Thursday, December 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Thursday, December 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MattKnowles »

I went 4/4 on big clues but had an average game otherwise.

I learned the definition of probate court from browsing the archive recently but missed the clue tonight when I tried to stretch it out into probation. I believe the clue asked for the name of the action certifying a will. Not those exact words. I thought the rest of the law dictionary category was pretty easy except for squatter which seemed like it might be a slang term instead of the official legal term.

I guessed Hebrides then tried Shetland on the rebound. I found this map helpful after the game:

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The word "birthstone" escaped me, and the best I could muster was "gemstones of the months." I think they'd let me get away with that.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:56 pm So the clue that wanted "...THE ROLLING STONES FACED 'EXILE' HERE." Think I could've gotten away with "What is Main Street?"
Fully acceptable in my book.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:34 pm Saw no way to figure out what the beignet would be the donut of. Could be any state.
It should be the doughnut of every state.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:34 pm Saw no way to figure out what the beignet would be the donut of. Could be any state.
If you don't know that beignets are a distinctive New Orleans treat, that clue would be a toughie. I wouldn't recommend ringing in. On a DD, you might WAG Louisiana based on the French connection.

Another distinctive New Orleans treat worth remembering (and sampling) is the praline. Made with pecans. Yum.

A third distinctive New Orleans treat would be Bananas Foster, a dessert of bananas drenched in butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, rum, and banana liqueur, placed on top of vanilla ice cream and ignited (usually tableside). Invented at Brennan's restaurant which may be New Orleans' most famous restaurant. (But if someone wants to argue for Antoine's, I won't fight over it.)

And that's just the desserts. In my opinion, the New Orleans area has hands down the best local cuisine in the entire US of A.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:47 pm I went 4/4 on big clues but had an average game otherwise.

I learned the definition of probate court from browsing the archive recently but missed the clue tonight when I tried to stretch it out into probation. I believe the clue asked for the name of the action certifying a will. Not those exact words. I thought the rest of the law dictionary category was pretty easy except for squatter which seemed like it might be a slang term instead of the official legal term.

I guessed Hebrides then tried Shetland on the rebound. I found this map helpful after the game:
Spoiler
Or this image!
(Anything Boaty I can spit out ends up giving me a grin that actually hurts my face...I'll settle down by tomorrow.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:47 pm I went 4/4 on big clues but had an average game otherwise.
===
probate is a civil matter to establish the validity of a will. probation is a criminal matter where the convict may avoid incarceration subject to compliance with certain conditions.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Volante wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:26 am

Spoiler
Or this image!
(Anything Boaty I can spit out ends up giving me a grin that actually hurts my face...I'll settle down by tomorrow.)

I did the Antarctica, S. Georgia & Malvinas/Falklands itinerary earlier this year & I was SURE tonight's answer was S. Shetlands. Oh well. I was rooting for Kevin again since he seems like a good guy & he lives & works in my old county (Go Suffolk!) but the new guy seems sharp too! Easy FJ again.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore’s Conjecture. The second-place player bet “small.” —Bob
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

econgator wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:31 pm Should have been obvious. Wasn't.
Yup.

Topaz is my birthstone.
earendel

Post by earendel »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 pm Nothing Biblical can be connected to the Zodiac can it?
Not definitely, but there is a lot of astrological speculation. Here are two articles - they don't even agree on which tribe of Israel gets associated with which zodiac sign.

http://www.usbible.com/Astrology/stars_of_israel.htm

http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/472
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dinghammer wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:54 am Topaz is my birthstone.

Mine's sapphire. Why are we whispering?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:15 pm List of 12, starting with 3 precious stones? Must be the 12 tribes!

:oops:
You are so close!

Let me say that one of my guilty pleasures is watching the show "Ancient Aliens." Just last week they aired a show on the Ark of the Covenant, focusing on the power it had (according to OT accounts), even killing people who came too close to it without protection.

The protection that is mentioned in the ancient texts was a garment worn by the high priest when he would go into the presence of the Ark. It was decorated (?) with twelve precious or semiprecious stones (presumably each one representing one of the tribes). This garment would allow him to enter the Holy of Holies without being killed.

Seems as if, from this came the concept of twelve birthstones.

I'm not 100% sure I would have gotten this FJ without that weird factoid. Possibly. But I did get it in this game. As many people have said, you learn stuff from all over that may come in handy if you ever get to play J!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

John Boy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:18 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:15 pm List of 12, starting with 3 precious stones? Must be the 12 tribes!

:oops:
You are so close!

Let me say that one of my guilty pleasures is watching the show "Ancient Aliens." Just last week they aired a show on the Ark of the Covenant, focusing on the power it had (according to OT accounts), even killing people who came too close to it without protection.

