Friday, January 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Friday, January 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DBear »

NHL logos? More, please! :D
picked up Red Wings, Temple, Flaubert and the DeSade DD trash. Shoulda got Watchmen, too, but blanked. :x
Easy FJ.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

Anybody else get John P. Murtha?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

lindap wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:36 pm Anybody else get John P. Murtha?
I went Arlen Specter :oops: I do know who Murtha is. Former Mississippi US Rep Gene Taylor, who was the most conservative Democrat in the House for awhile, always nominated him for Speaker over Nancy Pelosi.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

I got Archie pretty quickly after figuring out that Richie Rich wasn't a teenager in the comics. I'm not hugely familiar with Archie Comics but I remember reading an issue once in which Archie was having trouble picking between two girls who were crazy about him.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:42 pm
lindap wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:36 pm Anybody else get John P. Murtha?
I went Arlen Specter :oops: I do know who Murtha is. Former Mississippi US Rep Gene Taylor, who was the most conservative Democrat in the House for awhile, always nominated him for Speaker over Nancy Pelosi.
I went with Specter as well, but I didn't think he was a large man, just the most well known and likely to be a clue answer. This question was for political junkies and Pennsylvanians only.

Instaget FJ surprise. I assumed I'd be picking a 50/50 from Marvel/DC or wiped out by an obscure label. I expected a triple solve, and a high poll number here. Thanks for the gift, writers, but now I have to forget how terrible these comics were. :cry: I do think Miss Grundy is hot!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Tom Ridge was also a possible negbait answer on the PA question, as he was a nationally known politician with military experience.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

Until his death, I had voted for Murtha every two years for all of my adult life so I knew exactly who he was. I didn't think he was recognizable enough to be on Jeopardy!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:12 pm I don't think Mighty Ducks should have been accepted. The logo described in the clue was not adopted until the team dropped "Mighty" from the name.
How do we know "mighty" wasn't an editorial on Brandon's part?

Does anyone else amuse themselves by pronouncing "Flaubert" to rhyme with "Robert"?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Guh, and I'm even getting the Harley & Ivy Meet Betty & Veronica crossover comic event (which is hilarious) in my box. :(
FJ streak dead at 19.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:50 pm The phobia category was too obscure for me. Nomophobia? Based on the Greek, I assumed it was fear of laws, but that didn't fit the clue. Why would it mean fear of being without a mobile phone?
I'm guessing from No mo(bile) phobia? Or using what's there: No mo(bile) pho(ne)bia?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Archie from a guess and watching a few episodes of Riverdale on Netflix. I thought about Marvel but saw that movie and he seemed older than a teenager.

2/3 on daily doubles. I've gotten all the recent clues about Game of Thrones but missed the clue about John Snow.

I'm 5/5 on FJ clues this week. That's two weeks in a row for me. I've now had 3 weeks with 5/5 since I started on this board. I'm not worried about jinxing myself because there's no way I'll keep this up anyway.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:53 pm The Ducks are a real team?!
Ok then. I have no words for this.

The sentiment "no words" is strongly felt but I also recognize the paradox in posting these words and I'm not sure how to properly convey a message of "no words."

Jeffpardy is funny. The contestants were fun to watch today.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:10 pm If there is a list of top 100 author/title matches to know for J! I would think the Bovary author would be on there. Certainly top 250.

NHL LOGOS is not on a study list unless Dan Patrick is hosting and the challengers did well splitting the first four until the last one was a stumper.

So much for watching all six hours of Robert Kirkman’s Secret History of Comics and all episodes to date of Riverdale helping me with today’s FJ! clue.

I matched Sean’s response which of course had no chance. Captain Marvel is DC Comics. Billy (Batson) is the first name. Marvel is not a teen’s first name. The high of finishing 2017 with a 5/5 week has led to the low of starting 2018 with a 20% week.

Claudia’s response of Jeff had Alex ask for clarification when he guessed perhaps she was going Mutt & Jeff. Claudia got a laugh when it sounded liked she was going for “Jeff Pardy” (Jeff Pretty?) a pun on the show’s title.

Nice solve by Brandon to take the game and make it five games with five different winners this week.

