Thursday, December 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7664, 2017-12-28

CONTESTANTS
Travis Rojakovick, an equity analyst from Nashville, Tennessee
Vaishali Shetty, an attorney from Melville, New York
Kevin Foley, a police captain from Mount Sinai, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Good audience here today. Captain, good to have you back with us on the program. Vaishali and Travis, welcome aboard and pick up those signaling devices. Hopefully, you'll get to use them often in this first round. Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OFFICIAL STATE STUFF (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STREET MUSIC (5/5)
ACCORDING TO BLACK'S LAW DICTIONARY (5/5)
PLAYWRONGS (3/5) (Alex: You have to correct each title that we kind of messed up a bit on.)
GET "INN" HERE (4/5)
NOW GET OUT! (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kevin: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Travis: 9 R, 1 W
Vaishali: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kevin found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Kevin had $1,200, Vaishali had $1,800, and Travis was at $2,400. Kevin wagered $1,000.

OFFICIAL STATE STUFF $800: Who's a good boy? This Maryland state dog, named for a nearby body of water--yes, you are

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Travis: $3,400
Kevin: $3,000
Vaishali: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Travis Rojakovick is his name, and he plays in a 1980s baseball--

Travis: 1860s. Even further back.

Alex: What?

Travis: Yeah, and we play--it's a very different game. No gloves, underhand pitching, no called balls or strikes. It's just a lot of middle-aged guys having a lot of fun, so it's a good time.

Alex: Terrific.

Alex: Vaishali Shetty from Melville, New York, is an attorney who has a fear of heights. And yet you did something kind of brave.

Vaishali: Yes. I went hot air ballooning while I was in Turkey, over in an area of Turkey called Cappadocia, which really, there's no other way of experiencing other than a hot air balloon. So I'm not over my fear of heights, necessarily, but--

Alex: But you weren't in the balloon alone. There was an operator. There were other passengers. And that should have made you feel more secure. Did it?

Vaishali: It did. It was worth it.

Alex: Okay. That's great.

Alex: Kevin Foley is our champion, folks. He's a police captain who has worked for the Suffolk Police Department for how many years?

Kevin: 34 years, Alex.

Alex: And you are also a member of an elite group.

Kevin: Well, I don't know if it's elite. But the Brotherhood--

Alex: Special. Special group.

Kevin: Special. There's seven chapters around the United States right now, and what we do is when an officer is killed in the line of duty, makes the ultimate sacrifice, someone from each of the seven or eight chapters, they fly to the funeral and make the family aware that they're not by themselves.

Alex: That's why we always see police officers from different parts of the country at the funerals for our special guys.

Kevin: Yes. Yes.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GET "INN" HERE $1000: Bred from a male horse & a female donkey, it's smaller and has smaller ears than a mule

NOW GET OUT! $800: Asked to leave, you may get your marching orders or these blanking blanks

PLAYWRONGS $800: "Stock Characters in Search of an Author"

PLAYWRONGS $1000: "The Lady's Not for Beaming"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kevin: $6,400
Travis: $5,600
Vaishali: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EUROPEAN HISTORY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ONLY THE LONELY (3/5)
FIND IT ON THE INSIDE (3/5) (Alex: The correct response will be a shorter word that is found inside the clue. For instance, if I said "A feline inside a teacher", the correct response will be, "What is cat?" Because you find "cat" in "educator".)
A DEDICATED COMPOSER (2/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
UNREAL MINISTRIES (4/5)
BOATY McBOATFACE (2/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Travis: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
Kevin: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Vaishali: 1 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 10
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $16,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Travis snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Kevin had $6,000, Vaishali had $2,600, and Travis was at $7,600. Travis wagered $2,000.

EUROPEAN HISTORY $1200: Albania became majority Muslim during its 500-year occupation by this empire

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Travis who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Kevin had $9,200, Vaishali had $1,000, and Travis was at $12,400. Travis wagered $100.

A DEDICATED COMPOSER $1200: In 1785 he dedicated a set of 6 string quartets to the much older Joseph Haydn

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ONLY THE LONELY $1600: This 12-letter word often followed "Miss" in romantic advice column titles
(Kevin: What is Lonelyheart?)
(Alex: Yes. No, sorry. We have to rule against you. It's Miss [*], not Miss Lonelyheart. But you maintain control of the board. Go again.)

