TD 365 - clt013 (Final Results)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

TD 365 - clt013 (Final Results)

Post by clt013 »

Since this is the 13th TD I have created, it seems like an appropriate time to use my handle as the theme. So this one is called "clt013" and almost all of the questions have some combination of 13 letters in the "category" name and/or that number of answers while also being based on some of my experiences.  

Rules/Notes
1) Lowest point total wins; your score for each question is equal to the total number of players submitting that same answer
2) You may use one drop and take zero points for that question
3) You may elect to take the sheep answer for two questions
4) There will be a BONUS of (-5) for anyone who gives 13 correct answers and does not use a "drop" or "sheep"
5) Wrong responses are the higher of either +10 points or the "sheep" answer +3
6) All answers are due by 8 AM Central time on Tuesday, January 16, 2018
7) Submit answers via this Google form or PM

Questions

1. Happy Birthday: Name one of these people born the same year as me. (Give answer as letter followed by name.)

A. Actress - There's Something About Mary, Bad Teacher
B. Actor - All My Children, Life As We Know It
C. Rapper - Lose Yourself, 8 Mile
D. Actress - Alias, Elektra
E. Soccer star, married Nomar Garciaparra
F. Wrestler/Actor - The Scorpion King
G. Actress - Who's the Boss?, Charmed
H. Basketball center - LSU, Lakers; "Actor" - Kazaam
I. Actress - Sliding Doors, Shallow Hal
J. Actress - Modern Family, The Smurfs

2. Education Time: Like most people, I graduated from high school thirteen years after my first day as a "K" student. These answers all have at least a loose association to that time frame in somebody's life. Name one of them. (Give answer as letter followed by response.)

A. Schwarzenegger goes undercover as a teacher of youngsters in this 1990 movie
B. A religious offering of the initial agricultural harvest
C. This might be sought after an original doctor's diagnosis
D. 1999-2005 NBC drama centered on police, firefighters and paramedics in New York
E. This is "broken" when an actor or character directly addresses the audience
F. Disco instrumental #1 for Walter Murphy in 1976
G. A young boy sees dead people in this 1999 movie
H. Stephen Collins & Catherine Hicks TV show on The WB & The CW (1996-2007)
I. The Astrodome, King Kong and Andre the Giant are among a group that has been billed as this phrase that adds to an original septet
J. Top 10 song for The Verve Pipe in 1997
K. An athlete may go through this struggle after a great rookie year
L. Popular candy that was the focus of a Seinfeld episode featuring a surgery
M. 3-word phrase (6, 4 & 3 letters) to describe a specific time when many final year students intentionally ditch going to school

3. TV Show to Movie: Many TV shows that I watched (some in reruns) in my younger years were eventually made into movies. Name one of them based on actors and actresses from the TV show and movie, respectively. (Give answer as letter followed by name of show/movie.)

A. George Peppard, Jessica Biel
B. John Astin, Angelica Huston
C. David Hasselhoff, Priyanka Chopra
D. Elizabeth Montgomery, Nicole Kidman
E. Eve Plumb, Shelley Long
F. Kate Jackson, Drew Barrymore
G. Denver Pyle, Jessica Simpson
H. Barbara Feldon, Anne Hathaway
I. Saundra Santiago, Jamie Foxx
J. Casey Kasem [voice], Sarah Michelle Gellar

4. NCAA Hoops Loop: One of the Division I basketball leagues is the Missouri Valley Conference -- which includes Bradley University, the college I attended. Thirteen different schools have been in the conference at one time or another since I started at BU, but for this question name any other school that currently plays basketball in the MVC. {Hint: All but one school is located in a state beginning with "I".} [9 possible answers]

5. Maryland Mania: I lived in this mid-Atlantic locale for six years after graduating from college. Name one of these symbols or facts about the "Old Line State". (Give response as letter followed by answer.)

