Friday, January 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, January 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by tiwonge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 pm How did "Carnation" fit the "Gold & Silver" category? There was nothing silver or gold in that at all.
It was in the January category.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 pm Any reason why "asteroid belt" does NOT BMS to Kuiper Belt? All the things they do BMS, and not that?
The asteroid belt is between Mars and Jupiter. Pluto is not in this location, nor is the Kuiper Belt.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 pm I work in a church and I didn't get January 6 = Epiphany right either. For some reason I thought it was the 5th.
This is moderately confusing to me, too. If you count the 12 days of Christmas (incidentally, probably why Alisha guessed Jan. 12) with Christmas as day #1 (which it is), the 12th day of Christmas is Jan. 5. But Epiphany is the next day, and I tend to think of Epiphany as the 12th day of Christmas. But I guess it's not.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 pm Totally bombed 11 Letters. I had a couple of them, but "astigmatism" didn't feel like 11 letters to me.
I went with nonproliferation instead of disarmament, but it's too long. (I guess, technically, nonproliferation is about not allowing new countries to get nukes, and disarmament is about having countries with nukes to give them up. So I guess it would not have been accurate, anyway.) I'm not a huge fan of categories that require words to be of a certain length, because if I have a guess, I'm not going to take the time to count out the letters.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 pm I had no idea where to go on FJ! 90 million felt way too big to be ANY African country.
Nigeria has more than twice that number of people. It has about 190 million people. It is not just the most populous country in Africa (by a long shot), it is the 7th most populous country in the world. (China, India, US, Indonesia, Brazil, Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Russia, Japan are the top 10.) Lagos, the former capital of Nigeria, is the 4th largest city (proper) in the world, 24th largest urban area in the world, and 12th largest metropolitan area in the world. (So it's a big city, and its world ranking depends on how you want to define city.)

Ethiopia, the second-most populous country in Africa, has about 105 million. (My guess of South Africa for #2 only has 54 million.)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

tiwonge wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:08 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:02 pm Tonight's FJ category ... Shitholes.
I see I wasn't the only person to think about this.
Yeah, aren't we funny people :lol: . I answered what is the shithole Egypt. I've hated on the conventional 7 continent convention previously, but is the Middle East in Africa or what? I stuck with Egypt, wondering about Iran as a possible sleeper. I figured Nigeria, Ethiopia, or Kenya would surely fill out the top two spots so it wouldn't be a trap question with another desert country in #1 or #2.

Good game, Gilbert, I thought we lost you there in the middle when Alex made a showing before disappearing. Very solid, I don't remember any misses from you in regular play. I was yelling Steinbeck for you, but it was an oblique clue. Why do they do double answers, especially on a DD?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

tiwonge wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:08 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:02 pm Tonight's FJ category ... Shitholes.
I see I wasn't the only person to think about this.
I wasn't gonna say it . . .
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 pm Why do they do double answers, especially on a DD?
DDs are the right time to do double answers. The contestant has a little extra time to process the clue and come up with both parts.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I did a TD a long, long time ago that asked for #11-20 most populous countries, and remembered that Ethiopia and Egypt were on that list. (I also remembered Nigeria was #1 in Africa.) And Ethiopia is not 90% desert.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 pm Why do they do double answers, especially on a DD?
DDs are the right time to do double answers. The contestant has a little extra time to process the clue and come up with both parts.
They are just bad anytime IMHO, even in Final Jeopardy unless there is a substantial entanglement. You've gotta dumb down the two halves and even the best laid clues are gang aft agley.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:33 pm
They are just bad anytime IMHO, even in Final Jeopardy unless there is a substantial entanglement. You've gotta dumb down the two halves and even the best laid clues are gang aft agley.
Sorry, but I'm with OTP on this one. Daily Doubles are perfect for two-response clues, and the show deliberately often designs it that way.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Stupid Youtube copyright restrictions...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 pm
Sorry, but I'm with OTP on this one. Daily Doubles are perfect for two-response clues, and the show deliberately often designs it that way.
Agreed, but still abhor them. It invites negs for pronunciation and BMS's as well. I learned that tonight's clue was more entangled than I thought when I looked up how to spell "agley". I thought it was just a couple of unrelated uses of the Disney rodent across centuries and the ocean.

