Monday, April 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6351, 2012-04-09

CONTESTANTS
Anne Raybon, a teacher's assistant and school bus driver from Asheville, North Carolina
Doug Lloyd, a law student from Charlton, Massachusetts
Bing Huo, a mechanical engineer from Sunnyvale, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny, and thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome aboard, as we start another week of Jeopardy! Bing, good to see you again. He, uh, got off to a good start on Friday's show, winning that game, and now he defends for the first time, so we'll see how well he does against Anne and Doug. Good to have you here. Good luck. Let's go to work. The Jeopardy! Round has one Daily Double today, in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANAGRAMMED EUROPE (3/5)
HOBBITS' OTHER ROLES (3/5)
TRANSPORTATION (5/5)
THE 20th FIRST ANNUAL IG NOBEL PRIZE (5/5)
PAUL REVERE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE "BRITISH" ARE COMING (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anne: 10 R, 1 W
Bing: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Doug: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Doug: $3,200
Bing: $600
Anne: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Anne Raybon is a teacher's assistant from North Carolina who has hosted how many foreign exchange students?

Anne: Four in my home, but I have helped find host families for over a hundred students in the last--

Alex: How'd you get involved in that?

Anne: Actually, I found a picture of a Japanese man and his wife in my rural Northwestern Georgia grandmother's drawers, and I said, "Who is this man?" And it was their exchange student that they hosted in the '50s, and I thought, "That would be fun."

[Apparent edit]

Alex: All right. Good for you.

Alex: Doug Lloyd is a law student from Charlton, Massachusetts, who accidentally did s--had an accident while baking something. Tell us.

Doug: I did. Uh, my mother's birthday's around Thanksgiving. So every year, somebody in my family gets assigned to make the birthday cake, and last year, it was my turn, and I made the cake and I thought everything was fine, and when she cut into it after blowing out the candles, the knife stopped and hit something really hard, and--couldn't figure out what it was, and then we pried it apart, and I had accidentally left a spoon, metal spoon, in the cake.

Alex: Don't give--

Doug: I didn't do it again this year.

Alex: Good. Don't give up your day job.

Alex: Bing Huo from Sunnyvale, California, is a mechanical engineer, and as a college freshman, appeared on another popular game show, which is...

Bing: Right. I was on The Price Is Right.

Alex: And you won?

Bing: I did pretty good. I won two cars and a bunch of other stuff.

Alex: You still have the cars?

Bing: I do. I have--I'm still driving the same car.

Alex: Okay. All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bing found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Bing had $3,000, Doug had $4,200, and Anne was at $3,200. Bing made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

PAUL REVERE $400: Revere also made glasses & surgical instruments, but his artistry in this material was the focus of his professional life

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HOBBITS' OTHER ROLES $600: Billy Boyd (Pippin) served as Russell Crowe's coxswain in this period piece

HOBBITS' OTHER ROLES $800: You may remember that Ian Holm (Bilbo) portrayed the complicated android Ash in this Ridley Scott film
(Bing: What is Blade Runner?)
(Anne: What is Escape from New York?)

ANAGRAMMED EUROPE $400: I've visited this capital more than once
(Bing: Ooh.)
(Alex: "Ooh," indeed.)

ANAGRAMMED EUROPE $600: I saw a heron wading in this river

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Bing: $6,000
Doug: $5,000
Anne: $4,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AROUND THE LITERARY WORLD (4/5)
BEGINS & ENDS WITH A VOWEL (5/5)
MATH FORMULAS (5/5)
SAN FRANCISCO ATTRACTIONS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BUSINESS LETTERS (5/5)
I'M GONNA HURL (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bing: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Doug: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Anne: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bing snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Bing had $8,400, Doug had $4,600, and Anne was at $4,800. Bing wagered $4,000.

SAN FRANCISCO ATTRACTIONS $1600: Frommer's says this intersection "retains much of the hippie-Bohemian culture of its heyday"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Anne who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Bing had $18,000, Doug had $16,200, and Anne was at $11,200. Anne wagered $6,000.

I'M GONNA HURL $2000: Wearing a kilt , is mandatory in the Highland Games event called "tossing" this, often a 17-foot-long fir pole

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I'M GONNA HURL $400: In 2010 Roy Halladay of this team threw 2 no-hitters--one in the regular season & one in the postseason
(Bing: Who are the Tigers?)

