Tuesday, January 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7677, 2018-01-16

Gilbert Collins game 5.

CONTESTANTS
David Rosen, a lawyer from Syosset, New York
Olivia Ochoa, an arts administrator from Seattle, Washington
Gilbert Collins, a university administrator from Princeton, New Jersey (whose 4-day cash winnings total $51,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, everyone, and welcome. I've been talking about this in the new year, that our wins this season on Jeopardy! have been modest wins. $14,000; $15,000. Case in point, our champion, Gilbert. Fifty grand for four appearances. I'm waiting for a big blockbuster win. Olivia, David, Gilbert--give it to me today. Here are the categories to get you started.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE BRITISH INVASION (3/5)
NAME THAT WORLD LEADER (5/5)
GETTING POSSESSIVE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POTPOURRI (4/5)
BOOK SERIES (3/5)
"DIS" IS IT (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
David: 9 R, 1 W
Gilbert: 7 R, 0 W
Olivia: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Gilbert: $1,800
David: $1,200
Olivia: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: David Rosen is an attorney from New York, and I'm a little leery of asking this, but I know you have composed what you call the Trebek Limerick.

David: Yes, sir.

Alex: Go ahead.

David: There once was a man named Trebek,/ who was stuck in ice to his neck./ When asked, "Are ya froze?"/ he said, "I suppose,/ though it's not really cold for Quebec."

[Laughter and applause]

Alex: That's not bad. That's not bad. Give that an A.

Alex: Olivia Ochoa is from Seattle, Washington. And this young lady enjoys traveling. And one of the joys of visiting London is that you get to go to a lot of plays. And that's what you did in extremis.

Olivia: Yes. I studied abroad in London in college, and I saw about 40 plays in 4 months. Everywhere from the West End to the back rooms of pubs. It was pretty incredible.

Alex: Okay.

Olivia: Yeah.

Alex: Great.

Alex: Gilbert Collins is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. It's not the right time of the year, so I couldn't go to your house and expect you to barbecue something for me, but how many grills have you got?

Gilbert: I have five grills.

Alex: Why?

Gilbert: Love grilling. We have a gas grill, kind of a kettle grill, a couple little Smoky Joe camping ones, and also a big smoker, my favorite one of all.

Alex: And which dish do you prepare par excellence?

Gilbert: Definitely barbecue pork ribs.

Alex: Okay.

Gilbert: Low and slow, six hours. Fantastic.

Alex: I'm free this spring, in case you want to issue an invitation.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Olivia found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Gilbert had $4,400, Olivia had $1,400, and David was at $2,000. Olivia wagered $1,000.

GETTING POSSESSIVE $800: In the 120s A.D. the Romans built this structure that extended from Solway Firth to the River Tyne

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BOOK SERIES $600: Played on TV by Anna Paquin, she's the telepathic barmaid & heroine of Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire novels
(Olivia: What is True Blood?)

BOOK SERIES $1000: V.C. Andrews is best remembered for her series about the Dollanganger kids, which began with this 1979 book

"DIS" IS IT $1000: The medal seen here--it's awarded for heroism or extraordinary achievement in aerial combat
(David: What is the Distinguished Air Medal?)

THE BRITISH INVASION $800: This group made a film as well as a hit song called "Ferry Cross The Mersey"

THE BRITISH INVASION $1000: She had a string of hits in the U.S. beginning with "I Only Want To Be With You"

POTPOURRI $800: 1970s TV writer Fred Fox Jr. asks about this phrase, "Then why did the show stay on the air for six more seasons?"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Gilbert: $4,400
David: $3,600
Olivia: $3,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FIRST-TIME EMMY NOMINEES 2017 (3/5)
DOC TALK (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HARD "C" (5/5)
ANCIENT TIMES (4/5)
ETYMOLOGY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE FLOOR IS LAVA (3/5) (Alex: We'll give you a volcano, and you have to tell us the location whose floor could be covered with lava.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
David: 14 R, 2 W
Gilbert: 8 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Olivia: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Gilbert snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Gilbert had $8,800, Olivia had $5,400, and David was at $8,000. Gilbert wagered $2,000.

ETYMOLOGY $2000: This adjective meaning angry may come from the name of 3 avenging goddesses of ancient myth
(Alex: From the Furies.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Gilbert who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Gilbert had $14,800, Olivia had $6,200, and David was at $13,200. Gilbert wagered $2,000.

DOC TALK $2000: I've got tinea pedis, this condition, so stop calling me a couch potato
(Gilbert: What is ringworm?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before Final Jeopardy!]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FIRST-TIME EMMY NOMINEES 2017 $400: Someone finally recognized Robert De Niro's talent, in his performance as this swindler

FIRST-TIME EMMY NOMINEES 2017 $1600: Years after he was "Major Dad" & one of the Simons, Gerald McRaney got a nomination as an OB/GYN on this NBC show

ANCIENT TIMES $1600: Chariot races were held in this largest Roman stadium for almost a thousand years, the last being in 549 A.D.
(David: What is the hippodrome?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(David: The Roman Hippodrome.)