ONLY THE LONELY $2000: This 1940 novel was originally called "The Mute"

EUROPEAN HISTORY $2000: In 1967, after a military takeover by Colonel George Papadopoulos, this Greek king fled to Italy

UNREAL MINISTRIES $2000: Before he was the 12th Doctor, this actor tormented the staff of the Minister for Social Affairs on "The Thick of It"

FIND IT ON THE INSIDE $1600: A noisemaker inside an extra large cremini mushroom
(Alex: Mushroom is portobello, so we're looking for [*].)

FIND IT ON THE INSIDE $2000: A narrow road inside a type of celestial body
(Alex: What is [*]? Which you find in planet.)

BOATY McBOATFACE $1200: Boaty is defined as this kind of ship, from the Greek for "self-ruled", & can travel far from its parent vessel

BOATY McBOATFACE $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Boaty measured Antarctic currents near the southern island group that shares its name with an archipelago off northern Scotland called this
(Kevin: What is the Hebrides?)
(Travis: What are the Shetlands?)

A DEDICATED COMPOSER $800: Bruckner laid it on thick in a dedication to this German "world famous noble master of poetry & music"

A DEDICATED COMPOSER $1600: Rimsky-Korsakov dedicated his Russian Easter Overture to Borodin & this alliterative composer
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Travis: $12,500
Kevin: $9,200
Vaishali: $1,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRADITIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Travis: Wager $5,901 to cover Kevin, but no more than $10,499 so as not to fall behind Vaishali's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $3,901.
Kevin: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,600 (martian), and you'll win the game if Travis wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Vaishali: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This list of 12 may have been inspired by a Biblical garment decorated in 4 rows, the top being sardius, topaz & carbuncle

FINAL SCORES
Vaishali: $1,000 - $1,000 = $0 (What the Twelve Days of Christmas?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kevin: $9,200 + $7,199 = $16,399 (What are birthstones?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Travis: $12,500 + $5,950 = $18,450 (What are birthstones?) (New champion: $18,450)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $20,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Travis: $12,800, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Kevin: $9,000, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Vaishali: $1,000, 6 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $22,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Kevin: 20/59 = .339
Travis: 20/60 = .333
Vaishali: 6/58 = .103
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OFFICIAL STATE STUFF $1000: Utah has an official cooking pot, this national-named item

PLAYWRONGS $200: "Rosencrantz and Morgenstern Are Dead"
(Travis: Who is Tom Stoppard?)
(Vaishali: What is Hamlet?)

ONLY THE LONELY $1200: "The Lonely Bull" was the hit debut for this man & his band

UNREAL MINISTRIES $1600: The Ministry of Information Retrieval may or may not be in South America in this 1985 dystopian film
(Vaishali: What is Blade Runner?)

FIND IT ON THE INSIDE $400: A walking aid inside another word for a pirate
(Alex: You find it in buccaneer.)

FIND IT ON THE INSIDE $800: A shopping complex inside a contagious viral killer of old
(Kevin: What is [*]?)
(Alex: You got 'em both.)

FIND IT ON THE INSIDE $1200: An insect home inside little green things atop a baked potato
(Alex: For chives, yes.)

BOATY McBOATFACE $800: Boaty isn't a submarine, or boat, for that matter, but this type of sub that's remotely operated and used to explore

A DEDICATED COMPOSER $400: This Polish-born master dedicated a concerto to Friedrich Kalkbrenner, whom he called Europe's best pianist
(Kevin: Who is Liszt?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a Chesapeake Bay retriever
a hinny
your walking papers
Six Characters in Search of an Author
The Lady's Not for Burning
the Ottoman Empire
Mozart
Lonelyhearts
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
King Constantine
Peter Capaldi
a bell
a lane
autonomous
the Orkney Islands
Wagner
Modest Mussorgsky
birthstones
a Dutch oven
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Herb Alpert
Brazil
a cane
smallpox or mall
a hive
a submersible
Chopin
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRADITIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This list of 12 may have been inspired by a biblical garment decorated in 4 rows, the top being sardius, topaz & carbuncle