AROUND THE LITERARY WORLD $2000: This Frenchman dedicated his book of poems "Les Fleurs du mal" to his friend & fellow poet Theophile Gautier

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Bing: $18,000
Anne: $17,200
Doug: $16,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Bing: Wager $16,401 to cover Anne.
Anne: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Doug, hoping that you give the correct response and Bing doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $15,201 to cover Doug's doubled score, but no more than $15,600 if you want to top Bing on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $999 and win if both Bing and Doug miss Final.
Doug: You ought to try wagering between $1,001 and $14,200. This will top a $0 wager by Anne while still beating Bing and Anne on the Triple Stumper (should Bing wager to cover Anne's doubled score and Anne wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His widow Maria Elena & actor Gary Busey were on hand when his star was dedicated outside Capitol Records in 2011

FINAL SCORES
Doug: $16,200 - $3,800 = $12,400 (Who is Valens?) (New champion: $12,400)
Anne: $17,200 - $16,201 = $999 (Who Ice T) (3rd place: $1,000)
Bing: $18,000 - $16,401 = $1,599 (Who was Sinatra?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: The star was dedicated on September 7th of last year, he would have been 75 years old, and he was portrayed on film by Gary Busey. That's why Gary was there.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Doug: $16,200, 16 R, 2 W
Anne: $13,200, 18 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Bing: $13,000, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $42,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Bing: 20/60 = .333
Anne: 18/59 = .305
Doug: 16/58 = .276
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE "BRITISH" ARE COMING $400: 2-word term for the rapid U.S. popularity of bands like the Rolling Stones in the 1960s
(Doug: What is the British Wave?)

TRANSPORTATION $800: This vehicle is seen in 19th-century Japan, the time & place it was invented

SAN FRANCISCO ATTRACTIONS $400: This attraction is home to Pier 39 & some 900 California sea lions
(Doug: What's the Wharf?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Doug: Uh, the San Francisco Wharf?)

BEGINS & ENDS WITH A VOWEL $400: Aloha! It's the instrument heard here

BUSINESS LETTERS $800: The "F" in FTD stands for these retailers who formed the delivery service in 1910
(Bing: What are flowers?--[*]?)

AROUND THE LITERARY WORLD $1200: The "Mabinogion" is a collection of Celtic tales & lore from this United Kingdom country
(Anne: What is Ireland?)
(Bing: What is Scotland?)

I'M GONNA HURL $1200: Forms of this field event, in which a 16-pound object is hurled, were once practiced at festivals honoring Thor
(Ane: What is discus?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
silver
Master and Commander
Alien
Rome
the Rhone
Haight-Ashbury
a caber
the Philadelphia Phillies
Charles Baudelaire
Buddy Holly
the British Invasion
a rickshaw
Fisherman's Wharf
ukulele
Florists
Wales
a hammer (throw)
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, April 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Doug527 »

April 9 came SOOOOOO much faster than I thought it would. Thanks to everyone for the retro luck. Enjoy the show today/tonight.
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

23 right today. For the Black Hawk clue in the first round- does my response of "chopper" count instead of helicopter?

I swept the Math category. Funny, Math has always been my worst subject in school.

Did not guess FJ correctly. I went with Paul Newman.
jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags »

retro luck to you, doug
MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

JFanForever wrote:23 right today. For the Black Hawk clue in the first round- does my response of "chopper" count instead of helicopter?

I swept the Math category. Funny, Math has always been my worst subject in school.

Nailed Buddy Holly off Gary Busey.

PS: Was any members of Weezer at the dedication ceremony?
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I would not have known.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
JFanForever wrote:23 right today. For the Black Hawk clue in the first round- does my response of "chopper" count instead of helicopter?

Nailed Buddy Holly off Gary Busey.

PS: Was any members of Weezer at the dedication ceremony?
Ditto.

That song got in my head the second I figured out the correct response.

I'll leave others to analyze wagers and DDs. In the meantime, congrats Doug!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wow. I KNOW I'm doing well when I clam 7 right answers and STILL get 31/60. Ran Europe and Begins & Ends with Vowel. Also got 4/6 on the $2000s, where it's rare for me to get even 1.

Wouldn't have gotten to Buddy Holly if you'd given me all day. I keep forgetting how famous he is — his name just doesn't seem to come up that often.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I just about hurled something at the TV when Anne changed her wager on the last DD. I have no idea what she was trying to accomplish with that wager.

