Thursday, January 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, January 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

I went with Grand Prix. Wait - is that even a car model? :?

Couldn’t pull Boucher - that was tough even with the next alphabetically clue

Room also stumped me. Saw the film but didn’t get it tonight
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 pm I went with Grand Prix. Wait - is that even a car model? :?
Pontiac
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:44 pm Let’s see if Sean is lurking on this board. Sean, what was this about?
He was clearly complimenting Steph on a humorous FJ response, possibly noting he wished he had written something like that himself. They continued to talk in a very chummy manner as the show went to break.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Corvette. I didn't know the clue but figured a Corvette is a really well known car and might have been released at that time. I was pretty sure the Mustang was released later (1962). It felt better to get FJ off a guess than to get one I already knew.

2/3 on daily doubles. I recognized the title "Room" but didn't know the author or even that it was a book. Steph knew that answer FAST. She had a reaction about as soon as the clue was displayed and I thought it was pretty impressive.

I missed "The Great Santini" and guessed "The Prince of Tides."

J6 messed up for me and cut off an answer. I'm not sure why. Did anybody else have the same problem? Screenshot below:
Spoiler
All the contestants were really good today.
goatman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:59 pm LT: Chagall. INstaget Corvette.

Work too much. Drive too much. Come Home late, miss most games, declining scores consistent with age-appropriate atrophic brain changes. :(
Sorry if it's rude but did you miss Bundestag? You post some of the highest scores on the board and you seem comfortable with the German language so I'm genuinely curious if you missed it.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Judges: "Mew mew" for Mjolnir? Or would that only work if I'm Kat Dennings?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 pm I went with Grand Prix.
That was the best I could come up with. I spent a long time on Peugeot, and then realized the clue was asking for a model. I think French + checkered flag = Grand Prix is a decent, logical enough train of thought that I wouldn't be embarrassed to neg that way on the show. Kind of like
Spoiler
"Cohens" when "Levites" was correct.
Maybe the best possible incorrect response one could make while genuinely attempting to be right.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:16 pm Why weren't they prepared for "massage" as a synonym for backrub? Sean ended up spinning his wheels giving extra info when he didn't really need to. That may have been what haunted him into specifying "dead" when Alex didn't say yes quickly enough to "not enough room to swing a cat." I worried that would cost Sean, but apparently some people do say it with the "dead" modifier. News to me.

-------------------------------------

I wouldn't have rung in on the Amanda Donoghue novel clue. But from the couch, I guessed "What is The Room?" I don't know why I added the definite article. I wonder if my response would have been accepted. Amazon does offer a novel called "The Room" by Jonas Karlsson. So maybe I'd have been hoist by the Invisible Man petard.

-------------------------------------------
I was a little surprised Alex gave "backrub" as an apparent acceptable response, since Bush, very briefly, only touched Merkel's shoulders...

Also a bit surprised that Alex indicated they'd accept the cat cliche without "dead," since expired was in the clue...

It's tearing me apart, Lisa!!, but the reason you'd likely have been negged on "The Room" is that there's a different movie of that name that happens to have been in entertainment news a lot lately...At last, another example of the Invisible Man principle...(Though I just read an essay by a usually careful and erudite writer who referred to Ellison's book as The Invisible Man... :roll: )

Alex said the year was important on FJ - Why?
It seems like most folks got it from recognizing the emblem, and the vaguely French name Corvette. When the correct response was revealed, I first thought corvette was a word meaning flag (I guess thinking of chevron), but since it's a kind of warship I don't think that helped...
I thought of Mustang as a sporty model that's been around a long time. If Corvette had come to mind I probably would have guessed it. Instead I ended up with Monte Carlo, vaguely thinking the reference was to the Monaco Grand Prix or some other famous race... :roll:
Last edited by davey on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:44 pm CARS is not my kind of category unless it’s about a TV show vehicle or I’d even settle for the Ric Ocasek group.
Ocasek was my tongue-in-cheek pre-call.

I'm not a big car guy, but I got final primarily off picturing the Corvette logo containing a checkered flag, secondarily from rough knowledge of the early fifties for its introduction, and fleur-de-lis = France helped confirm it being a model with a French name.
I'm now 4 for 4 on the week in finals, after surviving car and opera categories, and I'm dreading the trap the writer's surely have waiting for me in a wheelhouse category Friday.
I would prefer not to.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:20 pm Alex said the year was important on FJ - Why?
That was how I knew it for sure. I knew 1953 was the first model year for the Corvette. I also knew there was a checkered flag in the emblem, but didn't recall the fleur de lis.

Here's the original logo, by the way
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:20 pm "Catherine" was very obscure for $400 IMO.
Bad dreams in the night
They told me I was going to lose the fight
Leave behind my wuthering, wuthering
Wuthering Heights
Heathcliff, it's me, I'm Cathy
I've come home, I'm so cold
Let me in through your window

- "Wuthering Heights" by Kate Bush
I would prefer not to.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:44 pm CARS is not my kind of category unless it’s about a TV show vehicle or I’d even settle for the Ric Ocasek group. Automobile history? No thank you.