A. Capital
B. Largest newspaper
C. State bird
D. State crustacean
E. State dog
F. State flower
G. State reptile
H. State sport (individual)
I. State sport (team)
J. Track that hosts the Preakness Stakes

6. Pedal Thru Iowa: That is what thousands of people do each summer during an event called RAGBRAI as they bike from the state's western border (usually) to its eastern border. After returning to the state where I spent most of my pre-college years, I have participated in this annual bicycle ride on multiple occasions. Name the interstate which crosses one of the given states from the listed borders. (Give answer as letter followed by interstate.) {Note: W/E = even numbered routes, N/S = odd numbered routes}

A. Arkansas (W/E) [OK to TN]
B. Colorado (N/S) [WY to NM]
C. Georgia (W/E) [AL to SC]
D. Mississippi (N/S) [TN to LA]
E. Ohio (N/S) [MI to KY]
F. Oregon (N/S) [WA to CA]
G. Pennsylvania (N/S) [NY to MD]
H. South Dakota (W/E) [WY to MN]
I. Texas (W/E) [NM to LA]
J. Utah (W/E) [NV to WY]

7. Stage Acts Seen: Given the description, name one of these singers or comedians (granted, a rather lame list) I have seen perform on stage. (Give answer as letter followed by name.)

A. Singer - Sister of Loretta Lynn, Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
B. Comedian - Carson successor, classic car collector
C. Music group - Slide, Name
D. Music group - Hey Jealousy, Until I Fall Away
E. Singer - Once engaged to Lance Armstrong, Everyday Is a Winding Road
F. Comedian - TV pal of Kramer, gets coffee with celebrities
G. Singer/actress - Grease, Physical
H. Singer - Married Ty Murray, Who Will Save Your Soul?
I. Music group - Wilson sisters, Alone
J. Music group - One-armed drummer, Photograph

8. Venues Visited: I have seen over half of the 30 MLB teams play a home game. However, many of them (as well as a couple of NFL teams I watched) have moved on to different stadiums since the first game I attended. Given the year of one of my visits, name the current team I saw host a game in one of the listed stadiums. (Give answer as letter followed by team name.)

MLB
A. Turner Field (2000)
B. County Stadium (1982)
C. Busch Stadium (1986)
D. Kingdome (1990)
E. RFK Stadium (2005)
F. Qualcomm Stadium (1996)
G. Veterans Stadium (2001)
H. Metrodome (1988)

NFL
I. Edward Jones Dome (2015)
J. Memorial Stadium (1997)

9. PGA Tour Places: Most of my golf rounds have come at small town courses, but I also was fortunate enough to play at one PGA Tour venue. Name the state where one of these tournaments (with course name included) is held. {Hint: Think warm (state) thoughts for most of these.} (Give answer as letter followed by state name.)

A. Waste Management Phoenix Open (TPC Scottsdale)
B. Farmers Insurance Open (Torrey Pines)
C. The Players Championship (TPC Sawgrass)
D. The RSM Classic (Sea Island Resort)
E. Sentry Tournament of Champions (Plantation Course at Kapalua)
F. Sanderson Farms Championship (Country Club of Jackson)
G. Wells Fargo Championship (Quail Hollow Club)
H. The Memorial Tournament (Muirfield Village)
I. Dean & Deluca Invitational (Colonial Country Club)
J. The Greenbrier Classic (The Old White TPC)

Questions 10-12 fall under the category of Favorite Teams

10. Blue Jays (MLB): In the early 80s, I adopted Toronto as my favorite baseball team - primarily because I liked their logo. They eventually reached (and won) consecutive World Series in 1992-93. Name any franchise to appear in at least two World Series since then. {Hint: Teams by current division = AL East - 2, AL Central - 3, AL West - 2, NL East - 4, NL Central - 1, NL West - 1} [13 possible answers]

11. Penguins (NHL): On cold winter nights in Iowa with nowhere to go (and no cable TV), I sometimes listened to sports on the radio. Thanks to a strong KDKA signal - and silly Mike Lange catch phrases that teenage me found entertaining - I began following the Pittsburgh hockey club. Since then, they have made six Stanley Cup Final appearances (and won five times). Name any Penguin player to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP, any team the Penguins beat in the Stanley Cup Final or any location (city or arena counts - though not scored separately) of a Cup-clinching victory by the team. {Hints: 66 (ML), 71 (EM), 87 (SC); All cups won on the road - 3 in arenas no longer in use; 2 "Original Six" opponents; 1 team that has since moved.} [13 possible answers]