It seemed like there was editing work on contestant responses that was slightly clipping correct phrasing. Six clues not played completed a bad week for incomplete boards. Monday has to be better.
This is Jeffpardy:

Shouldn't one of those categories be in quotation marks?... :lol:

I haven't been interested in comics for decades but I did have some Archie Comics as a kid. It never occurred to me that was the publisher's name - I just thought it was the name of the series. But tonight I thought "teenage hero" was practically a giveaway - I had no doubt Archie was right...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:46 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:50 pm The phobia category was too obscure for me. Nomophobia? Based on the Greek, I assumed it was fear of laws, but that didn't fit the clue. Why would it mean fear of being without a mobile phone?
I'm guessing from No mo(bile) phobia? Or using what's there: No mo(bile) pho(ne)bia?
Wikipedia suggests this is in fact the origin; it's a neologism within the past decade. I'm not a fan of such terms appearing as clues without being presented in the context of neologisms.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Literature was clearly not a good category for any of the players. (Although that applies to most Jeopardy contestants these days)

LT: cell phone, Detroit Red Wings, Watchmen, minimalism, Flaubert, Marquis De Sade, Serbia and Croatia, Nadine Gordimer

FJ: Got overconfident and went with "Marvel" without thinking about it a little more. Turns out that while Captain Marvel was originally introduced in the late 30s, he only became a Marvel property (from DC) in 1967. The more you know.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:53 pmThe more you know.
... the fewer brain cells left to remember where you left your reading glasses?? :D

PS - Or perhaps my problem with things like that is more age related? :shock:
--Peter
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:21 pm I'm still amazed that the Detroit Red Wings were a Triple Stumper. Then again, I live in Greater Detroit aka "Hockeytown".
Same for me, but it's hard to eliminate my bias having grown up in Michigan. Still I think that's one of the most recognizable logos in pro sports.

For FJ I was definitely thinking about superheroes for the first couple seconds of the music, but Archie came pretty quickly and I knew that had to be it.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:21 pm I'm still amazed that the Detroit Red Wings were a Triple Stumper.
Me too. I thought it was one of the most well-known hockey logos in pop culture.
Spoiler
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:53 pm Nomophobia was poorly pinned. "Charging phone" was too specific and that misled the contestants further away. Terrible clue.

The Ducks are a real team?! I thought they were made up for that movie. The only one I got there was the only one they didn't, Red Wings.

How was I supposed to figure out rice at $200? There are an awful lot of "wild" plants. That whole category was completely foreign to me.

Chauvinism has more meaning than that? I have literally never heard it to mean anything other than "male chauvinism".

Ran "Down".

I have a Labradoodle, so no way was I missing that clue. Can't say I've heard of "threepeat", so I had another "all but the top box" moment.

I saw no way to pick between Sawyer and Finn on Books for $400.

"Hero" misled me to superheroes, and coming up high and dry on a teenage superhero. This was head-slappingly obvious after the fact.

Lach Trash: Detroit Red Wings, Guardians of the Galaxy, minimalism
the ducks got the name from the disney movie since disney founded the nhl franchise... but they dropped the mighty part from the name over a decade...technically they should not have accepted that answer...seeing how much of a douche trebek and the judges are when it comes to minute things such as pronunciation, mighty ducks surely should have been disallowed
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:50 pm The phobia category was too obscure for me. Nomophobia? Based on the Greek, I assumed it was fear of laws, but that didn't fit the clue. Why would it mean fear of being without a mobile phone? Tokophobia was easy only because the clue obviously led to fear of giving birth. At least that one played fair with the Greek roots since τόκος means "birth" in Greek. The other possibility was fear of smoking cannabis. Pediophobia seemed like it would be fear of children. I totally missed that the clue was pointing to fear of dolls.

Ran the Portmanteau category. Got lach trash on minimalism (I own at least 2 CDs with compositions by Steve Reich), Gustave Flaubert (come ON, guys!), and Marquis de Sade (come ON, part 2).

No chance on FJ. Wrote down "Billy" (from Billy Batson) just to have something that somehow fit the clue. As soon as I saw Brandon's response I knew that had to be it.
the nomo means no mobile
acestone
Contributor

Post by acestone »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:12 pm I don't think Mighty Ducks should have been accepted. The logo described in the clue was not adopted until the team dropped "Mighty" from the name.

I'm still laughing at the Jeffpardy response.

I was relieved to pull the correct FJ response and avoid an 0/5 week.
Agreed! And he ended up winning the game. Sloppy judging may have altered the course of history.