I ruled out Ford Mustang, Edsel, and Renault and did not know what to do with the two flags in the clue’s wording. I thought perhaps two guys and scribbled Aston Martin before time was up.

These previous clues matched the year and model though not enough for it to sink in for me yet like some works of literature with a year that J! uses over and over again.
Spoiler

#7062, aired 2015-05-05 1950s AMERICA $400: In 1953, the first of these Chevy sports cars rolled off the assembly line; all 300 made that year were white with red interior Corvette
#3347, aired 1999-03-09 WHICH CAME FIRST? $200: Toyota Corolla, Ford Mustang, Chevy Corvette, Porsche Boxster
#3146, aired 1998-04-13 IN ST. LOUIS $600: After 1953 & for the next 28 years, this car seen here was built only in St. Louis:
#3095, aired 1998-01-30 IN YOUR CHEVROLET $100: Introduced in 1953, it's considered America's first sports car
#3007, aired 1997-09-30 BUSINESS & INDUSTRY $200: The 1997 model of this Chevrolet sports car is only the 4th redesign since its 1953 introduction
#2884, aired 1997-02-27 AUTO FIRSTS $400: These seats were first offered in 1953 on Corvettes
This week we’re at 5, 5, 6, 6 for clues not played. The powers, writers, and host have to notice. If tomorrow is just as bad then I expect some kind of improvement on the Monday game. One way or another.

Another thing going on this week is a player in each game in single digits for clues correct.

Let’s see if Sean is lurking on this board. Sean, what was this about?
I thought I saw Sean mouth "you were closer than I was" or something similar during his pointing finger.

I took me WAY too long to abandon the fleur de lis portion of the emblem, finding no reason it should be and no appropriate time frame for Renault, Peugeot, or Citroen. At about 21 seconds I went to the other half, put 1953 with the checkered flag and had just enough time to write the correct response. Too close.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Should I ever find myself on Jeopardy! and the Final category comes up "CARS", I'm definately going to clavin it.

Sean escaped a weak subject final by virtue of a runaway. I hope he can put another strong game up to break the one-timer streak.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:16 pm Why weren't they prepared for "massage" as a synonym for backrub? Sean ended up spinning his wheels giving extra info when he didn't really need to. That may have been what haunted him into specifying "dead" when Alex didn't say yes quickly enough to "not enough room to swing a cat." I worried that would cost Sean, but apparently some people do say it with the "dead" modifier. News to me.
I think he had to add "dead" to be ruled correct since the clue included "expired feline."
I would prefer not to.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I have always heard the expression as "can't swing a dead cat without hitting something."
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

My first thought for the 1953 TOM was for a Studebaker or early Volkswagen, but that wouldn't be a debut year. Corvette was my first rollout candidate, but I might have blown it by saying Corvette Stingray, unless that is acceptable. Then I wondered the rest of the think music about what the heck is a "Cobra". Something to do with Richard Shelby, blah blah, but the "Spring Little Cobra" must have been from the same era. But I know that Mustang is a 1965 sensation, with some rare prototype 1964's out there somehow.

Steph seemed to melt against a tough player. I expect our first multi-day champ tomorrow. Any hope of Steph getting in striking range died when Kelly (?) dragged out the video clue for about 15 seconds.

I wonder if the taping schedule will change the air date of the shows I watched from the audience (scheduled week of 3/27)? We must have seen him after the fall and before surgery. We thought he seemed to walk kind of gingerly, I wonder if it was connected?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 pm Should I ever find myself on Jeopardy! and the Final category comes up "CARS", I'm definately going to clavin it.

Sean escaped a weak subject final by virtue of a runaway. I hope he can put another strong game up to break the one-timer streak.
Sean is a strong player in terms of trivia and presumably has good buzzer reactions, as I think he was mostly beating Steph to the punch. (And Steph rung in a bunch in her first game) Hard to tell how good he is in terms of gameplay; he certainly wasn't DD hunting, and while his DD wager was perfectly fine, it's not clear whether he will continue to bet optimally there.

But I think he has a solid chance of repeating and I wouldn't be shocked if he goes 4+.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:09 am but I might have blown it by saying Corvette Stingray, unless that is acceptable.
It's not. The Sting Ray was the second generation Corvette that was introduced in 1963.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i knew the hammer answer, and pronounced what i said to myself as "mole' - neer."
i'll leave it to you if i get credit.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

alan tiger wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:24 am i knew the hammer answer, and pronounced what i said to myself as "mole' - neer."
i'll leave it to you if i get credit.
Likewise I said "Muh-johl-neehr"
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Add me to the list of people who got FJ from the flags in the logo but didn't know there was a fleur-de-lis on it until today.