12. Seahawks (NFL): As a young child, I collected gumball helmets of all NFL teams and was excited in the late 70s when there were two new teams to add. I also decided to pick one of that pair as my favorite and went with Seattle's blue and green over Tampa's Bucco Bruce. Although the Buccaneers won one first, the Seahawks have been to three Super Bowls and also claimed a league championship. Name any team that Seattle has ever beaten in the playoffs or how many seconds elapsed before they scored in each half of Super Bowl XLVIII. {Hints: Teams by current division = AFC East - 1, AFC West - 2, NFC East - 2, NFC Central - 3, NFC South - 2, NFC West - 1; Only 3 of this year's playoff participants appear on the list} [12 possible answers]

13. "Unclassifieds": This list contains a baker's dozen's worth of "other stuff" - choose one to answer. (Include letter in response.)

A. I was born in the state which shares its name with this ship site of Japanese WWII surrender
B. A rather uninteresting school field trip took me to this Iowa town that borders both IL & WI
C. In addition to the Field of Dreams diamond, I have also been to the gym used as Hickory High's home in this movie
D. My first vacation after graduating from college included a stop at the US Olympic Training Center in this state
E. This two-word city where the Chesapeake Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean is where I have spent my most time on a boardwalk and seashore
F. Delaware was the primary site for my only one of these bicycle rides of triple digit miles in a single day
G. Most musicians I have seen in concert will probably not be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - which is located in this city
H. Visiting this (certainly not defunct) venue allowed each of the members of my family (a quartet) to be in a different state at the same time
I. I hit a few golf balls "at altitude" (and was too inept to gain much distance in the thinner air) on the University of Wyoming course in this city
J. During my 2016 visit to Cooperstown, I was able to see the Blue Jay logo on this player's plaque
K. Two of the stuffed penguins in my collection came from locations of this theme park in San Diego and Orlando
L. Both times that I visited Seattle, I took the monorail to this iconic landmark that "pierces" the sky
M. My only trip off the "mainland" of North America was to this British island territory known for being part of an "infamous" geometric shape

For the BONUS round, there are multiple paths from which to choose (#14 only, #15 only, #14 & #15 or neither) and one features the biggest bonus offered in any of my TDs. Please read the note at Question #15 before making your choice.

14. This is the more "traditional" route - answer up to six of the following questions. [Correct answer = -1, Incorrect = +1, Sheep = 0] (Give responses as letter followed by answer.)

A. Name the year of birth for everyone listed in question #1
B. Name the movie: Spike Lee, Larry Fishburne, historically black college (1988)
C. Name the TV show made into a movie: Randi Oakes, Maya Rudolph
D. Name the school which was in the MVC last season, but is now in the American Athletic Conference
E. Whose name is on Maryland's largest airport (BWI)?
F. Name the interstate that crosses: Vermont (S/N) [MA to Canada]
G. Name the two performers I saw: Wayne's World (Both names needed)
H. Name one of the two teams who played in an NHL "neutral site" regular season game I attended at the Peoria Civic Center
I. Name the PGA tournament held at the course in the Quad Cities where I have played
J. Name the last team to lose the AL Championship Series in consecutive years before the Blue Jays did in 2015-16
K. Name the only team besides the Penguins to win consecutive Stanley Cups since 1992
L. Name the only team besides the Seahawks that is unbeaten in NFC Championship (Super Bowl era) games
M. Name the location of the airport with this code: CLT

15. So maybe you think that you are hopelessly behind after the original 13 queries. This could be your ticket to an amazing comeback - just answer all of these (admittedly obscure) either/or questions [Correct answer = -1, Incorrect = +2] and if every response is correct, you have "Shot the Moon" and your -13 total will be doubled to a SUPER DUPER MEGABONUS of -26. (Give responses as letter followed by answer.)

NOTE: Those who choose to answer Question #14 can also do this one -- with the person submitting the most correct answers (no penalty for incorrect responses) receiving a BONUS of (-2) [or (-1) in the event of a tie]. If trying to "shoot the moon", you can only answer #15.

