HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by seaborgium »

Bartleby wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:21 am Picked up my first win in tonight's game, alongside 386 others, for a whopping $5.17 payday!
Sup "won for the first time tonight" buddy

Yet again my first win in something is a total ending in 17.

The questions:
Which of these musicians has never been a member of The Beatles?
Ringo Starr | Paul McCartney | Elvis Presley
Which of these states borders Kentucky?
Ohio | Montana | New Jersey
What insect shares its name with a yoga pose?
Locust | Stick bug | Moth
Podcast is a combination of what two words?
iPod/broadcast | Podule/broadcast | Podium/broadcast
Which game is an example of a Rube Goldberg machine?
Rubik's Cube | Mouse Trap | Connect Four
Which of these soups is NOT served cold?
Vichyssoise | Menudo | Okroshka
Which of these words is misspelled?
Gnash | Gnarled | Gnack
Who among these has won four Best Actress Oscars?
Meryl Streep | Katharine Hepburn | Ingrid Bergman
Which of these countries allows internet voting for its national elections?
Australia | Germany | Estonia
In boxing, which of the following weight classes is the heaviest?
Super Lightweight | Welterweight | Cruiserweight
Which of these cookies debuted the same year the Girl Scouts were established?
Chips Ahoy! | Oreo | Mallomars
Which of the following U.S. presidents never earned a bachelor's degree?
John Adams | Ronald Reagan | Harry S. Truman
Spoiler
Elvis Presley
Ohio
Locust
iPod/broadcast
Mouse Trap
Menudo
Gnack
Katharine Hepburn
Estonia
Cruiserweight
Oreo
Harry S. Truman
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Happy new year!

HQ Trivia is now available on Android.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Referral code: jeff6286

If I win with an extra life due to your referral code, I will be sure to take care of you!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How do you get paid?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:43 am How do you get paid?
Apparently if you have under $20, you don’t, which seems like not the best business practice, I’m assuming they will change that at some point. But once you get to $20, they pay out through PayPal. I’ve done it, it was quick and easy and the cash showed up very quickly.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

They can't pay you if your balance is under $20, and you have to claim your prizes within 90 days of winning them, so my $5.17 will go away if I don't win $14.83 more before March 25.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:32 pm They can't pay you if your balance is under $20, and you have to claim your prizes within 90 days of winning them, so my $5.17 will go away if I don't win $14.83 more before March 25.
This is the perfect crime! That game will cost them 100 bucks tops, and drag hundreds of people to play and pound away at the game for months!

My nephew and Brother in law pushed this game on us over Xmas, but it is way too slow and draggy for me. With this quiz structure, the chance of learning something is pretty much nil although I guess the DJ dude does give some sarcastic info backstories. It's not my style to play on my own but we did have a good time playing as a family event, for sure. And it's getting people interested in trivia (like my in-laws), even if the reality dose hasn't set in yet that they will not be winning any money.

But congrats, to both boardies for your success. This game would have been much friendlier than the other two I've seen, but I still whiffed on my guesses for the cookies, the President, and the fighter.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:58 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:43 am How do you get paid?
Apparently if you have under $20, you don’t, which seems like not the best business practice, I’m assuming they will change that at some point. But once you get to $20, they pay out through PayPal. I’ve done it, it was quick and easy and the cash showed up very quickly.
Thank you. For being the first to answer my question, I used you for a reference. Enjoy the extra life.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

I joined yesterday to try it out, and managed to get 4 questions before missing one at the 3 PM quiz. I have had two updates since 3 PM yesterday, the only time it worked. :-/

We enjoyed watching the train wreck at 11:45 PM last night with the non-functional quiz, but Rob fell asleep by 12:30 AM for the re-do of the $18,000 game. My beta version did not work then. Hopefully it works better soon, or I will be uninstalling the app this week.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:32 pm They can't pay you if your balance is under $20, and you have to claim your prizes within 90 days of winning them, so my $5.17 will go away if I don't win $14.83 more before March 25.
Ah, I had not read the fine print, didn't know about the 90 day rule. That is even scummier than I thought. I feel like there definitely should be something preventing a company from advertising a contest that is free to enter and then making certain prizes unredeemable.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If it is free to play, how do they pay for the prizes?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:15 pm If it is free to play, how do they pay for the prizes?
The people who are behind HQ are the same ones behind Vine. It’s probably being funded by Vine money.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:18 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:15 pm If it is free to play, how do they pay for the prizes?
The people who are behind HQ are the same ones behind Vine. It’s probably being funded by Vine money.
But what’s in it for them?
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

They have Venture Capitalists funding them for a while as they build up a fanbase. Just like facebook didn't have ads etc to begin with, if start ups have funding they like to get users first and then worry about cash later. I would guess in the next few months you will have one/some of these:

1. Ads after question 6 and before question 7
2. Sponsored Quizzes (i.e. all the questions are about shows on HBO)
3. Buy 5 extra lives for $2.99!
4. Brands will happen to show up in questions more often. (Which of these companies donates the most to charity annually?)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:28 pm
Another email list to sell.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:42 pm
Another email list to sell.
they don't even ask for an email during signup! Only if you win and cash out do you need a paypal email. They do require a phone number however.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

There were 500000+ people on the last few days. A few 30 second ads while you wait will have a lot of eyes on them.
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

Vermonter, was that you I saw in the lineup of champions tonight? Nice job, dude!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

SweepingDeveloper wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:30 pm Vermonter, was that you I saw in the lineup of champions tonight? Nice job, dude!
I saw him as well, nicely done. That was a brutal set.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:17 pm
This is the perfect crime! That game will cost them 100 bucks tops, and drag hundreds of people to play and pound away at the game for months!
The questions would be a lot easier if that were the plan. But every time the winners are a group of (prize/$20) people, chances are good they'll be on the hook for the whole pot. And it seems to me like it's better optics to have 16 people winning $125 each than, say, 387 schlubs getting $5.16 or $5.17.