Monday, January 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Monday, January 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

OrangeSAM wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:28 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 pm Jamie Rosler won $100,000 a couple years ago on Millionaire.
She also appeared on The The Chase tho I don't know the date.
December 10, 2013. Let's see if this works:

ETA: Looks like Jay Rhee's and Steve Kaltenbaugh's J-Archive pages will need to be updated:
Steve split $35,000 with Season 27 5-time champion Jay Rhee on the 2013-10-10 episode of The Chase...
Also, that should be 2013-12-10.

EATA: I can't tell from this note whether she made it to the end or not. I think maybe she didn't?

FETA: She did not make the final Chase.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:34 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:44 pm
I researched it a little bit and Nixon is not the only President to skip an inauguration. I can't even find a complete list but at least one article I read says that it used to be common to snub the outgoing President and that FDR changed the tradition.
How could FDR do that? He died in office. So I'm sure he didn't attend HST's swearing in.
You're looking at the wrong end of FDR's presidency. The outgoing president when FDR became pres was Herbert Hoover. Presumably, FDR invited Hoover to the inauguration rather than telling him not to let the door hit his bum on the way out.
JErickson2021
Contributor

Post by JErickson2021 »

What makes me upset is that is takes so long for a 2-day+ champ to reign. Luckily, there will always be that one guy
Spoiler
Brandon Brooks
in this case.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:34 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:44 pm
I researched it a little bit and Nixon is not the only President to skip an inauguration. I can't even find a complete list but at least one article I read says that it used to be common to snub the outgoing President and that FDR changed the tradition.
How could FDR do that? He died in office. So I'm sure he didn't attend HST's swearing in. Maybe by inviting (so and so?, his predecessor) to his?

This FJ is fraught with loopholes and technicalities. Gotta just roll with it and pick the apocryphal version which is probably based on the change of Airplane call sign. This Missourian picked Nixon as instaget and was surprised fellow Baby Boomer Dave overthought it, or just never heard the plane story.
Even if the previous president was alive and did not attend the inauguration, they still tend to be in the DC area their last day. So I figured the only way a soon to be ex-President would be 2, 3 hours away by plane during a swearing in would mean something unique happened, and you can't get a much more unique presidential changeover than a resignation. Very WECIB logic, yes, but...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 pm
dhkendall wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:05 pm Btw, it's supposed to be "ZEER-o-eth", not "ZEE-roth", right? Have I been pronouncing it wrong all this time?
The clue said it was a six-letter word; your pronunciation makes it seven. "ZEER-oath" is more like it.
Right. I don't think it demands much thought. It's just "zero" with a "th" slapped on the end, after all.

I'll admit I thought of Truman first on FJ simply because of the Missouri reference, but it only made much sense if he was the incoming President, in which case he obviously wouldn't be the ex-President. After realizing that Nixon seemed like a WECIB?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

DBear wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:44 pm Disappointed that the contestants ran away from Spanish Inquisition and left it unfinished.
Pointed weapon + Africa = spear, every time.
6600 trash: How to fix a squeaky door, Windows 2.0, heresy (easy peasy), in effigy DD (WECIB), zeroth (another WECIB), Hungary, elephant DD (Ivory Coast, c'mon!). Got FJ by the same reasoning as Peter the Accountant. :D
What does WECIB stand for?
Douglas Squasoni
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:36 am
DBear wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:44 pm Disappointed that the contestants ran away from Spanish Inquisition and left it unfinished.
Pointed weapon + Africa = spear, every time.
6600 trash: How to fix a squeaky door, Windows 2.0, heresy (easy peasy), in effigy DD (WECIB), zeroth (another WECIB), Hungary, elephant DD (Ivory Coast, c'mon!). Got FJ by the same reasoning as Peter the Accountant. :D
What does WECIB stand for?
What Else Could It Be
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

That zeroth clue tilted me no end.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

26 right.