N. Which of these political figures was born on the same date (day, month, year) as me? A. South Dakota Representative Kristi Noem or B. UN Ambassador Nikki Haley
O. What adjective is used before "Pointers" in my current town's school nickname? A. Fightin' or B. Stormin'
P. For which ESPN game show did I audition? A. 2 Minute Drill or B. Stump the Schwab
Q. In which sport was I on an intramural championship team in college? A. Softball or B. Volleyball
R. In which town is the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore located? A. Princess Anne or B. Salisbury
S. In which town did RAGBRAI finish each of the two years that I biked the last day? A. Clinton or B. Muscatine
T. Which children's TV show did I (with my daughter) see on their tour? A. Dora the Explorer or B. Go Diego Go
U. Which is the only MLB team I have not seen play in person? A. Mets or B. Rangers
V. The closest I have ever come to a hole-in-one (about 1.5 feet) was at a course in which state? A. South Carolina or B. Tennessee
W. I have seen the Blue Jays play road games in seven different cities. Which of these is NOT one of them? A. Detroit or B. Milwaukee
X. I have not seen the Penguins play in their home arena, but did watch them in Washington a few times. Besides the Capitals, which teams have I seen host a game in their own arena? A. Blue Jackets and Coyotes or B. Avalanche and Hurricanes
Y. Which divisional rival did the Seahawks play during my lone visit to CenturyLink Field? A. 49ers or B. Cardinals
Z. Which country did I visit first? A. Canada or B. Mexico
Last edited by clt013 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:12 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: TD 365 - clt013

Post by Ironhorse »

The post says that question 14 can accept up to six answers but the Google Form says eight. :?
clt013

Post by clt013 »

I changed a couple of things with the questions after initially creating the form and forgot to go back and update.

Thanks for catching my error - I have made the belated corrections to the form.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Current entrant list...
Spoiler
sims
Tybalteon
Troydozzy
MarkBarrett
Rackme32

gamawire
AFRET CMS
Ironhorse
SenseiCAY
casketromance

wpwells
classicroadster
floridagator
jbeltz
Peter the accountant

ElendilPickle
badgerfellow
Peachbox
CheezeWhiz
mennoknight

bev nar
clprez
1stlvlthinker
merica
Woof

acthomas
MattKnowles
econgator
heppm01
Jimmy Greenspoon

guessonguessonguess
nklotz
Woppy T
threearuda
spell4yr

9021amyers
AmericanIdiot
coach P
Ihavejeoprosy
Last edited by clt013 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Just past the "quarter pole" of the entry period - still almost six days to join the names in the spoiler box above.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Pre-weekend bump - with at least one unused answer for each question still remaining.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Does Q-3 require both the name of the TV show and the movie if they are slightly different, or just either title?
clt013

Post by clt013 »

My intention was the name of the TV show.
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

I want credit for "Your jboard handle or other screen name" as one of my thirteen correct answers :D
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Entries still being accepted until 8 AM Central Time tomorrow (Tuesday) morning.
clt013

Re: TD 365 - clt013 (Q1-Q3 revealed)

Post by clt013 »

1. Happy Birthday: Name one of these people born the same year as me. (Give answer as letter followed by name.)

A. Actress - There's Something About Mary, Bad Teacher
B. Actor - All My Children, Life As We Know It
C. Rapper - Lose Yourself, 8 Mile
D. Actress - Alias, Elektra
E. Soccer star, married Nomar Garciaparra
F. Wrestler/Actor - The Scorpion King
G. Actress - Who's the Boss?, Charmed
H. Basketball center - LSU, Lakers; "Actor" - Kazaam
I. Actress - Sliding Doors, Shallow Hal
J. Actress - Modern Family, The Smurfs

Everybody submitted a correct response on this one - and the sheep was somebody who wasn't quite as popular a few TDs ago...

