FJ!s for the 1/1/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/1/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:50 pm

Pravda reported that Khrushchev, on his way to lunch, announced his decision to give this region to Ukraine
81%
A 2015 BBC list of the 25 greatest British novels included 12 by women, 3 of them by this woman who died in 1941
38%
This character's famed entrance aria actually introduces him as a handyman, repeats his name & adds "la-la-la-la-las"
79%
When it was introduced in 1953, this car model's emblem had a checkered flag & a red flag with a fleur-de-lis
44%
In 1946, MLJ Mags. changed its name to this "Comics", incorporating the first name of its popular teenage hero
60%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
14%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
YOU SHALL FIND $2000: "Find a Way" is a memoir by this woman about her grueling 52-hour swim from Cuba to Florida
49%
STATE OF THE COLLEGE $2000: Transylvania University, Murray State
38%
FEAR FACTOR $800: Sometimes I accuse the writers of ergophobia, or fear of this--but it is a serious anxiety condition
38%
Agatha Christie was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
31%
A Bronte sister or Jane Austen was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
14%
The Barber of Seville was my response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
8%
Peugeot, Citroen or Renault was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue. 
15%
Marvel was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
21%
I was 1/5 on FJ! clues this week.
8%

Total votes: 131

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJ!s for the 1/1/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

1/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLACES IN 1950s NEWS

1/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Pravda reported that Khrushchev, on his way to lunch, announced his decision to give this region to Ukraine

1/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVELISTS

1/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 2015 BBC list of the 25 greatest British novels included 12 by women, 3 of them by this woman who died in 1941

1/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OPERA

1/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This character's famed entrance aria actually introduces him as a handyman, repeats his name & adds "la-la-la-la-las"

1/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CARS

1/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When it was introduced in 1953, this car model's emblem had a checkered flag & a red flag with a fleur-de-lis

1/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMIC BOOK PUBLISHERS

1/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1946, MLJ Mags. changed its name to this "Comics", incorporating the first name of its popular teenage hero

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Crimea
Virginia Woolf
Figaro
Chevrolet Corvette
Archie Comics

The players were 6/15 (40.00%) with a 2-0-2-1-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have three correct by the players with the third one rebounded correctly.

YOU SHALL FIND $2000: "Find a Way" is a memoir by this woman about her grueling 52-hour swim from Cuba to Florida

STATE OF THE COLLEGE $2000: Transylvania University, Murray State

FEAR FACTOR $800: Sometimes I accuse the writers of ergophobia, or fear of this--but it is a serious anxiety condition

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Diana Nyad
Kentucky
work
MarkBarrett

Re: FJ!s for the 1/1/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Siberia
Agatha Christie
Aston Martin
Marvel
Could not place Murray State.  Never heard of Transylvania University.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

Fri - Marvel Valiant

Streak over at 19. :(
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

DuMaurier Tuesday, thought Woolf died earlier.
Ignored the “first” name part of the clue on Friday and leapt to Marvel.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Knew I was doomed from the categories only on Thurs and Fri but luckily I was wrong about one of them to start the year out well...
Not so lucky with the extras - blanked on Nyad and needed more time on ergo-, but I have heard of Transylvania U somewhere...
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Christie; Porsche (which is of course a make rather than a model; cars really aren't my thing)
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Might've meandered my way to Woolf, but not in 30 seconds.
Figaro was my classic last-second desperation WAG which immediately made perfect sense AFTER I said it, but I had my head up my ass during the Think music.
I know less about cars than the average housecat. If given infinite solve time from the moment the episode aired, I might've just solved it this morning.

There's a Transylvania University!? The jokes write themselves and I'm sure alumni have heard them all. Thankfully I've seen Murray St. in the tournament enough times to remember where they're from.

42525443444455553 (I didn't realize I had a streak going. So much for that.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Total goose egg.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:( :( :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

My first time in a while to click the Box of Shame. I wildly guessed Marvel on Friday.

