HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by alietr »

Out of curiosity, how long do these games take to play?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:39 am Out of curiosity, how long do these games take to play?
Depending on technological glitches, anywhere from 15-30 min.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Woof wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 am
alietr wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:39 am Out of curiosity, how long do these games take to play?
I gave up on it pretty quickly for this reason. There are 12 questions and they give you a 10 second timer to respond to each question. The game takes 20 minutes.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:27 am
Woof wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 am
I gave up on it pretty quickly for this reason. There are 12 questions and they give you a 10 second timer to respond to each question. The game takes 20 minutes.
They certainly string it along at times. I like the concept, but as with anything that gets popular, it morphs into something different than what you recall. I appreciate the person who provided me with an extra life yesterday; too bad I squandered it on the following question, as I realized almost too late that I was still in the game (when you have an extra life, they apply it the first time you miss a question; I didn't know I had one).

I've only made it as far as question 7. They get pretty inane in the middle in order to drop off thousands at a time. Plus, the 5-10 seconds you have to respond can get you a bit frantic. I still like it though and will keep playing for a while.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I just played for the first time. Here are some observations.

The blonde lady who hosted was annoying. Are all the hosts that bad?

The comments that people post fly by too quickly to read and are a distraction.

I lost on the question of which was the oldest religion, but stayed through the end. It took about 20 minuets to watch it all.

The prize was $2,000. A total of 151 people each claimed $13.25 or $13.24.

They showed a video of a woman who filmed herself winning the other day who got way too excited over winning a prize she may never see.

The questions weren’t super hard, but some require pure guesses.

One question asked which letter do most English words begin with. It should have said which letter begins the most words, unless over half of all words start with an S.

She asked how many times the word sex is in the constitution. She then said it appears once, in the 9th amendment. I guess she has a different constitution than I do.

The last question asked which of three teams has never won a championship in the Super Bowl era. The choices were the Vikings, the Buccaneers, and the Chiefs. Actually, the Vikings were NFL champs the final year before the merger, so they do have a championship, even though they lost Super Bowl IV.

It was fun, but I don’t know if I can tolerate all that goes with the game on a regular basis.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Another questionable question today was, "Which Disney animated film was released after 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs'?" Obviously, if all the choices were Disney animated films (which they were: Bambi, Pinocchio, and Fantasia), then technically "all of the above" would be correct. They meant "next after," as could be assumed, and I got it right, but I could see someone getting it wrong by thinking "Well, I know when Snow White and one of these choices came out, and that choice came out after, so I guess the other two choices came before Snow White."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I gotta say that the more I hear about it, the less interested I am in it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:44 pm Another questionable question today was, "Which Disney animated film was released after 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs'?" Obviously, if all the choices were Disney animated films (which they were: Bambi, Pinocchio, and Fantasia), then technically "all of the above" would be correct. They meant "next after," as could be assumed, and I got it right, but I could see someone getting it wrong by thinking "Well, I know when Snow White and one of these choices came out, and that choice came out after, so I guess the other two choices came before Snow White."
I was nitpicking in my comments, but that one is just plain unfair. Especially since Pinocchio and Fantasia were both released in the same year.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

I gave up on it a week or so ago. I don't have the personal make-up to keep losing without really learning anything. There doesn't appear to be any archive of the games, and I didn't find any discussions of the questions or answers. That makes it hard to learn from my mistakes (which generally happened within 3 or 4 questions), and turns it all into an exercise in frustration. Add in the technical difficulties, and it wasn't worth the time.
--Peter
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I learn plenty from my mistakes, usually watch through question 12 and take screenshots of any questions I think are particularly difficult or notable or interesting and discuss with friends.

Sure there are plenty of awful questions, and I don’t mean written poorly, I mean just uninteresting or virtually unknowable. But I think they come up with some good ones as well.

I have sets where I know 9 or 10 and can make reasonably educated guesses at the others and also have sets where I’m lucky to go 6/12. It is very hit or miss But even if I’m not in position to win I enjoy the scope of it. Watching over 200,000 people get knocked out on one question, or seeing single digit winners when over half million start, the process is fascinating.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have another comment about the money. You only collect once you bank $20 and prizes expire after 90 days if you are under that threshold.

In the game I saw, some people got an extra one cent due to rounding off $2,000/151. I’m not going to complain about a penny. But it would suck if you got to $19.99 after 90 days and lost that money because you were in the group that didn’t get that extra one cent.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

There are two things about it I really like:

1) It's a lot easier to have a trivia event with family than going to a pub quiz, especially when I'm the one who lives far from everyone else. We played quite a bit at Christmas and bonded a bit more when we had a bigger group on several devices; on top of that, the variety of talents paid off (though not financially).