Jazz (2), Lighting (1), Handy (1), Roman (3), Spanish (1), 2.0 (3)
Arms (4), Thermodynamics (1), Women (3), Broadway (2), Authors (2), Oxymoronic (3)

Lach Trash: heresy, Hungary; Daily Double: elephant

Missouri in the clue led me down the Truman path as well.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $31,800
DDs: 2/3
LT: keyhole, Windows 2.0, Hello, Dolly!, Waitress, Hungary, (Elephant)
FJ!: :mrgreen:

Ran Coats of Arms and Musicals. Was in Hello, Dolly! TWICE within 3 months of one another with two different theatre groups, so no way I was missing that. One side of my family is Hungarian; again, no way I'd have missed one about Szent István király (King St. Stephen) (Pron: sent EESHT-vahn KEY-rah-ee).

Instaget FJ!. Nixon's callsign changed while in the air at the moment Ford took the oath of office.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:19 pm
nlw44 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:45 pm but my understanding is that Ford really became the president and Nixon became an ex-president the moment Nixon's letter of resignation was accepted by Kissinger. The timing of the oath of office should be immaterial.
Correct.
I assume the pilot of Nixon's plane deferred to his passenger, who stated that his resignation was effective at noon. According to the pilot's memoir (told in the third person, and quoted by the NYT)-

“Air Force One was 39,000 feet over a point 13 miles southwest of Jefferson City, Missouri...The time was 3 minutes and 25 seconds past noon. Albertazzie picked up his microphone and spoke to ground control: ‘Kansas City, this was Air Force One. Will you change our call sign to SAM 27000?’
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/17/us/po ... azzie.html

Whether J! owes Nixon the same deference is another question...
An account of the inaugural says the oath actually came at 12:05.

Once I shook off the MO-Truman Pavlov, Nixon came fairly easily. It did take me 15-20 seconds though.

The word zeroth is completely new to me. Even my spellcheck doesn't recognize it!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Coryat: 19800 (8200 + 11600)
31R (+22600)
3W (-2800)
LT: keyhole, squeaky door, (effigy), Kalanick, (elephant)
FJ: :mrgreen:

"Zeroth" was a little irksome to me - I've heard of the zeroth law, but I've always heard it pronounced "zeroeth," which I'm not sure would have counted, and the fact that it was specified to be a 6-letter answer tripped me a bit (didn't guess, but did bit of a facepalm upon hearing the answer).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:25 am Coryat: 19800 (8200 + 11600)
31R (+22600)
3W (-2800)

"Zeroth" was a little irksome to me - I've heard of the zeroth law, but I've always heard it pronounced "zeroeth," which I'm not sure would have counted, and the fact that it was specified to be a 6-letter answer tripped me a bit (didn't guess, but did bit of a facepalm upon hearing the answer).
ya, I wonder why they felt the need to specify six letters. Were they afraid someone would say "genesis"? I didn't know the naming was accredited to a person; that seems bogus. Of course Murray Gell Mann gets the props for naming quarks, after the James Joyce citation.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:36 am What does WECIB stand for?
"What else could it be?" It's often used in Learned League discussions.

On FJ, I ended up with Nixon because it's traditional for an outgoing president to attend the next president's inauguration. Ford, of course, had no inaugural ceremony (though he did give us the amusing line, "I'm a Ford, not a Lincoln").
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

OrangeSAM wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:28 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 pm Jamie Rosler won $100,000 a couple years ago on Millionaire.
She also appeared on The The Chase tho I don't know the date.
I'd like to appear on one game show - is that too much to ask?! :P
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:25 am Coryat: 19800 (8200 + 11600)
31R (+22600)
3W (-2800)

Saw it lot in print in a couple of Asimov's last books when he merged the "Lije Bailey/Daneel Olivaw/Caves of Steel" robot detective series of books with the "Foundation" universe. In the final book Daneel Olivaw postulated his own "Zeroth Law of Robotics" to supercede the first three laws. I had never heard the word pronounced before AT did it (my mental pronunciation was always "zer-oath") but having seen it in print made the clue a lot easier.

Have to admit I therefore thought the word had been coined by Asimov; it was interesting to learn the neologism was actually several decades older than I thought.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Weird, here in Baltimore we had a repeat of the game won by that woman Blair who had 90% of her hair combed to her left side. For a while I thought they brought her back, but then I saw the clue about "Dude Looks Like a Lady" and realized it was a repeat.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Loved watching Jamie play, and I was hoping she'd stick around for another game. But honestly, zebra?!?