Tuesday, January 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by acthomas »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:00 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 pm Every beer geek in the audience got tonight's Final Jeopardy.
Wrong.
Every true Scotsman beer geek in the audience.

If anything I wonder if the temptation to reflexively answer Pliny the Elder (the more well known of the two beers) would have hampered things. Probably not, based on the cluing.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:00 pm Poor game for me overall. I really, really hope that "Shoes" is not a category on the shoe if I ever get on. I'm totally (see what I did there? And in the previous sentence?) in favor of learning things I don't know and focusing on my weak categories, but I don't think I'll ever bring myself to study shoes.
LMAO I'll take shoes over Bible any day of the week, but these clues were murder. IMO Nine West was pure evil - I bet none of you got that one ;)

The 'Williams' response really irked me, but glad he got it right

Hated these boards! Got Pliny, missed Triton

LTAM? Schnell! Schnell!

Never been to Vienna, so didn't recognize any names in that clue

On the FJ wagers, I get that Lindsay should stay above 2x 3rd place, but I don't follow the other option. Why would Brandon bet $800 venusian? OK I see it now as I type this. Brandon might assume Lindsay will bet $1800 to tie a double up from 3rd, giving her $8800 on a correct response, which he ties with a wrong answer. This hurts my brain :?
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:35 am I also got this one largely based on the Russian River beers, although I've never had either Pliny the Elder or Younger. As an aside I just bought a six pack of Sierra Nevada's new spring seasonal: Hop Bullet DIPA. It's OK, but have to say I'm somewhat underwhelmed.
I picked up a sixer of Hop Bullet over the weekend. Pleasant sipping ale, but I'm in no hurry to buy another. Celebration is my favorite Sierra Nevada product, but the only place that carried it this season was the local Costco.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Being a mall geek, I have seen Nine West many times.... and I STILL didn't get the clue.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 right.

"A" Country (4), Shoes (0), 80's (2), Villains (5), Bugs (4), Luther (0)
Bounty (2), Donald (4), Guest (3), Lit (1), Iowa (2), Tarnation (1)

Lach Trash: Django Unchained, John Aniston, locust, Donald Fagen, Encyclopedia Brown

Instaget FJ.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm Being a mall geek, I have seen Nine West many times.... and I STILL didn't get the clue.
Nine West was named for its founding location in the Solow Building at 9 West 57th Street in New York City.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:35 am
davey wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:14 pm As mikebdoss said, the mention of the Elder in the clue is the reason why Younger wasn't necessary in the response.
That might be the reason, but I don't agree with it. There's nothing in the clue that mentions the two shared a name. I really think a correct response should have required "the Younger."
Same here. I remain unswayed. Imagine an FJ in the category 19TH CENTURY PRESIDENTS: "This president served in the office almost 48 times as long as his grandfather did." Are we really going to accept "Who is Harrison?" William Henry is referenced in the clue as "his grandfather," so obviously the response refers to Benjamin and there's no way the contestant doesn't know that. Right? Come on!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:03 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:35 am
davey wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:14 pm As mikebdoss said, the mention of the Elder in the clue is the reason why Younger wasn't necessary in the response.
That might be the reason, but I don't agree with it. There's nothing in the clue that mentions the two shared a name. I really think a correct response should have required "the Younger."
Same here. I remain unswayed. Imagine an FJ in the category 19TH CENTURY PRESIDENTS: "This president served in the office almost 48 times as long as his grandfather did." Are we really going to accept "Who is Harrison?" William Henry is referenced in the clue as "his grandfather," so obviously the response refers to Benjamin and there's no way the contestant doesn't know that. Right? Come on!
Perhaps the argument is they were both named Pliny. The "Elder" and "Younger" bit is how we differentiate them, but not technically part of their names. But I can tell you I certainly wouldn't have risked just writing "Pliny."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought it was clear the person was writing about an elder relative. Yes, there are instances in which a person is older than their aunt or uncle, but it is rather rare. So I felt confident writing down just "Who is Pliny"?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:20 pm I thought it was clear the person was writing about an elder relative. Yes, there are instances in which a person is older than their aunt or uncle, but it is rather rare. So I felt confident writing down just "Who is Pliny"?
Yes, but we can't tell from your answer of "Pliny" whether or not you know there are two famous Plinys.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm Being a mall geek, I have seen Nine West many times.... and I STILL didn't get the clue.
I suspect this would/will poll pretty low. The real division is between those who have at least heard or seen the name somewhere and those who can't confidently say even that. I'm with you in the former category, but just barely. I'm not sure I could've told you their specialty was shoes, only that they were involved in women's apparel somehow.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:57 pm
I suspect this would/will poll pretty low. The real division is between those who have at least heard or seen the name somewhere and those who can't confidently say even that. I'm with you in the former category, but just barely. I'm not sure I could've told you their specialty was shoes, only that they were involved in women's apparel somehow.
Count me in with those that have heard of 9 West, but:
1) couldn't recall the name quickly, and
2) didn't know they sold shoes.

I also knew that some shoe brand is known (among people who know such things), for their red soles. But I can't tell you the name of the brand. That's one of those trivia bits that I can only solve in one direction, but not the other. ... For now. ;)
--Peter
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My big "Shoes" moment was coming up with Capezio.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:47 pm My big "Shoes" moment was coming up with Capezio.
My stupid brain added a letter. Caprezio. Ooooh... sohrry.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Having worked at a shoe store earlier in my life I came up with Capezio and 9 West right away.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:35 pm My stupid brain added a letter. Caprezio. Ooooh... sohrry.
That's only if you cover your dance shoes with tomato, basil, and mozzarella.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bbird wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:35 pm My stupid brain added a letter. Caprezio. Ooooh... sohrry.
That's only if you cover your dance shoes with tomato, basil, and mozzarella.
Silly wabbit. Penguins don't dance with shoes on.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:34 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:20 pm I thought it was clear the person was writing about an elder relative. Yes, there are instances in which a person is older than their aunt or uncle, but it is rather rare. So I felt confident writing down just "Who is Pliny"?
Yes, but we can't tell from your answer of "Pliny" whether or not you know there are two famous Plinys.
The closest parallel I can think of might be "Dumas pere" and "Dumas fils." I went through the archive; there about three times as many references to pere than to fils, but I couln't come to a conclusion about whether or not they consistenly require the modifier. Several clues seem to be similar to the Pliny elder/younger debate with simply "Dumas" being acceptable.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:37 pm The closest parallel I can think of might be "Dumas pere" and "Dumas fils."
What about the Dumas Walker?