Thursday, December 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:58 am

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:58 am

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:23 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRADITIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This list of 12 may have been inspired by a biblical garment decorated in 4 rows, the top being sardius, topaz & carbuncle

Kevin Foley: 9200+7199=16399
Vaishali Shetty: 1000-1000=0
Travis Rojakovick: 12500+5950=18450 (New Champ)

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
birthstones (Vaishali – twelve days of Christmas)

Daily Doubles
Kevin: 1200+1000
Travis: 7600+2000
Travis: 12400+100

Coryats
Kevin: 9000
Vaishali: 1000
Travis: 12800

Combined: 22.800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Kevin: 6400
Vaishali: 2200
Travis:5600

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:23 am

Another plural ending problem with Lonelyheart only having 11 letters.

The game should come with a warning for Doctor Who fans with the photo of the actor leading to a TS clue.

I’ll take a solve on the FJ! clue any way I can get it including 35%-45% on the confidence meter. It’s the FJ! round and I get to write something down. I did and I got lucky.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:15 pm

List of 12, starting with 3 precious stones? Must be the 12 tribes!

:oops:

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:15 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:15 pm
List of 12, starting with 3 precious stones? Must be the 12 tribes!

:oops:
I considered the same, although I didn't see any connection with the list of the tribes as a "tradition." I also landed on Twelve Days of Christmas, even though I couldn't see any connection with the gems or biblical garment (figuring that the writers were going for a seasonal theme).

"Traditions" seems overly vague as a category heading, but maybe this was simply a case of overthinking an otherwise easy clue, i.e., 12 gemstones so WECIB?

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 pm

This FJ was one of those that seemed so easy once I saw "topaz" that I wondered if I was missing something obvious.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Should have been obvious. Wasn't.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:56 pm

So the clue that wanted "...THE ROLLING STONES FACED 'EXILE' HERE." Think I could've gotten away with "What is Main Street?" I was really iffy on the preposition. I knew "from" was wrong, but waffled between "in" and "on". I think I would've swung the right way, but I'm not sure.

Ran the UNREAL MINISTRIES category. Glad Brazil wasn't a stand and stare. Great movie.

Only got two of the four revealed in the composers category. That's normally a wheelhouse. For the string quartets dedicated to Haydn, I went with Beethoven instead of Mozart. I just didn't recall Mozart writing any string quartets. I guess 1785 was slightly too early for Ludwig, though. He turned 15 that year. I don't think he was a child prodigy the way Wolfie was.

Also blanked on the alliterative Russian composer that Rimsky-Korsakov dedicated a piece to. I ran through the big 5--Rimsky-Korsakov, Alexander Borodin (both mentioned in the clue), Mily Balakirev, Cesar Cui, and....? On a DD I would've said Cui and hoped that it alliterated better in Russian. Forgot about ole Modest Mussorgsky.

First thought for FJ was the tribes of Israel. I was able to get past that pretty quickly and land on the correct response.

Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:58 pm

R: 22, W: 2 costing 1600
LT: Orkneys
Coryat: 12800
FJ: :mrgreen:

Missed a second LT by one letter - recalled the equine hybrid as a "whinney" rather than a "hinney".

I went straight to birthstones on FJ, then spent the rest of the think music trying to figure out why that seemed too easy and what I missed. Couldn't see what I missed, so wrote it down.

I felt a bit bad for Vishali, it looked like she just couldn't get the hang of the buzzer to get in and answer. I fully expected her to head to the law category at the first opportunity, and she didn't disappoint. But she didn't get much of a chance to answer due to Travis' speed with the buzzer.

The writers were headed to a win in the DJ! round with 8 TS clues by my [often wrong] count. I have no doubt at least one - and maybe both - of the missed clues would have been another TS, giving the writers almost 1/3 of the board. I had a hard time with the two bottom rows in that round, only knowing the Orkney islands (and nothing about the rest of that clue). The players were 4/10 on the revealed clues in the bottom rows.
--Peter

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:00 pm

I managed to convince myself that the gems (never heard of sardius though) were pointing to birthstones, and that I wasn't missing anything. Was fully prepared to kick (and punch and curse) myself if it was the 12 days of Xmas.
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:23 am
The game should come with a warning for Doctor Who fans with the photo of the actor leading to a TS clue.
I remember laughing at the writers every time a Doctor Who question was in the bottom row. "Oh come on, a picture of the 12th Doctor for 2000? Gimme a bre--" *crickets* Oh well. (As an aside, I'll really miss 12. That three-parter at the end of season 9 was probably the best set of episodes of the entire new series so far. We'll see what 13 brings to the table.)
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vowela
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Vowela » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Four rows of three? That's gotta' be the Zodiac, right? Whoops, no, guess it isn't :oops:.

