Wednesday, January 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7673, 2018-01-10

Gilbert Collins game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Flora Leen, a proofreader and editor from Studio City, California
Gilbert Collins, a university administrator from Princeton, New Jersey
Lindsay Resnick, an archivist from Atlanta, Georgia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $10,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. At the end of yesterday's program, the contestants and I were talking about something that I think you folks at home will have noticed. So far in this new season, 2018, the material seems to be more difficult than was the case, say, last year. And as a result, we haven't had any really big wins. Lindsay, case in point, winning $10,001 only. Gilbert, Flora, Lindsay, I hope you turn things around today. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Let's see if these categories will make it easier for the three of you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YOU ARE NOW ENTERING THE TWILIGHT ZONE (2/4)
MAPPING OUT ASIA (5/5)
A CLUE OF GAME (3/4)
HIS WIDOW LIVED ON (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LETHAL WEAPON (3/3)
"HAND" IT OVER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gilbert: 9 R, 2 W
Lindsay: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Flora: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Gilbert: $3,800
Lindsay: $1,600
Flora: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Flora Leen, the first person we introduced on the program today is from Studio City, California, and she has spent time with former cannibals. Where?

Flora: New Guinea island. It was now what they call West Papua, Irian Jaya.

Alex: Mm-hm. How much time did you spend there?

Flora: Two weeks.

Alex: So you got to have meals with them, right?

Flora: I had meals with them. What I did was I brought them a lot of cigarettes and nail polish.

Alex: Okay.

Flora: To appease them.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Gilbert Collins, university administrator from Princeton, New Jersey, but a Wisconsin native. A proud Wisconsin native.

Gilbert: That's right. Lifelong cheesehead.

Alex: I understand whenever you go back home to Wisconsin, you make sure to pick up some items to take back to New Jersey. What?

Gilbert: That's right. Every time my family and I do a road trip to see my sister, we pack up the car with a trunk full of cheese and bratwurst and haul it back to New Jersey with us.

Alex: And you've gotta be extra popular when you show up with all those goodies.

Alex: All righty. Lindsay Resnick is our champ. She is from Atlanta, Georgia, and she has a phobia.

Lindsay: I do.

Alex: What is it?

Lindsay: It's called lepidopterophobia.

Alex: You're afraid of butterflies?

Lindsay: I am.

Alex: Why? When did this start?

Lindsay: It started as far back as I can remember. You can ask my family. I used to get made fun of a lot for it as a kid, but I think it's just 'cause they're creepy-crawly bugs just like any other bugs.

Alex: But not when they become butterflies they're not creepy-crawly. They're beautiful.

Lindsay: No, they're gross.

Alex: Okay.

Lindsay: Sorry to disappoint.

Alex: Thank you for clarifying.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lindsay found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Lindsay had $1,800, Gilbert had $3,800, and Flora was at $800. Lindsay made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

HIS WIDOW LIVED ON $800: This president from Ohio was assassinated in 1881; his widow moved to South Pasadena, dying in 1918 aged 85
(Lindsay: Who is William McKinley?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HIS WIDOW LIVED ON $600: In Feb. 2009 the former Maria Elena Santiago, married to this Texan musician for 6 months, marked 50 years as his widow
(Lindsay: Who is Ritchie Valens?)

HIS WIDOW LIVED ON $1000: The USA's first female licensed glider pilot, she died age 94 in 2001, 26 years after her husband

A CLUE OF GAME $400: In Romania, this classic kids game with songs is called "Birdie, Move Your Nest"

YOU ARE NOW ENTERING THE TWILIGHT ZONE $600: From Rod Serling's opening:
"You're traveling through another dimension...not only of sight & sound, but of" this
(Lindsay: What is time?)
(Alex: We have less than a minute now.)

YOU ARE NOW ENTERING THE TWILIGHT ZONE $800: In an early role, this actor played Mr. Death, sent to collect an old lady who refuses to face the end

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Gilbert: $4,000
Flora: $1,600
Lindsay: $1,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORY TIME (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
REAL NAMES ON THE MARQUEE (3/5) (Alex: You have to give us their professional names as we deal with...)
21st CENTURY FICTION (3/3)
PUTTING UP A SMOKE SCREEN (4/5)
DOUBLE TALK (4/5)
JOBFUSCATION (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Flora: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Gilbert: 7 R, 1 W
Lindsay: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Flora snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Lindsay had $5,200, Gilbert had $8,000, and Flora was at $5,200. Flora wagered $3,000.