Kevin Foley: 9200+7199=16399
Vaishali Shetty: 1000-1000=0
Travis Rojakovick: 12500+5950=18450 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
birthstones (Vaishali – twelve days of Christmas)

Daily Doubles
Kevin: 1200+1000
Travis: 7600+2000
Travis: 12400+100

Coryats
Kevin: 9000
Vaishali: 1000
Travis: 12800

Combined: 22.800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Kevin: 6400
Vaishali: 2200
Travis:5600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another plural ending problem with Lonelyheart only having 11 letters.

The game should come with a warning for Doctor Who fans with the photo of the actor leading to a TS clue.

I’ll take a solve on the FJ! clue any way I can get it including 35%-45% on the confidence meter. It’s the FJ! round and I get to write something down. I did and I got lucky.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

List of 12, starting with 3 precious stones? Must be the 12 tribes!

:oops:
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:15 pm List of 12, starting with 3 precious stones? Must be the 12 tribes!

:oops:
I considered the same, although I didn't see any connection with the list of the tribes as a "tradition." I also landed on Twelve Days of Christmas, even though I couldn't see any connection with the gems or biblical garment (figuring that the writers were going for a seasonal theme).

"Traditions" seems overly vague as a category heading, but maybe this was simply a case of overthinking an otherwise easy clue, i.e., 12 gemstones so WECIB?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This FJ was one of those that seemed so easy once I saw "topaz" that I wondered if I was missing something obvious.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Should have been obvious. Wasn't.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

So the clue that wanted "...THE ROLLING STONES FACED 'EXILE' HERE." Think I could've gotten away with "What is Main Street?" I was really iffy on the preposition. I knew "from" was wrong, but waffled between "in" and "on". I think I would've swung the right way, but I'm not sure.

Ran the UNREAL MINISTRIES category. Glad Brazil wasn't a stand and stare. Great movie.

Only got two of the four revealed in the composers category. That's normally a wheelhouse. For the string quartets dedicated to Haydn, I went with Beethoven instead of Mozart. I just didn't recall Mozart writing any string quartets. I guess 1785 was slightly too early for Ludwig, though. He turned 15 that year. I don't think he was a child prodigy the way Wolfie was.

Also blanked on the alliterative Russian composer that Rimsky-Korsakov dedicated a piece to. I ran through the big 5--Rimsky-Korsakov, Alexander Borodin (both mentioned in the clue), Mily Balakirev, Cesar Cui, and....? On a DD I would've said Cui and hoped that it alliterated better in Russian. Forgot about ole Modest Mussorgsky.

First thought for FJ was the tribes of Israel. I was able to get past that pretty quickly and land on the correct response.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 22, W: 2 costing 1600
LT: Orkneys
Coryat: 12800
FJ: :mrgreen:

Missed a second LT by one letter - recalled the equine hybrid as a "whinney" rather than a "hinney".

I went straight to birthstones on FJ, then spent the rest of the think music trying to figure out why that seemed too easy and what I missed. Couldn't see what I missed, so wrote it down.

I felt a bit bad for Vishali, it looked like she just couldn't get the hang of the buzzer to get in and answer. I fully expected her to head to the law category at the first opportunity, and she didn't disappoint. But she didn't get much of a chance to answer due to Travis' speed with the buzzer.

The writers were headed to a win in the DJ! round with 8 TS clues by my [often wrong] count. I have no doubt at least one - and maybe both - of the missed clues would have been another TS, giving the writers almost 1/3 of the board. I had a hard time with the two bottom rows in that round, only knowing the Orkney islands (and nothing about the rest of that clue). The players were 4/10 on the revealed clues in the bottom rows.
--Peter
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I managed to convince myself that the gems (never heard of sardius though) were pointing to birthstones, and that I wasn't missing anything. Was fully prepared to kick (and punch and curse) myself if it was the 12 days of Xmas.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:23 am The game should come with a warning for Doctor Who fans with the photo of the actor leading to a TS clue.
I remember laughing at the writers every time a Doctor Who question was in the bottom row. "Oh come on, a picture of the 12th Doctor for 2000? Gimme a bre--" *crickets* Oh well. (As an aside, I'll really miss 12. That three-parter at the end of season 9 was probably the best set of episodes of the entire new series so far. We'll see what 13 brings to the table.)
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Four rows of three? That's gotta' be the Zodiac, right? Whoops, no, guess it isn't :oops:.

