Tuesday, January 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:33 pm
Instaget FJ!, and heartbreaking for Olivia to have missed it in the way she did.
Unfortunate, but she would have come in third anyway. This was the second day in a row (and the fourth time in recent weeks) that a player has had the right idea on FJ, but just gotten the wording slightly wrong.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

came home just in time to catch FJ!, wondered what I missed. Instaget FJ!, gonna hide from the social media re the reversal.
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 pm
OSXpert wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:35 pm Loved the Haiku
Limerick.
Actually there was one of each in this episode. The passage in the FJ clue is a haiku (at least, Bond's attempt at writing one).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:06 pmInstead he went up a level to Kara Spak and Sarah McNitt Land.
Are he and they the only inhabitants?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 pm
OSXpert wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:35 pm Loved the Haiku
Limerick.
IN THE SPRING.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

35 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Flowers in the Attic, Circus Maximus, (*Athlete's Foot*), Martinique, Luzon
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Anybody precall the ringworm reversal? Kudos to you if you did. Caught me totally by surprise. Tough break for David to get barely edged out by that. Gilbert's timid DD wagers almost let him have the game anyway.

Good on David for realizing he could move things along by giving the non-native pronunciation of "clapboard." Alex should've had a pronunciation note on his cheat sheet.

I'm definitely on the side of Trudeau needing a BMS. This seems like a textbook case.
hscer

Post by hscer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:07 pm

I'm definitely on the side of Trudeau needing a BMS. This seems like a textbook case.
"the...alive one" ; p
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
davey

Post by davey »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:33 pm Coryat: $23,000
LT: "Jump(ing) the shark"
DDs: 3/3 :shock:
FJ!: :mrgreen:

Ran Etymology.

I thought I heard a couple times during the "Possessive" category that Olivia didn't add the "s", such as on "Tim Hortons" (which actually doesn't have the apostrophe because of the Quebec language laws indicating French is to be used before English, and any trade names need to be changed to a French form. If it were "Tim Horton's" in English, in Quebec they'd have to call it "Chez Tim Horton").
No question she left the s's out in Patrick's and Hortons and next got away with the Daily Double, which I found double irritating... :twisted:
Glad it didn't affect the outcome of the game...
From the category I was thinking in more literary terms - and American - like Catch-22 or Portnoy's Complaint - but that clue was very specific...
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I like the limerick, though I think it would benefit from an "up" in line 2. As it appears here, it needs to be stressed unnaturally in order to scan.

My VJ precall was "Valley of the Dolls", but I was up to the necessary arithmetic.

Congrats to Gilbert!
I'm smart and I want respect.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Did David pick up the $2K for the rebound on Athlete's foot? If so, he really has no reason for sour grapes as he would have been another $2k behind if it played out organically. I thought it was a lousy WAG by Gilbert, instead, it was almost genius! I guess they're lucky he didn't go with "jock itch".

Could not make sense of the FJ clue but glad to learn about the witty prose in the subtitle. I actually teased with Bullitt (mentioned earlier) only because of the recent news about the car being reintroduced (and Molly McQueen, whoever that is). Finally went with "The Great Escape" knowing it was probably a few years earlier.

I'm unable to recall a single wrong answer in regular play from Gilbert in his reign. Looking back at Coryats, there is a single $200 differential on one day if I correctly applied the DD valuations. I'm glad he was forced into a nice payday but today was a close one!

I see no freaking need to BMS for Justin Trudeau in the context of that clue. Only fancy pants say "clabberd" siding around here. We just say "asbestos", if we can afford it. Great charge by David at the end, with Gilbert just getting in enough to stay in striking range.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I also missed FJ by saying "You Only Live Once." It was a complete guess, but it never occurred to me to, you know, count.
Teems with quiet fun.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:33 pm he Quebec language laws indicating French is to be used before English, and any trade names need to be changed to a French form. If it were "Tim Horton's" in English, in Quebec they'd have to call it "Chez Tim Horton").
I don't think that's right. That language law doesn't apply to global businesses. So McDonald's is OK and Horton's is too (if that's its name) but a local business would have to comply. Even so, one of the most famous eateries in Montreal has a sign out front reading Schwartz's.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:33 pm

I thought I heard a couple times during the "Possessive" category that Olivia didn't add the "s", such as on "Tim Hortons" (which actually doesn't have the apostrophe because of the Quebec language laws indicating French is to be used before English, and any trade names need to be changed to a French form. If it were "Tim Horton's" in English, in Quebec they'd have to call it "Chez Tim Horton").
I noticed the same thing. I was almost certain there would be a reversal on "Tim Hortons" for that very reason, and thought it was very surprising/inconsistent that there was none. Would have liked the BMS on Trudeau; that Pierre is deceased is immaterial. There are many times where contestants name a deceased individual when they want one who is still living.

Anywho, this is the best game I've seen in a while in terms of contestant performance. The ending left a sour taste in my mouth, though; David had the lead going into FJ, and due to a reversal Gilbert had it the next moment. The culprit was, again, the judging. Should have either BMS'd or told him it was correct in the first place.
twelvefootbooy wrote:Did David pick up the $2K for the rebound on Athlete's foot?
It was a daily double.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got "You Only Live Twice."

I was 2/3 on daily doubles and missed Athlete's Foot with a "Flat Footed" guess. After Googling the ringworm connection it looks like Ringworm is a fungus infection that infects the skin and athlete's foot is caused by the same fungi. Athlete's foot is just a local and specific type of ringworm, it should either be ruled correct or it could prompt a BMS.

There was something especially interesting for me in this game. I might have the numbers slightly mixed up. The last clue of the game was for 1600 and Gilbert had 12800 and David had 14800. There was no way for David to be passed by Gilbert unless David rings in, misses, and Gilbert rebounds. David did ring in and answer correctly. My immediate thought was "No, no don't ring in, oh no."

But it does make sense to ring in even when you have an insurmountable lead. It never occurred to me until now but if there is a score change before Final Jeopardy that last response might make or break the game for you.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:17 pm Even so, one of the most famous eateries in Montreal has a sign out front reading Schwartz's.
If you look very closely, you'll notice the word "Chez" in front of "Schwartz's", as well as a large sign reading "CHARCUTERIE HEBRAIQUE". Schwartz's predates Bill 101 by some margin (and Montreal is much more Anglophone than the rest of Quebec), yet they still have to comply.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought it was absolutely bizarre they let Olivia get away with not once, but twice not responding with a possessive when the category was "Getting Possessive." I don't get it.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 pm I thought it was absolutely bizarre they let Olivia get away with not once, but twice not responding with a possessive when the category was "Getting Possessive." I don't get it.
Yes, in a sense she "lived twice" on those clues...and then she couldn't take the hint on FJ!... ;)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:15 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 pm I thought it was absolutely bizarre they let Olivia get away with not once, but twice not responding with a possessive when the category was "Getting Possessive." I don't get it.
Yes, in a sense she "lived twice" on those clues...and then she couldn't take the hint on FJ!... ;)
I didn't get the vibe that the contestants needed to demonstrate mastery of the apostrophe "s", but just the theme of the category was subjects that have a possessive name in common. There weren't any tricks in the conversion like there can be with plurals or verb conjugations, etc.. It's just a theme, folks, not a big mental challenge like drawing a clock or identifying a rhinoceros like our POTUS can handle. (Ironic that we had a rhino clue tonight).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.