Wednesday, January 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7668, 2018-01-03

CONTESTANTS
Michael Shockley, a pro sports executive from Seattle, Washington
Steph Bundy, a summer camp director from Oak Park, California
Saralee Etter, a writer from Pataskala, Ohio (whose 1-day cash winnings total $8,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Yeah, $8,000. Not a lot of money when you compare that to the average winnings on Jeopardy!. But every once in a while, we get a Final Jeopardy! that's a killer and would be difficult for all players who have competed on our program. And yesterday was a case in point. We had reason to be afraid of Virginia Woolf. Steph and Michael, welcome aboard. Good luck to the three of you. Here we go into round number one. You should have fun with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DIETS (4/5)
THE ZONE (4/5)
THE MEDITERRANEAN (2/3)
DASH (5/5)
PALEOLITHIC (3/3)
WAIT WATCHERS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Steph: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Michael: 5 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Saralee: 6 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Michael: $2,400
Steph: $2,000
Saralee: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Michael Shockley is a pro sports executive from Seattle, Washington. With which team?

Michael: Seattle Sounders FC, the soccer team.

Alex: Okay, good for you. Now, we all have bucket lists. And you had an opportunity to cross one of the items off your list. And you froze or panicked?

Michael: I did, I did. One of the items on my list is to shake a president's hand. And about seven years ago, I was in Venice, Italy of all places, at the airport, at the currency exchange, and I look up, and around the corner comes Jimmy Carter. And he didn't break stride. I could have reached out my hand, but I just looked at him and said, "Mr. President, how are you?" And with his Georgia drawl and his big blue eyes, he just looked at me and said, "It's good to see you," and just kept on walking. That was it. Never got to shake his hand.

Alex: That's all right. But you were there with him.

Michael: I was.

Alex: In an exotic location. And it makes a good story.

Michael: Thanks.

Alex: Steph Bundy, summer camp director from Oak Park, California. One Christmas, your dad did something that was a little bit hard on you kids, and it had to do with Jeopardy!

Steph: He did. My dad loves Jeopardy!, and so one Christmas, he made a whole board. He used PowerPoint and made it all fancy and had clues that were family inside jokes and the shows we loved, but then, when it was over, he tried to give out our Christmas money based on our actual performance.

[Laughter]

Steph: And we had to remind him that's not exactly the spirit of Christmas. Even if it's in the spirit of Jeopardy!

Alex: Anybody end up in the red?

Steph: No. No one ended up in the red.

Alex: Oh, that's good. 'Cause I was worried that he might take money away from you.

Alex: Saralee Etter. I've been commenting about your name. I love "Saralee".

Saralee: Mm-hm.

Alex: Why did they name you Saralee?

Saralee: Well, my parents eloped, and so in order to get the approval of both families, they named me for my father's mother, Sara, and my mother's father, Leo. So they could go to both sides of the family and say, "Well, we named our daughter after you."

Alex: Okay, good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE ZONE $200: A telephone "code", or in an Onion headline, the local "man" who "nervously asks girlfriend if she'll settle"

THE MEDITERRANEAN $400: The ancient region of Tripolitania forms the northwest part of this modern Mediterranean country
(Saralee: What is Tunisia?)

DIETS $600: Mark Bittman's plan to lose weight & restore health is "VB6": eat this 5-letter way before 6 PM
(Saralee: What are veggies before 6?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Steph: $5,800
Michael: $2,600
Saralee: $600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOVELS WITHIN NOVELS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
2-DIGIT NUMBERS (3/5)
STATE OF THE COLLEGE (5/5)
CHIEF JUSTICES (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE BUSINESS OF CELEBRITY (5/5)
"SALT" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Steph: 13 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Michael: 9 R, 2 W
Saralee: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Steph snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Saralee had $600, Steph had $6,200, and Michael was at $7,400. Steph wagered $2,500.

NOVELS WITHIN NOVELS $800: She created fictional mystery writer Ariadne Oliver, author of "The Affair of the Second Goldfish"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Steph who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Saralee had $600, Steph had $16,300, and Michael was at $9,400. Steph wagered $700.

CHIEF JUSTICES $800: In 2017 Charlie Taney apologized to the family of this slave for the terrible decision made under his ancestor Roger

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"SALT" $1200: The first Chinese propellants used sulfur, charcoal & this, potassium nitrate
(Michael: What are fireworks?)

2-DIGIT NUMBERS $1600: Janis Joplin & Jimi Hendrix are members of this morbid numeric club, as they were both this age when they passed
(Michael: What is 29?)
(Steph: What is 28?)
(Saralee: What is 26?)
(Alex: No. Oh, why did you skip [*]?)

2-DIGIT NUMBERS $2000: Any self-respecting buccaneer knows there are this many "men on the dead man's chest--yo-ho-ho, & a bottle of rum!"
(Steph: What are 3?)