THE FLOOR IS LAVA $2000: Mount Pelee, on this French territory of the West Indies

THE FLOOR IS LAVA $400: Mount Pinatubo on this island of the Philippines
(David: What is Java?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Gilbert: $16,800
David: $16,400
Olivia: $6,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVELS OF THE 1960s

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Gilbert: Wager $16,001 to cover David. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $3,601.
David: Your score is within 4/5ths of Gilbert's, so wager between $801 (venusian) and $3,999 (martian), beating Gilbert's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Olivia's part.
Olivia: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by David, but if David decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $5,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The line "Once when you are born & once when you look death in the face" follows this title of a 1964 novel & an action-packed 1967 film

FINAL SCORES
Olivia: $6,200 - $5,500 = $700 (What is You Only Live Once) (3rd place: $1,000)
David: $16,400 + $3,000 = $19,400 (What is "You Only Live Twice") (2nd place: $2,000)
Gilbert: $16,800 + $16,001 = $32,801 (What is You Only Live Twice?) (5-day champion: $84,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Gilbert: $16,800, 15 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
David: $16,400, 23 R, 3 W
Olivia: $6,000, 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $39,200

BATTING AVERAGES
David: 24/58 = .414
Gilbert: 16/60 = .267
Olivia: 11/59 = .186
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HARD "C" $400: One gardening encyclopedia says it's a name for generally obnoxious weeds, particularly in lawns

HARD "C" $1200: It's the name for the white siding on the house seen here
(David: What is [*] [CLAB-erd]? ...[*] [CLAP-board].)
(Alex: That's it.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Hadrian's Wall
Sookie Stackhouse
Flowers in the Attic
the Distinguished Flying Cross
Gerry and the Pacemakers
Dusty Springfield
jumping the shark
furious
athlete's foot (or ringworm)
Bernie Madoff
This is Us
the Circus Maximus
Martinique
Luzon
You Only Live Twice
crabgrass
clapboard
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVELS OF THE 1960s

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The line “once when you are born & once when you look death in the face” follows this title of a 1964 novel & an action-packed 1967 film

Gilbert Collins: 16800+16001=32801 (5x = $84,201)
Olivia Ochoa: 6200-5500=700
David Rosen: 16400+3000=19400

Correct response:
Spoiler
You Only Live Twice (Olivia – You Only Live Once)

Daily Doubles
Olivia: 1400+1000
Gilbert: 8800+2000
Gilbert: 14800+2000

Coryats
Gilbert: 16800
Olivia: 6000
David: 16400

Combined: 39,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Gilbert: 4400
Olivia: 3400
David: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The reversal on DD3 made all the difference today.

DOC TALK $2000 (Daily Double): I’ve got tinea pedis, this condition, so stop calling me a couch potato

Alex wanted athlete’s foot and Gilbert had ringworm. 😊

To BMS or not to BMS opened the game: NAME THAT WORLD LEADER $200 - Canada: Beginning in 2015

Olivia: Who is Trudeau?
Alex: Justin Trudeau is right.

A later clue did have a BMS with an unsuccessful attempt at adding to “The Hippodrome.”

Today was a good example of why not to skip story time with David’s limerick.

There once was man named Trebek
Who was stuck in ice to his neck
When asked are you froze
He said I suppose
Though it’s not really cold for Quebec

Alex said not bad and gave it an 8.

Fans of 1960s music had their spring the trapdoor moments at THE BRITISH INVASION $800: This group made a film as well as a hit song called “Ferry Cross the Mersey”

Or if that did not do it then $1000 was a stumper as well: She had a string of hits in the U.S. beginning with “I Only Want to Be with You”

The positive was not only the completion of that category but all others as well for the first 61-clue game of 2018.

When Alex gave the FJ! category NOVELS OF THE 1960s he just had to add, “You’re all too young.” Sure enough the players gave 2.75 correct responses.

My precalls of the famous Lee or Capote works did not materialize for me and as I always do with a choice of quote, novel or film path I went the movie route. In the Heat of the Night (no doubt 1967) is a lot of things though certainly not action-packed. I had no idea if Bullit was a novel or not, but I was sure it was 1968 so that was out.

James Bond and Ian Fleming never occurred to me, so liking it for the year and knowing it had zero chance for the novel angle I wrote Bonnie and Clyde.

If I had been close like Olivia I could have converted the correct title. My problem was paying no attention to the line from the book in thinking it was not going to help me. Ouch if anyone got to the right author and main character and had wrong work such as, Live and Let Die.

Well done by the players almost making it a 3/3. Gilbert’s victory was just about as if he read the posts from yesterday putting him in Bronze and comparing him to Paul Nelson and Rani Peffer. Instead he went up a level to Kara Spak and Sarah McNitt Land.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ight=nehru

In this game, just saying "Nehru" was not enough. Today, it was. Different day, different ruling.

Seeing as how they gave the specific scientific name for it, I'm a little surprised they took ringworm for athlete's foot. Anybody with more medical knowledge than me care to weigh in?