E. Mia Hamm (SHEEP) - 11
SenseiCAY
wpwells
classicroadster
badgerfellow
Peachbox
bev nar
clprez
econgator
threearuda
spell4yr
coach P

I. Gwyneth Paltrow - 8
sims
Ironhorse
casketromance
ElendilPickle
mennoknight
Woof
guessonguessonguess
nklotz

C. Eminem - 4
Troydozzy
MarkBarrett
heppm01
Jimmy Greenspoon

G. Alyssa Milano - 4
Tybalteon
1stlvlthinker
merica
actjhomas

B. Josh Duhamel - 3
floridagator
CheezeWhiz
9021amyers

H. Shaquille O'Neal - 3
Rackme32
Peter the accountant
Ihavejeoprosy

A. Cameron Diaz - 2
AFRET CMS
AmericanIdiot

F. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - 2
gamawire
MattKnowles

SINGLETONS - 1

D. Jennifer Garner
Woppy T

J. Sofia Vergara
jbeltz

2. Education Time: Like most people, I graduated from high school thirteen years after my first day as a "K" student. These answers all have at least a loose association to that time frame in somebody's life. Name one of them. (Give answer as letter followed by response.)

A. Schwarzenegger goes undercover as a teacher of youngsters in this 1990 movie
B. A religious offering of the initial agricultural harvest
C. This might be sought after an original doctor's diagnosis
D. 1999-2005 NBC drama centered on police, firefighters and paramedics in New York
E. This is "broken" when an actor or character directly addresses the audience
F. Disco instrumental #1 for Walter Murphy in 1976
G. A young boy sees dead people in this 1999 movie
H. Stephen Collins & Catherine Hicks TV show on The WB & The CW (1996-2007)
I. The Astrodome, King Kong and Andre the Giant are among a group that has been billed as this phrase that adds to an original septet
J. Top 10 song for The Verve Pipe in 1997
K. An athlete may go through this struggle after a great rookie year
L. Popular candy that was the focus of a Seinfeld episode featuring a surgery
M. 3-word phrase (6, 4 & 3 letters) to describe a specific time when many final year students intentionally ditch going to school

Still no drops or "intentional" sheep used and oh-so-close to another perfect performance…

K. Sophomore slump (SHEEP) - 8
Tybalteon
Ironhorse
casketromance
wpwells
bev nar
clprez
acthomas
AmericanIdiot

F. A Fifth of Beethoven - 7
Rackme32
AFRET CMS
Woof
heppm01
Jimmy Greenspoon
Woppy T
coach P

E. Fourth wall - 4
gamawire
ElendilPickle
1stlvlthinker
threearuda

I. Eighth Wonder of the World - 4
mennoknight
econgator
9021amyers
Ihavejeoprosy

H. 7th Heaven - 3
classicroadster
Peter the accountant
guessonguessonguess

M. Senior skip day - 3
SenseiCAY
CheezeWhiz
merica

G. The Sixth Sense - 2
MarkBarrett
MattKnowles

L. Junior Mints - 2
sims
jbeltz

SINGLETONS - 1

A. Kindergarten Cop
nklotz

B. Firstfruits
Troydozzy

C. Second opinion
floridagator

D. Third Watch
badgerfellow

J. The Freshmen
spell4yr

WRONG ANSWER - 11
Peachbox (F - Beethoven's Fifth) [Not quite the right title]

3. TV Show to Movie: Many TV shows that I watched (some in reruns) in my younger years were eventually made into movies. Name one of them based on actors and actresses from the TV show and movie, respectively. (Give answer as letter followed by name of show/movie.)

A. George Peppard, Jessica Biel
B. John Astin, Angelica Huston
C. David Hasselhoff, Priyanka Chopra
D. Elizabeth Montgomery, Nicole Kidman
E. Eve Plumb, Shelley Long
F. Kate Jackson, Drew Barrymore
G. Denver Pyle, Jessica Simpson
H. Barbara Feldon, Anne Hathaway
I. Saundra Santiago, Jamie Foxx
J. Casey Kasem [voice], Sarah Michelle Gellar

"Just the good ol' boys, never meaning no harm" - except the Dukes did prove "hazzard"ous to the point totals of those who chose them...