FJ had me all over the place. The widow's name rang no bells, I could not think of a Gary Busey connection, the year had me thinking of people who might have died recently, and Capitol Records pointed toward a musician. Even with more time I would not have come up with Buddy Holly.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

It's not often I get an TS in Final, but it happened this time. For me this may have been the insta-get of insta-gets, as I had it well before Alex finished reading the clue. Now, would I have gotten it if I hadn't seen the movie when I was 11? Probably not.

I agree with DWS about Anne's DD wager. If you're going to go that big, you may as well bet to go ahead.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I never knew Wales was also considered Celtic. Nasty trap of a clue — just "pick one of the three".
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I know it's almost required in a category about SF, but Lombard St for $2000 when spotted just about every TOM possible?

That grinding sound you heard was my brain struggling to process and correctly answer the math clues before the contestants rang in, though I did go 5/5. I don't think I've even seen most of those formulas in the last 15 years.

DAILY DOUBLE!
Me: Too bad she's not going to go for the lead...
"8000"
Me: Oh! Nevermind! Good for he-
"Wait, no, that's too much"
Me: ........... @!@#%^

Not a chance on FJ. Wasn't even in the right decade. Another week free from the burden of trying to go 5/5!
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Doug527 wrote:April 9 came SOOOOOO much faster than I thought it would. Thanks to everyone for the retro luck. Enjoy the show today/tonight.

Congrats on your win!!!!! I did not know a boardie was on the show. I apologize for cheering for Anne, my wife drives a school bus.

I got FJ only because I remember reading that Busey had played Holly when he starred in the horrible Bear Bryant movie. Otherwise, I'd have been stumped as well. At least Doug was on the right track plane. Ice T? A shame such a well played game had a downer of an ending.

I did not do too well in Europe, the clue was taken down too quickly for me to read it all. But I did sweep math.

I never knew you could change your DD bet.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

That one required you to know that Busey played Buddy Holly in the biopic. Luckily, I *did* know that. If you didn't, you were never going to pull that one out.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:Ice T?
The only acting role I know him for is Booga in Tank Girl. Nostalgia Critic had a bit on that: "All right Ice-T, I know you got a lot of projects in the works, but just listen to this movie role." "Yeah, okay." "…………………You're a kangaroo—" "[BLEEP] YEAH!!!!"
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The math category was ridiculously easy. I liked this board, except that the geographic wordplay category stunk.
teapot37 wrote:That one required you to know that Busey played Buddy Holly in the biopic. Luckily, I *did* know that. If you didn't, you were never going to pull that one out.
Yep, this was a "you know it or you don't" kind of FJ clue. Unfortunately the only movie role that Gary Busey has had that I could recall was Chet Steadman, so I had no chance at it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congratulations, Doug! Well done! Personally, I was quite surprised that was a TS. Pretty much an instaget here.

As for Anne's DD, which also had me throwing things at my set (although it didn't matter in the end) gave rise to a question in my mind: has anyone run the numbers on what percentage of time the winner is: a) the leader, b) in second, and c) in third? My gut feel is that you actually win more from third than second, but maybe that's only when third isn't locked out. I guess they can be trailing badly a good percentage of the time. Anyone have the answer?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

teapot37 wrote:That one required you to know that Busey played Buddy Holly in the biopic. Luckily, I *did* know that. If you didn't, you were never going to pull that one out.
You would if you had read about his widowed bride.

I'm watching Ice T right now on Law & Order: SVU.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

DWS wrote:I just about hurled something at the TV when Anne changed her wager on the last DD. I have no idea what she was trying to accomplish with that wager.
I also agree and suspect a moment of panic. The $2000 saved in case of being wrong did not make a difference since it looked like Doug would have kept her locked out. I wasn't a middle child, but I hate being in the middle on a close three-way game, since second usually has to cover third with a big wager that throws away a TS win possibility. So it was either go for the lead, or if you hate the category or $2K difficulty, maybe angle for a FJ TS by staying a close third and keeping a chance of winning in spite of a wrong response on the DD.

I see a Board member won. Congrats Doug!

The shocking stand-and-stare of the day was Roy Halladay's team in 2010.

I found DJ really easy, sweeping through math, SF, Business Letters and almost two others. However I did not know Gary Busey's role, so I was lost on Final J!