Speaking of pronunciation, did anybody hear "Koouiiper" for the Kuiper ("Kyper") belt? Maybe he is hitting the Dutch pronunciation? From wiki:

The Kuiper belt (/ ˈ k aɪ p ər / or Dutch pronunciation: ['kœy̯pǝr])

I'm glad AT didn't challenge it, somebody needed to make a better answer than the asteroid belt guess. But the Oort cloud wasn't a bad guess. I was happy when they demoted that shithole planet a few years ago. If you can't be on the plane of the ecliptic, you don't belong in our solar system! :twisted:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 pm I've hated on the conventional 7 continent convention previously, but is the Middle East in Africa or what?
No, the standard convention is that the Sinai Peninsula is considered part of Asia, so technically Egypt is in both Africa and Asia. Everything east of the Suez Canal is in Asia.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:07 am I was happy when they demoted that shithole planet a few years ago. If you can't be on the plane of the ecliptic, you don't belong in our solar system! :twisted:
Straight up ice trash.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

squarekara wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:49 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:07 am I was happy when they demoted that shithole planet a few years ago. If you can't be on the plane of the ecliptic, you don't belong in our solar system! :twisted:
Straight up ice trash.
Still better than being some bumblefuck asteroid.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

January (3), Pop Gold/Silver (5), "MEN" (2), Mummy (4), Oregon (2), Indicted (4)
Poetry (4), 11-Letter Words (2), One-Hit Wonder (3), Program (4), Car (1), Public (2)

Lach Trash: John Jacob Astor, January 6, Tender is the Night; Daily Doubles: Howard Carter, Fulbright Scholar Program
I had Morocco for FJ as well.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Anybody go with Algeria? I was mentally debating between the two before settling on Egypt.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BobF wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:23 am Anybody go with Algeria? I was mentally debating between the two before settling on Egypt.
My first thought was Nigeria, but I knew it was pretty high up on the list of WORLD countries by population. So no way was it only third in Africa. My very next thought was Egypt and I liked it. Mostly desert but still got a lot of people. It was only after that, that I considered Algeria. Also Libya, Morocco, and South Africa. Didn't like any of them enough to switch from Egypt. Libya and Morocco didn't seem populous enough. South Africa didn't seem desert-y enough.

Like others, I was surprised to learn that Ethiopia is number 2 on the list.

I thought this was a decent FJ. My mostly favorable feelings are no doubt colored by the fact that I got it right. But it does seem that with a little reasoning the correct response is attainable--not as a matter of certainty but as a WECIB. The "third most populous" stipulation seems a little obscure and arbitrary at first. But really, they're just steering you away from Nigeria on the one hand and countries that couldn't possibly have that many people on the other.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I decided quickly it was a Saharan country. My first thoughts were Algeria and Libya, but decided neither would be that populous. I then came to the conclusion that having a major world city like Cairo would make it more likely to have a huge population.

I did not know Ethiopia had that many people.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:56 am
BobF wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:23 am Anybody go with Algeria? I was mentally debating between the two before settling on Egypt.
My first thought was Nigeria, but I knew it was pretty high up on the list of WORLD countries by population. So no way was it only third in Africa. My very next thought was Egypt and I liked it. Mostly desert but still got a lot of people. It was only after that, that I considered Algeria. Also Libya, Morocco, and South Africa. Didn't like any of them enough to switch from Egypt. Libya and Morocco didn't seem populous enough. South Africa didn't seem desert-y enough.

Yup -- completely blanked on Ethiopia, which left me thinking Egypt was number two, which left me debating Libya vs. South Africa for number three. Went with Libya due to "90% desert". Turns out Libya isn't number three even among Saharan countries -- Morocco, Tunisia, and Algeria are all more populous. As are about 30 other African countries. Sigh.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:44 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:56 am

Yup -- completely blanked on Ethiopia, which left me thinking Egypt was number two, which left me debating Libya vs. South Africa for number three. Went with Libya due to "90% desert". Turns out Libya isn't number three even among Saharan countries -- Morocco, Tunisia, and Algeria are all more populous. As are about 30 other African countries. Sigh.
For the wrong reason, I figured that Ethiopia was in the top 5 at least and probably top 3, just because they always have a strong presence in track and field. I also thought Kenya was a top tier population country as well, and it is middle tier. Somehow I knew Nigeria was a major country, so that left me with either Egypt or Iran. I opted for the one I knew was in Africa for sure, and am advised that it is also in Asia. Sigh!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

No BMS on "Curry", considering there are at least 3 NBA players with that surname? (Steph's brother Seth, and their father Dell) Sloppy.

Nice to see a clue on Tender is the Night, an even greater novel than The Great Gatsby which isn't, however, required reading in schools, doesn't have a bunch of movie adaptations, nor gets put on all those best of lists.

As for FJ, I knew Nigeria had the highest population in Africa, incorrectly assumed Niger was second, and also knew that Egypt has a large population and was indeed over 90% desert. Easy.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

StevenH wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm I would have missed the FJ clue if not for the LL question this past season on Ethiopia. I had thought that Egypt was Africa's second most populous country, but in all the buzz around that question I learned that Ethiopia was actually #2.
This was my reasoning, I knew Nigeria was #1, thought Egypt was #2, so flipped a coin between Algeria and Sudan, landing on the more-wrong answer (ie the one that doesn’t border the correct answer)

Was expecting the home of Pawn Stars to pop up in either the question or the answer in the Pop Culture category ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012