G. The Dukes of Hazzard (SHEEP) - 8
AFRET CMS
Ironhorse
classicroadster
floridagator
jbeltz
badgerfellow
mennoknight
guessonguessonguess

H. Get Smart - 5
ElendilPickle
Peachbox
1stlvlthinker
merica
coach P

J. Scooby-Doo - 5
Tybalteon
Troydozzy
clprez
econgator
threearuda

C. Baywatch - 4
MattKnowles
nklotz
Woppy T
spell4yr

E. The Brady Bunch - 4
sims
MarkBarrett
casketromance
Jimmy Greenspoon

B. The Addams Family - 3
Rackme32
acthomas
9021amyers

A. The A-Team - 2
gamawire
Peter the accountant

SINGLETONS - 1

D. Bewitched
CheezeWhiz

F. Charlie's Angels
heppm01

I. Miami Vice
bev nar

DROP = 0
SenseiCAY
wpwells
Woof

WRONG ANSWERS - 11
AmericanIdiot (D - I Dream of Jeannie) [Right time period for TV half, at least]
Ihavejeoprosy (D - Basketball) [Not sure what happened here]

STANDINGS AFTER Q3
1. CheezeWhiz - 7
2. gamawire - 8
2. MattKnowles - 8
2. Peter the accountant - 8
5. MarkBarrett - 10
5. 9021amyers - 10
5. Troydozzy - 10
8. jbeltz - 11
9. floridagator - 12
9. merica - 12
9. heppm01 - 12
9. Woppy T - 12
13. nklotz - 13
13. 1stlvlthinker - 13
13. Rackme32 - 13
16. sims - 14
16. SenseiCAY - 14
18. Jimmy Greenspoon - 15
18. acthomas - 15
18. Woof - 15
21. spell4yr - 16
22. AFRET CMS - 17
22. Tybalteon - 17
22. ElendilPickle - 17
25. Ihavejeoprosy - 18
26. guessonguessonguess - 19
26. wpwells - 19
28. threearuda - 20
28. mennoknight - 20
28. econgator - 20
28. badgerfellow - 20
28. bev nar - 20
28. casketromance - 20
34. AmericanIdiot - 21
35. classicroadster - 22
36. coach P - 23
37. clprez - 24
37. Ironhorse - 24
39. Peachbox - 27
clprez

Post by clprez »

Aarggh!

I wasn't paying much attention when I opened this thread, and I thought I was in the TD364 thread. I thought, oh well, two more sheep to add to the pile, but then I realized it was the first two questions of TD365. I barely finished out of last place in that TD, so let's hope I can do it again.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

clt013 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:37 pm
Ihavejeoprosy (D - Basketball) [Not sure what happened here]
I was doing this half awake on the can is what happened.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
clt013

Re: TD 365 - clt013 (Q1-Q7 revealed)

Post by clt013 »

4. NCAA Hoops Loop: One of the Division I basketball leagues is the Missouri Valley Conference -- which includes Bradley University, the college I attended. Thirteen different schools have been in the conference at one time or another since I started at BU, but for this question name any other school that currently plays basketball in the MVC. {Hint: All but one school is located in a state beginning with "I".} [9 possible answers]

Almost a third of the field bailed on this one and we have the first "orphan" answers of this TD…

Evansville (Co-SHEEP) - 5
Rackme32
Ironhorse
classicroadster
merica
threearuda

Valparaiso (Co-SHEEP) - 5
gamawire
casketromance
wpwells
spell4yr
9021amyers

Indiana State - 3
clprez
Woof
coach P

Northern Iowa - 3
floridagator
jbeltz
Ihavejeoprosy

Drake - 2
SenseiCAY
badgerfellow

Illinois State - 2
bev nar
nklotz

Missouri State (SINGLETON!) - 1
guessonguessonguess

NOT USED
Loyola (IL)
Southern Illinois

DROP = 0
sims
MarkBarrett
Peter the accountant
ElendilPickle
mennoknight
1stlvlthinker
acthomas
heppm01
Jimmy Greenspoon
Woppy T
AmericanIdiot

SHEEP - 5
AFRET CMS
MattKnowles
econgator

WRONG ANSWERS - 10
Tybalteon (Iowa State - left in 1928)
Troydozzy (Iowa State - left in 1928)
Peachbox (Creighton - left in 2013)
CheezeWhiz (Iowa State - left in 1928)

5. Maryland Mania: I lived in this mid-Atlantic locale for six years after graduating from college. Name one of these symbols or facts about the "Old Line State". (Give response as letter followed by answer.)