The FJ took me a bit to puzzle out. I got it from the wording, though I really wasn't 100% sure as I didn't know exactly when the Bond novels were written.

Congrats to Gilbert on making the TOC and congrats to his kids on winning $328.01 today.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:44 pm Seeing as how they gave the specific scientific name for it, I'm a little surprised they took ringworm for athlete's foot. Anybody with more medical knowledge than me care to weigh in?
A cursory Google tells me that there are enough hits for ringworm with that scientific name that there would have been justifiable anger had it not been reversed.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:53 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:44 pm Seeing as how they gave the specific scientific name for it, I'm a little surprised they took ringworm for athlete's foot. Anybody with more medical knowledge than me care to weigh in?
A cursory Google tells me that there are enough hits for ringworm with that scientific name that there would have been justifiable anger had it not been reversed.
Thanks.

He may rate better than bronze. He has been in the lead going into FJ all five games.

I don't think Trudeau merited a BMS in this game.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

It would have been better if they'd asked him to be more specific. Tinea is ringworm; tinea pedis is ringworm of the foot, aka athlete's foot.

I'd argue "ringworm" is not a correct enough answer for the clue as written.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 pm I don't think Trudeau merited a BMS in this game.
If 'Canadian leader Trudeau' doesn't merit a BMS just because they gave us the year, then they can pretty much forget BMSing any last name ever again. Of course, as you mentioned they went back to accepting just 'Nehru', so who the !@#$ knows what their standards are anymore.

Once + once? Twice. 1960s book + action movie? Instaget FJ. Welcome to the TOC, Gilbert. I wouldn't have guessed 5 games when he started, but this has been an enjoyable run.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

FJ was hyper-instaget for me, as Bond is one of my specialities. I was humming Nancy Sinatra for most of the Think Music.

I was wondering if "St. Patrick" for "St. Patrick's" was going to be reviewed, since the category was about possessives.

Glad Gilbert is making it to the TOC - he's a solid player.

Loved the Haiku
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I was surprised to see a viral meme/game/challenge show up as a category.

For those not familiar with The Floor is Lava, it started off as a children's game where someone yells out that the floor is lava and kids run around until they find a space above ground to escape. In the age of cell phones and YouTube, it's gotten to a whole new level.
https://youtu.be/DuphWp_8WTY
Last edited by lisa0012 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

OSXpert wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:35 pm Loved the Haiku
Limerick.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yay, we finally completed both boards!

"Presenter" didn't sound like it narrowed down to any Microsoft program over any other to me. Maybe it's the Mac user in me.

Should I do another poll of my own? If so, the Madoff clue is going in it. Probably nevus = mole too, because I can think of a lot of things on the skin.

How does "Hippodrome" BMS to "Circus Maximus"?

Etymology was tough. I didn't have a single one of those.

Still no guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: jumping the shark.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yesterday Alex noticed a Steve Tyler connection with the challenger names and mentioned a possible performance without naming Aerosmith. Today had a Scandal one with David Rosen the character played by Joshua (2x J! celeb player) Malina and Olivia the main character on the show.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Were they really not going to accept David's first pronunciation of "clapboard"? In my opinion that's the only correct pronunciation.

No way I was going to miss "Distinguished Flying Cross". My father had two of them.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:47 pm Should I do another poll of my own? If so, the Madoff clue is going in it.
TV categories are usually money in the bank for me, but remembering who was in what miniseries I didn't watch? Oof.
How does "Hippodrome" BMS to "Circus Maximus"?
Hippodrome means place for horse/chariot races. They wanted a specific chariot racing stadium. Though hippodrome is Greek...*shrug*
hscer

Post by hscer »

proudest i've been of a FJ solve in a while
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I'm fine with ringworm, though I wouldn't have complained about a BMS there - especially since the couch potato part of the clue led to the specific answer as well. Once they negged it, though, it wouldn't have been fair not to reverse.

Worked through FJ because I wanted to go to Godfather right away, but the subtitle didn't really fit. Had to be something about two lives and I'm probably lucky to remember that one because Bond movies may be my least favorite category of all-time.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 pm It would have been better if they'd asked him to be more specific. Tinea is ringworm; tinea pedis is ringworm of the foot, aka athlete's foot.

I'd argue "ringworm" is not a correct enough answer for the clue as written.
In light of the fact that there are reputable sources (WebMD) which equate "ringworm" with "tinea pedis", the burden of proof to justify a reversal is absolutely there, in my opinion.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $23,000
LT: "Jump(ing) the shark"
DDs: 3/3 :shock:
FJ!: :mrgreen:

Ran Etymology.

I thought I heard a couple times during the "Possessive" category that Olivia didn't add the "s", such as on "Tim Hortons" (which actually doesn't have the apostrophe because of the Quebec language laws indicating French is to be used before English, and any trade names need to be changed to a French form. If it were "Tim Horton's" in English, in Quebec they'd have to call it "Chez Tim Horton").

Instaget FJ!, and heartbreaking for Olivia to have missed it in the way she did.