Thursday, January 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 4, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bartleby »

I said "m-yol-neer" for Thor's hammer. I think the judges would be pretty liberal with acceptable responses approaching, and maybe even including, "mew mew."
I would prefer not to.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I thought of Chevy Corvette but had I thought about "Chevrolet" being a French name, that might have steered me away. But maybe not, because it's obviously an American company. That is, I thought the clue pointed to a non-French company whose one particular sports car model has a French name.

She here said LeMans, which seemed like a great guess even before I looked it up and saw it was introduced in 1953.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I yearn for the innocent days of yesteryear where a president made headlines for grabbing a woman by the shoulders.

Another Grand Prix here. Not a car guy, so I guessed the checkered flag would be on a car with a racing related name and Grand Prix sounds French.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bartleby wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:17 am I said "m-yol-neer" for Thor's hammer. I think the judges would be pretty liberal with acceptable responses approaching, and maybe even including, "mew mew."
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:27 am
Bartleby wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:17 am I said "m-yol-neer" for Thor's hammer. I think the judges would be pretty liberal with acceptable responses approaching, and maybe even including, "mew mew."
All right, that sounds exactly like how I said it!

Speaking of exact responses, did anyone else give Springfield's chief of police's full name of "Clancy Wiggum?"

Not speaking of inexact responses, I appreciated Steph's neg on the Chagall DD with Kandinsky. While they are known for fairly different styles of art, they were contemporaries, originally from the Russian Empire, and both later settled (and died) in France. Kandinsky is also one of my very favorite artists.
I would prefer not to.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

[/quote]Not speaking of inexact responses, I appreciated Steph's neg on the Chagall DD with Kandinsky. While they are known for fairly different styles of art, they were contemporaries, originally from the Russian Empire, and both later settled (and died) in France. Kandinsky is also one of my very favorite artists.
[/quote]
Agreed. Jeopardy! likes Chagall and Magritte - both seem to come up a lot. Just don't mistake Rene Magritte for Peter Paul Reubens...

I appreciated the FAUX PAS / FOE PA pun, and thought the MEH DECADE was pretty clever, too. I negged with the 1890s for the Edwardian period, but there's a bit of gray area there, according to Wikipedia: "The Edwardian era or Edwardian period of British history covers the brief reign of King Edward VII, 1901 to 1910, and is sometimes extended in both directions to capture long-term trends from the 1890s to the First World War."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:27 am
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Bartleby wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:52 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:16 pm Why weren't they prepared for "massage" as a synonym for backrub? Sean ended up spinning his wheels giving extra info when he didn't really need to. That may have been what haunted him into specifying "dead" when Alex didn't say yes quickly enough to "not enough room to swing a cat." I worried that would cost Sean, but apparently some people do say it with the "dead" modifier. News to me.
I think he had to add "dead" to be ruled correct since the clue included "expired feline."
Alex said that they would have accepted Sean's response with or without "dead." I was surprised too.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

A somewhat belated congrats to Steph on her games! She was one of the local alternates when my group taped in early August, and a nicer person you will not find. At lunch, we speculated about how our Trebek chat would go, and I remember her being extremely supportive of Kelvin Smith (who was going to address his Asperger's). She worked every day to create an inclusive environment for all kids, so that was an important issue for her too. And for those potential alternates looking for a timeframe, she didn't appear on the shows that aired Halloween week '17 (through the luck of the draw), but she made it by New Year's week '18.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Lefty wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:15 am I thought of Chevy Corvette but had I thought about "Chevrolet" being a French name, that might have steered me away. But maybe not, because it's obviously an American company. That is, I thought the clue pointed to a non-French company whose one particular sports car model has a French name.

She here said LeMans, which seemed like a great guess even before I looked it up and saw it was introduced in 1953.
LeMans here as well.
OCSam
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:28 am
Bartleby wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:20 am Not speaking of inexact responses, I appreciated Steph's neg on the Chagall DD with Kandinsky. While they are known for fairly different styles of art, they were contemporaries, originally from the Russian Empire, and both later settled (and died) in France. Kandinsky is also one of my very favorite artists.
Agreed. Jeopardy! likes Chagall and Magritte - both seem to come up a lot.
Yeah, Kandinsky has some hits in the Archive but not anywhere near as many as those two.
I would prefer not to.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Another checkered flag + France = Le Mans here.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Interesting tidbit I just discovered. Louis Chevrolet (co-founder of the company) was not of French parentage but Swiss. There is even a case to be made that Chevrolet's bowtie emblem is a stylized version of the cross on the Swiss flag. But that's far from definite. Could figure in a future clue at some point.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:08 pm There is even a case to be made that Chevrolet's bowtie emblem is a stylized version of the cross on the Swiss flag.
This is one of those things that you see every day of your life but never really think about. Yeah, what the heck is that thing?
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

squarekara wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:08 pm There is even a case to be made that Chevrolet's bowtie emblem is a stylized version of the cross on the Swiss flag.
This is one of those things that you see every day of your life but never really think about. Yeah, what the heck is that thing?
This story says the Chevrolet bowtie logo was cribbed from Coalettes, a brand of Southern Compressed Coal.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 pm I got Corvette. I didn't know the clue but figured a Corvette is a really well known car and might have been released at that time. I was pretty sure the Mustang was released later (1962). It felt better to get FJ off a guess than to get one I already knew.

2/3 on daily doubles. I recognized the title "Room" but didn't know the author or even that it was a book. Steph knew that answer FAST. She had a reaction about as soon as the clue was displayed and I thought it was pretty impressive.

I missed "The Great Santini" and guessed "The Prince of Tides."

J6 messed up for me and cut off an answer. I'm not sure why. Did anybody else have the same problem? Screenshot below:
Spoiler
All the contestants were really good today.
goatman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:59 pm LT: Chagall. INstaget Corvette.

Work too much. Drive too much. Come Home late, miss most games, declining scores consistent with age-appropriate atrophic brain changes. :(
Sorry if it's rude but did you miss Bundestag? You post some of the highest scores on the board and you seem comfortable with the German language so I'm genuinely curious if you missed it.
Ja, das leider hab Ich vermisst. Wusste es sogar nicht, stell Dir vor, obwohl ich wohnte dort fast funf Jahre! "DOCH!" <Kopfslappung!"> :P

ich glaube ernst, wahrsheinlich einige gennedige Deutscher wurden so was auch vermissen. Ask 100 Americans to name both chambers of their own Congress- FAIL! LOL Tschuss Freunde! :lol:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!