A. Capital
B. Largest newspaper
C. State bird
D. State crustacean
E. State dog
F. State flower
G. State reptile
H. State sport (individual)
I. State sport (team)
J. Track that hosts the Preakness Stakes

Appropriately, the horse racing site came out of the gates strong and then (after being caught by the capital) came back to claim sheep status…

J. Pimlico (SHEEP) - 9
MarkBarrett
Rackme32
gamawire
AFRET CMS
wpwells
classicroadster
jbeltz
badgerfellow
9021amyers

A. Annapolis - 8
casketromance
Peter the accountant
ElendilPickle
mennoknight
1stlvlthinker
acthomas
econgator
nklotz

B. Baltimore Sun - 5
CheezeWhiz
bev nar
merica
Woppy T
spell4yr

G. Diamondback terrapin - 4
floridagator
Peachbox
Woof
threearuda

F. Black-eyed Susan - 3
sims
SenseiCAY
Jimmy Greenspoon

C. Baltimore Oriole - 2
clprez
MattKnowles

E. Chesapeake Bay Retriever - 2
heppm01
AmericanIdiot

I. Lacrosse - 2
guessonguessonguess
Ihavejeoprosy

H. Jousting (SINGLETON!) - 1
Tybalteon

NOT USED
D. Blue crab

DROP = 0
Troydozzy
Ironhorse

WRONG ANSWER - 12
coach P (A - Baltimore)

6. Pedal Thru Iowa: That is what thousands of people do each summer during an event called RAGBRAI as they bike from the state's western border (usually) to its eastern border. After returning to the state where I spent most of my pre-college years, I have participated in this annual bicycle ride on multiple occasions. Name the interstate which crosses one of the given states from the listed borders. (Give answer as letter followed by interstate.) {Note: W/E = even numbered routes, N/S = odd numbered routes}

A. Arkansas (W/E) [OK to TN]
B. Colorado (N/S) [WY to NM]
C. Georgia (W/E) [AL to SC]
D. Mississippi (N/S) [TN to LA]
E. Ohio (N/S) [MI to KY]
F. Oregon (N/S) [WA to CA]
G. Pennsylvania (N/S) [NY to MD]
H. South Dakota (W/E) [WY to MN]
I. Texas (W/E) [NM to LA]
J. Utah (W/E) [NV to WY]

Six of one (people giving the sheep response), half a dozen of another (incorrect responses)…

E. I-75 (SHEEP) - 6
Troydozzy
casketromance
badgerfellow
clprez
heppm01
Jimmy Greenspoon

F. I-5 - 5
Rackme32
Peachbox
mennoknight
AmericanIdiot
coach P

H. I-90 - 3
merica
acthomas
econgator

A. I-40 - 2
wpwells
guessonguessonguess

B. I-25 - 2
AFRET CMS
ElendilPickle

D. I-55 - 2
spell4yr
9021amyers

G. I-81 - 2
floridagator
jbeltz

J. I-80 - 2
Tybalteon
Ironhorse

SINGLETONS - 1

C. I-20
classicroadster

I. I-10
gamawire

DROP = 0
CheezeWhiz
MattKnowles
nklotz
threearuda
Ihavejeoprosy

SHEEP - 6
MarkBarrett
1stlvlthinker

WRONG ANSWERS - 10
sims (D - I-59; Crosses MS from GA to LA, not TN to LA)
SenseiCAY (G - I-70; Does not reach NY and is W/E, not N/S)
Peter the accountant (H - I-80; Crosses Nebraska, not SD)
bev nar (C - I-16; Does not completely cross Georgia)
Woof (D - I-20; Crosses MS W/E from LA to AL)
Woppy T (H - I-80; Crosses Nebraska, not SD)

7. Stage Acts Seen: Given the description, name one of these singers or comedians (granted, a rather lame list) I have seen perform on stage. (Give answer as letter followed by name.)

