2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante »

Either I've been slacking off or this year's been slower with the just mainstream enough to be a J! clue but not mainstream enough to flood the main stream media. Six of one, probably...

Got a good feeling about this one:
https://gizmodo.com/massive-diamond-dis ... 1822089592
Workers at Lesotho’s Letšeng mine have discovered an absolute whopper of a diamond, rated at 910-carats. Roughly the size of two golf balls, the precious gem has an estimated value of $40 million
It's the 5th largest diamond discovered.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

Dolores O’Riordan, singer of the Cranberries, has died suddenly at age 46. No zombie jokes, please.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

9021amyers wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:08 pm Dolores O’Riordan, singer of the Cranberries, has died suddenly at age 46. No zombie jokes, please.
Jeopardy connection: the Cranberries' 1993 full-length debut album, Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?, was released on Island Records, subject of a recent FJ!.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Phil Murphy sworn in as Governor of New Jersey today, replacing Chris Christie who has a much easier to remember name.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Nestle has agreed to sell its U.S. confectionery business to Italy’s Ferrero for $2.8 billion. Ferraro, which owns the Nutella and Ferraro Rocher brands, will acquire, among other brands, Baby Ruth, Butterfinger and Nestle's Crunch. The acquisition will move Ferraro into third place in the U.S. candy market, behind Hershey and Mars.

The A.V. Club has a preview of this year's "50 Most Anticipated Movies". Some of these are based on material that has previously come up on Jeopardy: https://www.avclub.com/the-a-v-club-s-5 ... 1822091007

On the evening of January 16, a large (6 feet in diameter) meteor fell to Earth west-northwest of Detroit. People throughout the Great Lakes region reported seeing the fireball. The meteor was classified as a "super bolide", meaning that its brightness was between that of the full moon and the Sun:
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 1040040001
Last edited by Blue Lion on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tuesday, January 30th is the State of the Union with the Democratic response given by: TBD

That also means J! won't be airing at 7 in the West. I would not bet on a full airing by 7:30 either PT.
Volante

Post by Volante »

North and South Korea will enter the opening Winter Olympic ceremony under the same flag.
https://www.salon.com/2018/01/17/north- ... -olympics/

The Korean women's ice hockey team will also have a unified player base.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Jacinda Ardern, the Prime Minister of New Zealand, announces her first child is due in June.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

mfc248 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:38 am Jacinda Ardern, the Prime Minister of New Zealand, announces her first child is due in June.
We just had a clue about the first U.S. governor to give birth in office. Is this the first case of an elected head of a national government giving birth in office?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

9021amyers wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:07 am
mfc248 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:38 am Jacinda Ardern, the Prime Minister of New Zealand, announces her first child is due in June.
We just had a clue about the first U.S. governor to give birth in office. Is this the first case of an elected head of a national government giving birth in office?
Nope, Benazir Bhutto gave birth while in office in 1990.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Woof wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:38 am
That confirms my main suspicion.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Depending on how you define the head of government, you've also got Queen Elizabeth. And before her, Queen Victoria. And since there is no time limit in the question, there's a few millennia and hundreds (thousands?) of countries to explore if you want to look for the first case.

The first US state governor to give birth while in office is a much easier question, since you have a fairly limited pool of candidates and less than 250 years of pretty well-documented history to search.
--Peter
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:14 pm
Depending on how you define the head of government, you've also got Queen Elizabeth. And before her, Queen Victoria. And since there is no time limit in the question, there's a few millennia and hundreds (thousands?) of countries to explore if you want to look for the first case.

The first US state governor to give birth while in office is a much easier question, since you have a fairly limited pool of candidates and less than 250 years of pretty well-documented history to search.
Hence, why I specified elected heads of government.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

9021amyers wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:39 pm Hence, why I specified elected heads of government.
Sorry about that. I failed to RTFQ yet again. :oops:
--Peter
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

While we're on the topic of elected officials giving birth, Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Washington) has given birth to the most children (three) while a member of Congress. It is believed that in 1973, Yvonne Braithwaite Burke (D-California) was the first member to give birth while a member of that chamber.

This spring, Tammy Duckworth (D-Illinois) will have the distinction of being the first U.S. Senator to give birth while in office.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

That's some serious dedication to the job! You'd think she would've gone to a hospital.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Sorry, sorry, sorry to have to add this, but
Spoiler
Kim Kardashian and Kanye West
have named their third child "Chicago" after her father's hometown. Whether this name is a keeper remains to be seen. The word translates to "stinking onion" in the native tongue. Who's going to tell them? Not me. :lol:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

squarekara wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:02 pm Sorry, sorry, sorry to have to add this, but
Spoiler
have named their third child "Chicago" after her father's hometown. Whether this name is a keeper remains to be seen. The word translates to "stinking onion" in the native tongue. Who's going to tell them? Not me. :lol:
Must get very, very drunk and hope I pee out the brain cell that wrecklessly opened the spoiler box. Thanks for trying to save us. Yes, I will not change the spelling of "wrecklessly", either. Go suck on it spell-check.

Mod- Pleasure yourself to delete this as off-topic since this thread seems to be more factual than social. i will myself if I have the power.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 pm
squarekara wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:02 pm Sorry, sorry, sorry to have to add this, but
Spoiler
Must get very, very drunk and hope I pee out the brain cell that wrecklessly opened the spoiler box. Thanks for trying to save us. Yes, I will not change the spelling of "wrecklessly", either. Go suck on it spell-check.

Mod- Pleasure yourself to delete this as off-topic since this thread seems to be more factual than social. i will myself if I have the power.
If I didn't have my time booked 120% this past week I would've posted it anyway. It's going to be a clue. Accept it in the way you are accustom to.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:29 pm If I didn't have my time booked 120% this past week I would've posted it anyway. It's going to be a clue. Accept it in the way you are accustom to.
Yep. From what I gather between the screen freezes and the lag, HQ Trivia asked for the correct birth order of
Spoiler
the three Kardashian sisters
just the other day.