The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:11 am Anyone else expect TPH to consider California Rolls "fancy?"
We all know that "California Rolls" are what you feel in a mild earthquake. :lol:
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:15 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:11 am Anyone else expect TPH to consider California Rolls "fancy?"
We all know that "California Rolls" are what you feel in a mild earthquake. :lol:
I actually do know what a California roll is. In part because the guy I've roomed with at both Anthrocon and Midwest Furfest kept saying he was going to buy me sushi, but we kept running out of time...

(I would say that going to a Brazilian steakhouse at the latter was at LEAST an even trade, though.)
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:47 am
I actually do know what a California roll is. In part because the guy I've roomed with at both Anthrocon and Midwest Furfest kept saying he was going to buy me sushi, but we kept running out of time...

(I would say that going to a Brazilian steakhouse at the latter was at LEAST an even trade, though.)
Uh... I"m almost afraid to ask what those conventions are.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Grace Kelly was an actress who married the ruler of Monaco.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:50 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:47 am

Uh... I"m almost afraid to ask what those conventions are.
This is why web browsers come with privacy modes. 8-)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 pm This is why web browsers come with privacy modes. 8-)
...why, in 2018, are there still people who think that "furry" = "wants to have sex with a dog"?
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 pm This is why web browsers come with privacy modes. 8-)
...why, in 2018, are there still people who think that "furry" = "wants to have sex with a dog"?
Hence the smiley.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:59 pm Grace Kelly was an actress who married the ruler of Monaco.
I've got to say these tend to confuse me, too, because I always assume the word in quotes needs to be part of the correct response.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 pm
Hence the smiley.
To be fair (non-furries may not know this) but the “furry=Weird sex” trope is more infuriating to the community than you might guess (stems from a sensationalist Vanity Fair story), especially since their fandom is quite innocent and fun and rather philanthropic for great causes. It is quite a sore spot to repeat the trope and many furries I know (including TPH, apparently) don’t even see it as something to joke about.

Again, most non-furries aren’t aware of this, so you’re forgiven (at least by me), but just putting out the story.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:49 am
Volante wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 pm
Hence the smiley.
To be fair (non-furries may not know this) but the “furry=Weird sex” trope is more infuriating to the community than you might guess (stems from a sensationalist Vanity Fair story), especially since their fandom is quite innocent and fun and rather philanthropic for great causes. It is quite a sore spot to repeat the trope and many furries I know (including TPH, apparently) don’t even see it as something to joke about.

Again, most non-furries aren’t aware of this, so you’re forgiven (at least by me), but just putting out the story.
Speaking as someone whose existence is fueled by self-deprecation, mea culpa if that's the position.

I mean, shit, they know to tip hotel staff. https://lifehacker.com/all-hotel-guests ... 1820990478
I literally did not know this was a thing. (I also don't stay in hotels unless it's a business trip...and they have not spelled out a hotel staff tip compensation scheme, which seems shortsighted...(I'm a hostel vacationer, myself, and that's not really a tip environment, though I might have to consider it in the future, too...))
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:49 am To be fair (non-furries may not know this) but the “furry=Weird sex” trope is more infuriating to the community than you might guess (stems from a sensationalist Vanity Fair story)
...and a god-awful CSI episode... and many other forms of media just like it that perpetuate and exaggerate a subculture they don't fully understand in the name of sensationalism...
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 am
dhkendall wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:49 am To be fair (non-furries may not know this) but the “furry=Weird sex” trope is more infuriating to the community than you might guess (stems from a sensationalist Vanity Fair story)
...and a god-awful CSI episode... and many other forms of media just like it that perpetuate and exaggerate a subculture they don't fully understand in the name of sensationalism...
I'm a part of several subcultures that people are all too willing to perpetuate negative stereotypes about. I daresay "Jeopardy fan" is one of them. I feel bad for furries, they have it worse than most.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

"Heresy" was also extremely tough for $200. Can we poll that?
The whole Spanish Inquisition was about heretics and heresies. It's properly placed at 200.
I didn't have a single bit of recognition in the Musicals category. Evita was a musical?!
Eva Peron's story in music. Perhaps you've heard Madonna sing "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina"? (Of course, that was the movie and not the Broadway show, but whatever.)
England had a civil war?!? How was I supposed to figure that one out?!
Beats me. I didn't get that one, either. But pretty much every country that has lasted more than a decade or two ends up having a civil war.
"Pointed weapon" was massive negbait for sword. After it was negged, I had no idea what to guess.
Swords are Asian and European. For Africa, guess spear. Besides, swords aren't so much pointy as sharp. Spears are pointy.
No guess on FJ! The wording to me suggested a plane crash, and I'm pretty sure no presidents to date have died in one. Missouri led me nowhere, since I couldn't recall if any presidents were from Missouri.
President plus Missouri is Truman. He's the only President generally associated with Missouri. But that's not the important bit here (as Dave will attest).