It wasn't until after the tuxedo clue that I realized the category was "inn" and not just "in." Almost surprised no one went for the penguin suit negbait. I did :oops:.

It looked like someone forgot for a split second that they don't like close-ups on daily doubles. That daily double took me by surprise :lol:.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

My family and I watched Local Hero, which I've always loved, after dinner on Christmas, so I was very ready to get Peter Capaldi on tonight's show. I even mentioned to them that he had been the latest doctor before the current female one. Sometimes I remember his name, sometimes I don't, but it did come to me while I was watching the movie and was still there for tonight. :D
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Also blanked on the alliterative Russian composer that Rimsky-Korsakov dedicated a piece to. I ran through the big 5--Rimsky-Korsakov, Alexander Borodin (both mentioned in the clue), Mily Balakirev, Cesar Cui, and....? On a DD I would've said Cui and hoped that it alliterated better in Russian. Forgot about ole Modest Mussorgsky.

Locked in on Bela Bartok and never looked back.
FJ thinking of holidays, took a few seconds to switch gears and get to the correct response.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Boy that word within a word category took a long time to explain, and it took me 3 clues before I finally got it. I don't usually do well on word-play clues anyway.

I guess correctly for FJ just based on WECIB. Wasn't really sure, and I only knew topaz, and not the other two items.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Good game, Travis. I thought Kevin was scoring consistently and surprised to see he couldn't catch up.

I wrongly assign a generic Biblical clue to mean Old Testament, especially if it goes into detail about fashion, construction, dietary issues, etc everyday life stuff. So why would there be any twelve days of Christmas connections if Jesus isn't born yet?
Anyway, topaz took me to birthstones with lots of doubts. Were there 12 months at the time (September, October, November and December are 7,8,9, and 10 after all)? Nothing Biblical can be connected to the Zodiac can it? Thank you topaz, for being a birthstone and number 8 on the Moh's hardness scale about 18 centuries later.

I am somewhat surprised about the FJ polling so high with the boardies so far. There has to be many other things it could be.

I hope they forget the word within a clue category. The guesses were easy and direct, but I couldn't get from "lane", the obvious choice to a celestial object except the plane of the ecliptic.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

clprez wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:07 pm Boy that word within a word category took a long time to explain, and it took me 3 clues before I finally got it. I don't usually do well on word-play clues anyway.
It was an awkward category, no question about that, but you could get most, if not all, of the answers just from the first part of the clue. Since you didn't actually need to give the longer word as well, the whole "word within a word" conceit was basically unnecessary. Seems like it did nothing but confuse the contestants.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Turns out my call for the Boaty category (after it was determined to be based on the actual ROV and not a joke category) was the answer for the J!6, so no idea what that $2k clue might have been.

Abridged, "The naturalist Boaty's parent vessel is named after."
Spoiler
Sir David Attenborough
Instafinal. "12? Topaz? Birthstones. WECIB?"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I KNEW autonomous felt way too easy a get...(even despite knowing the root words)
Volante wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:45 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:44 pm What, no Boaty McBoatface? I demand a recount! :lol:
Oh, right, that's back in the news!

Boaty McBoatface (now a 3.5m long autonomous submarine) is en route to science in Antarctica
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why was this board so ungodly difficult?!

Law Dictionary was miles over my head.

Saw no way to figure out what the beignet would be the donut of. Could be any state.

Recognized none of the play titles either.

Also don't recognize "59th Street Song" at all.

What was the TOM for oceanography at $400?

Minipax = ministry of peace? No idea how you figure this out.

I got to "buccaneer" but was unable to find a walking aid in it. I got stuck on "walker".

Also saw no way to figure out "Chopin" at $400.

I couldn't think of any traditions with 12, so I was high and dry here. I don't think of birthstones as a tradition.