HISTORY TIME $1600: Orator Dolores Ibarruri coined the Republican battle cry "No pasaran" ("They shall not pass") during this war
(Flora: French and Indian War.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
JOBFUSCATION $1600: Your I.T. guy has to figure out if the problem is with the chips or the salsa--these 2 words that end in the same 4 letters

DOUBLE TALK $1200: Polka-dot jacket, pants, shirt & tie? It's this type of fashion folly

REAL NAMES ON THE MARQUEE $1600: Charles Buchinsky & James Bumgarner in "The Great Escape"

REAL NAMES ON THE MARQUEE $2000: Margaret Smith & Maurice Micklewhite in "California Suite"

PUTTING UP A SMOKE SCREEN $2000: Early in the 20th c. the original "smoke-filled room" in a Chicago hotel chose him as the GOP nominee & soon, the pres.
(Lindsay: Who is Theodore Roosevelt?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Gilbert: $11,200
Flora: $7,000
Lindsay: $4,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SENATORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Gilbert: Wager $2,801 to cover Flora.
Flora: You have the hope of surpassing Gilbert if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $4,201 to force Gilbert to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Lindsay.
Lindsay: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $4,398 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last names of these 2 current senators, one from Virginia & one from Massachusetts, are anagrams of each other

FINAL SCORES
Lindsay: $4,400 - $4,399 = $1 (Who are Warren and ??? :() (3rd place: $1,000)
Flora: $7,000 - $4,300 = $2,700 (Who are Warren V) (2nd place: $2,000)
Gilbert: $11,200 - $2,801 = $8,399 (Who are Kerry Aiken + Kaine) (New champion: $8,399)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Gilbert: $11,200, 16 R, 3 W
Flora: $10,000, 13 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Lindsay: $6,200, 13 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $27,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Gilbert: 16/58 = .276
Lindsay: 13/59 = .220
Flora: 13/59 = .220
Team: 42/63 = .667

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"HAND" IT OVER $400: Proverbially, someone on the wrong road might be traveling to Hades via this transport

"HAND" IT OVER $800: This blues composer born in Alabama in 1873 lived to be 84

LETHAL WEAPON $200: In 1978 the U.S. military stopped using this, which can produce a 2,000-degree wall of fire
(Gilbert: What is napalm?)

LETHAL WEAPON $800: Depending on who's wielding it, this item here can be either a nifty Irish walking stick or a cudgel
(Gilbert: What's a cane?)

DOUBLE TALK $800: It's the full name of the dog breed seen here

HISTORY TIME $800: He's the 17th-century English king shown here with his co-ruler--note what color he's wearing

REAL NAMES ON THE MARQUEE $400: Tom Mapother IV & Demetria Guynes in "A Few Good Men"
(Gilbert: What is Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson?)

PUTTING UP A SMOKE SCREEN $1200: The Vatican says potassium chlorate, lactose & pine rosin create this after 2/3 of the votes for a new pope come in
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

21st CENTURY FICTION $1200: People magazine called this 2006 Sara Gruen novel a "surprising portrayal of life in a traveling circus in the '30s"
(Flora: What is Like Water for Chocolate?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
James Garfield
Buddy Holly
Anne Morrow Lindbergh
musical chairs
mind
Robert Redford
the Spanish Civil War
the hardware or the software
matchy-matchy
Charles Bronson and James Garner
Maggie Smith and Michael Caine
Warren Harding
Elizabeth Warren and Mark Warner
a handbasket
W.C. Handy
a flamethrower
a shillelagh
a Chow Chow
William of Orange
Tom Cruise and Demi Moore
the white smoke
Water for Elephants
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SENATORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last names of these 2 current senators, one from Virginia & one from Massachusetts, are anagrams of each other

Lindsay Resnick: 4400-4399=1
Gilbert Collins: 11200-2801=8399 (New Champ)
Flora Leen: 7000-4300=2700

Correct response:
Spoiler
Warren & Warner (Lindsay – Warren and) (Gilbert – Kerry Aiken & Kaine) (Flora – Warren)

Daily Doubles
Lindsay: 1800-1800
Flora: 5200-3000
DD3: Not Found

Coryats
Lindsay: 6200
Gilbert: 11200
Flora: 10000

Combined: 27,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Lindsay: 1200
Gilbert: 4000
Flora: 1600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DOUBLE TALK $1200: Polka-dot jacket, pants, shirt & tie? It’s this type of fashion folly

That was a never heard of it for me in letting the middle clue cost me a run of the category.

I’m with Alex in being in disbelief that no one could identify the picture one of the most famous actors of all time. It has to be one of those monitor distance things that handicap the players on stage or being thrown by the category and not knowing he appeared in the Serling series.

The powers could anticipate all of the screaming about The Twilight Zone category not finished and added a pop-up graphic too see it here: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/features/unused-clues

The FJ! Clue had me testing my weakness with anagrams. I wrote the last name of the MA senator and stared at it. VA senator? Got me. I mentally tried reworking the name I had and could not get anything with Raw- or Ren- It took more than half of the time for me to unjumble it to lock in a no doubt hit once I got there as I have heard of the VA guy.

The players all were left stranded with one name and no match. Gilbert was really in no man’s land as he did have a VA senator, but the wrong one. That would suck for anyone who got messed up the other way in trying to work with (Ed) Markey.
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

The Carousel is back. :D
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Tricky FJ as Warner just isn't in the news very much. Unless you live in VA or the DC area, or are a political junkie - I'm guessing this polls fairly low and I'm not surprised none of the contestants got it. Gilbert did a good job to come up with an actual name to counter Kaine - pretty impressive for an incorrect response!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

What depths of hell did this FJ come from?

Wordplay and current senators? yuck. I know there will be people on this board who will get it right, but on the show this FJ is a triple stumper nine times in ten.