What was important in the clue is becoming an ex-President while flying. The flying bit eliminates the 1700s and 1800s. So we're dealing with 20th Century Presidents. You should also know that the outgoing President has almost always attended the inauguration ceremony of his successor. So he becomes the ex-President while watching that event. Those missing from the ceremony typically do so by dying while in office. So they don't become ex-President while flying in a plane. So what 20th century President didn't die in office and didn't attend the normal inaugural ceremony?
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pm The whole Spanish Inquisition was about heretics and heresies. It's properly placed at 200.
Then why was it a stand and stare? Were they not expecting it?
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pm Eva Peron's story in music. Perhaps you've heard Madonna sing "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina"? (Of course, that was the movie and not the Broadway show, but whatever.)
I knew the movie because we watched in high school, but not the musical.
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pmBesides, swords aren't so much pointy as sharp. Spears are pointy.
Sharp vs. pointy seems like total hair-splitting.
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pm President plus Missouri is Truman. He's the only President generally associated with Missouri. But that's not the important bit here (as Dave will attest).
Then why was it in the clue, other than as a red herring the size of Montana?
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pm What was important in the clue is becoming an ex-President while flying. The flying bit eliminates the 1700s and 1800s. So we're dealing with 20th Century Presidents. You should also know that the outgoing President has almost always attended the inauguration ceremony of his successor. So he becomes the ex-President while watching that event. Those missing from the ceremony typically do so by dying while in office. So they don't become ex-President while flying in a plane. So what 20th century President didn't die in office and didn't attend the normal inaugural ceremony?
Because that's not a contrived train of thought at all.
Peter the accountant

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm Then why was it a stand and stare? Were they not expecting it?
Beats me. My best guess is that they were all uncomfortable with the Inquisition. They did leave the category for last.
I knew the movie because we watched in high school, but not the musical.
Most good movie musicals were stage musicals first.

You got to watch Evita in school? The best I got was "Powers of Ten". (You can check that one out on YouTube.)
Sharp vs. pointy seems like total hair-splitting.
It's a very big difference, especially in how they are used. A sword is sharp along it's long edge. It's mainly used to slice and cut. A spear has a point on the end of it, which is used to jab into the opponent (whether man or beast).
Then why was it in the clue, other than as a red herring the size of Montana?
It's what I'd call a convenient fact for the writers. It's a red herring, for sure. But it's also presented last. And you've got to look at it in terms of the other facts presented in the clue. In particular, becoming ex-Pres while flying.
Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pm What was important in the clue is becoming an ex-President while flying. The flying bit eliminates the 1700s and 1800s. So we're dealing with 20th Century Presidents. You should also know that the outgoing President has almost always attended the inauguration ceremony of his successor. So he becomes the ex-President while watching that event. Those missing from the ceremony typically do so by dying while in office. So they don't become ex-President while flying in a plane. So what 20th century President didn't die in office and didn't attend the normal inaugural ceremony?
Because that's not a contrived train of thought at all.
That was the long explanation. The shorter version is more like:

President flying - 20th century.
Person becoming Ex-president not at inauguration = something unusual that's not dying in office.
That pretty much leaves Nixon.
Flying over MO - that works, since Nixon would fly from DC to his home in Southern CA upon leaving office.

The only other option would be some huge breach of protocol.

Living through the event helps. Score one for us old fogies. :mrgreen:

There's another red herring there with the airplane. Miss the Ex- part of President and you could land on LBJ pretty easily. Flying from TX to DC could take you over MO, depending on where you started in TX. (You'd need to know that JFK was shot in Dallas, which is in Eastern TX and would probably miss MO on a flight path back to DC.)
--Peter
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:03 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm I knew the movie because we watched in high school, but not the musical.
Most good movie musicals were stage musicals first.

You got to watch Evita in school? The best I got was "Powers of Ten". (You can check that one out on YouTube.)
My wife likes movies, and musicals, but she hated Evita (and I've never known her to "hate" any movie) because she says that there was way too much singing, there wasn't any non-sung lines at all, according to her (I haven't watched it).

So, if mrs. dhkendall was right, Evita is the most musical of any musicals. There is no musical more of a musical than Evita.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Peter the accountant

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:19 pm My wife likes movies, and musicals, but she hated Evita (and I've never known her to "hate" any movie) because she says that there was way too much singing, there wasn't any non-sung lines at all, according to her (I haven't watched it).
Wouldn't that cross the line from "musical" to "opera"? I have seen the movie, but don't recall if there were any spoken lines.

I had a similar complaint about "Les Miserables" - thinking it should have been called an opera due to the lack of spoken lines.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I loved the stage version of Evita I saw. The movie, not so much.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:03 pm
There's another red herring there with the airplane. Miss the Ex- part of President and you could land on LBJ pretty easily. Flying from TX to DC could take you over MO, depending on where you started in TX. (You'd need to know that JFK was shot in Dallas, which is in Eastern TX and would probably miss MO on a flight path back to DC.)
Keep in mind that LBJ was sworn in before AF1 took off from Love Field at his insistence.
OCSam
davey

Post by davey »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 pm
dhkendall wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:19 pm My wife likes movies, and musicals, but she hated Evita (and I've never known her to "hate" any movie) because she says that there was way too much singing, there wasn't any non-sung lines at all, according to her (I haven't watched it).
Wouldn't that cross the line from "musical" to "opera"? I have seen the movie, but don't recall if there were any spoken lines.

I had a similar complaint about "Les Miserables" - thinking it should have been called an opera due to the lack of spoken lines.
It's not that rare. They're called "sung-through" musicals. Other examples are Rent, Hamilton, Jesus Christ Superstar.
There are many operas that have dialogue, too - Mozart's Magic Flute, for example, and Carmen.