Tuesday, January 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

I like Lindsay but her final wager was a disapointment. If she were willing to let Matt back in the game with a greater than 1799 bet, the very least she should shoot for is $10401 to counter a venusian 800 wager from Brandon. Otherwise, put it all up but a buck.

Matt took a lot of shot-in-the-dark guesses on stuff but I'm surprised he didn't try lockust on that Bible verse clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew some famous Roman died in the Vesuvius eruption, but couldn't have told you who. I did not know the Plinys were uncle and nephew, but it was as good a guess as any.

Started rooting for Lindsay when she said tarnation.

LT on Encyclopedia Brown.
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mikebdoss »

Being a beer fan got me to Pliny as well - I remember looking them up when I first had the beer(s), and remarking at the time that they weren't father and son. That stuck, somehow. We've got a brewery down here that has close connections to Russian River Brewing, so we'll get our share in February too.

I assume that the Elder being mentioned in the clue is the reason they didn't require "the younger" in the response.
Last edited by mikebdoss on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

2/2 on daily doubles. I missed FJ and guessed Ptolemy. For some reason I thought there was a Roman academic Ptolemy.

Poor game for me overall. I really, really hope that "Shoes" is not a category on the shoe if I ever get on. I'm totally (see what I did there? And in the previous sentence?) in favor of learning things I don't know and focusing on my weak categories, but I don't think I'll ever bring myself to study shoes.

I missed the tubular clue and that's my favorite level in Super Mario World.
Blue Lion wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 pm Every beer geek in the audience got tonight's Final Jeopardy.
Wrong.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Alex said "Singing in the Rain" when the clue said "Singin'".

Got Pliny the Younger. Do NOT agree with letting the contestants get away with just Pliny. That's an obvious case of BMS if I've ever seen one. What next? Will they accept "Who is Roosevelt?" "Who is Caesar?" In this case, the clue even mentioned PtheY's famous uncle so you wouldn't accidentally pick the wrong one.
As mikebdoss said, the mention of the Elder in the clue is the reason why Younger wasn't necessary in the response. I know I wouldn't have got it without that TOM.
Yeah, Alex said Singing...He also said Make 'Em Laugh...as if O'Connor was tickling Dorothy Gail's auntie... :lol:
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I got FJ but it was a total WAG, and I was as surprised to get it right as Brandon was when he won his first game.

Personally, I thought the "Bees" DJ was too easy even for Kids' Week.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Alex didn't even give the LTAM. How the hell did we run out of time YET AGAIN?!? This is goddamn ridiculous.

====

80s Words and Shoes felt very YEKIOYD. "Chill pill" was the only 80's term I recognized, and I didn't know it was an 80's term.

Donald Sterling = Clippers also seemed very obscure for the top box.

I also saw no way to figure out what city Eminem and Drake would've toured in together. Could've just as easily been Toronto, or neither of their hometowns.

Not a guess on FJ! Name rings no bells at all.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:24 pm Donald Sterling = Clippers also seemed very obscure for the top box.
And I'd agree...except I read a sports blog for this exact reason.

It was not a tiny blip of a story either; it went on for weeks.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Lots of LT (6) for me too, but Lindsay seems like a decent champion; her Coryat score was the highest, and she has a solid (50%?) chance of repeating.
Category 13 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:52 pm I like Lindsay but her final wager was a disapointment. If she were willing to let Matt back in the game with a greater than 1799 bet, the very least she should shoot for is $10401 to counter a venusian 800 wager from Brandon. Otherwise, put it all up but a buck.
You're absolutely correct, but considering how contestants continually screw up something much simpler, like first round DD betting, did you honestly expect a random contestant to make a reasonable FJ wager in that spot? I've even stopped pointing it out, to be honest.
Category 13 wrote: Matt took a lot of shot-in-the-dark guesses on stuff but I'm surprised he didn't try lockust on that Bible verse clue.
It's good to be aggressive and even ring in when the name doesn't immediately come to you, but you hope it will during the 4-5 seconds they give you after buzzing. And then there is just wild guessing with clearly wrong/unlikely responses. I'm afraid he fell more into the latter category.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I assign full credit for answering FJ correctly to the Sawbones podcast and their favorite recurring character in medical history.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

'80s words, you had to be there. Shoes on the other hand I could live well without ever seeing it as a category again. Donald Sterling was big news such that even I heard of it and I hate pro basketball. If there's anything Eminem is known for, it's being from Detroit.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:07 am If there's anything Eminem is known for, it's being from Detroit.
True, but he's not the only rapper from Detroit. And the clue also mentioned Drake, who is Canadian.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:02 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:40 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:38 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm I had to laugh a bit when Lindsay took up a drawl when picking a clue in the Tarnation category. You gotta have your fun where you can.
Agreed. I was disappointed no one answered any of the 80s lingo clues in Valley Girlspeak.
'grody' would've been the perfect time to do it :P
Totally!
Tubular idea, dude!
--Peter
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm disappointed that Tarantino appeared in a J! round clue, thus disqualifying him from showing up in the WHAT IN TARNATION category.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:43 am I'm disappointed that Tarantino appeared in a J! round clue, thus disqualifying him from showing up in the WHAT IN TARNATION category.
Wow, that is disappointing (now that you mention it).

Regarding "grody", my uninformed opinion is that it may come from "grotesque", which kids sometimes use (or used to use) to intensify grossness. And looking it up just now, the OED's earliest citation of "grotty" is the movie "A Hard Day's Night"!
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:05 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:43 am I'm disappointed that Tarantino appeared in a J! round clue, thus disqualifying him from showing up in the WHAT IN TARNATION category.
Wow, that is disappointing (now that you mention it).
And to my knowledge, there has never been a response in one of those "every response can be found in the letters in [word]" categories that was an anagram of [word].
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Socrates wasn't the greatest guess on Brandon's part. Over 400 years too early and he didn't actually write anything.
And plus he was Greek not Roman.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

There's a Pliny the Younger? Oh, snap. I almost pulled off my greatest WAG ever by pulling Pliny the Elder out of the deep recesses. He was my only possibility for a Roman dude that wasn't some emperor Caesar, Caligula, Nero, ad infinitum. But I only have him with a middle name "the" and surname "Elder" :roll: .
And all I had to do was say just "Pliny"? Pretty generous, that.

I don't really mind the unplayed clues unless they are caused by long boring video clues. It's still 50 more quality questions than you get from 25 minutes of annoying Trivia HQ that you can't fast forward. The pace doesn't seem that much slower.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:14 pm As mikebdoss said, the mention of the Elder in the clue is the reason why Younger wasn't necessary in the response.
That might be the reason, but I don't agree with it. There's nothing in the clue that mentions the two shared a name. I really think a correct response should have required "the Younger."

I also got this one largely based on the Russian River beers, although I've never had either Pliny the Elder or Younger. As an aside I just bought a six pack of Sierra Nevada's new spring seasonal: Hop Bullet DIPA. It's OK, but have to say I'm somewhat underwhelmed.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:15 pm I went with Josephus.
Josephus was my second choice. I went with Herodotus, so I was only off by 500 years and one civilization, but other than that, spot on.