NOVELS WITHIN NOVELS $2000: In this Michael Chabon novel that became a Michael Douglas film, Grady Tripp struggles to finish a novel

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Steph: $18,200
Michael: $9,400
Saralee: $600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OPERA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Evenly spaced scores with first crushing second.
Steph: Wager $600--wagering any more risks falling behind Michael's wager of $8,200.
Michael: Wager all $9,400.
Saralee: Wager $0.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This character's famed entrance aria actually introduces him as a handyman, repeats his name & adds "la-la-la-la-las"

FINAL SCORES
Saralee: $600 + $0 = $600 (Who is Figaro) (2nd place: $2,000)
Michael: $9,400 - $9,400 = $0 (Who is Gepetto?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Steph: $18,200 + $601 = $18,801 (Who is Figaro?) (New champion: $18,801)
(Alex: Repeats his name a lot.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Steph: $16,600, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Michael: $9,400, 14 R, 3 W
Saralee: $600, 8 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $26,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Steph: 26/60 = .433
Michael: 14/58 = .241
Saralee: 9/58 = .155
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WAIT WATCHERS $600: Tom Felton, AKA Draco Malfoy, brought pizza to some campers who came to see this final film in the Potter franchise
(Steph: What is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?)
(Alex: Need more.)
(Steph: What is [*]?)

DASH $800: Police corruption is one reason why this country of 140 million has so many dash cams (just check YouTube)
(Saralee: What is India?)

DASH $1000: A blue-dash charger is not a muscle car but a ceramic type of this made in the United Kingdom
(Steph: What is a horse?)

THE MEDITERRANEAN $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) From the Italian port of Pescara to Dubrovnik in Croatia, it's about 200 miles across this arm of the Mediterranean

PALEOLITHIC $400: Scholars name paleolithic figurines like the one seen here for this Roman love goddess

PALEOLITHIC $600: In 2008 the Lombok, a paleo-era type of this craft, navigated Indonesian waters for science
(Saralee: What is a boat?)
(Alex: Be--)
(Saralee: Or ship or canoe?)

DIETS $800: The doctor who created this diet wrote, "Because I live in Florida, the best fruit example I can think of is the orange"
(Michael: What is the Miami Beach Diet?)
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

THE ZONE $1000: Geometry term also used to denote a prime part of a country's economy, like the housing one
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

"SALT" $800: Seen here, it's used to make sure animals get their vitamins & minerals

2-DIGIT NUMBERS $1200: My Ukrainian and French-Canadian roots are backed by a DNA report by this number andme.com: 29% East European, 15% French-German

THE BUSINESS OF CELEBRITY $2000: Soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo is the "CR" in the Pestana CR7, a new hotel in Funchal in this European country
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CHIEF JUSTICES $1200: This man who led 2 branches of govt. in one way or another resigned in 1930 due to ill health & was dead a month later
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
area
Libya
vegan
Agatha Christie
Dred Scott
saltpeter
Wonder Boys
Figaro
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Russia
a dish (or a plate)
the Adriatic
Venus
a raft
the South Beach Diet
a sector
a salt lick
Portugal
Taft
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OPERA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This character’s famed entrance aria actually introduces him as a handyman, repeats his name & adds “la-la-la-la-las”

Saralee Etter: 600+0=600
Steph Bundy: 18200+601=18801 (New Champ)
Michael Shockley: 9400-9400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Figaro (Michael – Gepetto)

Daily Doubles
DD1: Not Found
Steph: 6200+2500
Steph: 16300+700 (Saralee $600 & Michael $9400 with 3 clues worth $4800 remaining)

Coryats
Saralee: 600
Steph: 16600
Michael: 9400

Combined: 26,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Saralee: 600
Steph: 5800
Michael: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Summer Camp Director and Pro Sports Executive are new ones for the job titles list. Michael mentioned he works for the Seattle Sounders and quick research shows he also worked for the NBA Kings & Suns.

It’s not my place to give the link, but it does not take a Google genius to find Steph’s camp. Make sure to scroll down to see the Chief Security Officer. Awww!

The BMS of the day was WAIT WATCHERS $600: Tom Felton, aka Draco Malfoy, brought pizza to some campers who came to see this final film in the Potter franchise

Steph did not account for the split in her response, so Alex said, “Need more.” Steph then had to say it all over again and add the necessary distinction to make her response correct. No wonder the round was not completed including an unplayed Daily Double.

DASH $800: When you are operating this old-timey kitchen device, the dash is the plunger you pull up & down to agitate the cream

Steph: What is a butter churner?
Alex: Yeah, will give you that.
Steph: Butter dasher?
Alex: No. It’s a butter churn!

2-DIGIT NUMBERS $1600: Janis Joplin & Jimi Hendrix are members of this morbid numeric club, as they were both this age when they passed
Michael: What is 29?
Steph: What is 28?
Saralee: What is 26?
[Laughter!]

