The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Fried dough = super fancy
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:07 am Fried dough = super fancy
It is if almost 99% of it is in one very small part of the country.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:09 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:07 am Fried dough = super fancy
It is if almost 99% of it is in one very small part of the country.
99% of fried dough?
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:40 am Yeah, beignets ring not the faintest of bells for me. More super fancy food that no one outside a very specific demographic is ever going to know.
If France is a very specific demographic, then so be it.

Beignets are originally from France - the name should have a French ring to it, what with the silent "t" at the end. And if it's French and related to a US state, it's probably Louisiana. If it's French and related to a US city, it's probably New Orleans. The one in Louisiana. (If it's a whole country and NOT actually France, Canada is a good guess, as are a couple of the little island countries in the Caribbean.)

There are multiple ways of coming across the actual item. Watch baking shows on the Food Network (or similar channels). If you're a Disney fan, they play a noticeable role in the 2009 animated movie "Princess and the Frog". You can also eat them at any of the Disney parks. If you like doughnuts and look for different ones from time to time, you're bound to come across them in your search for something slightly different.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:08 am
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:57 pm

The book "1984" was famous for things being named in contrast to their true nature. The Ministry of Peace was in charge of war, the Ministry of Truth told a lot of lies. The tease out wasn't minipax but rather that the ministry was in charge of war. The clue writers expected the contestants to be familiar with the dystopian world setting.
Although there is the additional teaseout in knowing that "pax" is Latin for "peace".
That’s how I got it, never read the book. But I agree it is easy to puzzle out.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:02 am Why does it feel like the boards have been WAY the hell harder of late? I had 0 right today. In the past couple weeks, it feels like I'm hitting far harder than usual clues in the $200 boxes.

Am I just plain dumbass at this point?
Just someone who can't seem to grasp the concept, let alone accept, that many other people have traveled more than 10 miles from where they were born, have read books, have gone to the movies, watched something on TV other than Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune, have read newspapers or watched the news on TV, paid attention in history and literature classes in high school and/or college, etc. More than 100 pages in this thread, it would be nice for the New Year if you just accepted that other people have broader experience than you, that you stopped beating yourself up about that fact, and maybe that you simply pick up a book ("1984," for example!) and try reading it.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

I'm surprised you missed the "beignets" question given that whenever Wheel of Fortune does a remote in New Orleans, Pat & Vanna always make time to go get some for at least one of the end-of-show host chats.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:14 am I'm surprised you missed the "beignets" question given that whenever Wheel of Fortune does a remote in New Orleans, Pat & Vanna always make time to go get some for at least one of the end-of-show host chats.
That only enlightened me to "beignets are some kind of food". Their being a donut never came up in that.

I'm more experienced than I think. I have been outside Michigan many many times. I've seen a lot of things. I was on TV for crying out loud. But a lot of it just seems to... not be there when I play along to J!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:14 am I'm surprised you missed the "beignets" question given that whenever Wheel of Fortune does a remote in New Orleans, Pat & Vanna always make time to go get some for at least one of the end-of-show host chats.
I actually missed that one. After the Vermont maple clue, my mind was stuck in New England and nothing clicked there.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Good point. My wife and I always giggle at Vanna taking a bite of a beignet. I'm guessing she doesn't eat a lot of them.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:00 pm
Good point. My wife and I always giggle at Vanna taking a bite of a beignet. I'm guessing she doesn't eat a lot of them.
Still, her technique seems a bit unusual, at least outside of pie-eating contests.
Spoiler
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I saw no way to shortcut 3x=5+y if X is 4.

X is 4. Plug in 4 where X is. That makes that side 3 times 4. 3 multiplied by 4 is always 12. 12 = 5+Y. 5 plus what equals 12? Or 12-5 is what? Or your favorite how much to add to five to get to 12?

Picture clues are annoying to poll, so I'm not sure if I will meet your request for the knee things.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:58 pm I saw no way to shortcut 3x=5+y if X is 4.

X is 4. Plug in 4 where X is. That makes that side 3 times 4. 3 multiplied by 4 is always 12. 12 = 5+Y. 5 plus what equals 12? Or 12-5 is what? Or your favorite how much to add to five to get to 12?
So there's no simpler way than that huh?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hammer: Did you do a guest write-up for Rex Parker and the 12/30 puzzle? :)

There were some similarities that had me laughing. http://rexwordpuzzle.blogspot.com/
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:02 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:34 pm Bastille was a prison? Never would've guessed that.

Don't recognize Gary Oldman's name at all, so I had that down as an 0/5 before any clues came up.
search.php?keywords=bastille&terms=all& ... mit=Search

A search of tenpoundhammer + oldman returned no results, so there's that at least.
Fun fact: Gary Oldman is younger than Gary Numan.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:01 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:58 pm I saw no way to shortcut 3x=5+y if X is 4.

So there's no simpler way than that huh?
I mean, it's a combination of a few different arithmetic problems.

3 times 4 and 12 minus 5.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Saw this in an old thread from 2014:
naurae29 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:13 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:have NHO the Cranberries or that song, but guessed on a Z word relating to the undead and nailed it.
Woohoo! That's the strategy I'm talking about. Now go listen to Cranberries, please.
I hate that song. I hate that breathy moany style she uses. And the lyrics are just whiny emo garbage. I don't wanna hear someone whining and moaning about how war is bad mmkay? Same reason I don't give two craps about "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath. "Bawwwwww war is bad!" No #@$#@$, sherlock. You also wanna do a song about how water is wet?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:27 pm
Virginia Woolf was a real person?!
Yes, Hammer, there is a Virginia Woolf. She exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know...

4th clue about her in S34 although what do I know as I missed the FJ! clue as well. The race is on. Which one of us will get the first solve of 2018?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:29 pm...I don't wanna hear someone whining and moaning...
The exact reason I don't spend much time in this thread or reading TPH's other posts.
OCSam
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Anyone else expect TPH to consider California Rolls "fancy?"