I would have wagered zero to begin with and had a lovely doodle for the world to see had I been up there.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 pm Tricky FJ as Warner just isn't in the news very much. Unless you live in VA or the DC area, or are a political junkie - I'm guessing this polls fairly low and I'm not surprised none of the contestants got it. Gilbert did a good job to come up with an actual name to counter Kaine - pretty impressive for an incorrect response!
He is well known as Larry Fortensky's predecessor. Granted, that was a long time ago and I wasn't sure he was still alive, but once I thought of him, the anagram wasn't hard to figure.
I'm smart and I want respect.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I wonder if this was a Final from an extra ToC board that got pushed into regular play because of the chance it goes stale before the next ToC.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had Warren...and then nothing for the other name.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I had Warren and "Erwan".

As the contestant's answers were revealed, I was able to come up with Warner as a better guess... not that I have heard of the person.

I agree with Alex's Robert Redford surprise. Movies are usually my strongsuit but I did really bad in the marquee names category.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

boson wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 pm What depths of hell did this FJ come from?

Wordplay and current senators? yuck. I know there will be people on this board who will get it right, but on the show this FJ is a triple stumper nine times in ten.

I would have wagered zero to begin with and had a lovely doodle for the world to see had I been up there.
Anagrams and senators will haunt my dreams tonight. The horror! The horror!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Never heard of Warner. But once I thought of Warren, that was the obvious anagram. I'm surprised we had not just one but two contestants who had no guess on the second name. Kudos to Gilbert for coming up with a plausible possibility.

Presidents who died in office is Jeopardy! 101. Don't come to the show without knowing them. It could cost you. They also serve as tent poles between which you can string trivia about presidents who came before and after with approximate dates. That's the advantage of having our presidents die in office at regular intervals. I'd make a joke here involving the word "overdue," but I don't want a visit from the Secret Service.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

My initial thoughts for MA Senators were Kennedy and Kerry, neither of whom are currently there (of course, Kennedy is deceased). Fortunately, it didn't take me long to recover and come up with Warren then Warner.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:46 pm Never heard of Warner. But once I thought of Warren, that was the obvious anagram. I'm surprised we had not just one but two contestants who had no guess on the second name. Kudos to Gilbert for coming up with a plausible possibility.

Presidents who died in office is Jeopardy! 101. Don't come to the show without knowing them. It could cost you. They also serve as tent poles between which you can string trivia about presidents who came before and after with approximate dates. That's the advantage of having our presidents die in office at regular intervals. I'd make a joke here involving the word "overdue," but I don't want a visit from the Secret Service.
Last semester, I mentioned Tecumseh's curse to our team. But it did end with Reagan.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

tiwonge wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:08 pm Last semester, I mentioned Tecumseh's curse to our team. But it did end with Reagan.
Unless you subscribe to the Zombie Reagan theory.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I joined the players in having an awful game. I'd like to forget it, but it is what it is.

R: 20, W: 6, costing a whopping 7400
Coryat: 4800
FJ: :(
LT: mind. I'm not claiming Redford as I was asking myself if that was him just as Alex was revealing the name.
DD: 0/2

I did OK in the J! round. Ran "hand" and got one or two in all of the other categories.

But I rang in way too much on the DJ round with wrong answers. Soda jerk instead of dishwasher. Pocahontas instead of Sacajawea. India instead of Pakistan. Teddy instead of Harding. Soda jerk was a plain old bad guess. Pocahontas was answering too fast. India was not knowing enough (I thought the river flowed mainly through India. It does not. Not at all.) Roosevelt was an educated, but still wrong, guess. (I'm sure there was a bit of back room dealing to get him to accept the VP job.) I lost points in the DJ round, even though I got twice as many right as wrong. Plus I stared at three full categories.

FJ wasn't happening for me. Had I not given up so quickly, I might have thought of Warren as from MA. But I woudn't know who to anagram that into.

I did instaget the missing Twilight Zone clue!
Spoiler
Jaws
Unfortunately, that counts for precisely nothing.
--Peter
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I guess that knowing the current list of senators isn't something that gets asked in trivia as much as it used to, but I still try to keep up with them anyway, so I got FJ right. I thought that Gilbert was going to win in a big runaway the way that he was playing early on, but Lindsay and Flora persisted.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:47 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 pm Tricky FJ as Warner just isn't in the news very much. Unless you live in VA or the DC area, or are a political junkie - I'm guessing this polls fairly low and I'm not surprised none of the contestants got it. Gilbert did a good job to come up with an actual name to counter Kaine - pretty impressive for an incorrect response!
He is well known as Larry Fortensky's predecessor. Granted, that was a long time ago and I wasn't sure he was still alive, but once I thought of him, the anagram wasn't hard to figure.
Wrong Warner from Virginia. Elizabeth Taylor's husband was John Warner, who is no longer a senator. The relevant one here is Mark Warner. I don't think they are related.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

I'm surprised how difficult the FJ is seeming to be. Warren came to mind early on, and then it was very easy to move over to the other senator.

I'd be curious, of those who got the correct answer, how many started with Warren and how many with Warner.