A. Singer - Sister of Loretta Lynn, Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
B. Comedian - Carson successor, classic car collector
C. Music group - Slide, Name
D. Music group - Hey Jealousy, Until I Fall Away
E. Singer - Once engaged to Lance Armstrong, Everyday Is a Winding Road
F. Comedian - TV pal of Kramer, gets coffee with celebrities
G. Singer/actress - Grease, Physical
H. Singer - Married Ty Murray, Who Will Save Your Soul?
I. Music group - Wilson sisters, Alone
J. Music group - One-armed drummer, Photograph

For the second time, all thirty-nine responses were correct - and this time each answer was used between 2 and 6 times…

H. Jewel (Co-SHEEP) - 6
Ironhorse
classicroadster
floridagator
jbeltz
ElendilPickle
spell4yr

J. Def Leppard (Co-SHEEP) - 6
Troydozzy
MarkBarrett
badgerfellow
CheezeWhiz
guessonguessonguess
AmericanIdiot

A. Crystal Gayle - 5
Rackme32
Peachbox
clprez
merica
coach P

D. Gin Blossoms - 5
bev nar
Woof
Woppy T
9021amyers
Ihavejeoprosy

E. Sheryl Crow - 4
Tybalteon
gamawire
SenseiCAY
1stlvlthinker

C. Goo Goo Dolls - 3
sims
casketromance
nklotz

G. Olivia Newton-John - 3
wpwells
heppm01
Jimmy Greenspoon

I. Heart - 3
mennoknight
acthomas
econgator

B. Jay Leno - 2
AFRET CMS
Peter the accountant

F. Jerry Seinfeld - 2
MattKnowles
threearuda

STANDINGS AFTER Q7
1. MattKnowles - 17
2. heppm01 - 23
3. nklotz - 26
4. gamawire - 27
4. floridagator - 27
4. Jimmy Greenspoon - 27
7. CheezeWhiz - 28
7. Peter the accountant - 28
7. Ihavejeoprosy - 28
10. acthomas - 29
11. merica - 30
11. sims - 30
11. guessonguessonguess - 30
14. MarkBarrett - 31
14. 9021amyers - 31
14. jbeltz - 31
14. 1stlvlthinker - 31
14. threearuda - 31
19. Troydozzy - 32
19. Woppy T - 32
21. SenseiCAY - 33
21. ElendilPickle - 33
23. spell4yr - 34
23. Tybalteon - 34
23. AmericanIdiot - 34
26. AFRET CMS - 35
27. mennoknight - 36
28. Rackme32 - 37
28. Woof - 37
28. Ironhorse - 37
31. wpwells - 38
32. econgator - 39
33. clprez - 40
34. bev nar - 42
34. casketromance - 42
36. badgerfellow - 43
36. classicroadster - 43
38. coach P - 48
39. Peachbox - 51
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Doing reasonably well for once. Still time to sink, though!
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Rats. Knew a couple of the interstates for sure (been up and down I-5 more times than I can count), but tried to pick one I thought would be less popular. And even then I had company with the wrong answer. Yet another case of overthinking a TD.
--Peter
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I've really got to stop underestimating the sports knowledge of boardies...stunned Evansville and Valpo were the co-sheeps.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

threearruda wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm I've really got to stop underestimating the sports knowledge of boardies...stunned Evansville and Valpo were the co-sheeps.
I hear ya. I weighed Evansville and SIU (sheep / unused). Of course I went with the sheep :lol:
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

threearruda wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm I've really got to stop underestimating the sports knowledge of boardies...stunned Evansville and Valpo were the co-sheeps.
Valpo just joined the conference this year to take the place of a departing team whose identity is yet to be revealed in this game; I was hoping most contestants weren’t aware of it yet.

Should have gone with Loyola, the second-newest member of the conference, instead.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

9021amyers wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:53 pm
Valpo just joined the conference this year to take the place of a departing team whose identity is yet to be revealed in this game; I was hoping most contestants weren’t aware of it yet.

Should have gone with Loyola, the second-newest member of the conference, instead.
same thinking with valparaiso...was going to to go missouri state, but since that is the only one in a non I state, thought that might have been used more than it was