The FJ! clue was not my smoothest solve as I had to take a handyman detour through “The Anvil Chorus” to work my way to the guy with the repeated name. Michael’s chance at making Steph pay for her 700 wager on DD3 (well DD2 this game) was probably gone as soon as OPERA was revealed based on his Gepetto guess.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

So, would they accept "The Barber of Seville" as a response?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Figaro was Gepetto’s cat.

Nothing came to me on FJ as I remain 0 for 2018.

Alex spoiling yesterday’s FJ also ate up time.

I do not know Golf’s religious views, but I suspect he spent the last commercial break praying Michael was an opera buff.

Only one two digit number has the numbers in alphabetical order? That didn’t make sense as there are many others.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 pm So, would they accept "The Barber of Seville" as a response?
This is all I could come up with, too, as I blanked on the name. I knew that the Looney Tunes had sung it too, but still couldn't come up with it. You failed me, Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:01 pm Only one two digit number has the numbers in alphabetical order? That didn’t make sense as there are many others.
F O R T Y has its letters in alphabetical order. Numbers aren't in alphabetical order ;)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not sure why they needed the second part of that "area" clue. That just served to make the clue quite confusing.

No guess of FJ. Couldn't think of any handymen.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I started with the barber of Seville, but repeated name got me to Figaro.

I anticipated the Harry Potter BMS - glad she got it.

The Daily Double wagering was... not ideal
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Back to the impossibly hard boards for me.

I couldn't make head of the "area code" clue either. What did the Onion part of the clue have to do with the rest of the clue? "Area man"?

Dash buttons + dash wand = could be any company you order from. I negged with eBay, and figured there were a lot more that were equally cromulent.

Country of 140 million = could be any of them. I also negged with India. Figures the one time I remember how big India is, and it's not right.

How does Monaco = "grace"ful?

Paleolithic = old stone age? I saw no way to figure that out.

That whole Diet category was miles over my head. Any reason I should know any of that?

John Roberts rings no bells for me, probably because it's such an anti-Hawley-Smoot name.

Any reason I should know that Casamigos is a tequila and not any other form of booze? I saw no way to narrow that down.

I found "forty" very hard to wade through when spotted "the only number whose letters are in alphabetical order".

Lach Trash: 27
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:27 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:01 pm Only one two digit number has the numbers in alphabetical order? That didn’t make sense as there are many others.
F O R T Y has its letters in alphabetical order. Numbers aren't in alphabetical order ;)
Thanks. I misunderstood the clue.

I agree with Hammer the area code clue was a bunch of gobbledygook.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This just isn't my week. I'm 0/3 on FJ this week. I WAG'ed Don Giovanni.

At least I knew the 27 Club.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

tiwonge wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:34 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 pm So, would they accept "The Barber of Seville" as a response?
This is all I could come up with, too, as I blanked on the name. I knew that the Looney Tunes had sung it too, but still couldn't come up with it. You failed me, Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd.
I had the same response, and ruled it incorrect on my score sheet. Rebecca Press Schwartz's "the founder of the Girl Scouts" would seem to cut in the same direction, but that precedent may not be entirely on point, being as The Barber of Seville is the work's title.
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:01 pm Figaro was Gepetto’s cat.

Nothing came to me on FJ as I remain 0 for 2018.

Alex spoiling yesterday’s FJ also ate up time.

I do not know Golf’s religious views, but I suspect he spent the last commercial break praying Michael was an opera buff.

Only one two digit number has the numbers in alphabetical order? That didn’t make sense as there are many others.
It wouldn't had matter if Michael was an Opera buff since Steph got FJ right and made the cover wager.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I'm not an opera buff myself, but I'm familiar enough with Figaro's famous song with his repeated name that I figured it was a reasonable guess at least. And the right one! Always worth guessing something :).
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

SWAGed Figaro. Didn't know who else it could be.
Seriously, the 27 club was a triple miss? :o
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Good question. I'd guess not, but this is a real edge case.

I think they asked for the character rather than the opera to avoid the negbait of The Marriage of Figaro. That's a Mozart opera featuring earlier adventures of the same character in Rossini's Barber.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:45 pm I couldn't make head of the "area code" clue either.
You and me both, buddy. The response didn't help me understand what they were getting at either. The contestants seemed similarly befuddled.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,600
42 R/1 W
DD: 2/2
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: area, Libya, vegan, saltpeter, 27

I had to chuckle at a board of diet-related categories with a champ named Saralee.

Apropos that the soccer exec would get both of the soccer-related clues on the board.

Fireantsdefense had to be happy with the Furman shout-out.

Steph had two great opportunities to lock up the game at the end of DJ!, but she failed to take advantage of either one. She was $2500 away from a runaway when she hit the final DD, but wagered only $700. Then, needing $1800 to double up Michael, she went for the $1200 clue rather than the $2000 one. All's well that ends well, I guess, but she really could have ended up kicking herself over that one.
Sprinkles are for winners.