Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why do so many renditions of Christmas songs leave verses out? To wit:

* I've heard many versions of "Sleigh Ride", including the Marvelettes, omit the whole B-section about Farmer Gray. I was actually surprised the first time I heard this, since it seemed like a totally different song.

* Most versions of "Jingle Bells" have only the first verse out of a possible four. Sometimes you'll hear the Fanny Bright verse, and I know I've heard the two-forty for his speed verse, but I don't think I've ever heard a version with the "upsot" verse.

* "Winter Wonderland" I can understand somewhat, since the verse about "and pretend that he's a circus clown" was a later addition to the song, and was intended as a replacement for the "Parson Brown" verse. Despite this, every version I've heard with "circus clown" does both that and the Parson Brown verse. There's also a slower intro part that gets omitted even more often, which begins "Over the ground lies a mantle of white..."

* "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town" also has an intro ("I just came back from a trip along the Milky Way...") that I have NEVER heard in any version, ever. I'm just surprised every time I hear a version that does have the rooty-toot-toots and rummy-tum-tums, since those get left out more often than not. I thought I had seen a version with even more verses than that, but I can't seem to find it.

What makes all this even worse is when they only do one verse, and then repeat it ad nauseam instead of finding the other verses. Why?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 am * Most versions of "Jingle Bells" have only the first verse out of a possible four. Sometimes you'll hear the Fanny Bright verse, and I know I've heard the two-forty for his speed verse, but I don't think I've ever heard a version with the "upsot" verse.
The Fanny Bright verse is the "upsot" verse:

A day or two ago
I thought I'd take a ride
And soon Miss Fanny Bright
Was seated by my side
The horse was lean and lank
Misfortune seemed his lot
We got into a drifted bank
And then we got upsot
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

You almost never hear the intro to White Christmas:

The sun is shining, the grass is green
The orange and palm trees sway
There's never been such a day
In Beverly Hills, LA
But it's December the 24th
And I'm longing to be up north.

Kind of has the same flavor as Joni Mitchell's River. It also reminds me of this line about Miami from Edna Buchanan's The Corpse Had a Familiar Face: "Miami is nobody's hometown. Ask people here for thirty years where they are from, they don't say Miami. They name the place they left."

Speaking of Joni Mitchell's River, what other downer Christmas songs are there? I suddenly want to put together an album called Have Yourself a Melancholy Christmas.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:57 pm Help me out here. I thought there was a Seinfeld episode where Kramer had an idea for pre-toasted bread. It's already toasted, you keep it in your freezer, and when you want some, you just pull a slice out and pop it in the toaster. "It skips a step." I was so sure of this that I tried to find a YouTube of it to show my daughter. (She'd just passed on to me the lifehack of pre-boiling your water and keeping it in the fridge.)

YouTube didn't know what I was talking about. The INTERNET doesn't know what I'm talking about. My Seinfeld expert friend doesn't know what I'm talking about. He checked with his Seinfeld fanatic friend who also doesn't recognize the plot. So I've accepted that this didn't happen on the show. I don't think it's from the Modern Seinfeld Twitter thingy either. But I'm not yet accepting that I'm crazy or that I've (once again) fallen through a wormhole into a parallel universe. Any help here? Anyone recognize the above scenario as belonging to some other sitcom or a movie or a comic strip or... SOMETHING?
Closest I've got is the garbage disposer in the shower episode.

But reminds me of the lifehack I invented of shaving with two razors using both hands (I shave in the shower, another essential lifehack). The learning curve was too steep and the band-aid bill too expensive so I dropped it. I might try the garbage disposer one though :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:29 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 am * Most versions of "Jingle Bells" have only the first verse out of a possible four. Sometimes you'll hear the Fanny Bright verse, and I know I've heard the two-forty for his speed verse, but I don't think I've ever heard a version with the "upsot" verse.
The Fanny Bright verse is the "upsot" verse:

A day or two ago
I thought I'd take a ride
And soon Miss Fanny Bright
Was seated by my side
The horse was lean and lank
Misfortune seemed his lot
We got into a drifted bank
And then we got upsot
4 AM typo. The verse I've never heard in any rendition is the one that ends "He laughed as there I sprawling lie,
But quickly drove away."
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:57 pm Help me out here. I thought there was a Seinfeld episode where Kramer had an idea for pre-toasted bread. It's already toasted, you keep it in your freezer, and when you want some, you just pull a slice out and pop it in the toaster. "It skips a step." I was so sure of this that I tried to find a YouTube of it to show my daughter. (She'd just passed on to me the lifehack of pre-boiling your water and keeping it in the fridge.)