It wasn't until after the tuxedo clue that I realized the category was "inn" and not just "in." Almost surprised no one went for the penguin suit negbait. I did :oops:.

It looked like someone forgot for a split second that they don't like close-ups on daily doubles. That daily double took me by surprise :lol:.

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:39 pm

My family and I watched Local Hero, which I've always loved, after dinner on Christmas, so I was very ready to get Peter Capaldi on tonight's show. I even mentioned to them that he had been the latest doctor before the current female one. Sometimes I remember his name, sometimes I don't, but it did come to me while I was watching the movie and was still there for tonight. :D
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

DBear

Post by DBear » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:46 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Also blanked on the alliterative Russian composer that Rimsky-Korsakov dedicated a piece to. I ran through the big 5--Rimsky-Korsakov, Alexander Borodin (both mentioned in the clue), Mily Balakirev, Cesar Cui, and....? On a DD I would've said Cui and hoped that it alliterated better in Russian. Forgot about ole Modest Mussorgsky.

Locked in on Bela Bartok and never looked back.
FJ thinking of holidays, took a few seconds to switch gears and get to the correct response.

clprez

Post by clprez » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Boy that word within a word category took a long time to explain, and it took me 3 clues before I finally got it. I don't usually do well on word-play clues anyway.

I guess correctly for FJ just based on WECIB. Wasn't really sure, and I only knew topaz, and not the other two items.

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Good game, Travis. I thought Kevin was scoring consistently and surprised to see he couldn't catch up.

I wrongly assign a generic Biblical clue to mean Old Testament, especially if it goes into detail about fashion, construction, dietary issues, etc everyday life stuff. So why would there be any twelve days of Christmas connections if Jesus isn't born yet?
Anyway, topaz took me to birthstones with lots of doubts. Were there 12 months at the time (September, October, November and December are 7,8,9, and 10 after all)? Nothing Biblical can be connected to the Zodiac can it? Thank you topaz, for being a birthstone and number 8 on the Moh's hardness scale about 18 centuries later.

I am somewhat surprised about the FJ polling so high with the boardies so far. There has to be many other things it could be.

I hope they forget the word within a clue category. The guesses were easy and direct, but I couldn't get from "lane", the obvious choice to a celestial object except the plane of the ecliptic.
- All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford (Winner of Nobel price in CHEMISTRY)-
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:10 pm

clprez wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:07 pm
Boy that word within a word category took a long time to explain, and it took me 3 clues before I finally got it. I don't usually do well on word-play clues anyway.
It was an awkward category, no question about that, but you could get most, if not all, of the answers just from the first part of the clue. Since you didn't actually need to give the longer word as well, the whole "word within a word" conceit was basically unnecessary. Seems like it did nothing but confuse the contestants.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Turns out my call for the Boaty category (after it was determined to be based on the actual ROV and not a joke category) was the answer for the J!6, so no idea what that $2k clue might have been.

Abridged, "The naturalist Boaty's parent vessel is named after."
SpoilerShow
Sir David Attenborough
Instafinal. "12? Topaz? Birthstones. WECIB?"

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:39 pm

I KNEW autonomous felt way too easy a get...(even despite knowing the root words)
Volante wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:45 pm
Woof wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:44 pm
What, no Boaty McBoatface? I demand a recount! :lol:
Oh, right, that's back in the news!

Boaty McBoatface (now a 3.5m long autonomous submarine) is en route to science in Antarctica

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:34 pm

Why was this board so ungodly difficult?!

Law Dictionary was miles over my head.

Saw no way to figure out what the beignet would be the donut of. Could be any state.

Recognized none of the play titles either.

Also don't recognize "59th Street Song" at all.

What was the TOM for oceanography at $400?

Minipax = ministry of peace? No idea how you figure this out.

I got to "buccaneer" but was unable to find a walking aid in it. I got stuck on "walker".

Also saw no way to figure out "Chopin" at $400.

I couldn't think of any traditions with 12, so I was high and dry here. I don't think of birthstones as a tradition.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent