Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:24 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 pmI know it doesn't count at all if you do what I do on most all 1DSs, which is just click the top 5 money boxes and submit.
Why would you do this?
Why waste time on quizzes where I can only answer a question or two? I'll just read the questions and answers together to see what I can learn from it.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:35 pm
trainman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:24 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 pmI know it doesn't count at all if you do what I do on most all 1DSs, which is just click the top 5 money boxes and submit.
Why would you do this?
Why waste time on quizzes where I can only answer a question or two? I'll just read the questions and answers together to see what I can learn from it.
I think trainman was questioning why you'd bother to submit at all. I assume you (like a few others I know of) submit so you can see the answers right away, even if you don't want to officially enter.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:48 pm I assume you (like a few others I know of) submit so you can see the answers right away, even if you don't want to officially enter.
Correct
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:25 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 am Also, I've submitted day MD25 already, which means I've completed my 2nd Completist Cup, and 20 full seasons of LL without a forfeit, 3,600 Qs in total. I do love this game, and I already can't wait for next year. (Already signed up for the MLs, and you should too, unless you don't want to.)
For the Completist Cup, do you have to answer every single question, even if you are clueless, or just enter every quiz?
Someone asked this question 3 years ago, here’s the answer from the commissioners mouth:

https://www.learnedleague.com/viewtopic ... 684#p43965
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:53 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:25 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 am Also, I've submitted day MD25 already, which means I've completed my 2nd Completist Cup, and 20 full seasons of LL without a forfeit, 3,600 Qs in total. I do love this game, and I already can't wait for next year. (Already signed up for the MLs, and you should too, unless you don't want to.)
For the Completist Cup, do you have to answer every single question, even if you are clueless, or just enter every quiz?
Someone asked this question 3 years ago, here’s the answer from the commissioners mouth:

https://www.learnedleague.com/viewtopic ... 684#p43965
Other comments made me think you had to answer every single question.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Looks like I am finally getting moved to a different League (Taiga -- which makes as much sense as the Pacific League I was in :) ).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:06 pm Looks like I am finally getting moved to a different League (Taiga -- which makes as much sense as the Pacific League I was in :) ).
I couldn’t even tell you what league I am in.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:55 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:06 pm Looks like I am finally getting moved to a different League (Taiga -- which makes as much sense as the Pacific League I was in :) ).
It’s on your player page. And the main page on the top right under your flag.

But since you’re my cria, you’re in the same league as me (unless you get spun off at some time) and I always remember I’m Prairie because I live on the prairies. Granted, it’s harder for southerner you to remember that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Ah that's too bad. You referred me and I played against you in C rundle my second season then I played against you in B rundle in my third season and we both got relegated to C rundle and I was hoping to play you again in my next season. Best of luck with Taiga though.

I live in California so Pacific suits me just fine.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:31 am
Ah that's too bad. You referred me and I played against you in C rundle my second season then I played against you in B rundle in my third season and we both got relegated to C rundle and I was hoping to play you again in my next season. Best of luck with Taiga though.

Better prepare for a change of weather! Based on your sentence that started "You referred me..." I was pretty sure that you would be following econgator to Taiga; I just double-checked, and you are.

I was also referred by econgator, and I'd be joining both of you in C Taiga if I hadn't volunteered to be a ronin (floater to facilitate making even numbers).
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:45 am
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:31 am

Better prepare for a change of weather! Based on your sentence that started "You referred me..." I was pretty sure that you would be following econgator to Taiga; I just double-checked, and you are.

I was also referred by econgator, and I'd be joining both of you in C Taiga if I hadn't volunteered to be a ronin (floater to facilitate making even numbers).
Oh you're right...

That's really easy to miss. No email, no link to Taiga, just a little blurb that says "League: Taiga" on my profile amidst a bunch of other stuff.

Also I'm pretty sure when they had a survey that I voted for Elysium as a name and didn't think much of Taiga. Oh well. Taiga it is.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

My branch is moving to Taiga. See you all there!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:15 am
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:55 pm
It’s on your player page. And the main page on the top right under your flag.

But since you’re my cria, you’re in the same league as me (unless you get spun off at some time) and I always remember I’m Prairie because I live on the prairies. Granted, it’s harder for southerner you to remember that.
I know where to find the information, I have just never bothered to commit the name to memory. The name is really irrelevant to me.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

ElendilPickle wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:30 am My branch is moving to Taiga. See you all there!
Look out. Taiga! We'll miss you in A Cont, Lee Ann, even though it becomes a little less formidable with your departure.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Woof wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 am
ElendilPickle wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:30 am My branch is moving to Taiga. See you all there!
Look out. Taiga! We'll miss you in A Cont, Lee Ann, even though it becomes a little less formidable with your departure.
I'm taking Jason Sterlacci with me, which should help those left in A Con.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Look like I too am now a Taiga Taiga, burning bright.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Sometimes there is a 1 day special that is too close to your expertise. For the condensed matter physics 1ds yesterday there was no possibility of pride in winning - only shame if I missed something that Ive been researching and teaching for 20+ years.

Fortunately, I only missed the food question, and my money choices were pretty good. I'm actually more proud of getting 24th percentile in medieval manuscripts!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:39 am Sometimes there is a 1 day special that is too close to your expertise. For the condensed matter physics 1ds yesterday there was no possibility of pride in winning - only shame if I missed something that Ive been researching and teaching for 20+ years.

Fortunately, I only missed the food question, and my money choices were pretty good. I'm actually more proud of getting 24th percentile in medieval manuscripts!
As a non-expert but someone who interacts regularly with materials scientists, I was pretty chuffed with my finish. 9 right was about as good as I could have hoped for and my moneying decisions were largely good. Optimal moneying would have got me into the 97th percentile, but I'll take my 94th and run with it, all the while reading up on Leon Cooper.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I'm staying in Horizon for what will be my 11th season. Amazing how the league has more than doubled in size since I joined in LL66, with more than twice as many leagues as there were then.
I don't like the fact that only the top 30% show up in the 1DS standings now. I just barely got on in Condensed Matter Physics, which was much harder than I was expecting. I took a solid-state class once about ten years ago; it was really dry. Had it been a regular match day, I would've gotten 0'd on Q11!
Hoping for a third lap
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I’m just glad I read The Lottery or I wouldn’t have gotten any right.