YouTube didn't know what I was talking about. The INTERNET doesn't know what I'm talking about. My Seinfeld expert friend doesn't know what I'm talking about. He checked with his Seinfeld fanatic friend who also doesn't recognize the plot. So I've accepted that this didn't happen on the show. I don't think it's from the Modern Seinfeld Twitter thingy either. But I'm not yet accepting that I'm crazy or that I've (once again) fallen through a wormhole into a parallel universe. Any help here? Anyone recognize the above scenario as belonging to some other sitcom or a movie or a comic strip or... SOMETHING?
https://bimbousa.com/products-bread/white-toasted-bread
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of geography, this killed me:

[image=[/image]

Lots more here:

https://www.twitter.com/TerribleMaps
clprez

Post by clprez »

Well, that sure was a rabbit hole.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Interesting article on what Google Maps has been doing:

https://www.justinobeirne.com/google-maps-moat
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I just want to warn everybody against complacency regarding this story. Should chocolate go extinct, it may still turn up in Final Jeopardy. Remember liederkranz!
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:16 pm I just want to warn everybody against complacency regarding this story. Should chocolate go extinct, it may still turn up in Final Jeopardy. Remember liederkranz!
Not happening. Just more clickbait garbage.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So much for 2018 being better than last year; Intel processors made within the last 10 years have, well, superlatives fail me here, a big bug.

https://gizmodo.com/report-all-intel-pr ... 1821728240
Essentially, modern Intel processors have a design flaw that could allow malicious programs to read protected areas of a device’s kernel memory (memory dedicated to the most essential core components of an operating system and their interactions with system hardware). This flaw could potentially expose protected information like passwords. Since the error is baked into the Intel x86-64 hardware, it requires an OS-level overwrite to patch—on every major operating system, including Windows, Linux, and macOS.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I can never pick on penguins enough.

Flight Risk.jpg
Flight Risk.jpg (35.37 KiB) Viewed 5681 times
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 pm I can never pick on penguins enough.
Spoiler
I love that one!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I was already typing up my condolences for your Vikings, Mark. What an ending!!! Good luck next week 8-)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:18 pm I was already typing up my condolences for your Vikings, Mark. What an ending!!! Good luck next week 8-)
Thanks, I was forming a post in my head that would have included acronyms FNO, FTS, FHK, and instead the payback is complete for the 2009 loss. Losing at home after a bye week and a 17-0 lead would have stung for a long time. Now it's on to Philadelphia with the road game against the #1 seed. I can take just about any kind of loss next week unless the Vikings lose on a Forbath missed field goal chip shot that would have won the game.

The dream of reaching the Super Bowl is alive. The dream of beating either the Bills or Steelers is gone as well as knocking off the Falcons on the way there. I never even considered it the least bit possible that the Chiefs would reach the Super Bowl.

The nightmare I imagine now is getting by the Eagles and then losing to Jacksonville. Losing to the defending champion Patriots & Tom Brady to go 0-5 in the big game would be no fun although inevitable.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:18 pm I was already typing up my condolences for your Vikings, Mark. What an ending!!! Good luck next week 8-)
I turned on this game just before the final field goal and watched to the end with my kids. They are now football fans.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

...well, at least it won't be a close, painful loss that will haunt you :o

Sorry Mark.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:10 pm ...well, at least it won't be a close, painful loss that will haunt you :o

Sorry Mark.
Thanks, it was like 2001 when the Giants won 41-0 with the game decided before halftime. Nick Foles was like the second coming of Montana. The defense for the Vikings could not stop anything. Too much to overcome with dome team outdoors, now 0-4 against the Eagles in the postseason, no team ever plays in the Super Bowl when its home stadium is hosting, and Vikings being Vikings.

The Bills & Vikings are 0-4 in the big game, so the Eagles will be more than halfway there if they can't beat Brady & Co. in two weeks.

Next season the Vikings will play the Eagles for revenge in the regular season and I can have my crack at the Patriots with the NFC North rotation against the AFC East.

Good season with a bad ending. I've suffered through enough of them over the years and it beats being a Browns or Lions fan by far. Being a Chargers fan would have a laundry list of postseason disappointments as well.

Terry Bradshaw singing with Eagles owner Lurie? Ugh! My ears.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I learned over this past weekend that Ibsen wrote all his plays in Danish. I'm posting it here because I think this fact has the makings of a so-called "savage question" on HQ, and forewarned is forearmed.