The protection that is mentioned in the ancient texts was a garment worn by the high priest when he would go into the presence of the Ark. It was decorated (?) with twelve precious or semiprecious stones (presumably each one representing one of the tribes). This garment would allow him to enter the Holy of Holies without being killed.

Seems as if, from this came the concept of twelve birthstones.

I'm not 100% sure I would have gotten this FJ without that weird factoid. Possibly. But I did get it in this game. As many people have said, you learn stuff from all over that may come in handy if you ever get to play J!

Other groups of 12 (Zodiac etc.) may make some sense but almost certainly weren't mentioned in the Bible.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I thought the stones mentioned in FJ just described color on the garment and weren't actual stones. Plus, my kids are so obssessed with the "Steven Universe" cartoon and its emphasis on gems and minerals, I completely tune out anything having to do with gemstones these days. My husband and I thought it could only be the 12 Tribes of Israel.

Oh, also we're big "Doctor Who" fans. Sometimes I absently mutter "Peter Capaldi" in a bad Cockney fashion--"Pee'ah Capaw'dee"--the way other people might whistle or hum. When his picture flashed up in the game, I totally blanked on his name.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

As mentioned elsewhere, New Orleans (particulary the Cafe du Monde, one of those must-see places in New Orleans) is known for beignets.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:34 pm Recognized none of the play titles either.
A few of them were more modern, sort of absurdist plays. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead and Six Characters in Search of an Author are both pretty modern. I've heard of Lady Windemere's Fan, but couldn't get that. I think the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee was made into a movie somewhat recently? Googling it, and I guess it wasn't, but it was pretty popular several years back. I guess it's both a book and a play. I didn't recognize the last one, though.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:34 pm Also don't recognize "59th Street Song" at all.
"The 59th Street Bridge Song" is not one of Simon & Garfunkel's most notable hits, but it's a second tier hit (with songs like Cecilia, and on their Greatest Hits CD). The "Feelin' Groovy" hook is pretty easy to recognize if you've heard it.

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:34 pm What was the TOM for oceanography at $400?
Two ways I got this. First, it's quasi-current events. The Boaty McBoatface polling thing happened just a few years ago, and if you were following it, you knew that it was an oceanographic exploration vehicle. Second, a boat that is a scientific vessel is probably associated with the ocean, the O in NOC. And the -graphy is given to you.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:34 pm Minipax = ministry of peace? No idea how you figure this out.
This is from 1984. Most of the ministries in that book--fictional ministries, since it's a work of fiction--start with Mini for ministry. And are ironically named. Minipax (ministry of pax/peace) deals with war.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:34 pm Also saw no way to figure out "Chopin" at $400.
Was just a guess for me. I strongly associate Chopin with piano and keyboards, and he's one of the most significant Polish composers. (Although I blanked on his name, and couldn't come up with it in time.) Then again, most of the questions in that category were guesses for me. I am just familiar enough with composers and what country they're from to make guesses based on national origin clues. (I did get Mussorsky (sp?), but none of the others, if I don't count coming up with Chopin in time.)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:13 am
dinghammer wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:54 am Topaz is my birthstone.

Mine's sapphire. Why are we whispering?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Opus, I absolutely MUST learn not to read your comments while drinking coffee. This is the third time in as many weeks you've made me clean my monitor.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:16 am On a DD, you might WAG Louisiana based on the French connection.
I've never heard of nor (until a Google Image search just now) seen a beignet, so that was exactly my WAG. I guess it must be well-known enough to be a top level clue?

We sang The 59th Street Bridge Song in elementary school, and I'd always hated the title, so that was an easy one for me. (I still remember our music teacher admonishing us for wanting a song title have any relevance to the song lyrics.)

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is actually a musical, one I've music directed, and is one of my favorites.

I didn't find the inside-the-word category nearly as difficult as I'd feared after Alex's explanation. I don't know if he misspoke, but he said the correct response would be found "in the clue," but it was clear from the example that it's not -- you actually have to come up with a certain word first, then find another word inside that. Normally those wordsearch clues trip me up and I have to pause the DVR, but I did OK on most of these.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another 12 Days of Christmas gifts here. Given the time of year, a bit of a negbait FJ, but whatever. I also never thought of birthstones as a tradition.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

theFJguy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:23 am FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This list of 12 may have been inspired by a biblical garment decorated in 4 rows, the top being sardius, topaz & carbuncle
Always beware of Greeks bearing gifts and trivia questions containing the reassuring words, "may have been." And Monkeys might fly out of my butt!
I also went with the 12 Days of Christmas.
I would prefer not to.