2) It helps train me to be a little more decisive under pressure, and being comfortable with when I think they want me to get it right (first instincts) and when they're going for negbait (quick spotting of the thread).

It's enough for me to offset the lower quality of the question writing and the technical issues. I'm also sure I love complaining about something like that with a large enough public group.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Despite the negatives to HQ, I love it. I've gotten to question 12 three times now and I haven't won, but it's a rush playing every time.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:33 pm I just played for the first time. Here are some observations.

The blonde lady who hosted was annoying. Are all the hosts that bad?

The comments that people post fly by too quickly to read and are a distraction.

If you swipe the comments (I believe to the right) they actually go away. The app is much more tolerable at that point, as you are correct that the comments can be quite distracting.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The ladies of The View talked about it on the 1/4 show near the end of the episode. As of now this YT link works:

It looks like there are other uploads of the show on YT so if one disappears then looks for others.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

OSXpert wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:21 pm Despite the negatives to HQ, I love it. I've gotten to question 12 three times now and I haven't won, but it's a rush playing every time.
Scratch that, I'm now the proud owner of $5.45
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I also won $5.45. I'll transcribe the questions in a bit, because today's "The Q" is about to start right now.

Here they are!

Who is a fictional friendly ghost?
Beavis | Snoopy | Casper
Which of these is an American fashion and lifestyle magazine?
The Economist | Wired | Vogue
How many countries make up South America?
18 | 12 | 24
Who did NOT fight in boxing's legendary "Thrilla in Manila"?
Muhammed Ali [sic]| George Foreman | Joe Frazier
What is the correct spelling of this word?
Hankerchief | Handkerchief | Hankercheif
Which poodle breed is the biggest?
Standard | Moyen | Miniature
Which bread dough is unleavened?
Filo | Naan | Injera
What made the original Teddy Ruxpin different from other stuffed animals of his time?
Had a tape player | Follow voice commands | Backflip
Which living organism has more teeth?
Snail | Human child | Snake
Which film was NOT directed by Martin Scorsese?
Hugo | Silence | The Young Victoria
What song is heard at the annual Harvard-Yale football game?
The Red and Blue | Boola Boola | Old Nassau
In which of these countries do motorists drive on the left side of the road?
France | Tahiti | India
Spoiler
Casper
Vogue
George Foreman
Handkerchief
Standard
Filo
Had a tape player
Snail
The Young Victoria
Boola Boola
India
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This afternoon’s game had three people split $2,000.

I will say the woman who hosted this game (Emma) and the one yesterday afternoon is much more tolerable than the first one I saw. But all the inane commentary is still annoying.

But it is fun to play along and seeing the numbers drop each question is pretty cool. But I would like to meet the people who thought Matisse use paint and canvas to create time travel.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:29 pm I also won $5.45. I'll transcribe the questions in a bit, because today's "The Q" is about to start right now.

Here they are!

Who is a fictional friendly ghost?
Beavis | Snoopy | Casper
Which of these is an American fashion and lifestyle magazine?
The Economist | Wired | Vogue
How many countries make up South America?
18 | 12 | 24
Who did NOT fight in boxing's legendary "Thrilla in Manila"?
Muhammed Ali [sic]| George Foreman | Joe Frazier
What is the correct spelling of this word?
Hankerchief | Handkerchief | Hankercheif
Which poodle breed is the biggest?
Standard | Moyen | Miniature
Which bread dough is unleavened?
Filo | Naan | Injera
What made the original Teddy Ruxpin different from other stuffed animals of his time?
Had a tape player | Follow voice commands | Backflip
Which living organism has more teeth?
Snail | Human child | Snake
Which film was NOT directed by Martin Scorsese?
Hugo | Silence | The Young Victoria
What song is heard at the annual Harvard-Yale football game?
The Red and Blue | Boola Boola | Old Nassau
In which of these countries do motorists drive on the left side of the road?
France | Tahiti | India
Spoiler
Casper
Vogue
George Foreman
Handkerchief
Standard
Filo
Had a tape player
Snail
The Young Victoria
Boola Boola
India
I would have guessed on Scorsese
Spoiler
(50/50 since I knew Hugo wasn't it)
, but otherwise breezed through them.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I just removed it from my wife's Iphone. Does anybody want to get credit for an extra death? :lol: I won't be putting it on my Droid.

I gather there's a daytime episode with a female DJ? I really can't take the loudmouth bearded guy anymore. I hope he doesn't replace Robert Siegel on NPR :lol: . ( I wonder if Alex knows about him - he's about as big an institution as Bob Ross.)

Best part was seeing the victims fall and it was fun as a group event. Worst part is the continuing bandwidth issues and the time for the sake of 4-5 quality questions. Anxious to follow the boardie's success stories as long as this thread stays up. Who will win the race to $20.01?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.