Not a great set of FJ categories for me this week. Alabama once had a basketball coach they hired away from Transylvania. For that matter, they later hired a coach from Murray State.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Chechnya Monday, Grand Prix Thursday. No guess for Transylvania, guessed move instead of work for ergophobia.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:

I am familiar with Murray State, as their basketball team has had success as of late.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Took me long enough but I got my first 5/5. Thankfully got a couple wheelhouses in Archie Comics and classic cars (though I'm more a Mustang person than Corvette). Taking "The Barber of Seville" as correct.

(EDIT: Forgot to put down "ergophobia")
Last edited by NoWhammies10 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Monday: Crimea has been in the news more recently than the 1950s. I took some time to learn a little bit about Crimea, which paid off for this clue.
Tuesday: Ain't happening for me. Avoided way too much literature while in school.
Wednesday: I sort of know one male opera aria, and it fit the clue. Repeated name. La, la, la. Check and check. I would have wagered very little based on the category.
Thursday: I'm not a serious car guy, more like an amateur. There are two dates you learn when becoming a car guy: 1953 and 1964 1/2. You also learn logos so that you can identify cars.
Friday: I can name two comic book publishers. This wasn't one of them. I ticked the "Marvel" box.

Extras: Nope. No way. Not happening.

Didn't Transylvania U show up in a clue recently, like the last month or so? It sounded very familiar when it appeared last week.
--Peter
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Barber of Seville and I’m counting it. I really thought at least one of the contestants would say the same, but someone else here? Bueller?
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Another Agatha Christie.

I think I've mentioned my tendency to say "I have a guess" or "I think I know it" for most FJs while watching. Friday got the rare "I know it!"
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Not quite the start to the year I had hoped for. Couldn't get any further than Chechnya on Monday; Agatha Christie on Tuesday. Not a comic book guy at all and was hung out to dry thinking of superheroes on Friday.

Got Murray State thanks to basketball and Kenneth Faried; those two were part of a Final Response in Sports Jeopardy (that I missed :oops: ) about a year and a half ago.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

Not my best showing.

Never made it around to domestic automakers on Thursday.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :?: :(

M: I think the failure of Western reporting to educate us about this previous and relatively recent Crimean status is a disgrace. It took the FJ writers to tip me off that this wasn't a 19th Century separation. Still very very bad and wrong.

T: Too intellectual for me. Fake question. Girls can't write so I picked George Eliot. I went to college at the best colleges; very stable; very genius.

W: One of the two bytes of opera knowledge in my RAM. Just waiting to play my "Kill the Wabbit" card at the next opera clue :lol: .

Th: Fortunately, the "introduced" steered me away from negbait like Studebaker, Packard, etc.. I worried about whether to say "Corvette Stingray", but sure I would have KISSed a response.

F: Surprised to learn I could name 3 comic labels thanks to the "teen" TOM. If "Classics Illustrated" isn't a separate publisher, then I'm down to the big 2 for the next FJ. I did wonder if "Mad" or "Cracked" might come into play. (Cracked.com has some decent articles among it's clickbait, but not a viable source of knowledge)

Got Diana Nyad just from the feminist celebrity coverage at the time, I'm not a big fan of stunts. Would have missed ergo with some guess about safety, and guessed maybe Ohio. I thought Dracula's Alma Mater would be closer to Whattsamatter U up by Frostbite Falls.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Odd pattern; I think it's my first FJ 5/5 with a total blank on the extra clues. Managed to both close out 2017 and start 2018 with 5/5 for my first-ever two week run during the year I've been on the board. Hope it's a pattern.

Not a huge car guy any more, but a big fan of Chevy in my early-to-late teens (I can still identify, with a two-second glance from any angle, every 1954-1972 Bel Air/Impala/Caprice), so the Corvette emblem was not too much of a challenge. Virginia Woolf was the one that was least sure; I had her name pretty quickly but spent the rest of the time second-guessing and trying to come up with a better answer. Looking forward to seeing how it goes next week. Won't be surprised if I wind up scratching my head on all five.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.