside from the century involved,
nothing rang a bell, so I settled on the Hermitage.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

37 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Brown Gown, Helium, (Forest of Arden), Navajo, Papua New Guinea, Yokohama, Ecuador, Endurance, Ernest Rutherford
Douglas Squasoni
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Finishing my mini-binge of J! to catch up after the holiday.

R: 23, W: 1 costing 1000
FJ: :(
Coryat: 14,800
LT: Star-Spangled Banner, helium

in FJ, I knew enough to reject Mount Vernon and Monticello, but couldn't come up with any alternatives. Wrote down "Camp David" knowing it was almost certainly wrong.

PS - I'm kind of glad we didn't see those last three hip hop & R&B clues. Kept me from really embarrassing myself.
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So was anyone else thrown by Bruno Mars being in an R&B category? I always thought he was considered pop, and that modern R&B was pretty much the same thing as modern rap (for instance, Jason Derulo).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:12 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:57 am

I would have gone with "silage" which looks like it also works.
Not on our planet here in the Midwest. I think none of the writers are farmers, and neither am I but I have paid my dues hauling alfafa bales for a whopping 2 cents per bale (1970 prices). Alfalfa is a cash crop, not a pasture grass that I would associate with "foraging" and I don't think the animals touch the fields, even after the final cut.
Silage is rarely made in our parts now, but was generally the green waste from corn (or sorghum) harvesting. I actually own a 32 foot concrete silo that I still don't know how to repurpose. Would love to have it attract bats, but it has no dome on it. And I don't know what a belfry is, lol..

I didn't realize the game went that far off the rails in Double Jeopardy. Too bad about Sarah's tough TDD after making a bold bet.
I was able to get to Hermitage in time, almost surrendering after going through Monticello, Mount Vernon, and Montpelier. Clever wordplay that I didn't know about for another great clue by the judges.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

The spate of...inconsistent...FJ! wagering continues with Ami risking $1000 (less taxes) in real cash money for no reason. It didn't cost her, so whatever, I guess. The Hermitage seems like something I have probably heard about but apparently didn't make a dent in my consciousness.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Great game for picking up lach trash.
I had brown gown, Star Spangled Banner, helium, Yokohama, Endurance, Tennessee Ernie Ford
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

A few people complained about the “picky dickie” accept, my wife actually complained about “Gaelic” being accepted for “Irish”. I think this is because her mom comes from a Gaelic background so “the Gaelic language” only means “Scots Gaelic” to her. Even though I’m not as fiercely Scottish as she is, I did raise an eyebrow at it but begrudgingly understood the reasoning.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:11 pm So was anyone else thrown by Bruno Mars being in an R&B category? I always thought he was considered pop, and that modern R&B was pretty much the same thing as modern rap (for instance, Jason Derulo).
"Pop" is a slippery, winking chimera of a genre description. Motown was R&B/Soul, but was it any less "Pop" than the Beatles or Bobby Darin? Do the Beach Boys, Billy Joel, Michael Jackson, or Katy Perry, really sound anything alike? Is one more or less "Pop" than the others?
I would prefer not to.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:11 pm So was anyone else thrown by Bruno Mars being in an R&B category? I always thought he was considered pop, and that modern R&B was pretty much the same thing as modern rap (for instance, Jason Derulo).
No. Beyond "That's What I Like" being very much R&B (as well as "Versace on the Floor", just looking at singles from his current album; I'll grant "24K Magic" is more disco pop), Jason Derulo is not that much "more" R&B than Bruno (exhibit A: "Want to Want Me"; exhibit B: "Trumpets", both sound very much like a Bruno song would).

Basically at this point, R&B, pop, and country have all combined into one master genre with no discernible characteristics (exhibit A: "Body Like a Back Road" becoming a pop hit; exhibit B: "Meant to Be", decidedly NOT a country song in any way, shape, or form, rising the country airplay charts just because FGL is on it).