Matchy-matchy???

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Have you heard of this before?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:30 am

Yes and I got it right.
10%
Yes, but I got it wrong.
19%
No, never.
71%

Total votes: 97

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Matchy-matchy???

Post by econgator »

So ....
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Matchy-matchy???

Post by heppm01 »

Then again, I don't think I've ever been in a situation where that phrase would come up. There's a reason people don't dress that way.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I think "matchy-matchy" was coined on one of the fashion-oriented reality TV shows. I don't watch them myself, but I have heard the term.
Teems with quiet fun.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

At least once a week it seems as if I run into a word or phrase that J! writers (and the scores of boardies that get it right) think is common, but I've never heard of in my life, making me wonder if I grew up in a different country and just didn't know it. I thought I reached my quota for the week with 'grody'; then they hit me with this 'matchy-matchy' nonsense. Yeesh :?
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:31 am At least once a week it seems as if I run into a word or phrase that J! writers (and the scores of boardies that get it right) think is common, but I've never heard of in my life, making me wonder if I grew up in a different country and just didn't know it. I thought I reached my quota for the week with 'grody'; then they hit me with this 'matchy-matchy' nonsense. Yeesh :?
Grody... to the max!

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I've only ever heard this pejorative term used by TV stylists trying to plug some godawful fashion trend, and usually only with regard to accessories. Back in my day, we were taught to coordinate shoes and belt, necklace and earrings, etc. Now, however, they want to put you in armadillo platform pumps and a "pop of color" handbag that doesn't "go with" anything else in your wardrobe.
davey

Post by davey »

It sounds like something Tim Gunn would use.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

There was no option for having heard of it but clamming or just recognizing it ex post facto. I voted as option #2, although I made no guess at all.

I might have thought it was made up by my wife or was meant for multiple persons instead of an autonomous outfit. It's probably fair game as a clue for a certain demographic.

(Edit - I think I made my idiot vote twice by accident. I'll just call it a matchy-matchy :oops: . Sorry to wreck the poll :( )
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Sounds like something a pyromaniac would say :lol:
Douglas Squasoni
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

This reminds me of something my mom would say. Not sure I can even recall the context though. I am very very into fashion and I would not have come up with this in a million years.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Just like the people who have never heard it and wonder if they grew up on a different planet, I've heard it often and wonder how others haven't.

Granted, it's not something I hear every day.

My problem with the clue was that it was a little ambiguous about whether every article they listed had polka dots.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

I've never heard it. Then again, I know very little about fashion.

I asked my mother, who watches a lot of fashion shows, and she said they use it commonly on What Not to Wear, although she also got it wrong. Definitely way more obscure than most $2000 clues, let alone $1200 ones.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

How about "never heard of it but GOT IT RIGHT ANYWAY". I didn't, but just for thoroughness's sake.
I'm smart and I want respect.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

Matchy-matchy was a favourite catch-phrase used by Stacy London and Clinton Kelly on "What Not to Wear".

:lol:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

rouquinne wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:12 pm Matchy-matchy was a favourite catch-phrase used by Stacy London and Clinton Kelly on "What Not to Wear".

Wow. I had NHO matchy-matchy, and then the clarification provided three more NHOs in quick succession: Stacy London? Clinton Kelly? "What Not to Wear"??

I need to get out more. Unless it's a TV show. Then I need to stay in more. I'm afraid pop culture will forever and ever be my Achilles' heel.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:58 pm
rouquinne wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:12 pm Matchy-matchy was a favourite catch-phrase used by Stacy London and Clinton Kelly on "What Not to Wear".

Wow. I had NHO matchy-matchy, and then the clarification provided three more NHOs in quick succession: Stacy London? Clinton Kelly? "What Not to Wear"??

I need to get out more. Unless it's a TV show. Then I need to stay in more. I'm afraid pop culture will forever and ever be my Achilles' heel.
The show went off the air 5 years ago, and was at its prime probably 10 years earlier. So probably not the best reference for someone who isn't into pop culture. I really can't think of a good recent one, besides the aforementioned Tim Gunn and Project Runway, and that's been on for 13 years.
clprez

Post by clprez »

A-ha! That's where I've heard it. It didn't ring any bells for me though in the context of the clue because that's not what I thought Stacy and Clinton's usage of matchy-matchy meant.
Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

I think the phrase has gone beyond just a phrase used on tv shows to enter the common vernacular. According to Wikipedia, the phrase was added to the OED in 2010. I barely ever watched "What Not to Wear" and I haven't seen the show in years, but I got the clue after a second or two of though, though admittedly I wasn't super confident in my answer. I think this is just an example of a clue that is at the intersection of two areas that are weak for most typical jeopardy contestants, fashion and pop culture. Fortunately those aren't weak areas for me. Now give me a classical music or opera clue and I am lost.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I'd never heard the phrase before anyway, but the wording of the clue also tripped me up:
Polka-dot jacket, pants, shirt & tie? It's this type of fashion folly
First off, I'd call it a fashion faux pas; "folly" makes it sound like a whimsical choice, like a big floppy hat or a necktie shaped like a fish. Secondly, I thought they were looking for the name of a fashion trend that specifically involved polka dots. So even if I'd heard of matchy-matchy, I wouldn't have thought to apply it to this clue.

Another approach to this might have been to give the 1990s "double denim" as a real life example of it. I'm not aware of many people going for the quadruple polka dot outside the tents of Ringling Bros.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Setho wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:26 am I think this is just an example of a clue that is at the intersection of two areas that are weak for most typical jeopardy contestants, fashion and pop culture. Fortunately those aren't weak areas for me. Now give me a classical music or opera clue and I am lost.
For those who might not be lost.... Name these three characters from Comédie-Italienne, identifiable by their costumes. (Setho is eligible too.)